Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
W
2nd String
2nd String
W
Quote:

I could see giving up a third rounder if they think he might be a candidate

IMO, it would be a bad deal. We might get a all-pro guard for many years in the 3rd compared to a candidate for back-up. JMHO Go Brownies!

Who Let Da Dawgs Out? Woof, Woof, Woof!!!!!
Damanshot #847582 02/04/14 01:55 PM
Legend
Legend
i'll have some questions about him once reggie wayne comes back next season.

if they go into the playoffs again with Wayne and that other WR that did great, and Luck still throws 2-3 int in the first half...and we gonna continue blaming the talent around him? or is there something that is a problem with him?

i would love it if it was the browns with the kind of problem, but luck isn't perfect.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Damanshot #847583 02/04/14 04:33 PM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Not for nothin, but I don't remember anyone having any questions about Luck. Did I miss something?

As the draft approached there were some who said RGIII might be better... As I recall, the only real "question" about Andrew Luck was that nobody is a 100% sure thing.... there wasn't much specifically to question, only that every pick comes with risk, even if you can't define what that risk is.

yebat' Putin
DCDAWGFAN #847584 02/04/14 04:48 PM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Not for nothin, but I don't remember anyone having any questions about Luck. Did I miss something?

As the draft approached there were some who said RGIII might be better... As I recall, the only real "question" about Andrew Luck was that nobody is a 100% sure thing.... there wasn't much specifically to question, only that every pick comes with risk, even if you can't define what that risk is.

Same debate that went on between Manning and Leaf and between Bledsoe and Mirer if I remember correctly.

I didn't think there was much in the way of knocks on Luck..

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Damanshot #847585 02/04/14 04:55 PM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
J/c but I want no part of cousins he got exposed the more tape teams had of him. I'd rather keep Weeden than get Cousins. And I can't wait to cut Weeden if that clears things up.

would rather take Watkins at 4, Yankey at 26, and Mettenberger in the 2nd

#brownsgoodkarma
Tubby_Dawg #847586 02/04/14 05:06 PM
E
Legend
Legend
E
Rather have the draft pick than Cousins...even if we draft a developmental QB with the pick for the #3 QB.

At best he is a lateral movement to Hoyer not an upgrade.

Regarding Luck...he was always the #1 pick that was all jibber jabber by the Bozo's to make news.

Same with Manziel...Bridgewater has always been the #1 pick they just want to make news and have people read their by lines n blogs.
JMHO

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
eotab #847587 02/04/14 07:22 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
The Cousins' situation is interesting for several reasons:

--Washington obviously saw something in him to take him in the fourth round after using all the picks to get RGIII.

--He has looked polished at times in the NFL.

--His teammates have a lot of confidence in him.

--He is mobile enough and throws well on the run.

--I was thinking that it might be worth it to give up a 2nd round pick for him last year.

--I think Washington was wanting to show-case him at the end of the year and were hoping to get a 1st round pick for him.

--He played decently in his first game but faltered in the last two games. I think this hurt his value.

--I do think Hoyer and Cousins have a very similar skill set.

--I wonder if Shanny will want to bring him in here???? That's a distinct possibility.

--I would not want to give up a 3rd round or higher pick for him at this point. I don't even think I would give up a 4th. A 5th round pick would be a good gamble, but I think Washington will want more for him.

--It's probably something to keep our eye on.

eotab #847588 02/04/14 07:23 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Same with Manziel...Bridgewater has always been the #1 pick they just want to make news and have people read their by lines n blogs. JMHO

Agreed, while Bridgewater is not the prospect that Andrew Luck was. But I have a hard time thinking any NFL executives are seriously thinking of taking Johnny Football over Bridgewater. That's why I haven't thought much about Teddy.

I spent a lot of time thinking about RG3 (and then after the trade, Tannehill), because I knew we wouldn't get Andrew Luck. I'd just watch his videos when I wanted to feel bad about being a Browns fan, lol

As for Luck's INTs in the playoffs, sure, it's not good. But at the time of the draft, there were no questions about him. May be there's some questions now, but not when he was a draft prospect. No one was saying "Man, looks like he throws interceptions in big games" lol. At least he gets to play in those games....... Our picks sucked. Brandon Weeden and Trent Richardson (and I thought both made sense, shows what i know......) But I'd still trade 3 1's and 2 2's for Andrew Luck.

