Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

My earlier mocks after losing Ward & DQ had us taking WR, OG, FS, CB, RB & ILB with our 2nd 1st through 4th rnd picks almost exclusively, usually taking Hyde or Hill in the 3rd round because that position was such a need. Now it's clear that with the signing of Dansby, Whitner & Tate the roster is not only upgraded, but that those six spots in a fairly deep draft (in some positions) will be available to fill the remaining holes and upgrade the roster depth including potential future starters. WR, OG, CB, are clear areas of need and will likely, (almost certainly,) be addressed sometime within the first seven picks, (along with a QB). And there is also a good chance that an additional ILB & FS are taken somewhere in there. The signing of Tate not only upgrades the running game immediately, but pushes the need for an additional RB down to the 5th round or later, if the FO & coaching staff so choose.

That's a rather fair assessment, I think. Well conveyed without having to get into too many specifics.

I can see the front office actually going heavy on the defensive side of the ball. Adding a WR (not at #4), a QB (also not at #4) and an OL or two, and that's about all. Investing even more heavily in the D with this draft with 6 or 7 selections going there. Then building up the offense heavily next year.

Not to hijack the Ben Tate thread, but what do you see those 6-7 selections being, and where do you see them happening? For example, I see this draft as being very deep at DT, WR, CB & RB, fairly deep at ILB, and not very deep at FS & OG (two areas of need), so I could see us taking a WR or two later, along with a CB and a RB but drafting a FS & OG fairly high because those positions seem thin to me. I would also expect us to take someone like Dennard or Mosely if either is there at 26.

I could see us drafting two (or even 3) ILBs. I could see us selecting two DBs. Add in an OLB and a DL, maybe 2. I'm not saying that everyone on the roster now will be on the roster by the time the season starts. I dare say that some of them will be cuts. Others may fall to the injury bug. Plus, you have to have contingencies for free agency in 2015 unless you want to be dealing with those next off-season too.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
All of you really need to hop on over to Tate's Facebook or twitter. There's videos on him discussing being signed, how he likes Cleveland, and all that type of stuff. Tate bleeds the kind of blood our team needs in a player.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

All of you really need to hop on over to Tate's Facebook or twitter. There's videos on him discussing being signed, how he likes Cleveland, and all that type of stuff. Tate bleeds the kind of blood our team needs in a player.

yeah, he genuinely seems happy and excited to be a Brown.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I know you are good at evaluating offensive lineman. So, you know that agility is not a strength of any of our guards. I'm curious as to what the plan is. I was certain that we were going to go after a Beadles, Asamoah, or Scwartz. I was hoping for Veldheer, too. I knew that was wishful thinking, but again, I was positive we would bring in at least one FA guard.

I don't know, bro............ I have seen this movie, too.

Don't be suprised if the Browns think they can pick up the guards they are looking for in the middle to late rounds of the draft.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Interesting. We certainly have the picks, and the draft has enough depth on D, for the FO to add significantly to that side of the ball if they chose to.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Interesting. We certainly have the picks, and the draft has enough depth on D, for the FO to add significantly to that side of the ball if they chose to.

I think so. We could get some really good players on the defensive side of the ball and have a stifling defense. We added some good pieces in free agency on both sides of the ball. We upgraded at each position (ILB Dansby > Jackson, S (W)Hitner > Ward, TE Dray > Barnidge, RB Tate > Magahee) and we could very well add another piece with Hawkins. We added another CB/ST player in Trufant also.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Imagine Cromartie, Borland and Calvin Pryor added to our D. :drool:

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

http://fox8.com/2014/03/16/a-man-of-many-hats-ben-tate-now-a-cle-cheerleader/

I wonder if we'll see him at the Heat game with Haden tomorrow? lol

The picture shows Tate wearing Browns, Cavs and Indians hats with the caption: “Officially a Cavs and Indians fan, now too, by the way.”

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

I think so. We could get some really good players on the defensive side of the ball and have a stifling defense. We added some good pieces in free agency on both sides of the ball. We upgraded at each position

ILB Dansby > Jackson, S (W)Hitner > Ward, TE Dray > Barnidge, RB Tate > Magahee

Some people would be open for debate on these so-called upgrades, but I think it looks like gold to me in terms of improvement. I think the largest impact compared to last season will come from Karlos truthfully, and if people follow me they know I am a big DQ fan but... it is what it is.

