Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
PFT confirms...Bengals decline to match Browns’ offer for Andrew Hawkins web page

Last edited by mac; 03/18/14 03:29 PM.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
All Pro
All Pro

The Bengals have reportedly decided to not match the offer for Hawkins, and he'll officially join the Cleveland Browns.

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2014/3/18/5521702/andrew-hawkins-officially-joins-the-cleveland-browns

GO BROWNS!
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
sweet one less need in the draft to worry about.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...andrew-hawkins/

Last edited by Razorthorns; 03/18/14 03:41 PM.

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
C
Legend
Legend
C
My guess is that now that we know that Hawkins's salary is on the books we will see a few more signings. We now know how much cap we have for sure.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Veteran QB surely has to be on the list still...

I am more interested on how this effects the draft? Will we consider Watkins at 4 now, since evidently we didn't attend combine of any top-rated qbs and passed fully on Teddy's pro-day and now we have something legit to throw opposite of Josh Gordon in Hawkins?

Looks like we may in a good situation for a trade if they don't wish to take a QB.

Legend
Legend
Adam Schefter is tweeting that the Bengals are not going to match the offer.

yebat' Putin
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Quote:

Bengals have informed Andrew Hawkins that they will not match the offer sheet offered to him by the Browns. ‪#‎CLE‬

WELCOME TO CLEVELAND ANDREW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good job FO!

[Linked Image from dcptest.com]
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Quote:

sweet one less need in the draft to worry about.

Thats what i think, Farmer is methodically plugging holes so he can draft the BPA rather than only need.

Hopefully, guards, linebackers and a QB!

[Linked Image from dcptest.com]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Don't know much about this kid but why is everyone excited for a 4th string wr?

#brownsgoodkarma
C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

If only there were an eight page thread of people discussing him. . .

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
ouch, cold

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I ad no idea he was on that show with Micheal Irvin.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d80...hot-at-the-pros

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I haven't read the entire thread, just wondering what all the fuse was about, but thanks for the condescending response!

#brownsgoodkarma
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Andrew Hawkins ~~~~~Out of The Jungle~~~~~

WELCOME to The Pound!!!!

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
sorry I apologize.

He was nati's 4th receiver but seems to have great speed and can stop on a dime. It is the general feeling that he can excel as a slot receiver and afford us a lot of what we hoped Bess would when signed last year.

Given the Bengals glut of receivers he was buried on the bench and that certainly stymied his numbers and PT,

Will he do well, who knows, he has a slight frame so injury is a concern. But damn he sure can move.

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
H
1st String
1st String
H
Question now is who is our 2? He is not it. Strictly slot right? Benji is not a slot guy either?
Is little our 2 still? Man that would suck.
If we draft Sammy it would be, Sammy, Gordon on outsides. Hawkins slot, little and benji outside backup (cause he can't / won't do slot. ) thats 5 wr. Do we carry a sixth?
That's if we draft a wr high. If not we have little still as our number 2? Sigh another if we can or draft one high?

O
Legend
Legend
O
Wouldn't Little back up Hawkins (assuming Hawkins starts)? Wasn't Little supposed to be a slot receiver?

If not, then both Little and Benji are backups on the outside, and we currently don't have a starter on the opposite side from Gordon. At the very least we will draft a WR later (not necessarily Watkins) to push Little for that starting spot throughout the upcoming season.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
I still believe Sammy makes others better on the field. Pleased with this guy's ability. We could run some legs off seriously IMO against some defense. Does the offense platoon wideouts? 'Cause Shan the Man could wear people out chasing this package all day and running the ball side to side.

Props for the signing, even if it is sweeter than my taste for it.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Quote:

Wouldn't Little back up Hawkins (assuming Hawkins starts)? Wasn't Little supposed to be a slot receiver?

If not, then both Little and Benji are backups on the outside, and we currently don't have a starter on the opposite side from Gordon. At the very least we will draft a WR later (not necessarily Watkins) to push Little for that starting spot throughout the upcoming season.