Last edited by PeteyDangerous; 02/04/14 07:24 PM.

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
Tubby_Dawg #847589 02/04/14 08:15 PM
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

J/c but I want no part of cousins he got exposed the more tape teams had of him.

You should see this then.

Sherman: We cracked Manning's hand signals

And there is so much more tape on him than Cousins.

Legend
Legend
that explains a lot.

the seahawks really did seem to know every play. at least an idea of what was about to happen.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
predator16 #847591 02/05/14 12:48 PM
C
Legend
Legend
C
I know this is what the Redskins have to say (for multiple reasons), but I thought I would post it anyway:

Quote:

Speculation about Washington Redskins backup quarterback Kirk Cousins possibly reuniting with new Browns offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan in Cleveland has been swirling for days, but it would be surprising if it actually happened.

Citing unnamed sources, ESPN’s Adam Schefter reported Sunday that with the Redskins making it clear Robert Griffin III will be their starting quarterback, Cousins is open to being traded and Cleveland could be a destination for him. The rumblings were predictable because Shanahan spent the past four seasons as the offensive coordinator of the Redskins, including the last two with Cousins, a fourth-round draft pick in 2012.

However, Redskins General Manager Bruce Allen told the Washington Times on Tuesday that Cousins hasn’t requested a trade. And Allen expects Cousins to be back with the Redskins next season, according to the report.

“There’s no change from our perspective on Kirk,” Allen said. “That’s it. We’re comfortable with Kirk.”

Even if the Redskins do change their tune and shop Cousins, the Browns wouldn't become a guaranteed trade partner. After all, they have the fourth overall pick in May’s draft, and it would be surprising if they didn’t target a quarterback early to pair with Brian Hoyer, who led the team to two victories last season before suffering a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee.

Nate Ulrich

predator16 #847592 02/05/14 12:55 PM
C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

NEW YORK -- Redskins backup quarterback Kirk Cousins is open to being traded and Cleveland could be a possible destination, according to a report.

But a source told cleveland.com Sunday that although the Browns will explore all options at quarterback, it's a remote possibility they'd trade for the third-year pro.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reported Sunday that Cousins, a fourth-round pick in 2012 out of Michigan State, believes he's ready to start and has already talked to the Redskins about possibly dealing him.

Sources also told Schefter that Cleveland is a possible destination because of Browns new coordinator Kyle Shanahan, the former Redskins' playcaller.

Cleveland.com reported Saturday that the Browns offered their coordinator position to Shanahan on Saturday evening and that the deal is expected to be wrapped up as early as Monday.

Shanahan, who was fired by the Redskins after a 3-13 season along with his father Mike, has coached Cousins for two seasons and really likes him, a source told cleveland.com. Question is, why would the Browns think about trading for Cousins when they have fellow Michigan State alum Brian Hoyer gearing up to start for the Browns in 2014?

The truth is, anything can happen with the Browns when it comes to their starting quarterback for 2014. If they draft a quarterback at No. 4 such as Johnny Manziel, Blake Bortles or Teddy Bridgewater, he'll most likely start the season.

Where would that leave Hoyer, who established himself as a bona fide starter last season? His old New England offensive coordinator Bill O'Brien, now the Texans head coach, really likes him. What if O'Brien, who's taking over a 2-14 team, makes the Browns an offer they can't refuse? The Texans, who's starter Matt Schaub had the worst season of his 10-year career, have the No. 1 overall pick and are poised to draft a quarterback. But what if O'Brien makes a pitch for Tom Brady's understudy?

If the Browns decide to part with Hoyer, perhaps they'd want to acquire a quarterback such as Cousins who's familiar with Shanahan's system. Trades can't be executed until March 11, but Browns CEO Joe Banner has already established himself as an aggressive dealmaker.

