Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
S
Legend
Legend
S
Orlando ran their entire offense through Howard that series. Numbers definitely don't tell it all.

Legend
Legend
I want to put in perspective how great Indianas players are on defense with #s

Quote:

Defensive Rating

1. Tim Duncan-SAS 95.0
2. Roy Hibbert-IND 96.9
3. Paul George-IND 97.1

4. Tony Allen-MEM 98.4
5. Marc Gasol-MEM 98.5
6. Larry Sanders-MIL 98.5
7. Joakim Noah-CHI 98.6
8. David West-IND 98.6

http://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_2013_leaders.html

Lance Stephenson can defend too. I couldn't find him listed though. I know people are not a fan of #s, but you don't really see a "shocking name" so the validity must be pretty decent. This is why Miami is having so much trouble.

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Quote:

Teams are gonna regret passing on this kid.

He's going to go top 3 most likely. So really you think he's going to be the best prospect in this draft? I don't. I'm thinking Joe Smith type player.

"The medium for the bad news was ESPN, which figured. The network represents much of what is loud, obnoxious and empty in sports today."
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

The Miami Heat are getting pushed around by a team that the Lebron Cavs would have put down. Truth.

Hibbert would have eaten the LeBron Cavs alive.

Who was going to contain him ... Z? Andy?

I don't think he would have been the difference. He's been good, but he's not doing what Howard did to us in 2009.

Dwight Howard vs. Cavaliers, 2009 ECF:

25.8 PPG, 13 RPG, 1.1 BPG, 38.5 MPG

Roy Hibbert vs. Heat, 2013 ECF:

22.8 PPG, 10.8 RPG, 1.1 BPG, 33.1 MPG

Do you happen to have their assist totals? It seemed like Dwight either dunked it or kicked the ball out to a 3 point shooter. The problem defending Dwight was that he was too strong for Andy and too quick for Z.

Fair point.

Howard, 2009: 2.8 APG

Hibbert, 2013: 0.8 APG

That said, I still think this Pacers would've been a really bad matchup for the LeBron Cavs.

Moving off that ... man, I love watching LeBron James play. I still root for him to lose, but the anger isn't there anymore. He's just so much fun to watch, whether he's dominating or wilting.

The issue in the Magic series was their HISTORIC 3 pt shooting %. As a team, they shot over 50% from the beyond the arc and have the league's best record ever for 3pt % for a series. Dwight didn't beat us, the 3 pt did. Then the magic go the Finals and crap down their league and SHOCKER don't continue the 3%.

"The medium for the bad news was ESPN, which figured. The network represents much of what is loud, obnoxious and empty in sports today."
S
Legend
Legend
S
Rashard Lewis and Mickael Pietrus had career series'. Doubling Howard resulting in them hitting what seemed like every outside shot they took.

N
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
N
Quote:

Rashard Lewis and Mickael Pietrus had career series'. Doubling Howard resulting in them hitting what seemed like every outside shot they took.

and then the day after the series ended, the NBA releases the news on Rashard's PED test failure and he tanks the Laker series. Let's not forget that gem.

and, despite everything said above, we still had alot of chances to win. Delonte had a ball just go out of his reach that would have clinched one game. Ben got caught flat-footed and didn't cover Rashard in the corner in another game (and he rarely got caught like that even at that point), etc.

#gmstrong
S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

Quote:

and then the day after the series ended, the NBA releases the news on Rashard's PED test failure and he tanks the Laker series. Let's not forget that gem.

and, despite everything said above, we still had alot of chances to win. Delonte had a ball just go out of his reach that would have clinched one game. Ben got caught flat-footed and didn't cover Rashard in the corner in another game (and he rarely got caught like that even at that point), etc.

and for the the love of god don't forget that giant lead they blew in game 1.

I'll never forget that night, I had a hockey game and DVR'd the Cavs, after the game one of the guys was tellin me "how bout your cavs??" apparently he had left for the arena when the Cavs were up big. Not only did he ruin the game for me, but he had led me to believe they had won. So I go home and watch on DVR, and fast forwarding through everything, it was painful to see the lead dwindle to nothing, and then eventually they lose. Uck.

I always say the Lebron era ended with that Mo Williams half court 3 just before halftime of that first Orlando game. They were at an all time high. That was the top of the mountain for that era. They lost the swagger soon after that, and eventually the pressure for LBJ to stick around became bigger than the Cavs trying to win, especially the next year.

Legend
Legend
j/c...

This Roy Hibbert thing is way overblown IMO. What he said was not "a gay slur," at least not in the context of how it was said. It's basically equivalent to "That's what she said." It's supposed to be a clever, crass joke/wordplay, and is not disparaging of homosexuals. Can't expect the commisioner to know that, or the media to accept it, though.

Legend
Legend
Bill Simmons says Mo's half court 3 woke god up and he quickly realized Cleveland was having fun and put a quick end to it.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Just another example in a long line that showcases what jerk Bill Simmons is.

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Quote:

Completely forgot about that BS. SMH

S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

I don't think that was Bill Simmons bagging Cleveland. He has come around on realizing how bad it's been and has taken our side on things. Six or Seven years ago, he said on numerous occasions that he thought Philly was a more snake bitten sports town.

I know a lot of people aren't huge fans of his, but I have never found him as a guy who will pounce on a town like a lot of his coworkers and peers do and would.

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
I think $75,000 is a bit steep, but it's still low-brow, frat house dialogue you'd rather not have associated with your product on live TV.

Politicians are puppets, y'all. Let's get Geppetto!

