|
|
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 2,891
Dawg Talker
|
OP
Dawg Talker
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 2,891 |
Just curious if any posters remember "Abe Abraham....The Man In The Brown Suit". And for the younger posters who wouldn't, he would, in his Brown Suit, shag extra points and field goals behind the endzone at the closed end of old muni stadium............for 36 YEARS!!!!!!! He was just as popular as any Browns Player was. I can def remember the game he was late and the crowd asking one another "Where's Abe? Where's Abe? Abe Abraham was perhaps the most popular non-player in Browns history, until Big Dawg John Thompson came along. Abraham was affectionately known as "The Man in the Brown Suit" during his days with the team. Abe's main duty was retrieving extra point and field goal tries behind the goalposts in the closed end of the stadium. On September 20, 1964, Abe missed the start of the Browns-Cardinals game, the first and only time he was ever late for a game. When he finally arrived at the stadium, he received a louder ovation than many of the Browns players themselves. Later, Abe claimed that he was late because he couldn't find those famous Brown pants. 
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 75,598
Legend
|
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 75,598 |
My dad was literally just talking about this last night ... so weird that you mention it today. He and my uncles were reminiscing saying "I bet no one even remembers him" and recalled him being late for a kickoff one time as well.
So strange to see this posted today. Wow.
"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Boston is far to the left as KC settles into the slot. Fannin is flanked out wide to the right. Judkins and Sampson are split in the backfield as the ball is hiked ... Here we go."
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 2,891
Dawg Talker
|
OP
Dawg Talker
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 2,891 |
Quote:
My dad was literally just talking about this last night ... so weird that you mention it today. He and my uncles were reminiscing saying "I bet no one even remembers him" and recalled him being late for a kickoff one time as well.
So strange to see this posted today. Wow.

You gotta show him this. And if he was there he'll tell you, the crowd would literally "GO NUTS" when he caught the ball!!!
He was part of the whole experience back then.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 13,205
Legend
|
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 13,205 |
I remember Abe catching EP's and FG's behind the baseball infield-end goalposts and I remember he wore a brown suit. But thats all I remember about him, which I wish was the case with Big Dawg who annoyed the living bleep out of me by boo-hooing in front of Congress when the Browns moved. I remember thinking "this tard represents Browns fans?".
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 2,891
Dawg Talker
|
OP
Dawg Talker
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 2,891 |
The part about Thopmpson I copied and pasted. I couldn't find to much about Abe cept for "blogs" which, when clicking on "submit", the forums always "scold me".
Here's another from Terry Pluto..........
Fred and Carol Matthews e-mailed this: "There was a man in a brown suit who came to every game and tried to catch footballs in the end zone. His name was Abe Abrahams. I first met Mr. Abrahams at a restaurant he owned at Chatfield and West 150th Street called The Caboose. The restaurant had a great collection of Browns memorabilia. I still remember Abe leaning on the coffee urn handle, moving a cup up and down, telling Browns stories. The progress of the Rapid Transit tore down the Caboose restaurant and its Cleveland Browns memories of old. . . . Gone were the days of 50-cent games."
I remember an aging Abe in a brown business suit catching most of those footballs kicked through the uprights. So does almost any Browns fans with a few gray hairs. Don't ask us why the team had this guy in a brown suit catching footballs during games, but they did. And fans loved to cheer when Abe made a nice grab.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 27,850
Legend
|
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 27,850 |
I remember Abe very well 
I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,276
Dawg Talker
|
Dawg Talker
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,276 |
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 2,891
Dawg Talker
|
OP
Dawg Talker
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 2,891 |
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 40,712
Legend
|
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 40,712 |
If everybody had like minds, we would never learn. GM Strong
|
|
|
DawgTalkers.net
Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Abe Abraham..............The Man
In The Brown Suit