Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

I would agree with all of that....but what would you prefer at this point? Staying in the 3-4 or switching to the 4-3?

I want a defense that can get to third down, can stop them on third down, and can create turnovers/force field goals in the red zone. I don't care if it's a 3-4 or a 4-3. Both can do it.

we don't need to switch schemes again to get there.... we just have to actually pick one, stick with it, and finish giving it the talent it needs.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

Quote:

I would agree with all of that....but what would you prefer at this point? Staying in the 3-4 or switching to the 4-3?

I want a defense that can get to third down, can stop them on third down, and can create turnovers/force field goals in the red zone. I don't care if it's a 3-4 or a 4-3. Both can do it.

To add to that, when you have great defensive players, they can pretty much play in any scheme. When you have one trick ponies, you will get guys that don't fit.

Regardless of what we're running, Ray Horton or whoever it is in 2014, needs to figure out how to consistently get to the QB because we were bad at it in the second half of the year.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quite possible, but I prefer the popular view that either they trade down, or pick OT Matthews.

I don't think this makes any football (or cap) sense. The only positions they have locked in for sure on the OL next year are their OTs: LT Jake Long, who they just signed last year for big money, and RT Joe Barksdale who is still under contract for cheap. Then they draft another OT at #2 overall? After the debacle they saw the Chiefs and Jags go through last year drafting LTs they were playing at RT (before Monroe trade) at 1 and 2? I think this is the "popular" view because it makes mock drafts easier and more exciting. I think they have to take a QB and move Bradford if they believe in 1 of their top 2 QBs in the draft.

Quote:

Would you give up our second 1st round pick for Bradford? Interesting...

I'm not the biggest Bradford fan, but if Manziel, Bridgewater (who I have accuracy concerns about), and Carr (who I'm still undecided on) are gone at 4 (which seems likely to me with Houston, St. Louis, and Jacksonville all needing QBs if Bradford is on the block) then yeah I'd probably trade for Bradford with that pick. He'd be better than anything else we could get at QB at that point IMO, and we wouldn't be on the hook for all that bonus money the Rams are. We'd have him for two years at $14 and $13 million, which should be enough to tell if he should be kept at QB and well within our budget for a starting QB. He is currently 26, and while he has had injury problems in the past, he could still have another 10 years in the league.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Jake Long tore his ACL(?). And Oline is the weakest part of their team.

The Rams are also saying that Bradford is their guy. How much you believe coachspeak is another question altogether.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Jake Long tore his ACL(?).

Ah, so he did! I missed that!

Hate to see a guy get hurt, but I love to see Jeff Fisher twist in the wind!

*edit* though I will say, it sure looks like it will be easier to swing a starting LT in this draft at pick 13 (with Matthews, Lewan, Kouandjio, and Erving in the draft... Ogbuehi stinks) than QB. If I'm the Rams, I try to pry a 1st from BUF, TEN, NY, AZ, or CLE (via IND) for Bradford, take Manziel or whichever QB they like best that's left, use their next pick on a LT, then take whoever is the best player left with their third (!) first round pick.

Last edited by clevesteve; 01/02/14 03:40 PM.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
They need to look at Jake Mathews as I don't know how much more JT can take in Cleveland !

Legend
Legend
I could see a Joe Thomas / Sam Bradford trade happen. Maybe with some smaller pieces on one side or another.

Not saying I want it to happen, just saying I could see it.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Guys like JT and DQ have to be mentally done for !

Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
we could trade Thomas for Bradford....then draft Matthews to take Thomas spot

#brownsgoodkarma
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Well then, can I expect an apology for my lack of football "sense"...

Last edited by bbrowns32; 01/02/14 06:11 PM.

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
A
Legend
Legend
A
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I'm sorry you have no football sense.

That better?

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

I could see a Joe Thomas / Sam Bradford trade happen. Maybe with some smaller pieces on one side or another.