Cousins is 1-3 in his two-year career, with his only victory coming against the Browns in 2012. With Robert Griffin III injured, Cousins started his first career game against the Browns in Cleveland in December, foiling the Browns with play-action passing to put on an aerial display. He completed 26 of 37 attempts for 329 yards and two touchdowns, with one interceptions. He earned a superb 104.4 rating.

Late last season, Redskins coach Mike Shanahan predicted the club might fetch a first-round pick for the former fourth-rounder, but that was before Cousins started the final three games of last season and went 0-3.

Cousins lost his first two games against Atlanta and Dallas by a point, but struggled in the season finale against the New York Giants. In a 20-6 loss, he completed 19 of 49 attempts for 169 yards, with no TDs and two interceptions. He earned a 31.8 rating. Overall, Cousins has appeared in eight games, throwing eight TDs and 10 interceptions for a 68.7 rating.

Again, it's still early and Shanahan hasn't even signed his contract yet. But anything's possible for the Browns at quarterback, and the next three months promise to be a wild ride.

Link

cfrs15 #847593 02/05/14 01:12 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

What if O'Brien, who's taking over a 2-14 team, makes the Browns an offer they can't refuse?

Our #4 and Hoyer for the Texans #1? Maybe throw in a 3rd and/or 4th rounder to seal the deal? Interesting....

Last edited by bbrowns32; 02/05/14 01:13 PM.

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
bbrowns32 #847594 02/05/14 01:30 PM
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Quote:

What if O'Brien, who's taking over a 2-14 team, makes the Browns an offer they can't refuse?

Our #4 and Hoyer for the Texans #1? Maybe throw in a 3rd and/or 4th rounder to seal the deal? Interesting....

I'd keep Hoyer and send them both Weeden & Campbell.

cfrs15 #847595 02/05/14 02:00 PM
E
Legend
Legend
E
But what if O'Brien makes a pitch for Tom Brady's understudy?

I thought this was sort of funny... hmmm Teddy B or Hoyer what oh what are the Texans going to do...lol

Vers... yes last year was a different story cause we had no clue about Hoyer and what we did know was we had Weeden and Campbell.

But now with the Hoyer factor it doesn't make sense unless its just a late round pick. But it takes two to tango and they probably wouldn't think about it unless we are talking 2nd round pick. Backups Whitehurst and Schaub went for multiple picks including a #2. back up man my memory for names suck, Packer backup who signed for a Kings Ransom in FA.

Why I think we draft #4 (hopefully Manziel will be there) and start Hoyer with good success when its ready to start Manziel we can keep Hoyer for back up as in just in case - or auction him off for a pretty penny.

jmho

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

eotab #847596 02/05/14 08:30 PM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Flynn.

#gmstrong
ddubia #847597 02/06/14 08:52 AM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Flynn.

Tron.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Flynn.

Tron.

Mega?

- Theodore Roosevelt
eotab #847599 02/06/14 11:53 AM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

... my memory for names suck, Packer backup who signed for a Kings Ransom in FA.

Flynn

#gmstrong
ddubia #847600 02/06/14 02:19 PM
E
Legend
Legend
E
thanks ddubbia

My Point is Flynn what One Start.
Shaub 5 starts with Atlanta?
Whitehurst -0 - starts with Chargers.

Well if Hoyer plays an entire season while the rookie learns...and has a winning season (a rarity with us) 2015 we are ready to start the new era with the stud QB drafted...Hoyer would become our back up...but he also could command a Kings Ransom when you see what teams thought the above were worth with very limited success.

So starting him in 2014 I think not only gives us the best chance to win but would be a Bonus Baby for us when we know the young drafted QB becomes better than the teacher.

Well that's my plan

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

eotab #847601 02/06/14 02:35 PM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

thanks ddubbia

My Point is Flynn what One Start.
Shaub 5 starts with Atlanta?
Whitehurst -0 - starts with Chargers.

Well if Hoyer plays an entire season while the rookie learns...and has a winning season (a rarity with us) 2015 we are ready to start the new era with the stud QB drafted...Hoyer would become our back up...but he also could command a Kings Ransom when you see what teams thought the above were worth with very limited success.

