Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
V
Legend
Legend
V
At first, I never thought Hoyer had a prayer of being the guy. I was convinced that we were drafting a qb in round 1. Then, I saw Hoyer play.

I actually think Hoyer had a chance to win the job and we could have used all those picks to build a great team. Did you see that first pass he made to Gordon? The one Gordon dropped? What a beauty of a throw. Great read. Threw it in about 1.5 seconds. Right on the money. In stride. Wow!

Now, w/him getting hurt so early in the process and his lack of accomplishments.....it's safe to assume we are almost guaranteed to pick a first round qb and we may even use multiple picks to move up in the draft.

What a shame.

Legend
Legend
I hedge my bet. Top QB, and not Hoyer. I would rather Hoyer help play a rookie in (can anybody see Weeden teaching up a rookie? I can not). But would you play Weeden with his "SackMaster" habits? Hard call that. We need more than that. That whole "Can't lose a starting job to injury" thang gets awful hard to honor now. Finally, a QB controversy if Hoyer can go again this season.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
I haven't read any of the thread...

I honestly...want to say, lets see what we have...

That means...I really liked what Hoyer brought to the table, and based on how Weeden finishes (if he is a tire fire ignore this). If he is serviceable, he returns to backup slot next year and Hoyer if healthy takes over. Let the guy who in my opinion earned a shot to be the guy have that shot.

If Weeden is a tire fire. Draft a guy and Hoyer is the backup/starter lets see where he is at.

Our offense would be better served with another good WR (look how much better Matt Ryan got with someone to pair with Roddy White), an OG, and a CB. Then in a later round, grab a QB that you think has potential and he becomes a 3rd QB that we just work with and work with and work with. Or take one in the 2nd round. There are about 8 QBs that will be good to great NFL starters in this draft in my opinion, depending on the style you want to play.

I could see Aaron Murray (who reminds me a lot of his predecessor Stafford) falling to the top of the 2nd and I think will be VERY VERY VERY good in the NFL. That is a time I'd pull the trigger.

I honestly think that with Hoyer and Weeden we have a good 1/2 combo that wont destroy the bank and allow us to make the moves we need to get good.

1 or two OGs, a WR, a TE (later round), a 2nd CB, a backup safety to be behind Gipson (can Slaughter do that?), a backup ILB to give rest to DQ and CRob as well as be the guy DQ can groom, and a RB (or FB...if we went Ogbonnaya and Lewis...that'd be fine...but we'd need a decent FB to complement that).

This offense isn't far away.

With better run blocking guards, a wide receiver that can make teams pay for doubling Gordon (I want Sammy Watkins so bad), plus Bess and Cameron...Add that extra TE that can block and catch (a Watson type), and this offense is prepped.

With a QB like Hoyer, it's over. With Weeden we'd be good, but need to see improvement from him in touch.

We may have the luxury to take a QB, and not hurt our chances at getting talent at all of the other spots.

This is a great situation for us.

"It has to start somewhere
It has to start somehow
What better place than here?
What better time than now?"
C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

I could see Aaron Murray (who reminds me a lot of his predecessor Stafford)

Really? I don't see that at all. Murray is probably about 6'1" and his biggest knock is that he doesn't have great arm strength. Stafford is 6'3" and has one of the strongest arms in the NFL.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

So you are saying that if Weeds takes us to the playoffs, we should trade him and draft a rookie? Really?

Has anybody else watched us FAIL to get that franchise guy for 20 friggin' years?

People are talking like this is as easy as picking a Big Mac at McDonalds.

I think we are very, very close to having a team that is good enough, complete enough, to win with a generic, avg QB. Five picks in the first three could make this a team with a lot of strengths and no weaknesses.

Making the playoffs isn't the goal ... or it shouldn't be.

If Weeden improves to the extent that the team feels that he can be a Championship level QB, then yeah, absolutely keep him. If not, then the team should certainly trade him for value.