Little has played both outside and slot. Benji is purely outside, yes. Ideally we would need a legit no2 outside.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I haven't read the entire thread, just wondering what all the fuse was about, but thanks for the condescending response!

My $.02.. he's a capable receiver who is young, has a fair amount of upside and he comes in at a position where you need 4 or 5 guys to have a decent group and we have 1.... ok, maybe 1 1/2.

I don't think this would have any impact, at all, on whether or not Farmer is considering drafting a legit #2 or even a #1A WR in the draft, this is just decent depth that still has some upside.

yebat' Putin
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
I'm not crazy about throwing that kind of money at a slot / 4th guy. But I do want to credit the FO with the smarts to front load the contract so the bengals couldn't match. If they wanted this guy they played it brilliantly to get him. Well played Farmer / whoever is in charge of contracts.

C
Legend
Legend
C
From what I understand the Bengals screwed it up. They said they were going to match the contract before Hawkins actually signed the offer sheet. Once the Browns knew that they restructured in a way that the Bengals were not likely to match. Then Hawkins signed the offer sheet.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I got a question. If the Bungles matched the offer, could we counter offer again? or is it one and done?

Dawginit since Jan. 24, 2000 Member #180
You can't fix yesterday but you can learn for tomorrow
#GMSTRONG

I want to do it as a Cleveland Brown because that's who I am.”
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I got a question. If the Bungles matched the offer, could we counter offer again? or is it one and done?

One and done.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
j/c
I don't want to get ahead of myself but given his contract and the fact that the Browns have been trying to get him on the roster for sometime; I think he'll get a lot of reps. He fills the roster slot of Bess but I think he gives a dimension to the offense not unlike McCluster, Austin and potentially Cooks. I'm not predicting anything just remarking on his style of play.

Welcome to Cleveland Andrew!

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

But a 1st string slot receiver.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Quote:

Because if you have a good game against us and nothing else you should be promoted to a first stringer.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Ok, thanks PDawg

Dawginit since Jan. 24, 2000 Member #180
You can't fix yesterday but you can learn for tomorrow
#GMSTRONG

I want to do it as a Cleveland Brown because that's who I am.”
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

I'm not crazy about throwing that kind of money at a slot / 4th guy. But I do want to credit the FO with the smarts to front load the contract so the bengals couldn't match. If they wanted this guy they played it brilliantly to get him. Well played Farmer / whoever is in charge of contracts.

Why do some of you keep saying 4th guy? Back in the day Gary Collins was called a flanker. Today he would be called a slot receiver. Collins wasn't a "4th guy". He was "The Guy" who caught 3 TD passes in our last Championship win.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Because he was a 4th string WR on the Bengals and hopefully will be that here (or cut).

M
All Pro
All Pro
M
Excited to get Hawkins. I think he's a better player than his stats say. Like others mentioned, the Bengals have a crud-ton of receivers so he wasn't getting the time he needed. I think Andrew could do very well for us in the slot.

We still could use an actual #2 receiver, though. Getting Sammy at #4 would make whatever QB we have look pretty good, if they're not sold on any QBs available at #4.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"One man's Bum is another man's Hobo" - Waterdawg
J
Legend
Legend
J
Quote:

Because he was a 4th string WR on the Bengals and hopefully will be that here (or cut).

Did he steal your girlfriend or something? That is the only logical reason for your posts about him in this thread. It's one thing to have questions about the contract and the money given, or whether we should have gone after another position or another WR, but to act like this guy is a talentless bum is just silly.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Quote:

Quote:

Did he steal your girlfriend or something? That is the only logical reason for your posts about him in this thread. It's one thing to have questions about the contract and the money given, or whether we should have gone after another position or another WR, but to act like this guy is a talentless bum is just silly.

