Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Oh and by the way...his triceps should be sore! He's been doing it wrong now he's gotta pay the price!

And remember this is the guy who's favorite exercise is skull crushers so my triceps are not the weak point in my bench.

And that reminds me to Gone...start doing skull crushers if you're not already doing them. It'll help your bench tremendously...especially driving through the sticking point just off your chest.

[Linked Image]
M
Legend
Legend
M
JC.

Just my opinion.....

1. I work out but I don't go 6 days a week. I give my body more than one day to recover. And if you are coupling cardio with weight training, one day of rest isn't enough in my opinion. Some people do recommend taking a week off after about a couple months of regimented training. It makes sense and gives your body a vacation so to speak.

2. Everybody plateaus. I think the timing varies. Usually it can happen after someone loses a bunch of weight at first, expects the trends to continue, and then it stops--> whether with strength gain or weight loss. But keep on it.

3. Not sure exactly your workout regimen, but try switching up the workouts you do- both in exercise type, amount of sets/repetitions, and weight. Muscle memory can lead to plateauing. Switch it up. Shock your muscles with something it's never had before. Let your muscles/body get sore again. For example if you are doing bicep curls- 3 sets/10 reps @ 45lbs, try 6 set/20 reps @ 30lbs. I think sometimes if someone increases strength a bunch, they don't want to be seen downgrading to another weight at the gym with people watching. But in the end, its a smart thing to do. I'm not sure if you do this type of weight training, but I'm sure you get the gist.

In terms of food:

1. Make sure you eat b-fast. Get the metabolism going early. One of the most underrated meals of the day. Make it a good one.

2. Eat more, smaller meals. (It's very cliche...but stick to it.) Personally, I don't concern myself all that much w/ caloric intake. More or less focus on limited carbs, bad fat; increase protein after working out. My rule of thumb, when my stomach is growling, there is nothing wrong with putting something little in it...your system will remain active and that's important.

3. This one is kinda funny-- someone once told me if you eat really well, try eating a large pizza once a month to shock the body. Then go back to normal eating habits. I never have subscribed to this but it kinda goes in line with the muscle memory thing. Apparently "The Rock" does this. He's rather in shape.

4. Alcohol is the biggest deterrent to achieving the results people want. It's a part of life for a lot of people but can slow down results no matter how much someone works out.

But you mentioned your 47, and as you get older, hormone production is not as prevalent as it once was. They played a part as they broke down fat, helped create muscle and participated in your recovery after working out. Some people to take supplements to increase that production if so compelled. I am not as against stuff like that as others may be, but you need to be careful to what is out there. Most of it is BS.

I'm nearly 32 and I've noticed my regular approach in my lifestyle and workout regimen needs to be altered some. I'm not in my 20s anymore, unfortunately.

Last edited by MemphisBrownie; 07/25/13 03:34 PM.

Tackles are tackles.
L
Legend
Legend
L
Quote:

I'd say 30 degrees would be ideal but a lot of people I see are near 90. 45 degrees is certainly ok but I like the elbows in a little more. And I agree that hand position is a matter of preference as well within a defined range. Most people have them beyond that range. I'd say I have them in the range but closer to the inside of the range.

One thing I don't agree with is driving through your legs. As far as I know he's just trying to stronger, not do any competitive lifting. So I'd recommend he just use his legs as an anchor to stabilize himself on the bench. While he could lift more by driving through his legs it's not great for the back and body and he should be concentrating on just getting his chest stronger.

I know if I saw a guy driving through his legs on anything less than 225 I'd kind of chuckle. And 225 is being generous...probably 315 I guess would be ok.

He's not there yet so lets have him concentrating on proper form and getting that chest strong.

You make an important point at the end. The bar once unracked should be right above your collar bone. And when you lower it it should hit your nipples (I said nipples). So yes not straight up and down and that's an important point.

Last tip....squeeze the bar. Hard. Picture yourself crushing it in your hands. Squeeze hard.

