Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
L
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
L
I saw on NFL Network that Macks agent said that the Browns cant match every offer. But I only see Mack taking an offer from a winning team and not many winning teams have money and need a center this year.

NFL Network also said that the Ravens were looking at Mack as a backup plan if they cant re-sign Monreo, well hes signed.

I believe Mack is a Brown.

Legend
Legend
I hope you are right. May be a short-term lease, but would welcome him again. Just for durability, and then for ability as well. Need one in draft probably or late FA. Get stronger up the middle. Mack is one to build around. Not beating a path to his door are they? Other clubs caps have better uses. I can't see Ozzie giving him overwhelming money as a contingency; did they sign their guy yet? Figured this was just leverage with Mack to get that done. Get some more quality in here.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Pro Bowl C Alex Mack wants to talk to Colts

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl...-colts/6378077/

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Quote:

Mary Kay Cabot ‏@MaryKayCabot ยท 1m
#Colts announced they've signed C Phil Costa today. #Browns C Alex Mack (transition tag) was hoping for a look from the Colts.

2 minute later I read this lmao.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Talk about desperate lol

Mack initiating contact now? By now, he should have fired his agent already, who's getting owned by Farmer, lol

Sounds really like he wants out of here though. Sad, but I like the PR hit he takes. He said he'd stay and let us match. He got his wish, but now we see his true colours I guess...perfectly played by Farmer, can't say that enough...

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
M
Legend
Legend
M
I think it's obvious this guy just wants some demand when it comes to his contract. No matter what he thinks of Cleveland, this transition tag may scare teams away from doing anything based on the fact of how much money we have...and no team is going to make some outrageous deal they then would be held accountable for it.

If Mack gets nothing in the market, as mentioned before, it may be best for him to sign the one year deal, pray he doesn't get severely injured in 2014 and try again next year.

But until that time comes, perhaps we can sway him into a long term deal by our FA/Draft activity.... because that generally changes players' minds here in Cleveland.

Tackles are tackles.
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
He might be waking up to the fact that maybe centers just aint going to make as much as he thinks they outa make. probowl or not. Still dont want him to sign long term if he is then going to be playing half-hearted because he got stuck here instead of liking the deal he got.

I think the greatest reasurance that will happen for these players is next off season IF/when the front office and coaching staff is all here again =)

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

He might be waking up to the fact that maybe centers just aint going to make as much as he thinks they outa make. probowl or not. Still dont want him to sign long term if he is then going to be playing half-hearted because he got stuck here instead of liking the deal he got.

I think the greatest reasurance that will happen for these players is next off season IF/when the front office and coaching staff is all here again =)

He's still going to be handsomely paid even if we don't get the long term done. I think he gets something like 10 million for 1 year. Not too shabby for a center.

Here's the thing, I used to get mad/sad/frustrated with Cleveland FA. "Why don't they want to play here??" etc. and I wasn't buying the bad weather excuse because Green Bay, Pitt, etc have bad weather too but not the same problems.

Ultimately, good players in the NFL are competitors. You just don't make it to that level without having fight in your system. Even people who are "divas" like a Randy Moss that seem to be "slackers" are still more talented and competitive than most of us could ever dream to be.

So ultimately, Mack wants to win. He wants to goto the Colts, Ravens, etc. Teams that have franchise QBs in place and make the playoffs most years. I can't blame him.

So here's the key... let's win. Right now it's looking like we get Mack 1 more year and he's out of here... however, if we go 9-7 (or better? lol even as a fan it's hard to imagine), he'll be much more willing to listen to our contract offers.

NFL's Around The League podcast called it the "Losing club cost", and it's true, but for once we actually have talent on the team. Turn in some wins and next year it might not be so crazy to get some big name FAs here.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

I think it's obvious this guy just wants some demand when it comes to his contract. No matter what he thinks of Cleveland, this transition tag may scare teams away from doing anything based on the fact of how much money we have...and no team is going to make some outrageous deal they then would be held accountable for it.

If Mack gets nothing in the market, as mentioned before, it may be best for him to sign the one year deal, pray he doesn't get severely injured in 2014 and try again next year.

But until that time comes, perhaps we can sway him into a long term deal by our FA/Draft activity.... because that generally changes players' minds here in Cleveland.

That is why I said several days ago he may not take a offer. He may not want to be in Cleveland and at 10 mil, even if he gets hurt and can never play again, he can do that.....who in here or anywhere wouldn't consider 10 mil a lottery win that would set you up for life?

Ten mil at 2% is 200K per year. It's easy to live on 200K...draw down some principal over the years and you live better. Even with taxes he will reap 120,000 or more....again, who can't live on that?

