Next Thread
Print Thread
CalDawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Draft Fallout: Cleveland Browns

By Marc Sessler

The 2013 NFL Draft transformed 32 NFL rosters. Around The League will examine the aftershocks in our Draft Fallout series. Next up: The Cleveland Browns.
The Big Question: Have the Browns assembled a scary front seven?

Cleveland Browns CEO Joe Banner intimated post-draft that coach Rob Chudzinski was hired partly because of his philosophy of attacking the opponent. This year's Browns are being molded to go after teams on offense with a vertical passing game and, on defense, with a new cast of pass rushers hired to disrupt the enemy.

Cleveland's draft haul generated some curiosity, but there's little mystery behind what the Browns did at No. 6 overall. Selecting LSU's Barkevious Mingo to pair across from free-agent addition Paul Kruger gives Cleveland an intriguing pair of edge rushers in defensive coordinator Ray Horton's 3-4 scheme. Ben Roethlisberger and Joe Flacco have had their way with Cleveland for years in the AFC North, but the Browns under Banner and general manager Mike Lombardi have put together an intimidating front seven.

"On defense, we felt it was clear to identify what talent was out there, what talent we had, match it up with the philosophy we've been talking about and make some moves that will make the team better," said Banner, who also shopped fourth- and fifth-round picks for a third- and fourth-rounder in 2014.

The 2014 NFL Draft class widely is expected to be a talent-packed bunch, and the Browns -- a team under construction -- are very much looking toward the horizon.

Three takeaways

1. Banner said he couldn't pass up trading that fourth-rounder -- No. 111 -- for the Pittsburgh Steelers' third-rounder next April (the first swap between the teams since 1968). "I prefer to trade within the division. You don't make a trade that you don't think you're winning," Banner said, with a dose of moxie utterly foreign to Browns fans.

2. Cleveland won little praise for adding defensive end Armonty Bryant and offensive tackle Garrett Gilkey in Round 7. We'll find out down the line if this pair of NCAA Div. II prospects amount to much, but check the tape: Bryant's dislike for quarterbacks and Gilkey's obsession with mauling human life forms obviously caught the Browns' attention.

3. Besides serving as a vote of confidence for quarterback Brandon Weeden, this year's haul includes, in theory, supplemental pick Josh Gordon and slot receiver Davone Bess. Bess, acquired from the Miami Dolphins, has ranked second in the NFL in third-down receptions over the past five seasons and gives the Browns' young offense a reliable veteran presence.

NFL.com

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I really liked our 7th-rounders. I'm still a bit perplexed about the McFadden selection due to the makeup of our secondary personnel already on board, and don't see what's special about Slaughter to take him over a healthy similarly-productive player at his position, but I think we added some good talent late.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Only time will tell. I completely understand the plan this year to overhaul the defense with the transition to a new philosophy. With Kruger, Sheard, and Mingo, there should be no reason we can't get to the QB. Even in the 1st year under Horton, I really can imagine us better on that side of the ball. The only position that will be a wild card in the equation is the CB spot opposite of Joe Haden. I don't have a warm fuzzy with who we have lined up there.

CalDawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Quote:

what's special about Slaughter

Needed someone to pick off all those wobbly ducks and batted balls when our front seven is laying out the QB and choking their passing lanes.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
D
Legend
Legend
D
+ 1

I would add that free safety is also a decent concern. As you said though, we'll see...

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I love our front 7 on paper, it looks absolutely dominant. I just hope they perform up to their potential. If they do, it will be very fun to watch our defense this year.

Legend
Legend
I have been saying all along that I love our front 7. I think that, potentially, we might have one of the best front 7s in the NFL. We have a boatload of talent all over the place. I love it.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I have been saying all along that I love our front 7. I think that, potentially, we might have one of the best front 7s in the NFL. We have a boatload of talent all over the place. I love it.

Potential isn't worth anything except selling tickets. We have a boatload of potential talent all over the place trying to change positions, and we're hoping that at least half of them can pull it off. I'm absolutely tired and spent on looking at the "potential" of a Browns team and deluding myself off of that into thinking that this time, we're really NOT going to have a losing season. Call it battered fan syndrome, call it Lucy/Charlie Brown, call it bandwagoner... I honestly don't care.
I'll save my excitement for if it becomes a reality.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

Potential isn't worth anything except selling tickets.

