Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Quote:

BEREA, Ohio -- The Cleveland Browns on Tuesday were awarded Paul Hazel from Jacksonville and Colton Schmidt from San Francisco. The Browns also waived linebacker Kendrick Adams, offensive lineman Dominic Alford, wide receiver Dominique Croom, defensive lineman Nicolas Jean-Baptiste, fullback Owen Marecic, offensive lineman Ryan Miller and tight end Travis Tannahill. In addition, the team placed running back Montario Hardesty on injured reserve and offensive lineman Chris Faulk on reserve/non-football injury.

The Browns’ roster is currently at 75 players. All NFL teams are required to have a maximum of 53 players on their active rosters by 6 p.m. ET on Saturday.

Hazel, a 6-5, 227-pound outside linebacker from Western Michigan, was waived by the Jaguars Sunday. Signed as a non-drafted free agent by Jacksonville following the 2013 draft, he had four tackles this preseason. In college, Hazel played 49 games with 19 starts, posting 104 tackles (55 solo), 24 tackles for loss, 17.5 sacks, six pass breakups, seven forced fumbles and one fumble recovery. He also saw action on the WMU basketball team during the 2012-13 season. Hazel was all-county in both football and basketball at South Miami (Fla.) High School.

Schmidt, a 5-11, 220-pound punter in his rookie season out of California-Davis, originally signed with the 49ers as an undrafted free agent on July 15. He appeared in all three of San Francisco’s preseason games and booted four punts for 201 yards (50.3 average) with a net of 47.0 yards, landing two inside the 20-yard line. At UC-Davis, Schmidt set a school record with a 41.1-yard career gross average. A native of Bakersfield, Calif., he graduated from Liberty High School.

On Monday, the team waived defensive back Vernon Kearney, defensive lineman Dave Kruger, wide receiver Cordell Roberson and linebacker Tommy Smith. The team also terminated wide receiver Jordan Norwood and placed running back Dion Lewis on injured reserve.

Link

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Its was never his fault he was here, and I didnt really hate him.
Never met him he might be a nice guy.
I hated the fact he was here. And I am really happy he is gone.

Joe Thomas #73
O
Legend
Legend
O
I hated watching him play football, and I hated that he did it for the Browns.

I made this comment in the other thread... why didn't we take a quick look at him as a LB? We were throwing people around in all kind of positions, and Marecic was a starting LB in college.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
I am assuming we didn't do it last year because Shurmur was the least creative person on Earth. It's also possible he didn't know who Marecic was.

R
Legend
Legend
R
So is Hardesty on short-term IR or long-term IR?

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Hardesty is done for the season.

S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
Im shocked we gave up on ryan miller so quickly. Was last year not his rookie year??? Then again he was not a banner guy.......i thought he had potential to be a mauling type guard. Yes he was rough around the edges but so are allot of rookies linemen who get drafted. I cant see how Gilkey can be better then him.

" Now here you are running these dirty old streets tattoo on your neck fake gold on your teeth, got the hood here snowed but you can't fool me, we both know who you are"
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Miller is concussed.

Legend
Legend
Miller was awful when he got in a game last year. Not so-so .... but truly awful. I seem to recall that he wasn't much better in practices earlier in camp.

This year he hardly practiced because of the concussion. It's a shame for him. but when you can't play, you cannot impress the coaches, and if you're a backup and can't impress the coaches, you get cut.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
D
Legend
Legend
D
GOOD BYE OWEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Time to crack the bubbly!

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
The punter we got seems pretty legit. Lanning has been pretty underwhelming this preseason.

Quote:

Schmidt, a 5-11, 220-pound punter in his rookie season out of California-Davis, originally signed with the 49ers as an undrafted free agent on July 15. He appeared in all three of San Francisco’s preseason games and booted four punts for 201 yards (50.3 average) with a net of 47.0 yards, landing two inside the 20-yard line. At UC-Davis, Schmidt set a school record with a 41.1-yard career gross average. A native of Bakersfield, Calif., he graduated from Liberty High School.

N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
Have you seen the two of them play?

Miller sucked, Gilkey does not. We're probably keeping Cousins till Lava and Pinkston get healthy, so somebody had to go.

Nelson getting healthy doomed Croom and Roberson too, probably. That dropped pass might have made the difference for Roberson, also they kept saying he couldn't (or wouldn't) run inside routes very well.

