Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Criticizing the free agent signings might be a little harsh. The cap room was there and they were almost universally lauded.

At the end of the day, great players win in the NBA and the Cavs have whiffed on 3 straight early lottery picks. Superstar free agents aren't going to come to the Cavs. It's not like the NFL where you can just pay a little more and still get people to sign.

I don't really see any great solution at this point. It's hard to get on board for more tanking. Yet even if everything was just peachy with the Cavs, the team doesn't have anywhere near a championship core in my opinion.

S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

Quote:

They need to make the playoffs so they can get a taste of what real basketball is.

The pace of a playoff game is a lot different than a regular season game. You don't take possessions of and your transition game and transition defense are huge.

This group needs to understand all of that. You can only tank so long before that comes back around to bite you, and by that, I mean guys taking off because they want to win.

I don't care what anyone thinks of Mike Brown, these players aren't listening to their coach, and that's no good.

I don't really see how playing 5 games in the post-season one year is going to get a core of players over the hump. Obviously there comes a time when enough is enough and a team has to start to make a push, I just question the short-sightedness of it all when best case scenario was that the Cavs would still be far away from a title.

If the young core of players made a playoff push, great! It's the overpaying and banking on marginal players/risks like Jarrett Jack, Bynum, and then drafting a guy like Bennett with the idea of.... wait, I have no idea what the heck they were thinking there.

So where do the Cavs go from here? At one point I was afraid they would be stuck on the mediocrity treadmill. That seems like a fantasy at this point.

Nobody said playoffs is getting them over the hump, and as far as ripping the signings of Jack, Bynum, and the drafting of Bennett... that's a different conversation and argument.

For players like Irving, Thompson, Waiters, etc... A playoff series whether that be a 4 game sweep or a 7 game thriller, could benefit them going forward. They may have a better mindset going into the following year knowing what it takes to get better.

I've seen many playoff series where the team that is a huge underdog learns to play at the pace the better team is going at. They almost never win, but it could help in development. Too many people think you just suck for 2 or 3 years, acquire high picks, and you turn into the Thunder. There has to be a learning curve. You don't get that in mid-January.

I think at this point, a playoff berth would be healthy. I don't think it matters, because this group has yet to show us they're even ready for Eastern Conference playoff basketball.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Too many people think you just suck for 2 or 3 years, acquire high picks, and you turn into the Thunder.

I recall that being a popular sentiment around this board in the 2010-11 season. Folks thought we'd be winning a playoff series in 2012-13.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Too many people think you just suck for 2 or 3 years, acquire high picks, and you turn into the Thunder.

I recall that being a popular sentiment around this board in the 2010-11 season. Folks thought we'd be winning a playoff series in 2012-13.

It helps when you get the 2nd best player in the league at #2. Sorry Portland.

And they still lucked out getting Ibaka at like 24.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
It helps when you're GM isn't an idiot with an ego the size of Kobe Bryant's. Going against conventional thinking doesn't always mean it's the right decision.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

They need to make the playoffs so they can get a taste of what real basketball is.

The pace of a playoff game is a lot different than a regular season game. You don't take possessions of and your transition game and transition defense are huge.

This group needs to understand all of that. You can only tank so long before that comes back around to bite you, and by that, I mean guys taking off because they want to win.

I don't care what anyone thinks of Mike Brown, these players aren't listening to their coach, and that's no good.

I don't really see how playing 5 games in the post-season one year is going to get a core of players over the hump. Obviously there comes a time when enough is enough and a team has to start to make a push, I just question the short-sightedness of it all when best case scenario was that the Cavs would still be far away from a title.

If the young core of players made a playoff push, great! It's the overpaying and banking on marginal players/risks like Jarrett Jack, Bynum, and then drafting a guy like Bennett with the idea of.... wait, I have no idea what the heck they were thinking there.

So where do the Cavs go from here? At one point I was afraid they would be stuck on the mediocrity treadmill. That seems like a fantasy at this point.

Nobody said playoffs is getting them over the hump, and as far as ripping the signings of Jack, Bynum, and the drafting of Bennett... that's a different conversation and argument.

For players like Irving, Thompson, Waiters, etc... A playoff series whether that be a 4 game sweep or a 7 game thriller, could benefit them going forward. They may have a better mindset going into the following year knowing what it takes to get better.

I've seen many playoff series where the team that is a huge underdog learns to play at the pace the better team is going at. They almost never win, but it could help in development. Too many people think you just suck for 2 or 3 years, acquire high picks, and you turn into the Thunder. There has to be a learning curve. You don't get that in mid-January.

I think at this point, a playoff berth would be healthy. I don't think it matters, because this group has yet to show us they're even ready for Eastern Conference playoff basketball.

I think the learning curve for young teams has more to do with players just generally becoming older/better/acquiring more experience. Young teams don't usually win in the NBA (although that doesn't come close to fully excusing the Cavs mess, either.)