So starting him in 2014 I think not only gives us the best chance to win but would be a Bonus Baby for us when we know the young drafted QB becomes better than the teacher.

Well that's my plan

So we get this stud QB this year, he sits behind Hoyer. Hoyer than has a great year, why would you rush another QB in? I mean, if Hoyer was good and you think the Stud will be better, yeah, sure. No question about it., But you don't let Hoyer get away in case the stud is a dud LOL Right?

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
eotab #847602 02/06/14 02:40 PM
O
Legend
Legend
O
I don't see that happening...

1. I'm really being cautious about Hoyer. The guy played 2 games last year. He threw a couple picks vs the Vikings. I think he should be named the starter regardless of our draft going into TC, but cautiously optimistic doesn't even begin to describe how I feel about him. I don't expect him to be a runaway success this year, sorry if I'm raining on anyone's parade.

2. If Hoyer does show some good stuff, and show that he can lead us to wins, there is no way, on this planet or any other, that he's getting traded. I swear, someone will set fire to Browns stadium if, after finally finding a serviceable quarterback, we go and trade him away. There's a good chance that person would be me.

If Hoyer goes off, the person that will be traded (if it comes to that) will be our shiny draft pick.

3. The reason Hoyer won't be the next Flynn is because there is no current fQB here in Cleveland. You need to have an entrenched starter in order to dangle a mystery QB as trade bait. I think Hoyer will be better than Flynn (which isn't saying much), but Hoyer won't be a mystery at the end of this next season (vs a guy like Flynn that did nothing except for beat up on a terrible Detroit secondary).

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
C
Legend
Legend
C
Do what the Seahawks did with Wilson and Flynn. Let them compete in camp. If is completely obvious one guy is superior than the other then start that guy. If it is not obvious start the veteran. If they both suck flip a coin.

Damanshot #847604 02/06/14 03:18 PM
C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

So we get this stud QB this year, he sits behind Hoyer. Hoyer than has a great year, why would you rush another QB in? I mean, if Hoyer was good and you think the Stud will be better, yeah, sure. No question about it., But you don't let Hoyer get away in case the stud is a dud LOL Right?

You just have to have the onions to pull the trigger and put the rookie in if it is the right thing to do.

An example of this would be the 2003 and 2004 Bengals. Kitna was pretty good for the Bengals in 2003. He started all 16 games, threw for 3,600 yards, 26 TDs, 15 INTs, and the team went 8-8. Carson Palmer was his backup.

The next year they followed their plan and inserted Carson Palmer as the starter and he wasn't as good as Kitna, but they knew that Palmer was the future of the team.

Like I said, it takes onions to bench a guy who has done well. If Hoyer stinks then it is a different story entirely.

cfrs15 #847605 02/06/14 04:26 PM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

You just have to have the onions to pull the trigger and put the rookie in if it is the right thing to do.

An example of this would be the 2003 and 2004 Bengals. Kitna was pretty good for the Bengals in 2003. He started all 16 games, threw for 3,600 yards, 26 TDs, 15 INTs, and the team went 8-8. Carson Palmer was his backup.

The next year they followed their plan and inserted Carson Palmer as the starter and he wasn't as good as Kitna, but they knew that Palmer was the future of the team.

Like I said, it takes onions to bench a guy who has done well. If Hoyer stinks then it is a different story entirely.

Yup

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
cfrs15 #847606 02/06/14 05:05 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

If they both suck flip a coin.

Romeo Crennel, is that you?

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
eotab #847607 02/06/14 07:22 PM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Well if Hoyer plays an entire season while the rookie learns...

We haven't had a qb play an entire season since Couch in 2001. It's a certainty that a rookie backup will start at some point next season.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
O
Legend
Legend
O
Quote:

I'm really being cautious about Hoyer. The guy played 2 games last year.