The playoffs shouldn't be enough. If we make the playoffs and the defense carries us, and the QB does nothing special, then he should be replaced. If we make the playoffs and the QB is one of the drivers, then you take another look at him as the long term guy. The worst thing we could do is to get stuck with a guy who just happened to be in the drivers seat when the rest of the team carried us to a winning record. Weeden had several areas to improve in, and I think that he knows what they are. Can he improve enough to be the guy? I don't know. He knows what his weaknesses are, so now he has to make those his strengths. That should be his constant focus.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
1st String
1st String
I might have heard something sprout last night. Maybe Mr. Weeden started growing a set and shoved his ego to the back. Losing your job tends to do that. Maybe the great minds on the bench started to realize what offense works for him. I don't know, but he got the job done last night. There have been many championship teams where the QB's were simply adequate. Terry Bradshaw, Ben Roethlisberger to name a couple. K.I.S.S. and let the great team around him carry him and maybe we can have a better season then I for one originally thought it was going to be.

Never have hope. You won’t be disappointed.
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Quote:

I'm not sure what your point is, but those are not good examples of teams "looking" for a franchise QB (other than the Rivers pick).

Mallett, Jones, and Glennon were all mid to late round picks and not considered future franchise QBs.

The Chargers drafted Rivers because Brees hadn't panned out. 41 year old Doug Flutie was getting playing time over him. The year Rivers got drafted Brees blew up and became a star.

(If I am not understanding your post I apoligize.)

I guess it's more of a 'just cuz you got one don't mean you should stop looking' thing. Mallett, Jones, and Glennon at different times in their college careers were considered top talent. Yes they fell in the draft but physically they have the tools.
If any were to get a chance to play, and succeeded, do you think other teams wouldn't take note? Either the team that drafted them has now developed their next guy or they've created a trade situation for a QB starved team. Win win.
I'm all for what the Redskins did with both RG3 and Cousins. The position is too important to not have a good one. Yes those other picks can be used to fortify the rest of the team but the team won't go without a top level QB. See the Colts with Manning and with Sorgi/Painter. One one a Super Bowl. The others got LUCKy.

[Linked Image]
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Quote:

Who knows, we might not be in a position to draft a QB. Lombardi doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who is going to take a QB just because he feels pressure to do it. He strikes me as the guy who will take one if he feels they are worth it. He could have easily taken Geno Smith or EJ Manual this past season and declined on both, twice on Smith.

think it was more like...

banner: chud what you think of the QBs on the team?

chud: I think I can work with weeden.

banner: mike what you think?

mike: well I think we will be able to bring hoyer in at some point. I really think this kid could be good. and we picked up Campbell just in case neither work out.

banner: well should we draft a QB this year?

chud. let me see with weeden before we draft one.

mike: I really think hoyer could be something good.

banner: ok. well you two just made hortens day. he really wnted mingo.

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
j/c
I've heard reports that the Browns have or will sign Thigpen. That seems in keeping with the team's long term plans.

Injury or no injury they will draft a QB high. I think they want a player who embodies all of the characteristics they want in the position. The way they evaluated Mingo this year. That player is/was(Hoyer) not on the roster. I won't pretend to know who that will be. But a QB will be taken with that vision in mind.

If that player sits behind Hoyer or Weeden doesn't matter.

That's what I think Banner, et. al. plan to do.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c

Whichever direction the FO goes in next year's draft was (we believed) to be dictated by how the rest of this season played out. Losing Hoyer makes this issue more complex. If their decision is that the guy is not on our current roster, then 2014 (for obvious reasons) is the year we must draft one.

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
P
All Pro
All Pro
P
Quote:

If Weeden improves to the extent that the team feels that he can be a Championship level QB, then yeah, absolutely keep him. If not, then the team should certainly trade him for value.

no no no no no... bad dog

He will never be a championship lvl qb... I thought we moved on from this.

What value is there in a 30 yro qb with 2 years experience but isnt good enough to take over the team he is already on and has serious mental and mechanical flaws???

L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Quote:

I could see Aaron Murray (who reminds me a lot of his predecessor Stafford) falling to the top of the 2nd and I think will be VERY VERY VERY good in the NFL. That is a time I'd pull the trigger.

I honestly think that with Hoyer and Weeden we have a good 1/2 combo that wont destroy the bank and allow us to make the moves we need to get good.

1 or two OGs, a WR, a TE (later round), a 2nd CB, a backup safety to be behind Gipson (can Slaughter do that?), a backup ILB to give rest to DQ and CRob as well as be the guy DQ can groom, and a RB (or FB...if we went Ogbonnaya and Lewis...that'd be fine...but we'd need a decent FB to complement that).

