#789761 05/21/13 01:37 PM
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Quote:

The Browns will waive free safety Eric Hagg today, a league source confirmed for the Beacon Journal.

Adam Caplan of TheSidelineView.com first reported the news.

Hagg, a seventh-round draft pick in 2011, started the first two games of the 2012 season before he was demoted. He later started the final two games of the season after T.J. Ward, Tashaun Gipson and Usama Young suffered injuries.

This offseason, the Browns have inserted Gipson into the top slot on their depth chart at free safety. T.J. Ward is locked in as the starting strong safety.

The 6-foot-1, 205-pound Hagg started four of the 12 games in which he appeared last season and tallied 22 tackles and a pass defensed. As a rookie in 2011, he played 10 games and compiled 10 tackles, a pass defensed and a fumble recovery.

Link

Legend
Legend
I am not savvy enough to know if he played well or not, if he'll be missed or not. The fact that he got benched in favor of Usama Young speaks volumes, though. I'm pretty sure a hat rack with an umbrella on it was better than Usama Young.

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
Legend
Legend
Interesting.... I wonder what he did wrong?
It seems awfully premature to release a player based on performance... unless he is just REALLY terrible compared to the others.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Interesting.... I wonder what he did wrong?
It seems awfully premature to release a player based on performance... unless he is just REALLY terrible compared to the others.

Again, he was benched in favor of USAMA YOUNG.

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Hey, we got 2 years out of a 7th round draft pick, who will be claimed by somebody...Not bad...most 7th rounders are cut after mini-Camp...I actulaly liked the kid but when your a 7th rounder, sometimes it's all about numbers....

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Hey, we got 2 years out of a 7th round draft pick, who will be claimed by somebody...Not bad...most 7th rounders are cut after mini-Camp...I actulaly liked the kid but when your a 7th rounder, sometimes it's all about numbers....

+1

Legend
Legend
He lacks the athleticism that Bademosi and Gipson have, not to mention he was very poor with his first read/jump to the ball. Combine those two things and it doesn't bode well for someone trying to make it as a safety.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
They are probably cutting him now so he has a chance to catch on with another team before camp.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Quote:

They are probably cutting him now so he has a chance to catch on with another team before camp.

Cleveland Browns to release safety Eric Hagg; have signed rookie tryout LB Tommy Smith

CLEVELAND, Ohio - The Browns will release backup safety Eric Hagg today, a league source confirmed.

Adam Caplan of Sirius XM radio first reported the news.

Hagg, the Browns' seventh-round pick in 2011 out of Nebraska, started the first two games of 2012 at free safety before being benched. He was inactive the next two games and played sparingly until the end of the year when he started two more games because of injuries, one at free safety and one at strong safety.

Hagg finished the season with 22 tackles and one pass broken up. Second-year safety Tashaun Gipson is the frontrunner at free safety, and the Browns drafted Jamoris Slaughter out of Notre Dame in the sixth round.

SMITH SIGNED

The Browns have signed former Boise State linebacker Tommy Smith as a rookie free agent, according to his representatives at KLASS Sports.

Smith participated in Browns rookie camp on a tryout basis. He'll compete at inside linebacker, but he also has the ability to play fullback.

Smith made 61 tackles in 13 games for Boise State last season.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2013/05/cleveland_browns_to_release_sa.html

had to make room.

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
Legend
Legend
Ok, there's the reason... bottom of the roster and making room for another signing.

Cya Hagg. G'luck to you.

Browns is the Browns

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Just the new guys cleaning out some players the old guys brought in.... happens every time there's a change in direction. We are growing ever thinner at safety.....But since pass rush is the only goal, the secondary doesn't matter much....

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
W
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
W
I like the idea of this kid being able to play fullback, too. I know they had some fluff about Marecic earlier in the week, but I am definitely not sold on him. Is Smelley still around?

#gmstrong.
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
He has AWFUL feet!

Smelly too.

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Every time you guys talk about feet, I have horrible flashbacks to that announcer gushing over Jamal Lewis.

Browns is the Browns

Legend
Legend
Was it Paul McGuire? I can remember the guy's ranting and raving over them, just can't put the name to his voice.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
I think that it's obvious that the front office and coaches like Gipson and Bademosi a lot more than they liked Hagg. (and I would agree with that assessment) Hagg seemed like a hard working kid, but he just didn't have the ability to be more than a special teams guy.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Quote:

He has AWFUL feet!

Smelly too.

Smelly has bad feet?

M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Just the new guys cleaning out some players the old guys brought in.... happens every time there's a change in direction. We are growing ever thinner at safety.....But since pass rush is the only goal, the secondary doesn't matter much....

This may be true to some extent, but Hagg wasn't much. A seventh rounder to was able to make the team is surprising enough. No loss that he is gone.

Looking at the glass half full I think this shows the expectations the Browns have for Gipson/ Bademosi. Not sure which one got more time there or who their targeting but I think Hagg was out of the picture from the beginning and only saw playing time last year because of injuries/underperformance of Usama Young.

Tackles are tackles.
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Quote:

Quote:

This may be true to some extent, but Hagg wasn't much. A seventh rounder to was able to make the team is surprising enough. No loss that he is gone.

not surprising at all. not with nutcase heckert with control.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Banner is GONE???