And let me clarify my answer, I believe the scheme and play caller will help in the run game (not saying Tate isn't an upgrade over both former trich and Willis, he should be) so that's where the run games impact will come from, but in terms of player "impact", I think Dansby will be a better inside back and it will enable our front seven to be even more versatile in whats been labeled another hybrid 3-4...

P
Legend
Legend
P
I think you forgot one..

Tate > Richradson.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
E
Legend
Legend
E
btw we didn't release Barnidge did we???

I like what we have done. I always thought that for teams like us trying to get there the FA period is to fill starting holes and depth to eliminate URGENT Need in the Draft. You would always want to put yourself in a BPA situation.

We chose to lose Ward - primarily due to the new D we would run. We got Whitner just one year older than Ward and really completed himself last season. Also Whitner has the inert Love for the Browns good for Moral and leadership.

We chose to lose DQ - I think we assessed a very big void in our coverage duties from the LBs including DQ. We aquired Dansby don't know how many years his legs have but still a good cover LB.

We lost McGahee - not much of a loss still he started for us. We got Tate, biggest improvement made and we get a healthy Lewis back - I think they will make a good 1, 2...

We lost Bess - again not much of a loss as he literally fell apart last season. We should be gaining Hawkins, I got a feeling a done deal but with the Bengals you never know. I doubt they wait this long to match the contract.

We lost Owens...well basically let him go last season (not a good move by Lombardi as we needed him) He wasn't that good but much better than the UDFA's we were throwing out there. We signed Trufant...our #4 CB but knows our HC n the defense he wishes to run.

We never had a blocker in the form of a FB or HB last year - Cameron was proving to be the better blocker last season and he wasn't that good. Now we picked up Dray an old fashion "I got him" type of football player. reliable hands if need be.

Hoyer now discovered and expected to be available all 16 games. The natural progress by young players. We are so ahead of last season...and we didn't have the draft yet.
We got 3 impact picks and possibly a surprise or two later on!

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

No, he's still on our roster and I think his contract is good until 2016. With the Dray signing though, this makes him pretty expendable unless there is value there in special teams... JMO.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

Quote:

I know you are good at evaluating offensive lineman. So, you know that agility is not a strength of any of our guards. I'm curious as to what the plan is. I was certain that we were going to go after a Beadles, Asamoah, or Scwartz. I was hoping for Veldheer, too. I knew that was wishful thinking, but again, I was positive we would bring in at least one FA guard.

I don't know, bro............ I have seen this movie, too.

Don't be suprised if the Browns think they can pick up the guards they are looking for in the middle to late rounds of the draft.

I've seen your predictions for too many years to ignore them.

Tell me, bro..............if that is indeed the case, what do you think of that strategy? I mean...........we both know that agile, intelligent, technically sound guards are absolutely huge in a zone blocking scheme.

DJ gave some interesting possibilities earlier. What say you? For that matter, what about the rest of you guys who have long-valued the importance of the OL. What do you think of waiting until the middle rounds to obtain our guards for this year?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

What say you?

Do we spend our #26 on a Yankey, or our 2nd rd on Su'a-Filo, or wait 'til mid-late rounds? There are some interesting later picks:
- Anthony Steen, Alabam, 6-2, 310 (Dj has already mentioned him)
- Russell Bodine, NC, 6-3, 310 Rd 4 or later
- Gabe Ikard, OK, 6-3, 302 OG/C Mid-rounds but moving up
- Brandon Lindner, Miami (Fla), 6-6, 315 Watched him at the Combine; he opened a few peoples eyes

Just a few I've mentioned that could be had in the mid-late rounds. I'm thinking that we very well could take an OG in the 3rd, and an OG/C mid-late...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Legend
Legend
Quote:

DJ gave some interesting possibilities earlier. What say you? For that matter, what about the rest of you guys who have long-valued the importance of the OL. What do you think of waiting until the middle rounds to obtain our guards for this year?

I will be upset if we don't address OG in the first 3 rounds.

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I think it's risky, same with CB2 and pretty much any other need.