If you don't drive with your legs you aren't benching safely or correctly, regardless of how much weight. Being a compound lift your whole body should be involved for stability. Using your legs correctly when you bench will allow you to create more tension from your feet to your shoulders, which is essential for more stability and strength. This will allow you to push bigger weights and smash through any training plateaus.

To create more full body tension, plant your feet firmly on the ground and actively drive them downward during the lift. The tighter you get in the lower body, the more control you’ll have over the weight. Once you have the lower body all set, you’ll have to carry this tightness from your legs, across your core and into your upper body. Coordinating all of these muscle groups will teach you how to use your body as a single unit.

This isn't something thats a personal preference, but its a staple of body building technique that even The Oak himself has mentioned in his own book. And i look at it this way, if he gets used to doing it at lighter weights, then it will be more natural as he progresses. Thats jmo. 30 degrees i guess would be fine, even though i think it pulls too much tri in, but from a safety standpoint narrow is better than wider. I don't flat bench a ton anymore just because i find more variations with DB, and probably because i'm upset i can't get past 330..lol, so i can grab 125lb DB and people think I'm a stud..lol. But for me DB is more about control and variation. I will say its fun that we have quite a few lifters on the board.. It's nice to see what everyone else does.

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Wow from the looks of that video, I made myself look like a fool, lol. I literally had my elbows to my side. Well, I'm gone try really light tomorrow and see what come of it.

[Linked Image from i442.photobucket.com]
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
There are a lot of methods that are ultimately ok. My friend swears by getting his feet completely off the floor, legs bent but hips, thighs perpendicular to his body. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.

I'm just saying for a guy lifting one plate I don't think he should be driving up through his hips on the lift. He should be properly anchored. Rigidly anchored but I don't want to see him driving through the hips, lifting his back off the bench and lifting like an idiot.

Gone...I don't want to overcorrect you. I saw the video and that guy is within the acceptable range with his elbows although I'd say he's approaching the outer edge in the corrected part. I bring my elbows in more than that. But I keep them at about 30 degrees and about three inches off my chest on both sides.

I wish I was there in the gym with you it'd be a whole lot easier than writing it all out like this lol.

Even if you had them tucked completely into your chest you didn't make yourself look like an idiot. You probably just hit areas more like a close grip bench press hitting your triceps harder and the interior pecs harder.

[Linked Image]
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
I did 5-6 sets of 10 with 65 pounds. I adjusted my grip and now it feels comfortable. Yall mentioned about you shouldn't go straight up and down which I been doing so I changed it and definitely feel the difference.

[Linked Image from i442.photobucket.com]
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
That's great!

Bench press is one of the most fun exercises because it's possible to move up in weight pretty fast with correct technique.

By the way the best way to check yourself on an exercise is to go down to 70% of your normal and do a 100 reps in immediate succession. Keep doing reps in sets of the same exercise until you've done a 100 reps. And then the next day and especially the day after that where are you sore? That was one of Arnold's favorite techniques.

Lastly...I subscribed to Muscle & Fitness for 10 years or so and learned much of what I know from that magazine. Might be worth considering a subscription.

And my favorite book...the bible on lifting in my mind...The New Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding by Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Amazon Link

It is my go to source for all my weight lifting needs.

Good luck on your journey!

[Linked Image]
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Here's my chest workout if you're interested.

Bench Press
15x135...followed by a shoulder and pec stretch.
10x185
10x205
7or8x225

Incline Bench
3x10x155

Decline Bench
3x10x185

Pec Dec
3x10x185

Low Cable Chest Flys
3x15x40 - really strict concentration on pec with light weight

Plate Presses
3x12x10lb plate - with palms open to each other press a 10lb plate as hard as you can and extend it from your pecs until your arms are straight in front of you. This is compounded with 20 pushups immediately after each set. You get a real good feeling of proprioception with this exercise.

Bench Press - 21s (see above post of mine in this thread on 21s)
3x21(7x7x7)x135 - The finisher. You should be looking like an idiot who couldn't lift 100lbs let alone 135 at the very end of the 3rd set.

And there it is. That's my favorite chest routine.

[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Workout Advice Needed

Link Copied to Clipboard