Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#808017 08/21/13 01:30 PM
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 42,413
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 42,413
Quote:

Chudzinski also gave Chris Ogbonnaya the nod as the team’s No. 1 fullback.

With Dion Lewis (fractured fibula) expected to be out for the season and Montario Hardesty (arthroscopic knee surgery) set to miss the beginning of the regular season, Ogbonnaya will also play some tailback to spell starter Trent Richardson.

“From a fullback standpoint, a tailback standpoint, we put Chris on the depth chart as a first teamer,” Chudzinski said. “I think he’s a role player that is a first teamer in many situations.”




Link

I would expect Marecic to be cut. Teams don't usually carry two fullbacks.

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 5,407
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 5,407
Quote:


I would expect Marecic to be cut. Teams don't usually carry two fullbacks.




Guess he doesnt have to worry he is no fullback


Joe Thomas #73
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 13,882
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 13,882
Good for him. Hope to see him in the Pro Bowl (well, not that I'd watch the Pro Bowl ever).


[Linked Image]


“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 51,050
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 51,050
Quote:

Quote:

Chudzinski also gave Chris Ogbonnaya the nod as the team’s No. 1 fullback.

With Dion Lewis (fractured fibula) expected to be out for the season and Montario Hardesty (arthroscopic knee surgery) set to miss the beginning of the regular season, Ogbonnaya will also play some tailback to spell starter Trent Richardson.

“From a fullback standpoint, a tailback standpoint, we put Chris on the depth chart as a first teamer,” Chudzinski said. “I think he’s a role player that is a first teamer in many situations.”




Link

I would expect Marecic to be cut. Teams don't usually carry two fullbacks.




Especially when the 2nd FB can't do anything very well.

Man I hated the Marecic pick from the second his name was announced, and it hasn't improved one bit since as far as I'm concerned. People kept telling me how wonderful he was, and how he could do everything .... run, catch, and block ..... and even play some LB if we needed ..... .

I would almost be content to see him run, catch, OR block at this point. He's really done nothing well in Cleveland.


Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 12,635
D
Legend
Offline
Legend
D
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 12,635
Exactly the same feelings.thoughts. Everything that people told me about him was false and opposite from what I saw on the field.

Oby blocked pretty good when I saw him in there at FB. It's an added dimension given he can run, catch, pass protect and run block. Good for Oby to find such an important and versatile role in this offense.

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 15,186
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 15,186
Quote:

Quote:


I would expect Marecic to be cut. Teams don't usually carry two fullbacks.




Guess he doesnt have to worry he is no fullback




Daaaang.... harsh much?


But.....


"too many notes, not enough music-"

#GMStong
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,643
A
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
A
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,643
Quote:



I would expect Marecic to be cut.




Ive been saying that for like a year!

Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 13,358
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 13,358
Quote:

Man I hated the Marecic pick from the second his name was announced, and it hasn't improved one bit since as far as I'm concerned. People kept telling me how wonderful he was, and how he could do everything .... run, catch, and block ..... and even play some LB if we needed ..... .




Who?

He has been the most-reviled Brown since... I can't remember when. A lot of people didn't like Braylon, but at least some people did. I can't remember much support for Marecic, pretty much ever.

Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 5,521
A
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
A
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 5,521
When Marecic was drafted, people gushed over how he was smart and how being a two-way player at Stanford meant that he was tough.

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 51,050
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 51,050
The day if the draft I lambasted the pick, and people kept telling me that he was a good pick, and that I would learn to love the kid because if the way he plays the game. There were numerous people telling me that he was a great pick, even as a FB taken in the 4th. (which I hated to start with)


Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 17,475
E
Legend
Offline
Legend
E
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 17,475
Ogb...has played excellent FB...we might have to keep Marecic until Hardesty comes back. A lot depends on the kid Maysonnet. If he is able to fill Lewis shoes. We might pick up an RB who will get cut...all if done Marecic would go.

But a lot of his fate would be if he becomes a ST extraordinaire...as of yet that has not happened.