This offense isn't far away.

With better run blocking guards, a wide receiver that can make teams pay for doubling Gordon (I want Sammy Watkins so bad), plus Bess and Cameron...Add that extra TE that can block and catch (a Watson type), and this offense is prepped.

With a QB like Hoyer, it's over. With Weeden we'd be good, but need to see improvement from him in touch.

We may have the luxury to take a QB, and not hurt our chances at getting talent at all of the other spots.

This is a great situation for us.

I like what you said about future players for this team.

I would love to add a stud WR and Murray in the 2nd round. Ive been watching Murray a lot this year and he seems to be a little off the radar like a Bridgewater but Im really impressed with him.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

What value is there in a 30 yro qb with 2 years experience but isnt good enough to take over the team he is already on and has serious mental and mechanical flaws???

I don't expect that Weeden will be good enough to remain in the team's long term plans, except maybe as the backup. I desperately hope that he shows enough the rest of the way out that another team wants to trade for him so we can get some value out of the investment we made.

I don't see "pretty good" as being good enough for the front office. I don't expect "decent, but he led the team to the playoffs" to be good enough. The only way that Weeden remains as the QB here is if he improved to the extent that it becomes impossible for the team to even consider trading him. Even then I could see the team bringing in a rookie QB behind him. I don't necessarily think that this will happen ...... but what I am saying is that this is the only way I see the team considering keeping him.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

At first, I never thought Hoyer had a prayer of being the guy. I was convinced that we were drafting a qb in round 1. Then, I saw Hoyer play.

I actually think Hoyer had a chance to win the job and we could have used all those picks to build a great team. Did you see that first pass he made to Gordon? The one Gordon dropped? What a beauty of a throw. Great read. Threw it in about 1.5 seconds. Right on the money. In stride. Wow!

Now, w/him getting hurt so early in the process and his lack of accomplishments.....it's safe to assume we are almost guaranteed to pick a first round qb and we may even use multiple picks to move up in the draft.

What a shame.

I agree with your assessment of Hoyer's play. Kid looked sharp and in control.

Even if your draft prediction comes true, I'd hope that they keep Hoyer. He seems like the kind of player you'd want... and what he showed as a back-up looked to be promising. Besides, you never know when your newly-minted "poor man's Andrew Luck" will go down with an injury... and I'd feel a helluvalot more secure with Hoyer as the #2 than I would with Weeden.

"too many notes, not enough music-"

#GMStong
Legend
Legend
People talk about how much of a shame it is that we might have to trade up. Is that really a bad thing? Maybe I'm a homer but I don't think we have that many needs to be honest. I think we need:

QB - Obvious

RB - That's something that we can easily get later in the draft or free agency. We don't need a high pick for this position. It's a passing league.

#2 WR - We're going to need to use a 1st or 2nd rounder

OG - Once again, something that we can use a late rounder on or get in free agency

#2 CB - I would LOVE to get Sam Shields from Green Bay

FS - Maybe???? I like Gibson so this is a tossup.

Depth guys - UDFAs and free agency. We just need competent vets.

So we're looking at 5 positions and we can address 2 of them in free agency. Maybe 3 if we get lucky. Honestly I'd rather KNOW how good guys are then tank for a QB. You will NEVER fill every hole.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
You can't really tank when you have a good team.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
...but, but Heckert was such a bad GM

Add FB to the Need list, along with SS and C if we dont re-sign Ward and Mack

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

1. Hoyer needs to heal, he's our back-up or Starter next year.

2. Draft a Franchise QB next year, if he can start right away great if not we have Hoyer.

3. Postion ourself in the draft we have two first round picks use them to pick a franchise QB or use them to move up and get a franchise QB.

4. Trade Weeden..

5. DO NOT SIGN FREEMAN.....

That's ideal Clay.. I agree with every word...

In a perfect world, it goes like this for me... in the offseason we trade Weeden for a mid-late round pick or a ham sandwich, whatever we can get, then we move up to pick our QB of choice.. we go into next year and Hoyer gets the start and lights it up and we end up with a Drew Brees/Philip Rivers situation... Yes, I just compared Hoyer to Drew Brees...