JT's contract is fully guaranteed through 2015, so we'd take a cap hit for all of his remaining guaranteed salary, prorated signing bonus, and other LTBE bonuses. That's a total of about $26 million cap hit. Then you'd have to pay Bradford his $14 million base salary on top of that. So in essence, Bradford would cost the team $40 million in salary cap space for 2014.

Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
ouch i didnt know the contract situation. noone will trade for a contract like that. still think we should draft Matthews at number4 and put him at RT. and draft Boyd or McCarron later in the 1st.

#brownsgoodkarma
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

JT's contract is fully guaranteed through 2015, so we'd take a cap hit for all of his remaining guaranteed salary, prorated signing bonus, and other LTBE bonuses. That's a total of about $26 million cap hit. Then you'd have to pay Bradford his $14 million base salary on top of that. So in essence, Bradford would cost the team $40 million in salary cap space for 2014.

I think that's if we cut him, not if we trade him. St. Louis is on the hook for any guaranteed salary/roster bonus/etc.

Dead money works for guaranteed money that has been paid and is prorated on current or future years or guaranteed money that hasn't been capitalized yet if the contract is terminated.

Spotrac has Thomas' dead money at $2.4 million (from signing bonus that has already been paid but not reflected on the cap.)

The same dollar does not get reflected on more than one team's cap.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
You know we're in a bad state when we're even talking about trading the best LT in the past 10 years for a 1st pick bust.

Legend
Legend
Amen to that.

Again, to be clear I WAS NOT CHAMPIONING TRADING THOMAS AWAY. I was just saying I could see it happeneing for a QB like Bradford.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
You're right...I stand corrected. In my head I was equating it to the situation with Peyton Manning and the Colts, but it wasn't the same scenario.

So I say trade him (not for Bradford) and get as much as you can for him.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Any team that would trade Joe Thomas would be fools. He's been the best for years and he's still the best.

#gmstrong
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Any team that would trade Joe Thomas would be fools. He's been the best for years and he's still the best.

He is the best left tackle in the NFL. Unfortunately, that means next to nothing as far as a team's success goes these days.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Any team that would trade Joe Thomas would be fools.

Which may be exactly why some fans "could see that happening".

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

That better?

I'll overlook the cheap shot,arch, as it wasn't addressed to you...

A
Legend
Legend
A
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

That better?

Cool. If you can't take a light hearted jab.......I guess that's your problem, not mine. I'll be sure to never reply to you again unless you reply to me.

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
J/C

hahaha what the hell? Why would we possibly want Bradford?

H
1st String
1st String
H
Quote:

ouch i didnt know the contract situation. noone will trade for a contract like that. still think we should draft Matthews at number4 and put him at RT. and draft Boyd or McCarron later in the 1st.

What? What? A rg at 4. I skim through a lot of nonsense on this board, and that is a lot. But that and Boyd?

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

That better?

Nice job Arch,very funny.
BB,you walked right into that one,try taking it like a man.

Indecision may,or maynot,be my problem
Legend
Legend
I wasn't trying to say you have no football sense, I apologize that it came across that way. I just don't think with the way this draft is set up that that is the best use of their resources, even with longs injury. They really just need a stopgap left tackle until he comes back from injury, they've already got a longterm solution with a bunch of resources tied up at that spot. JMO I guess.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

That better?

Nice job Arch,very funny.
BB,you walked right into that one,try taking it like a man.

Anybody else want to pile on?

Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Quote:

What? What? A rg at 4. I skim through a lot of nonsense on this board, and that is a lot. But that and Boyd?

You do if you need one! we should have gotten Warmack last year instead of Mingo. and DeCastro the year before. but hey your right devalue the position because its not a sexy pic. and matthews plays T not G. put him on the RT for a couple years, when JT starts to slow down swap sides and continue to have solid Ts.

and as far as Tahj Boyd, i think the kid reminds me of McNabb, and we all know Banner how feels about McNabb.

#brownsgoodkarma
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Anybody else want to pile on?

You could use a breath mint, too.

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they just like to pee a lot."
Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum changing to the 4-3...maybe not a bad thing.

Link Copied to Clipboard