Glad to see Marecic(again)'s roster spot going to somebody who might actually be useful.

Not sure if Cooper is better than Norwood, at least better at being available. Looks like they'll keep him for the back-up possession receiver.

Legend
Legend
We are better now. Not his fault completely. But so long.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Why is Hardesty on IR? I thought he just had a hammy.

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
He had knee surgery.

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Quote:

He had knee surgery.

Running back Montario Hardesty reportedly was going to miss two to three games after having his knee scoped. The prognosis proved to be worse than expected.

espn

I see.. Man Montario really can't seem to stay healthy at all. I doubt he's on the roster next season.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

He had knee surgery.

Running back Montario Hardesty reportedly was going to miss two to three games after having his knee scoped. The prognosis proved to be worse than expected.

espn

I see.. Man Montario really can't seem to stay healthy at all. I doubt he's on the roster next season.

Sadly, that's probably the case. They may give him a shot through camps, but I wouldn't expect there to be much patience with things.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
He's not even under contract for next year, so I would guess that he never plays for us again.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

He had knee surgery.

espn

Sadly, that's probably the case. They may give him a shot through camps, but I wouldn't expect there to be much patience with things.

last year of his contract. wonder if they did it to offer him a new one?

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
B
Legend
Legend
B
When did he?

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Have you seen the two of them play?

Miller sucked, Gilkey does not.

Both sucked, thats why they were desperate enough to first trade for a guy and then convert a backup OT to RG when the deal was voided. Only reason why gilkey is still on the roster and Miller not is because one was just drafted by this regime and the other not.

As for Hardesty IR, if he isnt on the Comeback IR then why wasnt he injury/waived since it's his last year anyway?

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
Legend
Legend
Not that surprising Owen is gone.... Norwood so far is the biggest surprise for me... Hope hardesty can heal quickly... Man what a disappoint he's been so far but that was his biggest knock coming out of college...injury prone

<><

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Well, we don't have Owen to kick around anymore.

#gmstrong
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
He's going to San Francisco if he goes anywhere.

Legend
Legend
About Montario ... I'll admit two things: 1. I was always skeptical of the pick and 2. I still never thought he'd be this unproductive

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Quote:

GOOD BYE OWEN!

I'm going to party like Josh Gordon tonight!

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

GOOD BYE OWEN!

I'm going to party like Josh Gordon tonight!

Didn't you say you had strep throat?

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
M
Rookie
Rookie
M
I am wondering why Hardesty was not cut, the guy was washed up his first preseason game he ever played in. A RB that has spent more time on IR than he has on the active roster and is already at the end of his contract is not worth the paperwork to keep him.

If something were to happen to TRich, who would carry the load?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Its was never his fault he was here, and I didnt really hate him.
Never met him he might be a nice guy.
I hated the fact he was here. And I am really happy he is gone.

That's a nicer way of saying what I was thinking so I'll just agree with this post.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I am wondering why Hardesty was not cut, the guy was washed up his first preseason game he ever played in. A RB that has spent more time on IR than he has on the active roster and is already at the end of his contract is not worth the paperwork to keep him.

If something were to happen to TRich, who would carry the load?

Hardesty wasn't cut because he's injured, and according to the terms of the CBA, an injured player cannot be released without their permission. (and with an injury settlement, ala Josh Cribbs in Oakland)

Right now we seem to have gone from a position of real strength to an iffy position at RB. Originally we had Richardson as the starter, with Lewis as the backup, Obi as the FB, and Hardesty and Jackson either as the final 2 RB ... or competing for that position.

Now we're down 2 of those guys, leaving us only 2 RB ... one of whom is now a FB.

I fully expect the team to look for another back in the roster cuts, or to trade for one. They cannot be thrilled with Jackson's anemic production in the run game.Maybe Cook will show enough burst to be a possibility? Who knows? He looked good in the 3rd preseaspn game. That was against backups though.

It's going to be interesting at several positions ..... too interesting, really, because of injuries.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

All Pro
All Pro
JC.

His permission to be released? Well maybe someone should coax him along. HE IS DONE!
Why in the world would the Browns keep Hardlyplays?
He deserves to be gone as much as Marecic.
Is he that big of a monetary hit? He is Lee Suggs the second.
I never cared for the pick. Still don't. He is a waste of bench space.
The last of the guys that need to go.
And for some reason he is not GONE!
Ok done ranting.......for now......