So it's worth a lot?

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Potential isn't worth anything except selling tickets.

So it's worth a lot?

As Tony Siragusa would say, "That Depends". Is selling tickets your only goal?

Browns is the Browns

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Every fan will figure out for themselves what is their appropriate level of excitement or cynicism. At least at this point Kruger, Bryant and Groves have actually produced in this league. Speaking for myself only, some cautious optimism with occasional eruptions of actual excitement is tolerable.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Quote:

Potential isn't worth anything except selling tickets. We have a boatload of potential talent all over the place trying to change positions, and we're hoping that at least half of them can pull it off. I'm absolutely tired and spent on looking at the "potential" of a Browns team and deluding myself off of that into thinking that this time, we're really NOT going to have a losing season. Call it battered fan syndrome, call it Lucy/Charlie Brown, call it bandwagoner... I honestly don't care.

It's either watch the terrible games I recorded from last season or get excited about what could be this season. I choose to get cautiously excited about the unknown.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

At least at this point Kruger, Bryant and Groves have actually produced in this league.

But, not at the positions within a 3-4 that we are moving them to.... and that is what tempers any enthusiasm I might have.

Has anyone on the defense played in a 3-4 besides DQ & Rubin (wait, sorry, I guess Groves in Arizona)?

Browns is the Browns

C
Legend
Legend
C
Kruger in Baltimore. I think Bryant played some 3-4 in Oakland (correct me if I'm wrong).

If you move out from the front seven, both Haden and Ward played for Mangini so they played in the 3-4.

None of Sheard, Mingo, any of the inside linebackers, Taylor, Winn, or Hughes have played in a 3-4 in the NFL.

Legend
Legend
OK, potentially, but with experience to back it up.

We signed Kruger, who was a force in rushing the passer last year. We added Groves, who also played well as an OLB. We have Sheard switching to OLB, and that's always a question mark, but we also added Mingo in the draft. Chances are that at least one of them will work out as a pass rusher on the outside, especially with experienced LB coaches, and a DC who seems to understand how to use pass rushing talent. We have 4 guys for 2 positions, all of whom have solid pass rushing pedigrees.

On the DL, we have Bryant, Taylor, and Rubin. Bryant looks like a perfect 3-4 DE. Rubin has been successful in every defense he's played in, and seems to get better the longer he plays. (even with defensive changes) Taylor will be the question mark at NT .... but if he can't do it, Rubin has, and we also have Kitchen and Hughes who have experience at D, and who have that "immovable object" mentality that a NT needs. We also have Billy Winn, who should be a solid backup, and this Bryant kid, who . might be something. Overall though,the vast majority of 3-4 DE are former 4-3 DT. We have some solid ones to work with.

I actually like our depth at ILB as well. I think that Robertson will probably wind up starting alongside DQ. Fort and Carder will probably battle it out to back up Robertson, and JMJ will probably back up DQ. Very good players, and very good depth.

Yeah ..... I love this front 7, and I think that there are lots of reasons to love this front 7. They have a very nice mix of potential and experience.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Kruger in Baltimore. I think Bryant played some 3-4 in Oakland (correct me if I'm wrong).

If you move out from the front seven, both Haden and Ward played for Mangini so they played in the 3-4.

None of Sheard, Mingo, any of the inside linebackers, Taylor, Winn, or Hughes have played in a 3-4 in the NFL.

D'Quell has been with the Browns for eight seasons, He's played in a 3-4 alignment as well.

I really don't think Horton will be in a base 3-4 all that much. The lynchpin of his scheme is being multiple, right?

P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c

Not to try to burst anyone's bubble here, but we've seen things "look good on paper" before.

My hopes will be tempered until I actually see it on the field.

How many times have we been fooled with what "looks good on paper" before and by how many different people?

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
7 and 26 respectively.

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C
"Looks good on paper" is better than going into the season with the crap we have had recently. I'm talking to you Eric Barton, David Bowens, Mike Furrey at DB, Usama Young, and Jayme Mitchell.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Potential isn't worth anything

You can't do anything, without first having potential, right?