This is exactly what I'm thinking too. You draft a Franchise QB, and then let Hoyer start next season. Give the incoming rookie as much time as possible to actually learn the ropes, and in the mean time see what you've got in Hoyer. I'd actually love for a rookie QB to get a year of under-study duty (in the same system) for once before getting thrown to the wolves. I think a big reason our QB's crash and burn so often is that we throw them into starting roles as soon as possible, and they're still trying to adjust to the NFL while learning a whole new playbook as well.

Worst case scenerio, Hoyer doesn't pan out and we turn the team over to the franchise guy after he's been given time to adjust. Best case, we get a Rivers/Brees situation.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
We need a Franchise Qb, I don't care if Weeden takes us to the playoffs. We still have to draft one. Weeden at his best could look like Joe Flacco. That's what we don't want.

The point being we need a guy who we know has the talent and can grow into the position and be a top QB. Not someone with a high ceiling being Flacco, where when his contract is up....we have to resign...just because.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
At this point, since there is no better FA QB than Campbell, I would look at practice squads around the league for developmental talent. Some names:

WR C.Hamilton-Cin
RB Herron-Cin
TE Furstenburg-BAL
QB T.Lewis-Buf (why isnt he their backup? He's better than Tuel)
WR T.King-Den
RB Ray Graham-Hou
RB Kerw.Williams-Indy
QB Harnish-Indy
QB M.Scott-Jax
LB JaG Davis-NE
G Kelemete-Ari
FS R.Miles-NYJ
QB Wilson-Oak
RB G.Winn-Oak
WR E.Blake-Stl
RB J.Jamison-Wash
CB C.Minnifield-Wash

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Sometimes I wonder how big the difference is between the average Qb's in the league and the developmental guys. I'm starting to think the ability to make quick decisions and correct reads are the most important attributes for a qb, which probably takes a while to learn.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Let's assume that Hoyer is done for the year.

If you are the Browns brass right now, have you seen enough from Hoyer to refrain from going after one of the top-tier QBs in the draft?

Or do you think the vision is to draft a top-tier QB prospect regardless how Hoyer plays and he is just a stop gap?

My feeling is that Weeden is not a part of the long term plan.

Curious what everyone thinks.

die...this front office hates Weeden...he is as good as gone.

They will draft a QB, regardless of what Hoyer showed in his brief time as a starter.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
B
Legend
Legend
B
Probably so Mac, though I wouyldn't peg that at 100%.

I hate the Hoyer injury at this time. If it had to happen I wish it could have been a few more games in. I was really hoping we didn't have to draft a QB and could have used those picks to fill other holes.

Who knows....maybe between practice and the 2 full games, the staff has all the read on Hoyer they need and decide he is the guy moving forward.

That would be the ideal. We could fix things in a hurry.

As someone else mentioned, this is a good opportunity for Weeden to boost his value around the league and possibly play his way on to another team and seek him in a trade. Right now we could probably get a 5th rounder for the guy from a team in dire need. It would be great if he plays well and we could move him for a 3rd or maybe even better.

We will find out, but it is pretty clear this is his last season here. That said, it's time for everybody to get behind him. No use complaining about it. He's the guy the rest of the way.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

People talk about how much of a shame it is that we might have to trade up. Is that really a bad thing? Maybe I'm a homer but I don't think we have that many needs to be honest.

It's a shame because we could have taken players at multiple positions, rather than using multiple picks for one player.

Not sure how that doesn't make sense to you?

C
All Pro
All Pro
C
If there is a franchise QB available I would take him but Hoyer is good enough that I wouldn't reach for one (like we did with Weeden). If Hoyer ends up being great then we can let the rookie develop like Aaron Rodgers did. It wouldn't be horrible to have a veteran QB for once.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I was really rooting for Hoyer and he did impress me. However, I don't think he really proved himself to be the guy. His amount of playing time wasn't long enough.

I think we almost have to take a qb in round 1.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Quote:

Maybe being replaced by Hoyer lit a fire under his ass. That's all that I can hope for right now and that mentally, he comes to understand it. The team did him a disservice last year by naming him the starter without making him earn it. My hope is that he realizes it and that he plays better because of it.