Whoever we draft this draft, even the high picks, should not be forced and/or expected to perform at above AVG NFL level from day 1. It just almost never happens (think Mingo). These guys are for 2015 and beyond and while you can break in 2 or 3 of them, expecting 5 or more to start and others be your primary depth option is making the same mistake as last year. You're flirting with fire, even if you ace the draft, which I don't expect Farmer to do. He will almost certainly draft at least a couple of busts in the top 3 rounds simply by chance and him being a first time draft guy.

So, yeah, I would have preferred to go after one of the handful of useful OGs and same with CB. I consider it a mistake typical for first year GMs. It's both an ego thing at work and some fear of fan expectation of setting the bar too high...if Farmer would have landed Revis and signed Asamoah, expectations would have gone through the roof and he'd set himself up to fail. That and the tendency to get prospect happy in filling out the "imaginary depth chart" are the two major mistakes I see here.

It's not a horrible FA, it's an average one considering our needs and resources. Average FAs and drafts don't make us better though...the last regime found out about that the hard way too. We needed better than AVG and I don't see it so far

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
V
Legend
Legend
V
I agree w/you again. Counting on mid round picks to clear the way is wishful thinking. I also agree that we have done some good things while other moves are confounding. The one that blows my mind the most is the rumor about us being interested in Schuab. Are you kidding me??? Hopefully, it's just a stupid rumor.

I think it would have been wise to sign a FA offensive lineman like Asamoah. Draft another guard/tackle in round three and roll w/that for a year. Drafting two guys in the mid-rounds and pairing them w/two guys [Greco and Pinky] who have questionable footwork is awful risky.

I am trying to stay positive, but a lot this is irritating me.

D
All Pro
All Pro
D
JC

I'm glad we have a suitable RB on the roster prior to the draft. I'd hate to pull a Heckert-Richardson again. It was bad enough taking a RB in the 1st round, but entering the draft with a glaring need helped Minnesota play us on that.

I have no problems drafting a complementary RB for Tate, I just hope its 3rd round or later.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Quote:

No, he's still on our roster and I think his contract is good until 2016. With the Dray signing though, this makes him pretty expendable unless there is value there in special teams... JMO.

Kind of my thinking.....Barnridge was a Chud guy...Drey seems to be a Pettine type guy......but you typically keep 3 TE's in todays game, especially if you don't keep a useless fullback.

Isn't Marquise Gray listed as a TE? To me, he is sort of the NFL version of the college "Athlete" position. I wonder how he now fits?

I hope he has been saving his money and not going wild. He is a guy who might be close to losing the best paying job he ever has in his life.

That isn't to say he is dumb. Lot's of smart people never have a job that pays them 300-400K per year. Even 150K per year. Surely he made that.

All of these young guys should just pay off a nice house. Not a mansion....your basic 2800-3000 square nice home in a nice hood....2.5 baths.....250-400k depending on what city you live. Never start spending on cars and super luxury items until the 2nd contract is signed....that's the money. The first contact for most is simply a comfortable life if you don't do much else.

How many of you would have had a much different lifestyle had you been able to pay off a 350k home in Westlake or Bay when you were 25?

That's a lotto win for most people.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
D
Legend
Legend
D
Yeah, and at two years if he gets injured a lot like some people are concerned with, or isn't producing - then at 7mil it is a safe situation to be in as' well for us.

I don't know even if we should draft a RB. With Baker, Lewis, Whittaker and Oby - I think we have enough credible backs to compete for the #2. I would say draft a fullback, cause Oby isn't someone that will clear a path. He is an upgrade over Mareicic, he locks onto people okay from what I say, but he isn't going to move people or push to make holes. We need a brusier FB that can actually bulldoze.

D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Quote:

We need a brusier FB that can actually bulldoze.

I am down with that and there always options. Late in the draft, undrafted and even the cut list before the season. No excuses for our FB situation over the last few years.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

No excuses for our FB situation over the last few years.

Yes there is.

Heckert drafted Marecic and he was terrible.

And the offense we were in last year didn't really require a fullback.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Imagine Cromartie, Borland and Calvin Pryor added to our D. :drool:

We could certainly get Borland and Pryor. You can strike Cromartie from that list, but you could add quite a few good players on D to that list in the draft. Just load it up via the draft and go!