Yeah I had high expectations as we did draft a position normally reserved for 6th, 7th or UDFA...I was thinking MAN O MAN this kid will be great. What a let down. Heck even Shurmur benched him early year two.

JMHO


Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 13,358
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 13,358
yeah I just don't remember that. Wish I could look it up [prp]

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 28,446
Legend
Online
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 28,446
Quote:

The day if the draft I lambasted the pick, and people kept telling me that he was a good pick, and that I would learn to love the kid because if the way he plays the game. There were numerous people telling me that he was a great pick, even as a FB taken in the 4th. (which I hated to start with)




I was peeved big time because we got rid of Vickers for this kid. People can be all "well, where's Vickers now?" all they want.... he was still 10 times the player that Marecic ever was. The entire exercise was a complete waste.


Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,465
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Offline
Legend
P
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,465
Quote:

Quote:

Man I hated the Marecic pick from the second his name was announced, and it hasn't improved one bit since as far as I'm concerned. People kept telling me how wonderful he was, and how he could do everything .... run, catch, and block ..... and even play some LB if we needed ..... .




Who?

He has been the most-reviled Brown since... I can't remember when. A lot of people didn't like Braylon, but at least some people did. I can't remember much support for Marecic, pretty much ever.




A lot of us tend to sell ourselves on things in order to stay sane.

There was a huge outcry when we hadn't signed Vickers, and drafting Marecic was the final bell there, so many were angry. But the optimists kept pointing out our shift to the WCO, citing Marecic's ability to catch the ball out of the backfield.

That never materialized, and only the true diehard homers were in his corner (even then pretty half-heartedly).

Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,187
Dawg Talker
Offline
Dawg Talker
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,187
Good for Ogbonnaya, he definitely earned it. He's one of those guys who seems like he'd do anything for the team. I like him and am glad to see him earn his recognition as a starter. It's well deserved.

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 28,446
Legend
Online
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 28,446
Quote:

Good for Ogbonnaya, he definitely earned it. He's one of those guys who seems like he'd do anything for the team. I like him and am glad to see him earn his recognition as a starter. It's well deserved.




Above all, I'm completely loving the versatility in having Obi and Trent in there together all the time. If done right, and I think Norv is the guy to do that, this is going to make defensive coordinators sick to their stomachs because this is potentially a disgusting 1-2 Combo that can give you a different look on every play.


Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 75,483
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 75,483
versatility is the word that comes to my mind as well. defenses will need to account for him because of his athleticism out of the backfield. If he can block effectively this could be a great move.


"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Boston is far to the left as KC settles into the slot. Fannin is flanked out wide to the right. Judkins and Sampson are split in the backfield as the ball is hiked ... Here we go."
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 10,581
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 10,581
Quote:

Man I hated the Marecic pick from the second his name was announced, and it hasn't improved one bit since as far as I'm concerned. People kept telling me how wonderful he was, and how he could do everything .... run, catch, and block ..... and even play some LB if we needed ..... .






j/c


there is no way that everyone all of a sudden hated OM back then. I got into heated discussions with people because they said he was going to be a beast. blah blah blah Everyone was talking about how he was going to be a pro bowler etc. He could even play st and backup LB.

I call bull on people having selective memory.


Meh.
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 75,483
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 75,483
The only thing I remember was Jim Harbaugh raving about him right after the draft. He was saying he'd be the steal for us and everyone would instantly fall in love with him. Not so much.


"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Boston is far to the left as KC settles into the slot. Fannin is flanked out wide to the right. Judkins and Sampson are split in the backfield as the ball is hiked ... Here we go."
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 13,358
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 13,358
would be nice if we could search the draft forum instead of relying on people's memory. [prp]

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 10,581
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 10,581
Quote:

would be nice if we could search the draft forum instead of relying on people's memory. [prp]




I'd be game.


Meh.
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 40,689
B
Legend
Offline
Legend
B
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 40,689
Quote:

There were numerous people telling me that he was a great pick, even as a FB taken in the 4th






How much do you want to bet I wasn't one of them?