Dawginit since Jan. 24, 2000 Member #180
You can't fix yesterday but you can learn for tomorrow
#GMSTRONG

I want to do it as a Cleveland Brown because that's who I am.”
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Potential isn't worth anything

You can't do anything, without first having potential, right?

I was just about to say, it all starts with potential. without it, you have nothing.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

Surprised mac didn't post this article.

But hey, y'all didn't disappoint. A positive article w/some facts that was turned into another gripe session of how you guys don't like the new FO.

I don't care what any of you say, but I absolutely love the fact that Banner said he loves to trade in the division because he doesn't make trades he doesn't think he is winning. I absolutely love it! We've been kicked around for years. I love that this guy has the freaking--hmmmm---guts to say it!

Our front seven has more than potential. It is damn good.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
I dont know this draft is growing on me more and more. I liked our FA pick ups. Next season we will know if we need a new QB. We will have a better idea on our CB and FS positions. It's almost possible we might be able to start drafting BPA throughout the entire draft and that is when you start building a championship team.

So long as, we are not throwing 2 yards passes on 3 and 15 and our defense plays to win through out the entire game instead of playing not to lose I will enjoy the season much more. I have no aspirations to us making the playoffs this season but at least I for once don't feel it's the coaches that are holding us back.

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Lol Mike Furrey at DB was hilarious. My only gripe with the offseason was sitting on the money we had in a total buyer's market and not adding to the secondary. We're going into the season with Haden (awesome), 3rd round rook on the outside (meh), and a nickel/dime platoon of Owens/Skrine/Barnes/Bademosi/Wade (not inspiring confidence). The worst part of it to me is the fact that right now we have Hagg/Gipson at FS. Just even a half-ass effort at patching that up would be wanted.

Politicians are puppets, y'all. Let's get Geppetto!

Formerly 4yikes2yoshi0
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Im hoping that the front 7 getting pressure makes the secondary look quite a bit better as the QB will be hurrying often and forcing throws.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Im hoping that the front 7 getting pressure makes the secondary look quite a bit better as the QB will be hurrying often and forcing throws.

Agreed. Along with the false starts and holding calls that the increased pressure will bring.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Quote:

Agreed. Along with the false starts and holding calls that the increased pressure will bring.

Yeah, I honestly am a little excited to see our D line being feared.

M
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
M
Jc

I certainly hope this defense is as 'attack' as they say it will be!! I had high hopes for Rob Ryan's schemes but we all know how that went don't we?

I am encouraged by what they're saying and as always I'm looking forward to the season.

WE DON'T NEED A QB BEFORE WE GET A LINE THAT CAN PROTECT HIM
my two cents...
P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

I don't care what any of you say, but I absolutely love the fact that Banner said he loves to trade in the division because he doesn't make trades he doesn't think he is winning. I absolutely love it! We've been kicked around for years. I love that this guy has the freaking--hmmmm---guts to say it!

I don't really care what he says....... As long as he can back it up. Empty hot air has gotten us nowhere so far.

As long as he can back up his bark with his bite, fine. But the jury is far from out about that one.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Quote:

Quote:

My sentiments exactly. We had some people who were really talented in the old scheme that are going to try and produce in this new scheme. One of my favorites is so well thought of that they acquired their prized free agent to play his position. Once they slid him over to the other side they decided to spend our first round pick on that position.

I'm in prove it mode too.

Philosophically I love attacking, aggressive coaching that relies on one-gap schemes and great front 7 guys to do it. I prefer it in the 43 carton rather than the 34 but that's neither here nor there.

Prove it that we're going to be good 34 team. I'll be more than happy to hop on the bandwagon is we are.

[Linked Image]
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

I don't really care what he says....... As long as he can back it up. Empty hot air has gotten us nowhere so far.

I agree. To steal a great line from a country song, "A little less talk and a lot more action".

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

I agree. To steal a great line from a country song, "A little less talk and a lot more action".

Now that sounds like a real "hurtin" song...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Quote:

Jc

I certainly hope this defense is as 'attack' as they say it will be!! I had high hopes for Rob Ryan's schemes but we all know how that went don't we?