M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Your "nutcase" thing is rather stupid and I hate being the first one here to acknowledge any post of yours when you use that term. It's too bad you won't recognize we had a GM that built a solid foundation of talent coupled with great cap availability. The best foundation this team has seen since '99. Like any GM, they certainly aren't flawless but you simply have an uneducated hate for no reason other than to argue with people that like what he did. You post this "nutcase" thing simply for shock value and nothing more.....Fail. You remind me of someone...

Tackles are tackles.
D
Legend
Legend
D
No problems here. Looks like Bademosi showed up better at free safety than Hagg thus far in OTA's...

Hagg was a horrible safety. Switching between him and Usama yielded minimal difference, they both sucked at the position.

See ya Hagg, sorry to say I won't miss ya...

M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

No problems here. Looks like Bademosi showed up better at free safety than Hagg thus far in OTA's...

Hagg was a horrible safety. Switching between him and Usama yielded minimal difference, they both sucked at the position.

See ya Hagg, sorry to say I won't miss ya...

One doesn't normally miss 7th rounders.....

Tackles are tackles.
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Post deleted by Referee2

M
Legend
Legend
M
Post deleted by Referee2

Last edited by MemphisBrownie; 05/21/13 05:11 PM.

Tackles are tackles.
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
ok. was wonder about the SS thing.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Who are they going to get to replace him? Charles Woodson?

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Your "nutcase" thing is rather stupid and I hate being the first one here to acknowledge any post of yours when you use that term. It's too bad you won't recognize we had a GM that built a solid foundation of talent coupled with great cap availability. The best foundation this team has seen since '99. Like any GM, they certainly aren't flawless but you simply have an uneducated hate for no reason other than to argue with people that like what he did. You post this "nutcase" thing simply for shock value and nothing more.....Fail. You remind me of someone...

+1

Let this sink in..... On 12-31-23 it be will 123123.
On the flip side, you can tune a piano but you can't tune-a-fish.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Ok, there's the reason... bottom of the roster and making room for another signing.

Cya Hagg. G'luck to you.

I agree. I think the team sees it's players at safety and Hagg wasn't going to fit. A few OTA's combined with game tape told them that. So you might as well bring in a player who might make the team, be it a long shot. A long shot is better to have over a no shot. JMO

Plus, the guy is said to be able to play fullback. That should excite some people.

As far as Hagg goes, if you are going to get released, this is a good time. It gives him and his agent time to try to find a new landing spot early enough to have a legit shot.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

+1

no just a control freak telling the coaching staff who to play. just like the nutcase trying to jam hagg into a starter in the first 2 games. just like he try to make marcy int a fullback for a year and a half.

if he would have just stuck with the draft he would probley still be here. the nutcase.

P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
None of what you've said even remotely indicates anything that would warrant the term 'nutcase'.

You think he's a 'nutcase' because he wanted or had roster control?

And what leads you to believe that Shurmur would have done any better in that regard, anyway?

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Greco was a guy shumer wanted. I saw him play better guard than either lava or pink.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

+1

no just a control freak telling the coaching staff who to play. just like the nutcase trying to jam hagg into a starter in the first 2 games. just like he try to make marcy int a fullback for a year and a half.

if he would have just stuck with the draft he would probley still be here. the nutcase.

I'd like for you to go and investigate how many GMs have control of the roster... and in recent years, how many GMs (or related positions) won't take a job unless they have that control. I'll save you the trouble, it's the majority. Is there consultation with coaches, other personnel people, etc? Of course. And there was with Shurmur (good or bad), so please don't come at this debate like Heckert sat on a throne and disregarded the opinion of others. That's laughable. If anything, you have a better argument of saying that about Holmgren. And to say he told the coaching staff who to start on Sundays is even more laughable....and unsubstantiated I might add. You are grabbing at straws. If you want to attempt to bash Heckert as the worst GM ever, go ahead and start a thread about it.

Hagg is gone. Next....

Tackles are tackles.
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Greco was a guy shumer wanted. I saw him play better guard than either lava or pink.

Wait, Greco was a Shurmur guy?

I thought Heckert was a control freak that told the coaching staff who to play? How did Shurmur convince the nutcase control freak both to execute a trade for and then play his guy?

I mean, how could one reason with or convince a nutcase control freak like that?

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Quote:

Quote:

Wait, Greco was a Shurmur guy?

I thought Heckert was a control freak that told the coaching staff who to play? How did Shurmur convince the nutcase control freak both to execute a trade for and then play his guy?

I mean, how could one reason with or convince a nutcase control freak like that?

one of the few tokens to the coaching staff. notice heckert would not let him start unless injury even though he is better?

Legend
Legend
I might say that Greco is one of the only positive things Shurmur did for this franchise. I can't think of too many more positives.

P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P

M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

I might say that Greco is one of the only positive things Shurmur did for this franchise. I can't think of too many more positives.

But that's not what pblack is saying. He says Heckert has final say on everything, including a guard only Shurmur worked with. It's not a Heckert guy...wait, what?

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
was never impressed with him.. his demeanor always reminded me of Brodney Pool.. played the game with no emotion.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Legend
Legend
I just thought his athleticism wasn't anywhere near Gipson or Bademosi. He never seemed to "flash" or do anything noteworthy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Eric Hagg to be released

Link Copied to Clipboard