He might be a California surfer dude at heart.....hey....why not? Several million in the bank tax clean provides a whole new outlook for most people.

Just Saying

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Reality for Mack is that we used the Transition tag, if he signs this which I believe he will, we can still franchise him next year. Yes it will be a little expensive but it buys us time to be more competitive and a more desirable destination for a replacement if need be.

B
Legend
Legend
B
No doubt we can tag him any way we want.....we tagged Dawson yet he became a Niner.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

No doubt we can tag him any way we want.....we tagged Dawson yet he became a Niner.

He became a Niner after being tagged two times. He was not tagged when he sign with them.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Dawson was tagged for the 2012 season...Banner never offered a contract to Dawson...didn't even negotiate with Dawson...that is how Dawson hit the market...Banner didn't want Dawson.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Talk about desperate lol

Mack initiating contact now? By now, he should have fired his agent already, who's getting owned by Farmer, lol

Sounds really like he wants out of here though. Sad, but I like the PR hit he takes. He said he'd stay and let us match. He got his wish, but now we see his true colours I guess...perfectly played by Farmer, can't say that enough...

Demoff was talking about running some special wording to the league in accord to the CBA to see if it would go through...he really wants Mack out of Cleveland..it's atough spot..but if he wants out that bad..work out a trade
But I did hear that the Browns would not come out of this empty handed .
The Browns drafted a good center, they can draft another good one.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Quote:

Quote:

Talk about desperate lol

Mack is really looking bad in all of this. I said long before FA started that I had read he wanted to leave....regardless of what Joe Thomas said. Mack was never long for Cleveland. This has been implied for several years now. He should have just been up front with the FO. Now you're right...Farmer owns him. And his agent looks like a dufus.

Personally never saw what the big deal was with Mack....Peter King be damned. Between the two I thought Ward was more valuable. Oh well. As the world turns...the Alex Mack edition.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Quote:

He became a Niner after being tagged two times. He was not tagged when he sign with them.

That is my point. Some people decide they won't play for you unless you give them the high tag or can't tag you any longer.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Quote:

Quote:

Dawson was tagged for the 2012 season...Banner never offered a contract to Dawson...didn't even negotiate with Dawson...that is how Dawson hit the market...Banner didn't want Dawson.

still on that? lmao

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Talk about desperate lol

Mack is really looking bad in all of this. I said long before FA started that I had read he wanted to leave....regardless of what Joe Thomas said. Mack was never long for Cleveland. This has been implied for several years now. He should have just been up front with the FO. Now you're right...Farmer owns him. And his agent looks like a dufus.

Personally never saw what the big deal was with Mack....Peter King be damned. Between the two I thought Ward was more valuable. Oh well. As the world turns...the Alex Mack edition.

This is exactly what is quoted by Mack in the story:

"Anytime a player has a chance to talk with a team with a proven record like the Colts, (with) a quarterback and other weapons of the caliber Indy has, it certainly catches your attention"

This is all he said. Another case of an inflammatory title to an article with little substance. There's absolutely nothing there that says Mack initiated contact.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
There comes a time in every relationship when one of the sides has to say, Ya know what enough is enough, "You in or out"

Me : I believe Mack is wanting out but with all respect towards him if he dosent want to stay ... say it and have the Browns untag him and go find out nobody really wants to pay a center 15 mil a year. Mack is a class guy but even class people need to know when it's time,

For me well I'm to the point of NOT paying a center who wants out 10+ mil, I say we tell him were gonna drop the tag as long as you dont sign within our division...gentalmens agreement.

We do have option,
Move Greco to Center, guards are Pinkston & Schwarts with Gilky as back-up and we use a third round pick to draft a Center and even with the 26th pick in the first grab a OT even look thru the remaining FA to sign a center or guard.

We can even sign a FA center or just draft one in the 3rd and plug him in there keep everybody in the same places and add another guard later in the draft.

I'm getting to the point of not caring if mack stays or goes, He's starting to look like a cry baby in fans eyes, Mack is like a old girlfriend, I know you dont wanna be here, I want you here but ya know what it's best if you leave, dont say anything just leave....Mack maybe it's time you just leave.

Picking up a center in the 3rd or 4th round dosent make that center anyless talented than a guard or tackle taken in the late 1st or 2nd, very few centers are ever taken in the 1st round, there are some but few, we can get a very good center and pay him alot less & get someone who wants to be a Brown.

If mack leaves mark my word, he will get a great contract and all will be rosey for a couple years and in soon enough he will be asked to restructor it, what ever he signs for he will never see it and if he's lucky maybe half of it.