We could still add some nice pieces on the offensive side of the ball in this draft too! With ten picks (barring any compensatory selection additions), we could add some really nice players on offense too. Just for the record, those compensatory selections will be handed out in the next week or so. The annual meeting is slated for next Sunday thru next Wednesday and the compensatory selections will be awarded during this meeting.

We'll know who gets what and how many selections.

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Say what you will about Ben Tate's injury history and signing. But I am amazed with how well he is taking to Cleveland right off the bat. Love this signing now.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Agreed. WRs and RBs are deep, I expect to come away from this draft with a much improved WR corp and backfield. Too bad about Cromartie. I don't think we're eligible to get a comp pick for DQ, but Lava and TJ...

#gmstrong
M
All Pro
All Pro
M
Comp picks for players who left the team this year would be awarded next year. And, if I recall correctly, they factor in who left and who came. So even though we lost TJ and DQ, we gained Whitner and Dansby. So likely no picks gained there.

And we're not even going to talk about getting a pick for Lava. Come on, man!

"One man's Bum is another man's Hobo" - Waterdawg
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
We released DQ so I am not sure he is part of the comp equation. Does anyone know for sure?

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
As I understand it you have to lose more than you sign oin order to get compensatory picks,

With our signngs va our losses ( DQ willnot count as he was released) then we willnot get any picks... Clevesteve knows the answer

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Quote:

Quote:

This just reeks of sour grapes.

Oh, the irony.

What's ironic? I usually stay out of these conversations and I haven't expressed an opinion regarding any topic regarding who was here previously. Anyways, this progression of defending the previous regime to now bashing the current one is just that, sour grapes. You've backed yourself into a defensive position regarding this topic, so now you're railing against your detractors with statements like the one above.

There are no sacred cows.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Comp picks for players who left the team this year would be awarded next year. And, if I recall correctly, they factor in who left and who came. So even though we lost TJ and DQ, we gained Whitner and Dansby. So likely no picks gained there.

And we're not even going to talk about getting a pick for Lava. Come on, man!

lol, thanks for clearing that up. Hey, starting guard no matter how poorly he performed.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

We released DQ so I am not sure he is part of the comp equation. Does anyone know for sure?

That's the same thing I heard, his early release made the loss ineligible for comp.

#gmstrong
E
Legend
Legend
E
100% sure released players do not count in the weighing of LOSS vs GAINS in the compensation calculations. So Bess doesn't count. Weeden a starter don't count. Heck Campbell a Starter don't count. Lava, TJ is pretty much it.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I have never seen a Cleveland Browns athlete who was into social media this much. He's on Facebook posting videos, giving away signed jerseys to fans. It's actually really awesome, I hope he does well.

D
Legend
Legend
D
From Albert Breer: NFLPA sent an update on the Ben Tate contract, it's actually $6.2 million over 2 years, with $2.5 million guaranteed. ‪#‎CLE‬

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Agreed. WRs and RBs are deep, I expect to come away from this draft with a much improved WR corp and backfield. Too bad about Cromartie. I don't think we're eligible to get a comp pick for DQ, but Lava and TJ...

We could get a comp pick just for being bad enough to get the #4 overall pick.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

As I understand it you have to lose more than you sign oin order to get compensatory picks,

With our signngs va our losses ( DQ willnot count as he was released) then we willnot get any picks... Clevesteve knows the answer

The compensatory picks are handed out using a value system for free agents.

C
Legend
Legend
C
This confirms what we already know. Free agents running backs are not valued highly and we got Tate on a great deal.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

What's ironic?

Your position. Does that help?

R
Legend
Legend
R
DJ and Vers, how do you know we didn't try to sign a guard?

You guys are acting like it's just a snap of the fingers. Takes two to tango. Lot of things have to fall in place to get players here.

N
Legend
Legend
N
I would say this about OG signings. Schwartz and Asomoah signed for less than I expected and the Browns could have trumped those offers. You would have to hope that Schwartz specifically would be willing to play for our team if we were also the highest bidder.

#gmstrong
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns sign Ben Tate.

Link Copied to Clipboard