Last edited by Woofurious; 08/27/13 10:27 PM.

Einstein could not even fathom the mathematical improbabilities of the Browns woes.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

We're probably keeping Cousins till Lava and Pinkston get healthy, so somebody had to go.

I got news for ya ... we're probably keeping Cousins long term as the 1st backup OL at G and T. He can play any of the OL positions except Center, and that kind of versatility is key in a backup OL. For all of the talk that he sucks, he's a decent backup level player. He's never going to be as good as Thomas or Schwartz ...... but he can play at a fairly respectable level with good players around him. Obviously he doesn't have Joe's feet ..... but how many linemen do, backup or others?

Now if we would have to play a backup long term we would probably try Cousins first, then looks at other solutions if he doesn't work on a long term basis. However, that said, he is still a respectable backup who can do what a backup OL has to do, and that's handle multiple positions and play either side of the line.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
losing hardesty for the year really sucks but I like OB and he can play fullback also. Losing Lewis also sucks but again we got OB but I wouldnt mind adding another 3rd down back. I dont trust Jackson.

Loved the punter addition. Kid has a leg. Now we just need to add kickalicious lol.

I hated to see Croom get cut but hey it shows our depth is improving. I think he could stick with a few teams. Glad we cut ties with Norwood. Hate it for Norwood but I would rather keep Roberson or Nelson.

Legend
Legend
I hope that we see a little more of Cook earlier in this final game. I think that he's got enough talent to be a 3rd back on an NFL roster. I have been extremely unimpressed with Jackson in the running game. He's a decent receiver out of the backfield, but if he would have to start a game, I would be extremely worried.

I do think that we're going to look hard at the RB position in the final cuts. I have a hard time seeing us going into the season with what we currently have.

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Quote:

losing hardesty for the year really sucks but I like OB and he can play fullback also. Losing Lewis also sucks but again we got OB but I wouldnt mind adding another 3rd down back. I dont trust Jackson.

Loved the punter addition. Kid has a leg. Now we just need to add kickalicious lol.

I hated to see Croom get cut but hey it shows our depth is improving. I think he could stick with a few teams. Glad we cut ties with Norwood. Hate it for Norwood but I would rather keep Roberson or Nelson.

In case you missed it. I believe we cut Roberson in the first wave of cuts.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Miller was awful when he got in a game last year. Not so-so .... but truly awful. I seem to recall that he wasn't much better in practices earlier in camp.

This year he hardly practiced because of the concussion. It's a shame for him. but when you can't play, you cannot impress the coaches, and if you're a backup and can't impress the coaches, you get cut.

I'm not a huge fan of 6'7" guards. DT's/NT's in the 6'3"/6'4", 320/330 range can generally get some terrific leverage on them. OT's......fine. OG's......not for me.

Let this sink in..... On 12-31-23 it be will 123123.
On the flip side, you can tune a piano but you can't tune-a-fish.

Legend
Legend
Marecic wasn't a surprise to anyone was he? I mean, didn't most of us feel he was gone anyway.

I think the bigger story here is Montario Hardesty.. What's being placed on the IR mean for him? Is he done for the year? Isn't this his last year of his contract?

Other than that, Roberson was my only real surprise. I really thought he'd make it to the final cuts and then be placed on the PS..

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Sorry to learn about Hardesty. Had some issues to fix, but had some promise. Explosive runner in spurts.

With this injury issue, I imagine he is on borrowed time. They are called players for a reason. Gotta take the field and produce. Probably not here next year at this time until way healthy. Hate to see anybody injured, this guy especially.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

losing hardesty for the year really sucks

Yeah, but it gets easier to overcome each time we do.

What little I saw of him last year, he played OK. Body just can't take it. I would be surprised if he played anywhere again.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Well, I would suspect that this will end Montario Hardesty's career in Cleveland.

This front office doesn't seem to be one who will throw any money at all at a player who cannot get on the field and stay there. Hardesty will have lost 2 entire seasons to injury, and will have played 2 other seasons where he was largely a non-factor/

It's a shame, because the kid has talent ..... but his talent usually winds up rotting away on the bench because of injury.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Owen Marecic cut (along with others)

Link Copied to Clipboard