He did well enough to allow the team to have a chance at winning the game last week and that should be looked at as an improvement over last season. The coaching staff had about 10 days to get him mentally prepared to take on the Lions. I hope that they can get it done. If he makes mistakes, I fully expect that Chud will be in his grill the second he comes off the field only to have him get on the phone with Norv to have his ears screamed off until they're bleeding.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

We will find out, but it is pretty clear this is his last season here. That said, it's time for everybody to get behind him. No use complaining about it. He's the guy the rest of the way.

I don't think it's clear at all. As anyone here can attest, I've never liked Weeden but I hope that he realizes that he can be replaced easily enough and works to improve his decision-making.

And we don't know if Weeden is the guy the rest of the way either. He could get injured again. It's also obvious that the team will seek to add a 3rd QB to the roster since we don't have one on the practice squad to promote. I like that they're looking at Thigpen. He has similar tools to Hoyer. He wouldn't be a bad QB to bring in. We'll have to wait and see what they do. What I do like though is that with 10 days between games, they don't have to feel rushed into making a decision.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I hope you aren't in sales ...

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
DIEHARD Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Quote:

What a shame.

Yep, this is pretty much how I feel too. I'm not sure how long Hoyer's rehab will be but he may take a year or so. They have no choice but to draft that rookie QB.

they get it right this time.

------------------------------
*In Baker we trust*
-------------------------------
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
j/c

People throw down the "franchise QB" words like I throw down a bottle of Bud Light. There is not one guy currently draft-eligible whom I would call a "franchise QB". Getting one is not like going to the store for a new pair of shoes.

I think that Hoyer's injury puts us back in the position of drafting a QB in Rd 1 or 2. Had he stayed healthy and continued to play well, I think we would draft a QB in RD 3. I believe that the FO were expecting to draft a QB regardless of how Hoyer performed. OR

We were going to take a QB early - RD 1 - no matter what...but take whoever fell to us and who we liked the most. Now, we are back to likely needing to trade up to get our preferred guy.

That's the part that sucks the most to me...using (2) picks to get one unproven guy at a position that is very difficult to project future success / franchise-ness.

I thought yesterday that we should scour the practice squads and steal someone's developmental guy. But, with Campbell seeming like a retiree (completely inactive Sunday) we probably need a vet to get through the season and who may actually have to play if Weeden gets dinged.

I hope Weeden does two simple things from here on out. Organize the huddle and call the play quickly...get rid of the damn ball before the 3 second count. That's it. Fix those two simple things and the rest will be what it will be.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Quote:

People talk about how much of a shame it is that we might have to trade up. Is that really a bad thing? Maybe I'm a homer but I don't think we have that many needs to be honest.

It's a shame because we could have taken players at multiple positions, rather than using multiple picks for one player.

Not sure how that doesn't make sense to you?

What makes you sure that the Browns front office will trade up at all?

Take a look at the 2011 Eagles draft (the last one that Banner was a part of creating) and ask yourself whether trading up fits his modus operandi? They accumulated 11 picks (including two 7th round compensatory picks).

In 2010, the Eagles accumulated 13 draft picks, including 4 fourth rounders.

Even in 2009, where they had no 3rd or 4th round selections, they had 9 picks.

In 2008, with no 1st rounder, they had 10 picks.

The pattern seems to be that they have more picks than the standard seven picks every draft.

It seems that they're philosophy really is going to be that you build out of the draft. Currently, we have 10 picks in next year's draft, including two 1st, two 3rds and two 4th round picks. This doesn't even include any compensatory picks we might get.

Legend
Legend
Haven't read any of the thread after I posted my initial thoughts. At the time, we didn't know the severity of Hoyers injury.

Now, we do and he's done for the year. Weeden will be the starter I suppose. I guess we'll go out and get a 3rd stringer as some insurance.

During the off season, it appears we'll need to find a QB.. either a sure thing or a project. I suspect that Hoyer wil come back and be fine and with Weeden still under contract, the odd man out would be Campbell.

Hoyer starts, Weeden or the rook as 2nd.

hell, it's all guess work anyway.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
M
Legend
Legend
M
Just my opinion, but unless Weeden lights up the NFL for the rest of the year, I doubt the FO keeps him. I think he'll be released.

Tackles are tackles.
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

I suspect that Hoyer will come back and be fine and with Weeden still under contract, the odd man out would be Campbell.