Last edited by ClayM57; 03/14/14 08:03 AM.
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
clay...we are already this far along in the process, so we might as well see it through.

It's easy to take shots at the player, but it might be his greedy agent driving a hard bargin.

I'm still hopeful that the Browns can sign Mack to a long term deal.

Legend
Legend
Mack may be wanting out,, that's up for discussion of course.

But I don't think anyone will offer him 15 mill a year so that probably isn't a point of contention.

The frustrating part for me is that nothing appears to be happening which fuels a ton of speculation. The truth is, a deal like this isn't as easy as it may appear.

I don't think anyone wants to pay him outrageous money and then tie that money up for 5 days while the Browns decide if they should match it or not..

Others have said this and I wonder as well, is anyone going to offer anything knowing the Browns have the money to match..

#GMSTRONG

โ€œEveryone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.โ€
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Its like when you force your kids to go somewhere then once they get there they realizes its fun. Hopefully Mack will see something here this season that makes him want to stay. However, his agent seems to be kind of "Hillisish"

D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

If mack leaves mark my word, he will get a great contract and all will be rosey for a couple years and in soon enough he will be asked to restructor it, what ever he signs for he will never see it and if he's lucky maybe half of it.

With QB contracts getting larger and heavier, every NON-QB position for high priced players likely will get asked for reconstructure. It'll get to the point where it'll be difficult for a team to have two players that want/deserve to get paid big and one of them is a QB. Domino effect, Joe Flacco got this, so I expect that. Romo was awarded this, so I shall be awarded that. The next big-name QB to sign a contract will likely wanna be the "top paid" guy and that leaves teams with not much else cap to disperse to other areas/needs.

E
Legend
Legend
E
j/c...
without a doubt Mack wanted out. I don't blame him I think all the players were jobbed in the firing of Chud n staff. They felt betrayed its a natural thing. Once the dust settled most came back to reality that we were doing a reboot. Once the new staff was hired there was something to possibly believe in again.

Mack meanwhile didn't want to even look at us until: Pettine, Kyle and OL Coach took the time out to go out west and have a long talk with him.

He at that point opened the doors to negotiations and the prospect of playing in Cleveland again was not a disaster.

So the door is open. Its not a matter of he wants out - see you. We knew that already we want him to believe in the new guys. We got one year we know that. Nobody is going to throw stupid money at a Center! Its not a rare position - If our long term offer makes him the highest paid Center in the NFL - he is a fool for not signing. But maybe he needs that year...so be it. We just better not fire everybody again or else all of us might be gone

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Quote:

It's easy to take shots at the player,

I do hope nobody thinks I was taking a shot at Mack, Wasnt intending to have it come off as such, I do like Mack and respect the process he has earned and if it's his choice than he should use it and enjoy it, Mack has earned everything he's gotten, I wouldnt want to disrespect that even if it meant him leaving,

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

He's starting to look like a cry baby in fans eyes...

I don't believe that; I 'm of the opinion that it's his agent driving this. If Mack is typical of the average person, he doesn't like uncertainty; he wants to know ASAP where he's going to be next season...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
P
2nd String
2nd String
P
1993 drafted a super center with first round pick who despised leaving with the Modell Money Move-out and fined for wearing a Browns bandana during games--Steve Everitt.

I bleed Seal Brown,Burnt Oranage and White w/Chrome. It's a proud honored birthright and family tradition.
D
Legend
Legend
D
Jc

This article here:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/14/alex-mack-plans-visits-has-none-scheduled/

... has this quoted snippet:

Quote:

... Tim Younger, another one of Mackโ€™s agents...

How many agents does Mack have? Maybe he just needs to find one GOOD agent cause it seems like he hasn't even had an interview yet anywhere when I read the daily gossip/rumor mills...

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c

I don't think Mack wants out at all I think he's just like most players and that is that he wants to get the most money he can. I believe he or his agent(s) thought he could get more then what the Browns had offered him and now they're having trouble even getting anyone to make an offer. As far as what his 1 agent said about the Browns not being able to match all offers I think he was just trying to stir up some interest for Mack.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
jc

Let's see, a probowl center who has never missed a game wants to see how much he is worth and is willing to take the time to get his price is some how whining? Only ones I see whining are Browns fans. Even the media doesn't care much.

We had garbage for our front office, extreme dysfunction between the coaches and the FO, and every one got fired. yeah, there's no reason at all for the players to want the hell out of dodge from an owner who also looks unstable.

I don't see Mack whining at all. I see a smart young man who wants to get paid top dollar and who is not going to give a discount to a dysfunctional franchise just because he had the misfortune to get drafted by them.

Last edited by Razorthorns; 03/14/14 10:10 AM.

