Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I gotta a feeling that Jimmy learned more than he wanted to on Chuds exit interview. Someone else brought up the fact that Jimmy was not really enamored with TL. I think TL will be the next one out and Farmer takes over. I really think TL screwed Chud over on the FA's and trying to get him to cut Little and Bess. I think Haslam knows what a snake in the grass TL is and he won't last long.

Dawginit since Jan. 24, 2000 Member #180
You can't fix yesterday but you can learn for tomorrow
#GMSTRONG

I want to do it as a Cleveland Brown because that's who I am.”
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Hell, I am happy to be wrong. I'll be wrong all day long for an outcome like this, one that I feel is best for the Cleveland Browns.

I don't care why he's not coming here ... though I suspect it had more to do with a quiet deal on the Pats side than anything that happened here. I am just glad that he'll be working somewhere other than Berea.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Who is "TL"?

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Tony Lombardi, don't you know him?

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
V
Legend
Legend
V
You might think that and you might be right, but you do realize that I said this yesterday........before the news of McDaniels removing his name from consideration came out.........right?

Quote:

Unlike most, I was pretty high on McDaniels. I really do think he is a bright guy. I think he is innovative. However, I am hoping that Lombardi is pushed into a role that is in the background and McDaniels is Lombardi's guy.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
"Tom Lombardi"

#GMSTRONG

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Who's Tony?

#GMSTRONG

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Now..........It's what? LOL..........just another excuse to cry?

nope...more like celebrate

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
With Browns owner Jimmy Haslam, CEO Joe Banner and Lombardi calling the shots, the team's next coach won't have the opportunity to mold his own roster. Rob Chudzinski -- fired after one season -- embraced that challenge, but this tangled and shrouded front-office structure is ripe to scare off big-name candidates.

If the Browns were hoping to make a splash with this hire, it's anyone's guess what they're thinking at this stage. After losing out on Chip Kelly a season ago -- and having to sell their second choice to a badgered fan base -- the spin job this time is bound to be fierce.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000...-browns-vacancy

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I think Lombardi and Chud didn't get along. I think there was a rift there. I now think that Lombardi is going to be moved to the back burner. I don't think they will fire him because he did a lot of work on the QBs and it would be another PR disaster. I do think it is a good thing that he lost power.

...and this, right here, is why I'm still skeptical abut how these guys will handle future issues like these. In any organization the size of 76 Groza, there will be people who can't get on the same page or just flat-out dislike each other. Winning organizations handle these issues.

See... putting Lombardi in a back office should have been considered before making a drastic move like firing a coach. If there is trouble between two of your kids, the first step is to separate them, then work out some setup in which both can function. We'll never know whether this was tried or not, but it's apparent that too much was wrong by season's end.

Chud also probably didn't do himself any favors by wanting Norv's boy moved to a different coaching spot. Family can have a way of making smart people dumb. I mean, if we're going to judge Chud based upon the team's improvement, wouldn't he be within his rights to judge Scott Turner's performance re: the WR's?

As you've mentioned, there is most probably a lot we'll never know about... things that led to this "surprising" decision... but daaaang- if that's true, how much residual stank is still hanging around that building even now?

This team has a LOT of cleaning-up to do... and the NFL doesn't give them time off for re-tooling purposes..

For me, it's not just about hiring a new HC or picking a franchise QB... it's everything else that goes with running a successful team. I'm beginning to think that fixing the Browns is a bigger, deeper challenge than what's apparent on the surface.

"too many notes, not enough music-"

#GMStong
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
I wasn't concerned too much.

I like it because it means that the HC candidate that I like has moved up in the possibilities.

Go to Vandy for the coach, Jimmy! Tennessee connections and all.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I would hope that Haslam believes in the decision of firing Chud and in the big picture, it was the best thing. If not, we have even bigger problems than many thought we did.

No doubt. If it took him less than 11 months to realize that hiring him was a mistake.. then less than 2 weeks to realize that firing him was a mistake... what the heck is he thinking?

yebat' Putin
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

JC ...

A few things I think:

1. The job wasn't offered to McDaniels. This is as much him saving face as the organization.

2. I am starting to respect the hell out of Haslam although he has a serious problem on his hands. I think we are really dealing with two stooges here. The non-offer to McDaniels means he is firmly in the drivers seat on this and that Banner and Lombardi have lost some of their voices. This is so good in so many ways. Unfortunately, I don't think he feels he can fire them at this point as the perception and egg on his face will only intensify after the firing of Chud.