I am encouraged by what they're saying and as always I'm looking forward to the season.

I think the main difference in the hype with Rob Ryan and Horton is that Horton proved his schemes work in 2 different organizations in Pittsburgh and Arizona. Don't let their record fool you, the Cardinals had a nasty defense!

E
Legend
Legend
E
j/c

A lot of analyzing players regarding 3-4 n 4-3. I think you have to dig a little deeper into the X's n O's to get a more accurate read on this.

3-4 4-3 it doesn't really matter. From all I have read on our new Defense - its about the gap responsibilities. DQ has never played on a 3-4 team with these gap responsibilities...any positives or negatives he had in the past is hard to be noted as well DQ did this in the 3-4 of the past so he will do this now.

I'm sure its a lot more complicated but I'll simplify this for our discussion.
2 A gaps each side between C n OG.
2 B gaps each side between OG n OT.
2 C gaps outside the OTs.

6 gaps - 7 D front players. Our discipline in this Defense is to attack these 6 gaps from different tiers/directions and penetrate in doing so. There is no READ in our initial step n then react.

03-2012 we have been in a READ n REACT defense where we defended the LOS laterally with 2 gap discipline having to EAT Blockers in this discipline as in invite them on us n rely on the skill of the LBs to make the plays from the 2nd tier...if you think about it. That sort of brings the point of attack 2-3 yards downfield...when we stuff the play that is usually what the opponents got instead of Tackles for losses. Our LBs also in all 4 defenses we ran 03-12 had two gap responsibilities as well - read n react which usually had them on their heals unless there was a bulldog called. Usually late in the game out of desperation.

Now we are looking to attack all 6 gaps with an array of 7 players. And I suspect often including the SS (8th) into the mix - And this is on running downs. Passing downs we will have almost the same effect of the awesome Chicago 46 defense as in Attacking the gaps with ears pinned back from so many different directions. When I state direction I'm talking about different players to different gaps...not the Predictable 2 gap responsibility we would have in the Read n React stuff.

So the players we got...Kruger, Bryant, Groves, Mingo, Slaughter, Bryant as well as having an already talented aggressive DL here. Taylor, Rubin, Winn, Hughes, DQ, Sheard from our existing good motor players. Add the oft mentioned Little guys who can hit. I see nothing regarding this guy is good for the 3-4 n this guy is good for the 4-3. I see players who are good for attacking ONE GAP aggressively n with Explosion - and quite honestly EVERY DEFENSIVE PLAYER MADE FOR THIS GAME...Covets to play attack...balls of your feet n explode foward n penetrate.

So many actually have to temper their aggressiveness to play some cerebral read n react that from time to time they would actually get criticized or admonished for giving in to their insticts n abandon their 2 gap n penetrate the one gap - See Sean Rogers. If it is not by design there were definitely Consequences. Well now it will be by design as we penetrate one gap the Runner will not be able to take an abandoned route (gap) for 5+ yard cause we'll have a guy penetrating there. This is why year after year the Steelers n Ravens have been able to produce 3 n outs along with turnovers n mistakes.

Its a TAKE no Prisoners type of Defense. One young n old REAL DEFENSIVE minded players will not only Believe in but LOVE playing (absolute FUN! as in Giggle fun) - not only that but in a year or two...with a history into this D...we will get FA players wanting to join in the FUN!!!

If not already mark my words you will be hearing "I LOVE THIS D!!!" a lot from our players. We had this from Foge Fazio as he made Miller into a Pro-Bowl player. Throughout his career he was mired in Read n React Defenses - Fazio let him loose in an attack Defense - didn't matter 3-4 or 4-3. Butch put the kabosh on the attack as he was of the disciplined Read n React...Prevent and ended up firing Fazio.

Not only will our YOUNG players love this Defense...but us fans will get into this Defense...it will make it easy to scream n yell for them on Sundays to become part of the MAYHEM!!! Woof Woof Woof!!!

JMHO but this is going to be fun...and with time/continuity its just going to get BETTER!

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2013 NFL Season NFL Draft (2013) Browns Building Scary Front Seven

Link Copied to Clipboard