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Quote:

It's easy to take shots at the player,

I do hope nobody thinks I was taking a shot at Mack, Wasnt intending to have it come off as such, I do like Mack and respect the process he has earned and if it's his choice than he should use it and enjoy it, Mack has earned everything he's gotten, I wouldnt want to disrespect that even if it meant him leaving,

clay...it was just a general comment about how easy it is for fans to believe the player is driving the bargaining process when the truth is, player's agents push for the best deal they can get...cause they get paid too.

So far, we have not heard a word from Mack...btw, I agree, Mack earned my respect via his play on the field and his work ethic.

I want the Browns to get him signed...too bad it got to this point...Banner had a chance to get the deal done before last season started...but he screwed around and didn't get the deal done.

Mack let his play do his talking...preferring not to negotiate during the season...I can respect his decision, preferring to focus on football, rather than allowing the contract negotiations interfear.

Mack was faced with learning another new playbook (Chud's offense)...Mack busted his butt for the new guys, Haslam, Banner and for his new HC, Chud. So, before Mack could even think about trying to get his contract settled, the idiots in the front office fire the HC...

...I think that would enough for any player in Mack's position to reconsider his contract with the Browns. At the least, Mack knows he will once again be faced with learning "another" new playbook for another OC and HC.

Who could blame Mack if he wanted out...though I have not heard him say so. Mack is being asked once again, to trust Jimmy Haslam's judgement...and what has Haslam proved as an owner...NOTHING !

At this point, Jimmy Haslam is the worst owner in the NFL and this is before his legal issues are addressed. When all is said and done, our players could be working for an owner who is a convicted felon.

Everyone is waiting for that other shoe to drop, wondering how the outcome of the Flying J mess is going to affect the franchise.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

...and what has Haslam proved as an owner...NOTHING !

Not so, O Wise One!!! He (finally) recognized the dysfunctionality in his FO, and rectified the situation. Have you heard a 3 Stooges reference lately?

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Not so, O Wise One!!! He (finally) recognized the dysfunctionality in his FO, and rectified the situation. Have you heard a 3 Stooges reference lately?

Give it a year before you say these hires/promotions are anything short of another set of 3 stooges.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Give it a year before you say these hires/promotions are anything short of another set of 3 stooges.

LOL Probably a good idea to let it play out before heaping praise on him

#GMSTRONG

โ€œEveryone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.โ€
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Absolutely. But, he did recognize that the last set of Stooges had to go, and he took care of that quickly.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Just a general statement, not to you.

In my view, there may come a point where the Browns rescind their application of the transitional tag on him and allow him to become a free agent. It's obvious that the guy doesn't want to be in Cleveland. Personally, if I'm the Browns front office, I would calculate the day on the calendar where it would be most disadvantageous to him and circle it. If he hasn't signed the $10 million offer by that date, I would rescind the offer and make him a free agent.

E
Legend
Legend
E
or despair ...

I think Chud was a mistake and I think Haslam was a man over reacting and who got the wrong INTEL he acted rashly and cause the most damage.

I think later after experiencing what was going on he found the real problem with the Browns and excommunicated it with a swift sword.

The players have to regroup. We have to get back to football and the closer we get the easier that is. What happen this year can get all back on the right track and we will be the talk of the town. If this gets blown up again...can't explain "tragic".

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I would rescind the offer and make him a free agent.

Why?

[Linked Image from mypsn.eu.playstation.com]
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Just a general statement, not to you.

In my view, there may come a point where the Browns rescind their application of the transitional tag on him and allow him to become a free agent. It's obvious that the guy doesn't want to be in Cleveland. Personally, if I'm the Browns front office, I would calculate the day on the calendar where it would be most disadvantageous to him and circle it. If he hasn't signed the $10 million offer by that date, I would rescind the offer and make him a free agent.

Can't get emotional about it. It's a business, he'll be highly motivated to play well if he's on a one year deal.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Quote:

I would rescind the offer and make him a free agent.

Why?

Because he doesn't want to be here, the things he (and his agent) are saying about the Browns, and what are you going to do next year? You can franchise him twice (making him even more money) but he won't be a long-term answer for the Browns in any case.

I'd let him walk. I said so even before free agency began and all this is making my original views bearing out to be more true.

I'll draft his replacement (I like Weston Richburg myself) and save the money. Give Richburg less money and use the other money to give other players more money that you want to convince to stay. Joe Haden, Phil Taylor, Jordan Cameron, Jabaal Sheard, et al, bear more attention to retain as Browns than Alex Mack.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Alex Mack Transition Tag in FA Part 2

Link Copied to Clipboard