I just don't see how being a token playoff team because of the horridness of the Eastern conference and then getting run off the court in 4-5 games really helps a tremendous amount. Does it help a little? Perhaps. That is definitely reasonable. Maybe it helped the Thunder but let's be honest, they are a great team largely because of Kevin Durant.

P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
One could argue a one-off playoff appearance at least instills some hope.

If I'm a Cavalier, I am GONE the day my contract ends.

PDR #839599 02/02/14 06:19 PM
S
Legend
Legend
S
I just worry about where this franchise goes if they don't make the playoffs (or even if they do and they swing and miss on FA and the draft... Then what?

I'd almost just like to see it blown up immediately if this isn't going to work out. Everyone gone. Might as well deal Irving if he doesn't want to be there. Fire Grant, fire Brown and start over. Hire the right coach and let him be there a long time. Let incoming players know that they won't necessarily outlive the coach (just like the Browns). Hope for a much tougher team.

A playoff run may not even save this team anyway, especially if Irving wants out and you get nothing in FA.

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Not too many players have turned down the max contract after their rookie deal. Thats why many think irving will still be here another few years.

S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

Not too many players have turned down the max contract after their rookie deal. Thats why many think irving will still be here another few years.

I said it before, would not be surprised to see him extend and then try and get out a la Carmelo Anthony.

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
That's a possibility if we fail on the next coach, and gm. I think Brown is the biggest problem. In any type of management, if your help doesn't respect you, or buy into what you're selling, you need replaced. The players share some blame for being problematic, but the coach shares the most. Just look at what Pete Carrol has done in Seattle. We have the exact opposite in Cleveland.

P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

I just worry about where this franchise goes if they don't make the playoffs (or even if they do and they swing and miss on FA and the draft... Then what?

I'd almost just like to see it blown up immediately if this isn't going to work out. Everyone gone. Might as well deal Irving if he doesn't want to be there. Fire Grant, fire Brown and start over. Hire the right coach and let him be there a long time. Let incoming players know that they won't necessarily outlive the coach (just like the Browns). Hope for a much tougher team.

A playoff run may not even save this team anyway, especially if Irving wants out and you get nothing in FA.

Don't get me wrong...you tank again.

Just making an argument.

PDR #839604 02/03/14 12:58 PM
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
The Cavs are closer to a bottom 3 NBA record than they are to the 8th seed in the East. I hope they tank (just in case that wasn't already clear )

Legend
Legend
If we are in the "blow it up" mindset. Who here still has value? And what can we get that's worth it? And do we want Grant being the guy to make those moves. Or wait till the offseason?

If this was 2k I'd just trade everyone for a lottery pick.

Then draft a new starting 5. That'd be fun.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Legend
Legend
Quote:

If this was 2k5 ... you'd probably get a 2nd round pick for everyone at their current value.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

If this was 2k5 ... you'd probably get a 2nd round pick for everyone at their current value.

Screw it, in 2k14 I can trade Waiters for Klay Thompson, and video game Bynum is healthy and actually tries! #4 seed!

Legend
Legend
In 2k4, you can actually make the Playoffs with this roster.

L
Legend
Legend
L
I'd say the wheels are officially off. Getting blown out by 20+ not even half time against the freaking lakers. They aren't listening to anyone, they don't trust brown, and I can't blame them one bit. Time to make a move Gilbert.. or you might have 10 people at games next month

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
C
Legend
Legend
C
You are not impressed with a starting five of Jordan Farmar, Steve Blake, Ryan Kelly, Bob Sacre, and Wesley Johnson? You must've missed when Swaggy P, Chris Kaman, and Kendall Marshall came in the game.

L
Legend
Legend
L
lol, thanks for driving my point home...we have a team of high draft picks getting blown out by bubble players

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Get rid of everyone and everything except future draft picks.

Legend
Legend
The NBA is supposed to be the league where talent wins out.. That's why everyone is making mega teams..

How can a team with multiple talented players be THIS BAD??

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
that is a glorified college all star team. they're playing with 7 players no less. I know Gilbert don't want to pay Brown all that money, but he was the one that gave him a 5 yr deal. At any rate they need to play Bennett heavy minutes the rest of the year. Have to see if he has any game.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
This might be the most embarrassing sporting event of the year.

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Irving is turning into a real bum. -25 differential against that lineup is pathetic. not sure what they will do with him, but the 2nd unit showed a lot more grit than he displayed tonight.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
That kind of reminded me of little league baseball when we were shorthanded from time to time, struggling to get a 9th player to play (or even 8th to make it a legal game until hopefully a 9th showed up.)

That was actually pretty interesting. I always wondered how that situation was handled if a team with 5 players had a player foul out. For those that weren't watching, the player who committed the foul can stay in the game but is also charged with a technical foul, and every foul committed by that player thereafter is also a personal foul and a technical foul. Obviously those technicals don't lead to the player being ejected.