No, he's just not worth it at all. He wasn't a top priority at WR for the Bengals and they really needed a 2nd and 3rd option who wasn't named AJ Green, but he sat on the bench for them. I'm just really not sure why he's getting so much love on here when he's truly a 5th string WR at best.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

sorry I apologize.

He was nati's 4th receiver but seems to have great speed and can stop on a dime.

actually..

he was listed as their 7th WR not their 4th WR under other
http://www.bengals.com/team/depth-chart.html

WR1 AJ Green Brandon Tate Dane Sanzenbacher
WR2 Mohamed Sanu Marvin Jones Ryan Whalen
Other Andrew Hawkins

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Some of us don't live in Cleveland. I lived MUCH closer to Cincy and actually have a much better feel for the guy being in the Cincy market. ( just moved to TN. )

The kid is a remarkable route runner with great moves and YAC. Very talented. I know many Cincy fans are quite upset about losing him. Different systems use players in different ways. Cincy airs it out and doesn't really use the slot WR a lot.

It's obvious the group we have in charge plans to use him a lot. Of course if I hadn't have lived in the Cincy market and know so much about him, I may not feel the same way. But knowing what I do, I'm very excited to have him on our team!

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
You're right, some of us don't live in Cleveland. I also live in a Cinci market and saw every game this that he played and every game for the past two years. Again, I don't see the love. The Bengals fans might like him, we loved Josh Cribbs. Doesn't mean either of them could play WR. Even though they don't run many 4 WR sets or very man 3 WR sets if he was good, he would have been playing. Instead, he didn't play. Both Mohammad Sanu and Marvin Jones had better years than him.

This is why I think it's a bad signing. Because it may make us think about not drafting a WR because we can play Little at two and Hawk at 3. That's my worst case scenario. The most likely thing we'll do is, draft a good WR then have Little at 3 and Hawk at 4. I have a problem with this because I'd much rather see Benji at 4 as he's done great so far (You could argue better than Hawk) and needs to play to learn the game. So my favorite scenario would see Hawk at 5th or 6th on the depth chart. And I think we really overpaid on that.

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Much like Peyton Hillis and Ben Tate before him Hawkins had an incredible game against the Browns. So we remember him fondly.

The dude has some moves but seriously lacks in height to be a #1 or #2.

I don't know if he will be slot or #4 but he'll be shaking and baking either way. The guy has some talent for sure but might be a bit over paid.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Quote:

But a 1st string slot receiver.

Ball, this is why fans need to educate themselves. Hawkins was the #2/#3 guy before Marvin Jones. Sanu helps in the red zone. Why was Hawkins replaced? He doesn't fit Dalton's strength. Andy is not a strong arm QB taller and stronger guys fit his short game.

Hawkins is your speed guy. Andy is not going to out muscle DB's, but he will spread the field. He is perfect for Hoyer's quick game.

For those who state Hawkins is simply a 3rd or 4th receiver have not watched A.J.Green and Marvin Jones.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Question now is who is our 2? He is not it. Strictly slot right? Benji is not a slot guy either?
Is little our 2 still? Man that would suck.
If we draft Sammy it would be, Sammy, Gordon on outsides. Hawkins slot, little and benji outside backup (cause he can't / won't do slot. ) thats 5 wr. Do we carry a sixth?
That's if we draft a wr high. If not we have little still as our number 2? Sigh another if we can or draft one high?

We could slide Cameron outside. He has the speed (4.59 s) for it with a slot or Dray off the tackle.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

j/c
I don't want to get ahead of myself but given his contract and the fact that the Browns have been trying to get him on the roster for sometime; I think he'll get a lot of reps. He fills the roster slot of Bess but I think he gives a dimension to the offense not unlike McCluster, Austin and potentially Cooks. I'm not predicting anything just remarking on his style of play.

Welcome to Cleveland Andrew!

I agree with this.

Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns Sign WR Andrew Hawkins

Link Copied to Clipboard