D
Legend
Legend
D
Yet some people want/wanted him over Gordon in the second round

Legend
Legend
Quote:

This article does not show Geno Smith in a positive light.

Here is one of the low-lights:

Quote:

Two sources indicated that when Smith went on some visits to teams, rather than interact with coaches and front-office people, he would spend much of his time on his cell phone. Instead of being engaged with team officials, he would be texting friends or reading Twitter or a number of other distracting activities.

He sounds like a real winner. There is some other pretty bad stuff in the article.

Wow. Sure doesn't say much for his commitment to football if he is texting while meeting with teams and trying to sell them on why they should pick him.

He sounds like a moron, actually.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
I read that article too. This probably has more to do with his drop than anything his agents did or did not do. Any mature adult regardless of their walk in life needs some introspection. A professional athlete at the highest levels of competition needs to be able to look inside of him or her self and honestly assess their strengths and weaknesses and do so perhaps more frequently than the average John Q. If you are unable or unwilling to do this it will eventually catch up with you. The deficiencies don't have to be athletic to jeopardise your career.

Legend
Legend
When I was hiring people for my restaurant, it would always amaze me when kids would come in for interviews, and whip out their phones and start texting right in the middle of the interview. I told most of them that they weren't getting the job, and that's why ..... because I figured that they needed to know. It's obvious that no one had ever taught them along the way.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c

If the FO missed on Geno, bonefish is going top be ravaged!

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

all will be forgotten if he beats Sanchez out

OMG, I can just imagine the uproar if/when he doesn't beat out Sanchez!
This is gonna be awesome

I don't think you will have to worry about it. I think Sanchez will be gone before camp starts.

So, it's going to be Garrard, Smith and McElroy? What if he doesn't beat out McElroy?

C
Legend
Legend
C
Don't forget Matt Simms.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Don't forget Matt Simms.

I think they'd cut Matt Simms before they cut Geno Smith. It would be funny though if the cut Garrard and Sanchez and Geno Smith couldn't beat out Greg McElroy or Matt Simms and was relegated to 3rd string.

Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
j/c

New York Jets rookie Geno Smith doesn't resent critics

By Marc Sessler
Around the League Writer
Published: May 10, 2013 at 02:01 p.m. Updated: May 10, 2013 at 07:44 p.m.

HQ video delivered by Akamai
At some point along the way, Geno Smith will be judged for his play on the field. For the rookie, that time can't come soon enough, but he insists he isn't bitter.

Rapoport: Geno Smith's raw deal
Ian Rapoport says the buzz about Geno Smith's search for an agent stems from preconceived notions about the QB. More ...
The New York Jets quarterback met with reporters after Friday's rookie minicamp practice and said the post-draft microscope he has lived under hasn't affected him.

"I don't resent any of it. I don't pay attention to any of it," Smith said. "I just focus on what I can control, and that's being a Jet quarterback, being a great teammate and just getting better as a quarterback."

Smith was asked where he believed the waves of criticism -- picking apart everything from his attitude to his desire for the game -- originated from.

"I'm guessing you guys would know better than I do. I can't really say. ... I kind of get these questions a lot, and it's kind of like, 'I don't know,' " Smith said.

Badgered again to sum up "what he's learned" since the draft, Smith calmly answered the question.

"I think it's been a more eventful few weeks for the media. I'm just being my natural old self. Nothing's changed," Smith said. "I'm not feeling any way toward any of it. I could care less about it. My only job is to focus on what I have here and to get better."

Here's what else we learned Friday:

» Keep in mind these numbers mean literally zero, but Rich Cimini of ESPN New York noted that Smith was 6 for 10 passing in team drills, with one sack, one drop and a batted pass. Smith also underthrew a deep ball and appeared tentative cycling through his progressions. He went 11 for 15 in seven-on-sevens, showing "good zip" and "decent ball placement," per Cimini.

» Smith said veteran quarterback David Garrard has emerged as an early helper. "He spoke to me about just how he looks forward to competing with me and teaching me and mentoring me," Geno said, "and I told him, 'I'm all ears, I'm an open sponge.' "

» After practice, Smith gave himself an "F" after spending Thursday night locked away with his offensive linemen, nose in the playbook. "I've been studying my butt off," Smith said, via Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News. "I've been in the playbook learning formations and learning protections."

Follow Marc Sessler on Twitter @MarcSesslerNFL.

As someone who criticized Smith's demeanor, with him thrown in to the merciless New York media environment and the soap opera atmosphere of the Jets organization I want to acknowledge that Smith appears to have handled the start of rookie camp pretty well. Good for him. He'll have to keep it up over the long term.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Geno Smith fires agent, reportedly over draft fall

Link Copied to Clipboard