3. I'm happy McDaniels did not get the job. I think it would have been a huge epic failure.

4. I think Gase is the top target, and I also think that will be a huge epic failure. But I think that's who Haslam has his eyes set on.

5. I think if Haslam has to minimize the roles of Banner and Lombardi to get his guy, I think he'll end up doing that. I can't wait until both are out of the organization.

6. Only in Believeland can we have so much uncertainty and unsettled business. Ward and Mack are afterthoughts at this point.

I agree. Haslam is driving this. I think he was the one who decided Chud wasn't his guy. You could see him in the box, clearly unhappy. I think Haslam is going to be the guy making the hire.

My feeling on todays announcement was because Lombardi gave his friend the heads up the owner wasn't overly impressed and will probably go in another direction...and I have no problem with Lombardi doing this. It's a decent courtesy to allow people to save face.

My feeling is Franklin is the guy. Jimmy loves college football and he knows Vandy has been a SEC rag forever before this guy showed up. He has won 9 games a year the last 2 years, at one of the few schools left (anywhere) that still puts student before athelete. Vandy is a elite level school in every way, and they don't allow 60 jocks who can't talk or spell...for you Big 10'ers, kind of like Northwestern is behind the 8 ball because they still require the football team members to pass a few tests to get in the school.....you still have to have it between the ears, even if not quite to Ivy League level.......you better hit 30 on your ACT....for jocks.....32-34 for others....not a big break.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
Legend
V
I wasn't clear. I think there were disagreements between Lombardi and Chud, but I think the reason Chud was fired was Jimmy was irate w/the lackluster performance of the team down the stretch.

Clem, do you remember you and I talking about the second Bengal game? Do you remember how we spoke of how we didn't handle success and then utterly failed at handling adversity? Do you remember how we said that it was going to be a big challenge for the coaching staff to get their team prepared for Pittsburgh and how that game would tell us a lot about our team?

What happened, Clem? We laid an egg. One of our poorest performances of the year.

We later rebounded and played a very good game against New England, only to lose in the final moments. How did we respond to that loss?

What did the energy level look like to you in the following games? Did that look like a great coaching job to you? Did you see a team that was motivated?

You are barking up the wrong tree, bro.

V
Legend
Legend
V
How long did it take you to find that one? LOL................what a joke.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Many presumed McDaniels to be the front-runner, based on his relationship with Browns General Manager Mike Lombardi. And this would sadly end the hopes of a McDaniels-Tebow reunion in Cleveland, which would have been so perfect on so many levels.

That almost made me taste my Taco for the second time tonight...LOL

I have been saying that I didn't understand all the people that were saying McD was the front runner. And the assumption that Tebow would come along in the package

That would absolutely be the kiss of death to this Front Office. The fans would rebel in mass..

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I do suspect that there is an unwritten agreement for McDaniels to take over when Belichick steps down. That would create a giant mess when it comes to the Roooney rule though.

If I am remembering correctly, a big if btw, there is a clause that states you can bypass the Rooney rule if promoting within the organization.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Quote:

JC ...

A few things I think:

1. The job wasn't offered to McDaniels. This is as much him saving face as the organization.

2. I am starting to respect the hell out of Haslam although he has a serious problem on his hands. I think we are really dealing with two stooges here. The non-offer to McDaniels means he is firmly in the drivers seat on this and that Banner and Lombardi have lost some of their voices. This is so good in so many ways. Unfortunately, I don't think he feels he can fire them at this point as the perception and egg on his face will only intensify after the firing of Chud.

3. I'm happy McDaniels did not get the job. I think it would have been a huge epic failure.

4. I think Gase is the top target, and I also think that will be a huge epic failure. But I think that's who Haslam has his eyes set on.

5. I think if Haslam has to minimize the roles of Banner and Lombardi to get his guy, I think he'll end up doing that. I can't wait until both are out of the organization.

6. Only in Believeland can we have so much uncertainty and unsettled business. Ward and Mack are afterthoughts at this point.

I agree. Haslam is driving this. I think he was the one who decided Chud wasn't his guy. You could see him in the box, clearly unhappy. I think Haslam is going to be the guy making the hire.

My feeling on todays announcement was because Lombardi gave his friend the heads up the owner wasn't overly impressed and will probably go in another direction...and I have no problem with Lombardi doing this. It's a decent courtesy to allow people to save face.

