Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Legend
Legend
At least 1 more cut coming since we don't have a kicker.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
The only surprise I see is that we currently have no Kicker.

JMJ being cut wasn't a surprise, because he didn't do much in the off-season, or in the preseason. He fits the 4-3 better, and did not really have a position here. He probably was best suited for the position DQ plays, but a backup can't be a single position guy.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Quote:

Most likely PS for Slaughter i bet...

The Browns had holes a CB, S, and G. So they trade 2 picks for next year (division rival Pittsburgh used it to draft a S) and then the 6th rounder don't make the team. That's 3 picks the Browns had this past draft and didn't fill any holes for this year

I honestly think that the Browns were looking to trade each and every pick passed the 3rd round away but didn't find a buyer after the deals that we made to send our 4th and 5th rounders to other teams so they took a flyer on the 6th round pick.

Also, to be fair, we still have Gilkey.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Also, to be fair, we still have Gilkey.

...and Armonty Bryant.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Quote:

So those future picks that we got don't count as a positive?

I was talking about contributions for this year. One poster said " Did you expect a player in those rounds to contribute/." When we are getting the same rounds next year. The Browns have 2 players on the roster that were drafted later. One was a G, a position of need, and another was a DE.

I guess Im not too happy with the last draft and Im still disappointed about it.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

We cut both our kickers (Bogotay and Graham), Gurley, Sanford, JMJ, and others.

So a week before our opener, we don't have a kicker? Super...

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
What does a kicker need to know that he can't learn in one day?

V
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
V
How much does it really matter? I mean if we pick up a guy who has been active in preseason i.e. Carpenter does it make a difference? How much of a play book is there to learn for a kicker.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

What does a kicker need to know that he can't learn in one day?

Timing with his holder? I don't pretend to know whether or not every kicker likes the ball set exactly the same way...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
D
Legend
Legend
D
True. Very true. Maybe they'll bring in kickalicious lol!

T
Legend
Legend
T
On the bright side, they have 11 offensive lineman. or did I miss where one of these are gone. Thomas, Mack, Greco, Schwartz, Gilkey, Hauptman, Butler, Shaw, Cousins, Lauvao, and Pinkston. In most years, 8, maybe 9 make the team.
Those injuries to Pinkston and Lauvao are making it tricky, because what do you do?

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
B
All Pro
All Pro
B
Quote:

On the bright side, they have 11 offensive lineman. or did I miss where one of these are gone. Thomas, Mack, Greco, Schwartz, Gilkey, Hauptman, Butler, Shaw, Cousins, Lauvao, and Pinkston. In most years, 8, maybe 9 make the team.
Those injuries to Pinkston and Lauvao are making it tricky, because what do you do?

12 OL, Hauptmann.

Statistics are like a bikini; what they show is interesting, but what they hide is vital.
Drive for show (1st round), Putt for dough (rest of draft).
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

...they have 11 offensive lineman[.../quote]
I thought we kept 12 at this time. The OT from Temple, I forget his name...

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Don't need 'em....we'll score nothing but TD's and score two point conversions.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Don't need 'em....we'll score nothing but TD's and score two point conversions.

Either that or we'll never get beyond midfield

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Do you think anyone they drafted in the 4,5,6 round were going to fill a hole THIS year anyway?

I guess that cant be answered until we see how many CBs, Gs, or Safeties made other teams rosters (in those rounds).

Ill let the Lombardi haters do their homework on looking that up.

Just a kinda dumb question, if the question can't be answered, then why complain about it? Just wondering..

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
V
Legend
Legend
V
I've supported the front office, but the final roster is looking odd......at best.

And yes, I do realize that we will be signing guys, but do we already know who is going to be cut or are we hoping for talent to be cut?

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
I'm thinking they have stuff in the works but just can't talk about it yet. Also, waiting for waiver claims/players to clear waivers.

Legend
Legend
I suspect that we have decided that the guys we cut are no better than the guys we'll be able to sign. (and some teams had already released their cuts, so the FO had a chance to see who was available in a lot of cases)

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I'm thinking they have stuff in the works but just can't talk about it yet. Also, waiting for waiver claims/players to clear waivers.

If I understand the rules correctly (no guarantees that I do) they can't even contact anyone until after midnight tonight.

So tomorrow will be interesting..

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
V
Legend
Legend
V
Yeah, you guys are probably right, but the final roster [as of right now] and some of the cuts left me feeling less than positive about our chances this year. And I wasn't all that positive to begin with.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Yeah, you guys are probably right, but the final roster [as of right now] and some of the cuts left me feeling less than positive about our chances this year. And I wasn't all that positive to begin with.

Given what we had in camp, what would you have done differently? Starting with just with just what was in camp....

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
I either want to play for a playoff spot or just give youngsters a chance to develop. I don't want to finish 6-10 or 7-9 just to play ourselves out of the Boyd/Bridgewater sweepstakes.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
V
Legend
Legend
V
For starters, I would not have kept Hauptman, Butler, or Wallace. I would not have kept Carder, Martin, and Hazel. I would have kept Gurley. I would have kept either Nelson or Norwood. I would have kept one kicker until I signed another one.