All I know is the guy reminded me of Brian Sipe and made the games fun to watch again. My heart sunk like a rock when he went down. Campbell played well a couple of games too, but he always felt like a game manager to me, Hoyer felt like a legit threat. JMHO based on nothing but my gut.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
O
All Pro
All Pro
O
So, this was just mentioned on ESPN, but what about bringing in Matt Schaub? Shanny worked with him in Houston with great results. Was this last year an aberration on an otherwise pretty good career? Does he have any gas left in the tank?

I think he might be a good guy to bring in to start if we get a rookie who needs to sit and learn for a bit. Hoyer is still an option, but his sample size is too small for me to feel comfortable with him as the starter heading into the season.

N
Legend
Legend
N
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdo...00809--nfl.html

when local establishments are going to the length of creating joke sandwhiches at his expense, then it's probably not a good idea for another team to rely on him for anything

#gmstrong
P
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
P
Quote:

So, this was just mentioned on ESPN, but what about bringing in Matt Schaub? Shanny worked with him in Houston with great results. Was this last year an aberration on an otherwise pretty good career? Does he have any gas left in the tank?

I think he might be a good guy to bring in to start if we get a rookie who needs to sit and learn for a bit. Hoyer is still an option, but his sample size is too small for me to feel comfortable with him as the starter heading into the season.

I think it's relatively likely he will be our new Campbell. Almost every new coach brings in an experienced QB in their system. Especially if we brought in Teddy or Bortles.

Legend
Legend
If you're starting a guy for the sole reason of letting the rookie sit. Does it matter how good he is really?

Kitna went 8-8 got benched.
Warner was 5-3 and got benched for Eli.

Everybody is hoping for the Brees/Rivers effect. But really. If you draft a guy #4 he's going to take over eventually.

Which is why I say start him from the start.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
predator16 #847613 02/07/14 05:24 PM
C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

I think it's relatively likely [Schaub] will be our new Campbell. Almost every new coach brings in an experienced QB in their system.

If we sign Schaub he is going to want to compete for the starting job and at least be the #2 QB. He is guaranteed neither of those things if signs with us.

Rex Grossman is the QB that is most likely to be brought in because of his ties with Shanahan. He was with him in both Houston and Washington, would likely be willing to take a role as a third string QB, and will not command a large salary.

cfrs15 #847614 02/07/14 05:31 PM
S
Legend
Legend
S
Gross Rexman

cfrs15 #847615 02/07/14 05:42 PM
B
2nd String
2nd String
B
I agree with you. I would prefer Grossman to Cousins because we could keep our draft picks.

predator16 #847616 02/07/14 05:56 PM
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

I think it's relatively likely he will be our new Campbell. Almost every new coach brings in an experienced QB in their system. Especially if we brought in Teddy or Bortles.

is Kyle going to run the system he ran in Houston? or the one he ran in DC w/ RGIII? they were vastly different afterall.

#gmstrong
cfrs15 #847617 02/07/14 05:58 PM
P
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
P
Quote:

Quote:

I think it's relatively likely [Schaub] will be our new Campbell. Almost every new coach brings in an experienced QB in their system.

If we sign Schaub he is going to want to compete for the starting job and at least be the #2 QB. He is guaranteed neither of those things if signs with us.

Rex Grossman is the QB that is most likely to be brought in because of his ties with Shanahan. He was with him in both Houston and Washington, would likely be willing to take a role as a third string QB, and will not command a large salary.

I didn't realize Grossman was with him in Houston. Good info

P
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
P
Quote:

Quote:

is Kyle going to run the system he ran in Houston? or the one he ran in DC w/ RGIII? they were vastly different afterall.

While he preaches a zone run scheme he tailors his passing game to his QB. Depends on who we draft.

predator16 #847619 02/07/14 06:20 PM
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

While he preaches a zone run scheme he tailors his passing game to his QB. Depends on who we draft.

yes, exactly.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Bringing in Schaub at this point seems a lot like bringing in Jake Delhomme a few years ago.

Scary.

It makes some degree of sense ...... but then again, if he's done, he's done.

I think that I'd rather fly with Hoyer and a high draft pick.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Kirk Cousins

Link Copied to Clipboard