Fullback is pretty much a useless position in my book...at least the way they seem to be played since the days Jim Brown was a Fullback.


Obie isn't a fullback. He is a 2nd running back. Was Byner the FB or was Mack....either way, I approve of that as well.


I have no problem lining up a back who is primairly a lead blocker, but they need to run and catch when asked. Screw a stone handed Vickers back there. If the guy can't do anything but block, he leads defenders to the ball.

If you are going to do that, put a real blocker back there and groom some guard to be the lead blocker...or...Phil Taylor would make a pretty decent fullback on the goal line.


If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong




[Linked Image]
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 42,413
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 42,413
Why haven't you talked about this before?

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 19,264
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 19,264
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:


I would expect Marecic to be cut. Teams don't usually carry two fullbacks.




Guess he doesnt have to worry he is no fullback




Daaaang.... harsh much?


But.....




Go to youtube and search "Gene Tracy Piccolo Player". Trust me on this.


And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,886
D
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
D
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,886
IF fullback is such a useless position, why to ALL the leading RBs int the league have them???

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 40,689
B
Legend
Offline
Legend
B
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 40,689
Quote:

Why haven't you talked about this before?






LOL.



God as my witness, I was talking about scrapping the FB and playing a OL or DL player at FB a few seasons before Ditka played Perry in the position.

I know you don't know me or know if what I say is true, but I was and did.



Why play a half ass when you can play a full player?



Fullbacks like Vickers, who many loved, are half assed players. They are half as good at blocking and half as good at being a offensive weapon.


You want a blocker, put a real blocker in there. You want a weapon, put in a real weapon.

As always....JMO


If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong




[Linked Image]
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 27,850
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 27,850
Quote:

I would expect Marecic to be cut. Teams don't usually carry two fullbacks.




I'm not a Owen fan but damn I feel bad for his Mom she is a sweetheart.


I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 15,186
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 15,186
O
M
G
!!!

You knew I was a sucker for wordplay, didn't you?

Marecic in a nutshell.




"too many notes, not enough music-"

#GMStong
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,728
H
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
H
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,728
Quote:

Quote:

The day if the draft I lambasted the pick, and people kept telling me that he was a good pick, and that I would learn to love the kid because if the way he plays the game. There were numerous people telling me that he was a great pick, even as a FB taken in the 4th. (which I hated to start with)




I was peeved big time because we got rid of Vickers for this kid. People can be all "well, where's Vickers now?" all they want.... he was still 10 times the player that Marecic ever was. The entire exercise was a complete waste.




Those would be my exact thoughts as well.


[Linked Image]
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 878
H
All Pro
Offline
All Pro
H
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 878
I'll stand up and be counted as a Marecic guy. I loved the pick when we did it, and still don't hold anything against the guy. A fourth rounder who is, apparently to the coaching staff, still contributing, and not costing a whole lot against the cap, and isn't an off the field issue is fine in my book.

Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 42,413
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 42,413
I also liked Marecic when we drafted him. He was known as a hard worker and a good blocker for Toby Gerhary and Stepfan Taylor. I still don't think he is as bad as everyone says he is, I just don't think he is what he was advertised to be -- a upgrade over Vickers.

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,465
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Offline
Legend
P
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,465
Quote:

Was Byner the FB or was Mack




Mack.

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,465
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Offline
Legend
P
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,465
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

The day if the draft I lambasted the pick, and people kept telling me that he was a good pick, and that I would learn to love the kid because if the way he plays the game. There were numerous people telling me that he was a great pick, even as a FB taken in the 4th. (which I hated to start with)




I was peeved big time because we got rid of Vickers for this kid. People can be all "well, where's Vickers now?" all they want.... he was still 10 times the player that Marecic ever was. The entire exercise was a complete waste.




Those would be my exact thoughts as well.




Count me in on those sentiments.