I'm just disappointed...........like I am every year at during the draft and at cut-down time. No biggie.

L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Do you think anyone they drafted in the 4,5,6 round were going to fill a hole THIS year anyway?

I guess that cant be answered until we see how many CBs, Gs, or Safeties made other teams rosters (in those rounds).

Ill let the Lombardi haters do their homework on looking that up.

Just a kinda dumb question, if the question can't be answered, then why complain about it? Just wondering..

Im complaining because IMO there are still holes at G, CB, and S. If I cared to do the research, Im sure I can find those positions being taken with the picks the Browns didn't use to shore up those positions this season. Yes they did take Gilkey later in the draft and McFadden earlier but I havnt read too much positive about McFadden from fellow Dawgtalkers.

V
Legend
Legend
V
So, you think the new FO should have fixed every need on the team even though the previous regime had three years and didn't fix those same needs?

Did you rag on the previous regime, too?

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
After the pick we traded to Pit and through the 7th round:
13 CBs drafted, 4 have been cut
12 S drafted, 1 cut (Slaughter)
9 G drafted, 3 cut

Draft link

Cuts link

LIbertatem Defendimus!!

2010 Dawgtalkers NCAA Bracket Challenge Champ!!
L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Quote:

So, you think the new FO should have fixed every need on the team even though the previous regime had three years and didn't fix those same needs?

Did you rag on the previous regime, too?

I ragged on all of them.

V
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
V
Its debatable whether guard was a whole at draft time. I think the holes developed due to injuries in preseason. If Lavauo and Pinkston don't get hurt we are solid guard. They can't really go into a draft trying to predict who might get injured. They tried to address CB in the third so that leaves safety as a definite hole that wasn't addressed in the draft.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

...the final roster is looking odd......at best.
Quote:

It does seem a bit umm....unconventional. I would expect the present makeup of the roster is in accordance with what the coaching staff deemed necessary.

D
Rookie
Rookie
D
I guess Phil Dawson really was irreplaceable

Legend
Legend
'NFL roster cuts 2013: Browns cut down to 53 players and zero kickers'

web page

By Satchel Price on Aug 31 2013, 6:58pm

The Browns don't have a kicker after releasing two Saturday.

The Cleveland Browns officially released 14 players on Saturday to meet the league's 53-man roster requirement before a 6 p.m. ET deadline. Both of the team's kickers, Shayne Graham and rookie Brandon Bogotay, were among the cuts, leaving Cleveland with a position completely unfilled just over a week before the season begins.

Along with the 14 departures, the Browns also placed wide receiver Josh Gordon on the NFL's suspended list. The league suspended Gordon for two games due to a violation of the substance abuse policy this summer, so he'll be eligible to return Week 3.

The full list of players cut Saturday is below. All of these players were placed on waivers except for Graham, who had his contract terminated.

OL Aaron Adams
DB Akeem Auguste
K Brandon Bogotay
LB Justin Cole
RB Jamaine Cook
DL Hall Davis
K Shayne Graham
WR Tori Gurley
LB James-Michael Johnson
WR David Nelson
WR Naaman Roosevelt
DL Brian Sanford
DB Jamoris Slaughter
LB Justin Staples

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Possibly. I know this is a bit out of the box, but possibly Lanning is showing the staff enough that he is going to be our kicker.

I don't know how much he has practiced doing it this year. Obviously enough to give him a test last week. If he is showing the leg in practice on the longer kicks, maybe they feel it is simply a matter of knocking off the rust.

The bigger probability is we saw a few kicker names hit the wire and decided we are going after one of them.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Quote:

Possibly. I know this is a bit out of the box, but possibly Lanning is showing the staff enough that he is going to be our kicker.

I don't know how much he has practiced doing it this year. Obviously enough to give him a test last week. If he is showing the leg in practice on the longer kicks, maybe they feel it is simply a matter of knocking off the rust.

The bigger probability is we saw a few kicker names hit the wire and decided we are going after one of them.

Wait. Who was mocked for saying that we could give both punting and kicking duties to a single player? Wasn't it claimed that the kicking motions are just too different to have someone doing both duties?

Now, you're just being silly.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Just fyi stuff as I have no idea about kicking motions.

I think I saw somewhere that Chud stated Lanning would not do both.

A few years ago Atlanta tried that with Koening (sp?) and it seems like that idea failed. Though I don't remember why. Did he punt well and placekick poorly? Placekick well and punt poorly? Or just do both badly?

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Legend
Legend
IIRC I have read that the two types of kicks require different motions/strength training, which causes a player to lose distance and/or accuracy.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
Cockroft did it pretty well. Old-style placekicker, though.

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Chud said in his press conference that Lanning wouldn't be doing both. So there is that.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Owen Marecic cut (along with others)

Link Copied to Clipboard