My feeling is Franklin is the guy. Jimmy loves college football and he knows Vandy has been a SEC rag forever before this guy showed up. He has won 9 games a year the last 2 years, at one of the few schools left (anywhere) that still puts student before athelete. Vandy is a elite level school in every way, and they don't allow 60 jocks who can't talk or spell...for you Big 10'ers, kind of like Northwestern is behind the 8 ball because they still require the football team members to pass a few tests to get in the school.....you still have to have it between the ears, even if not quite to Ivy League level.......you better hit 30 on your ACT....for jocks.....32-34 for others....not a big break.

Some good observations by Rishuz.

Like you 'peen, I think (or maybe it's hope) that Franklin is Haslam's real target. Even take a look at the bowl game they were in. They had a 24-0 lead, then allowed Houston to have a huge 3rd Quarter and tie it up 24-24. In the 4th, they poured it on, shutting Houston down and closing out the deal, winning 41-24. Something that we didn't see at all after the Bye week for the Browns.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Quote:

That's good, but who else is on the Paul Brown tree?

http://www.sports-central.org/images/brown_tree_2008.jpg

http://www.sports-central.org/images/gillman_tree_2008.jpg

5 years since an update, but it's a good guide. Those two no longer have trees, they have "Forests". Good rule of thumb, if it's a defensive coach it's Paul Brown, if it's an offensive coach it's Sid Gillman.

Legend
Legend
Guess i'm a little surprised but am happy that it looks like we'll be looking more in earnest for a coach instead of just hiring a friend.... hope we get some more info on the coaching search. I do agree with what someone else posted in that I wouldn't be surprised if McDaniels is in line to eventually take over the Pats.

<><

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I actually believe Haslem has leadership qualities. He may make some bad decisions, but I don't believe he is stupid or intimidated. He has made billions.

Making billions on selling fuel... and building a winning football team... are... well.. just a little...no...... BIG.... difference....

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
McDaniels was smarter than I thought. Why would he want to coach in the factory of sadness? We will end up with a little known Coordinator, as usual. And odds are it will be a disaster. As usual.

Meet the new boss....same as the old boss

As long as the three stooges run the show in Berea, we are doomed. As usual.

V
Legend
Legend
V
So is selling cheese and building a winning football team. What is your point?

V
Legend
Legend
V
Are you really positive that he it was McDaniel's choice?

Seriously?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

JC..

Does that mean they will have to get a guy "to fill the position" until they decide who they want to chase next year?

Isn't that what they just did with Chud? Fire the coach after one year twice in a row and they probably won't get anyone to even interview next year....

Why the hell aren't they looking at proven coaches? Lombardi knows Brian Billick. The guy knows the division and how to win here. And he NEEDS to show he can win because he's not getting interviews. That's motivation!

V
Legend
Legend
V
Wanna put a wager on this one, Spirit?

D
Legend
Legend
D
Report: McDaniels withdrew because he wasn't the frontrunner:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...he-frontrunner/

Quote:

After reports emerged that Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels withdrew his name from consideration for the Browns head-coaching job, we surmised via Twitter that it would be a great way to save face if he knew he wasn’t getting the job.

We apparently surmised correctly. For a change.

Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports that McDaniels withdrew his name after the Browns told McDaniels has wasn’t the frontrunner.

Ever since the Browns fired coach Rob Chudzinski following only one year on the job, some league insiders theorized that the Browns wouldn’t have dumped Chud after a single season without knowing who they wanted — and without knowing that they could get him. Conventional wisdom pointed to McDaniels being the guy who had been lined up on a wink-nod-fart basis.

If so, it could be that McDaniels was simply the safety net, with the Browns comfortable hiring him but using the ongoing search as a way to find someone even better.

If Cabot’s report is accurate, it’s possible that McDaniels previously had been led to believe by someone with the Browns that McDaniels was “the guy,” that he got nervous as more and more names emerged as potential candidates, and that he decided to seek assurances. When the assurances didn’t come, McDaniels opted (as many in his position would have) to opt out.

And so the Browns will continue their search. If they ultimately don’t find someone better than McDaniels, nothing stops them from trying to hire him.

After all, the Eagles hired Chip Kelly last year after he supposedly withdrew his name from consideration.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Gee................and once again the masses are wrong. Imagine that.

Brains over hatred.

Always a good idea.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Lombardi's choice was McDaniels and everyone knew it. I agree with Peen on Haslim's choice is likely Franklin and well his is the only opinion that matters here.

I think Lombardi afraid to come out during press conferences and some other things will likely be the end of his time here. When i watched that presser the 3 stooges comment didnt rattle Haslim at all but now when they were asking about Lombardi not there Haslim looked like he found a turd in his soup.