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,465
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Offline
Legend
P
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,465
Quote:

Quote:

Why haven't you talked about this before?






LOL.



God as my witness, I was talking about scrapping the FB and playing a OL or DL player at FB a few seasons before Ditka played Perry in the position.

I know you don't know me or know if what I say is true, but I was and did.



Why play a half ass when you can play a full player?



Fullbacks like Vickers, who many loved, are half assed players. They are half as good at blocking and half as good at being a offensive weapon.


You want a blocker, put a real blocker in there. You want a weapon, put in a real weapon.

As always....JMO




How often did Ditka stick The Fridge at fullback outside the goal line area?

Why do you think he didn't have him in there at, say, midfield?

I know you love to stick to this argument because it garners so much flak, but c'mon, man...you don't really believe it, do you? I'll concede that the position is becoming more and more obsolete, but do you honestly believe that a guard is capable of hitting the hole a step ahead of Trent Richardson without impeding him?

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 40,689
B
Legend
Offline
Legend
B
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 40,689
Quote:

I know you love to stick to this argument because it garners so much flak, but c'mon, man...you don't really believe it, do you? I'll concede that the position is becoming more and more obsolete, but do you honestly believe that a guard is capable of hitting the hole a step ahead of Trent Richardson without impeding him?






Yes, I do believe it, and no, I don't think you could play a guard there all the time for the reason you mention.

That's why I want one back or play with two backs. I mean a real back. Someone else who can run and catch.

Actually, this set-up with Obie in the backfield with Trent might be pretty good. Now we have a guy who has shown he can run the ball in and out, and catch the ball.

Somewhere along the line fullbacks have turned in to chunks of meat that pretty much block, and that isn't good enough for me. As I say, if that is what you want, just put in a spare lineman.

As I see it, you play 5 linemen, so that leaves you 6 playmaker positions. I don't see the value in using one of them to play a person who can't attack a defense or isn't a real blocker...use one or the other.

It's like when I mentioned Mack and Byner earlier. Sure, if Mack is your fullback, I am all for it. Don't play some guy who leads the D to the ball every time and they don't have to really account for as a weapon.


If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong




[Linked Image]
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 43,563
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 43,563
Quote:

Quote:

Chudzinski also gave Chris Ogbonnaya the nod as the team’s No. 1 fullback.

With Dion Lewis (fractured fibula) expected to be out for the season and Montario Hardesty (arthroscopic knee surgery) set to miss the beginning of the regular season, Ogbonnaya will also play some tailback to spell starter Trent Richardson.

“From a fullback standpoint, a tailback standpoint, we put Chris on the depth chart as a first teamer,” Chudzinski said. “I think he’s a role player that is a first teamer in many situations.”




Link

I would expect Marecic to be cut. Teams don't usually carry two fullbacks.




Everything I read on Marecic when we drafted him sounded like an interesting pick. Cerebral, athletic etc etc... So I didn't' think it was a bad or horrible pick. I probably defended it at the time.

As of now, I think his fate is sealed.. Maybe Harbaugh will pick him up in San Fran. we'll see, he was high on the kid coming out of college.

Too bad really, nice kid, no trouble, but if you can't do the job, you got to go.


#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 878
H
All Pro
Offline
All Pro
H
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 878
In response to the OP, good job by Ogbonnaya. He has always seems to be productive on the field.

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,465
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Offline
Legend
P
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,465
Quote:

It's like when I mentioned Mack and Byner earlier. Sure, if Mack is your fullback, I am all for it. Don't play some guy who leads the D to the ball every time and they don't have to really account for as a weapon.




That argument I can understand.

I can't get behind 'put a guard back there', but I think I get the gist of your point.

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 40,689
B
Legend
Offline
Legend
B
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 40,689
Thank-you.


If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong




[Linked Image]
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 7,129
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 7,129
Quote:

Thank-you.



The politeness is overwhelming this morning. It would be great if we could conduct all our conversations this way. Naw....too boring.


When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Chris Ogbonnaya #1 fullback

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5