Not for anything, but Campbell is still under contract through 2015.

Browns contract status via Spotrac

You'll notice that Shawn Lauvao, Alex Mack and T.J. Ward are free agents. So is Craig Robertson.

After next season, we'll have a lot more players becoming free agents, including a lot of key pieces. Browns that will become free agents after next season include Jordan Cameron, Joe Haden, Phil Taylor, Jabaal Sheard, Ahtyba Rubin, Buster Skrine and Brian Hoyer. You can add Chris Ogbannaya, Ishmaa'ily Kitchen, Johnson Bademosi, Dion Lewis, Greg Little, Tashaun Gipson and Quientin Groves.

That's a lot of free agents that have to be considered after NEXT season. I think the Browns will make contract extension offers to a number of these players in the off-season.

Another option that most folks here haven't considered is that the Browns may actually consider trading away a first rounder (for a player) or using it as trade material in a trade back (to acquire more picks in the draft). As with every other time you're in battle, you can NEVER have too much ammo.

I fully expect that this front office may try and turn that first rounder that we got from Indy for Richardson into a panoply of picks that gets them the same value that Holmgren & Co. gave up to acquire him.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Weeden won't be outright released unless he becomes an arch-criminal and does it openly.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Long Term strategy?

We are in evaluation mode of Weeden. Weeden has a chance under Turner and Chud if he can learn to play without the fear thats holding him back. When you have an arm like that and accuracy, you can be great even if you are dumb (see Farve).

Hoyer returning next year means you can give Hoyer the rock and you dont have to throw a rookie to the wolves. We can still draft a QB but you draft with the plan of grooming him.

Personally, I get on the phone with the Pats and trade for Mallett. I felt he was the best QB in the draft 3 years ago and my opinion hasnt wavered. Another learning behind Brady lol

There are QB options in the draft and right now its a muddled mess. Lots of talent waiting to determine the slotting system. Hell we could draft 2 qbs and let it play out on the practice field.

Anyway its Weeden's team now and he did show me a bit more mental toughness this week. Last year the boos would have crushed him. He didnt play great but he did play good enough.

So right now the long term plan is to watch what happens tonight at the college level and next week versus the lions.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Look, I would love to feel confident that Weeden or Hoyer could be the answer. I just think the FO has made their decision on Weeden back in training camp (Lombardi back in 2012) and Hoyer's sample size is just too small. It would be nice to have the QB position answered and we could focus the two first rounders on other positions....that would be PERFECT. I just don't think this is the case.

As evidence in YTOWN's signature, the FO wants a championship level QB. Right now, neither of the aforementioned QBs are that. I don't think there is any more "evaluation" of Weeden as you mentioned. They're (FO) minds are made up about him. Now, could his play change their minds? Sure, it could. But I doubt it.

No matter what, this team will look to a QB in the first round IMO (no matter how it plays out) and if they feel comfortable with him, he will start Week 1 like many first rounders do.

QB rankings in college are always muddled this time of year...it's early October for crying out loud. Some will rise to the top and separate themselves and many will shift back and forth. I'd give it some time.

Tackles are tackles.
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
What is your take on Lombardi as a talent evaluator? You two seem to be the only people I've seen talking up Mallett and it intrigues me.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I thought he was the worst GM of all time but he keeps making the moves that I wanted us to make soo he has gotten a very smart and started reading my posts lol. Very few things have i disagreed with Lombardi since he came to the Browns.

I do feel he learned a great deal while observing everyone else. I agreed with him on Weeden when we drafted weeden that it was a wasted pick. I thought Gordon was a really stupid move by Heckert and Lombardi agreed with me again there lol Ricahrdson I loved but I have that rule about never draft a RB in the first when he is coming off a knee injury. it is always disaster.

His number 1 selection thus far is the hiring of Chud and that was Lombardi. NFL network Lombardi was amazed by Chud, he praised Chud like no other coordinator in the league.

Never liked the guy but I am more than satisfied with the Job he and Banner have done. Plus they have just brought this aggressive mindset to the Browns that everyone is getting used to and that includes players and fans lol.

We get a lead we arent in prevent we are still in Man and attacking. We are slinging it still.

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Long Term Strategy...Now What?

Link Copied to Clipboard