Franklin is a very cerebral coach. I think his gameplans are as good as anyone in college. Not sure how he will translate to the NFL but the guy gets the most out of his talent.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Franklin is a good choice. I hope you are right about Haslam wanting him.

What do you think about Gus?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think he is a terrific college coach but he is not an NFL head coach at least not at this point. I dont think he could handle the media scrutiny while trying to build a team. I like the guy but some guys arent meant for the NFL and he is one.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

So is selling cheese and building a winning football team. What is your point?

If your referring to the Packers...There's a big difference...Being a community owned organization compared to a privately owned ....

I don't want to get into a debate on a 7 member executive board vs a one owner say

My point is that he made his billions servicing people that use the highway and are looking for fuel and food... And once again..that was coming into an established family business...

Now he has bought an organization that was...pretty much in shambles...He doesn't have people pulling into pump fuel into their tanks..And that product was delivered to him and all he had to do was re sell that product by appeasing the travelers...

Now he has to put together a product that produces wins..He himself has to make that product...no one is bringing it to him....now he has to make this product appealing and make it high quality....if he does..he will fill the stadium and produce revenue....if not.....he could find himself in a boat with a rather large hole in the hull...

So I guess my point is... a man can make money off of gas....but can he make money off of beans..... ( I know.that was bad ) lol

Legend
Legend
I believe he was referring to Robert Kraft.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
M
Legend
Legend
M
Vers, not for nothing, but it was Mary Kay last year that reported it was Banner and Haslem that walked away from Chip Kelly. We now know that appears to not be the case.

I didn't want McDaniels, so either way I am am satisfied. Just didn't have any confidence in him. I've mentioned earlier in the HC thread that James Franklin was my sleeper candidate. But I'll be honest, I am not at home saturdays studying the development of a head coach at Vanderbilt, so I am basing my opinion on reports, records and again potential. Guys has done well for himself.

At the end of the day, the FO needs to get this decision right regardless or like I said before, it may send the franchise into an unrecoverable position, especially if the QB situation isn't resolved as well.

V
Legend
Legend
V
LOL.......I knew that wouldn't be clear. I wanted to add salad dressings to go along w/the cheese, but it was grammatically incorrect and I didn't feel like formulating a new sentence.

I did mean Robert Craft, the owner of the Patriots.

Now............I want to get back to this:

Quote:

If Cabot’s report is accurate, it’s possible that McDaniels previously had been led to believe by someone with the Browns that McDaniels was “the guy,” that he got nervous as more and more names emerged as potential candidates, and that he decided to seek assurances. When the assurances didn’t come, McDaniels opted (as many in his position would have) to opt out.

I believe this ties in nicely w/my claim that Haslam is going to take power away from Lombardi. He won't fire him. Lombardi did too much work on Manziel and it would be a public relations nightmare, but I think he will have a reduced role.

I believe that Farmer will be given more power or we will bring in a new personnel guy.

Do you guys still wanna role w/the theory of McDaniels wanting to take BB's job and thinking my theory holds no water, or do you want to change your tune?

Btw.............anyone have a link as to when BB is going to retire? Is it 1 year? 2 years? 3 years? 5 years? 10 years? Please share this report w/us. Thanks.

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Praise Jesus and Hallelujah!

Holy Hell I was certain that bum was gonna be our head coach.

It's one thing for fans to like Tebow, but if you're the head coach and personnel man of an NFL team, and your eye is so bad that you believed that Tebow was the future of the league, you are not fit to lead an organization.

*PHEW*

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Ya know... i feel really stupid at times ...

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I tend to believe the report that the Browns walked away when Kelly was waffling a bit on whether to stay in college, take the Browns job or take the Eagles job. If I am gonna hire a coach and pay him millions, I want him all in or I would walk away and I think that is what Haslim did.

I cant stand any of those guys but they should be given the benefit of the doubt on this one.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

LOL.......I knew that wouldn't be clear.

Omg ...Jfanet got it but I didn't... LOL!..... Sorry man....

Quote:

Btw.............anyone have a link as to when BB is going to retire? Is it 1 year? 2 years? 3 years? 5 years? 10 years? Please share this report w/us. Thanks.

I don't have a link..but I heard when he was Belly Up

1st String
1st String
Quote:

Quote:

Ya know... i feel really stupid at times ...

Well you don't need to. As far as I know Robert Kraft has nothing to do with Kraft Foods, nor has he ever beyond happening to share a name.

He made his money in manufacturing and paper as I recall.

[Linked Image from i26.tinypic.com]
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Josh McDaniels. Why?

Link Copied to Clipboard