N
Legend
Legend
N
uncle.

once Asik proves he is healthy and in-shape, I say who cares about July cap-space and get him on this team. I mean, I want someone who will actually show like they care to play some kind of defense. this is pathetic. no effort, no heart.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
We need to just get rid of these guys, but they've shown they don't care..

Get some fresh talent in here, and hire a young coach, I love Boston's hire of Stevens..

Unless you can get a guy like Karl, a known commodity, that can get stuff out of people, I want a young guy who's going to grow with a team..

Why exactly DID we rehire Brown? Has that EVER happened in sports before? Hiring a coach you fired a couple years earlier? Crazy...

V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

We need to just get rid of these guys, but they've shown they don't care..

Get some fresh talent in here, and hire a young coach, I love Boston's hire of Stevens..

Unless you can get a guy like Karl, a known commodity, that can get stuff out of people, I want a young guy who's going to grow with a team..

Why exactly DID we rehire Brown? Has that EVER happened in sports before? Hiring a coach you fired a couple years earlier? Crazy...

Quoted for accuracy. I especially agree w/the how smart Boston was to hire Stevens. That guy is great.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Well ..... the Yankees hired and fired Billy Martin how many times .........?

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
L
Legend
Legend
L
I'd trade as many as we can to aquire picks, maybe take some flyers on young guys buried on benches and just clean house. Get a new staff and FO in here and hopefully rebuild this right...Grant has set this franchise back 7+ years...and the rehiring of brown is on his head..he talked Dan into it. Dan should have went with his instinct. I can't think of a worse coach than mike brown and his scrub staff.. I mean look at what jason kidd is doing..he was getting drilled in the beginning. but they were the best team in the nba in january. Players have to believe in the coach. Brown doesn't exude that knows wtf he's doing..he don't have a lebron..He had howard, gasol, nash, and kobe on the same team and didn't last. That should have spoke volumes. I know it will never happen but I'd give Jackson a blank check and free reign to bring in his own personnel guy. We need an aggressive move to save this franchise from itself and let the fans know that this is simply unacceptable.

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Tristan and Dion would be gone by years end. I probably would want some young guys with experience, that are looking for an opportunity to play, ala Eric Bledsoe. I just don't think just acquiring picks is the best way to go. We tried that for the past 3 years, and didn't get us anywhere. Just look at the suns. They were suppose to be tanking it this year, they only had Bledsoe, and Dragic that were known assets. They hire the right coach, and now are in the middle of the stacked west. With 4 1st rd picks to boot, they could make some trades to get even better.. I just prefer a mixture of veterans and youth. I would definitely use all of the cap space to help the team win now. That could allow the potential younger players time to develop. As you could see with Bennett, these guys need some time.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Drafting to build a team is not the problem. It's just Grant is the worst drafting GM ever.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Drafting to build a team is not the problem. It's just Grant is the worst drafting GM ever.

Agreed ... the funny thing is, like PDR mentioned, he's really not bad at making trades. He got an un…totected lottery pick for Mo Williams, a first rounder for Ramon Sessions and Leol Deng for the corpse of Andrew Bynum. It's just that he follows that up with such putrid drafts.

6 First round picks in 3 years and we have: Kyrie, Tristan, Dion, Tyler Zeller, Anthony Bennett and Sergey Karasev to show for it. Hmm ... seems like he got worse with every pick.

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

6 First round picks in 3 years and we have: Kyrie, Tristan, Dion, Tyler Zeller, Anthony Bennett and Sergey Karasev to show for it. Hmm ... seems like he got worse with every pick

first, I disagree with the hyperbolic stance from Candy. Grant still would have a ways to go to become the worst. high competition there.

but, you bring up a huge point that I hadn't considered before. each player on that list is definitely worse than the one before (at least to this point in their career). interesting and somewhat funny.

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

first, I disagree with the hyperbolic stance from Candy. Grant still would have a ways to go to become the worst. high competition there.

KAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHN!

Legend
Legend
Started an association on 2k as Cle last night.

Philly gave me their '15 1st for Jack.

Ended up #4 in the lottery. Won it. Picked Wiggins.

Made the playoffs. Phillys pick got me the #1 in 15.

This isn't so hard.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
GM ThatGuy for the Cavs!

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

The Cleveland Cavaliers have fired general manager Chris Grant, league sources tell Yahoo Sports.

Link

This is good news. Now he can't trade assets in order to save his job. Now they just need to keep Brown so they don't make the playoffs.

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Quote:

The Cleveland Cavaliers have fired general manager Chris Grant, league sources tell Yahoo Sports.

Link

This is good news. Now he can't trade assets in order to save his job. Now they just need to keep Brown so they don't make the playoffs.

whew. no Jiri Welsch panic trade.

#gmstrong
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Cavs and NBA Thread

Link Copied to Clipboard