Formerly 4yikes2yoshi0
S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

I think $75,000 is a bit steep, but it's still low-brow, frat house dialogue you'd rather not have associated with your product on live TV.

Right or wrong the NBA has to come down hard on it because of their campaign and stance on gay rights and the use of slurs.

75k versus Kobe going F-bomb with his slur (100k) probably is not enough of a difference between the two though.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A

Legend
Legend
This is why I almost never watch post-game interviews... not that I need collegiate humor (even though I tend to enjoy it)... nobody ever says anything that I couldn't have answered myself for fear of being fined or blogged to death...

We played hard..
They are a great team..
We are glad to get the win..
We came up short but we'll get 'em next time..
Yea, he's a great player, I knew I was going to have my hands full..

whatever.

You can't question the officials, you can't question anybody on your team, you can't question anybody on their team, you can't make a joke that hasn't been vetted by the league... It is rare that anything comes out in a post-game presser than most people didn't already know and they just aren't all that entertaining.

yebat' Putin
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
The only good thing are the wardrobes.

P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Quote:

Right or wrong the NBA has to come down hard on it because of their campaign and stance on gay rights and the use of slurs.

75k versus Kobe going F-bomb with his slur (100k) probably is not enough of a difference between the two though.

Consider it $50k for the 'no homo'.

He was going to get dinged $25k for calling the media 'MF'ers' even if he didn't make the other comment.

And it's not only about taking a stance or being part of a campaign ... if you don't punish for it, or make it clear that it's unacceptable, then that's a lawsuit waiting to happen.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

I don't think that was Bill Simmons bagging Cleveland. He has come around on realizing how bad it's been and has taken our side on things. Six or Seven years ago, he said on numerous occasions that he thought Philly was a more snake bitten sports town.

I know a lot of people aren't huge fans of his, but I have never found him as a guy who will pounce on a town like a lot of his coworkers and peers do and would.

Yeah, I agree. I think that he was just stating that we always seem to have that inevitable doom awaiting us, no matter how well things are going in a World Series ...... AFC Championship Game ...... or NBA Finals ........ That's no surprise to any of us.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yeah, I agree. I think that he was just stating that we always seem to have that inevitable doom awaiting us, no matter how well things are going in a World Series ...... AFC Championship Game ...... or NBA Finals ........ That's no surprise to any of us.

He's been pretty kind to us in recent years ... he was one of the more sympathetic national commentators when it came to The Decision.

And let's face it ... if there is a God ... he doesn't like Cleveland.

S
Legend
Legend
S
Bill Simmons' mailbag the day after the decision was one of the best fan-entry articles I have ever read.

Legend
Legend
SHUT EM DOWN INDIANA

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
While it's an encouraging start for the Pacers (esp. seeing Hill and Stephenson hit trays to start the game off), they're still just so frustrating as far as their handling of the basketball is concerned. The turnovers have been just a bit ridiculous.

With that in mind, I was wondering something. To be even more officially "over-the-top", would Indiana benefit more from a scoring two guard or point guard? Like a guy who can get separation and get a good look on his own at shooting guard, or a facilitating PG? I kind of go back and forth on either one internally.

Side-note: flash over substance example: TWO hands on the basketball. Lebron easily finishes- at worst as a layup- by getting both hands on the oop attempt from Wade. You see the same concept at work with one-handed, semi-telegraphed passes, too.

Last edited by 4yikes2yoshi0; 06/03/13 08:47 PM.

Formerly 4yikes2yoshi0
Legend
Legend
They need a Chris Paul. A complete player at PG that can make everyone better. Too bad I think CP3 just wants money now and will be a ring chaser when he gets older.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Did the in-arena announcer just call him Birdman? I get Birdman is his nickname but I don't get it.

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
He's also just overly douchey. I can't stand the guy.

Indiana's bench looks sad, dude.

Formerly 4yikes2yoshi0
Legend
Legend
F this

It's game 7, you ride Hibbert and PG to the finish line.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Quote:

Did the in-arena announcer just call him Birdman? I get Birdman is his nickname but I don't get it.

It's because of his hops.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Miami's experience is just taking this one over. 14 turnovers with four minutes left in the half. This one might be over early.

It's cool that Indiana is unselfish with the ball, but sometimes you can't make that extra pass against a defense like this and you have to just look to score.

Ray Allen is hot...could all but seal the deal.

Legend
Legend
This game is over already. Miami is GETTING AFTER IT defensively and getting their butts into transition, which is just what I expected. They are really asserting their athletic advantage, not to mention the Pacers' inexperience. Miami won't win this by less than 12-15. Let's just hope the Spurs have a chance.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Floyd Mayweather might end up being a really happy camper after this one.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Say goodnight, Indiana.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
I don't think Floyd cares too much about losing 5.9 mil.

Legend
Legend
San Antonio's passing will carve Miami up when they trap, but I am scared to watch them defend.

Legend
Legend
Miami won't trap against the Spurs, at least I don't think they will. Miami isn't a trapping/doubling team, but it was their best way to equalize Indy's strength in the paint. Miami's biggest concern will be guarding Tony Parker. They can't defend a scoring PG.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
I can't believe how many offensive rebounds Indiana has given up.

Legend
Legend
Pacers are done. They need to get CP3.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
This is starting to get embarrassing to watch.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

This is starting to get embarrassing to watch.

This is why you need a bench. You don't need to be ridiculously deep team, but you need 3 guys that can give your starters a break.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Absolutely

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Cavs, NBA Playoffs, and the Draft

Link Copied to Clipboard