Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/18/aaron-berry-visits-cleveland-browns/

After being suspended three games in 2012, Aaron Berry got the chance to restart his career under defensive coordinator Mike Pettine with the New York Jets.

Following an ACL injury last summer, Berry could once again get a second chance under Pettine.

According to Brian Costello of the New York Post, Berry visited the Cleveland Browns on Monday.

Berry was released by the Detroit Lions after a pair of offseason arrests in 2012. After a three-game suspension for a violation of the league’s personal conduct policy, Berry signed with the Jets in October. He appeared in seven games and recorded two tackles. He then tore his ACL in offseason work last July and missed the entire season.

Berry was expected to complete for a starting job with Detroit in 2012 after racking up 31 tackles and 11 passes defensed in 11 games in 2011.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Legend
Legend
He's pretty cheap.. I don't see it as being a big problem... might be nothing more than Fodder... we'll see.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
E
Legend
Legend
E
SS???

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
I don't see him as a SS candidate ..... just depth.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Uuuuhhh, no thanks. Guy's picture along with 'character-issues' in the dictionary.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Uuuuhhh, no thanks. Guy's picture along with 'character-issues' in the dictionary.

Hey, maybe we need a cheap bad boy LOL

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
D
Legend
Legend
D
Sounds like a defensive version of Davone Bess. Why the hell we even bringing in this guy? Likely hacked up knee and off-field concerns? Sounds like it be should be a big NO making him a part of this roster.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Sounds like a defensive version of Davone Bess. Why the hell we even bringing in this guy? Likely hacked up knee and off-field concerns? Sounds like it be should be a big NO making him a part of this roster.

He played for Pettine and maybe Mike just wants to see if he's got anything left in the tank. who knows..

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
cant hurt to look.

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
L
Legend
Legend
L
Quote:

my thoughts as well...surely theres other options. Go from DRC to aaron berry, maybe ralph brown or terry cousins were busy?

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
T
Legend
Legend
T
Quote:

He appeared in seven games and recorded two tackles.

expected to complete for a starting job with Detroit in 2012 after racking up 31 tackles and 11 passes defensed in 11 games in 2011.

Just say no.
My first reaction:

" Get me Chuck, Chuck, this is your cousin, Marvin Berry! You know that new sound you been looking for"

... Just say NO, we've had no success with former Jets in the last 10 years, and a LOT of disappointment. NO! NO! NOOO!

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

we've had no success with former Jets in the last 10 years, and a LOT of disappointment

Of all the potential reasons NOT to pick this guy up, that is one that makes no sense at all..

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
j/c

Aaron can be a strong candidate helping with depth at CB. This guy is hungry. He has one more shot at a multi-year contract.

If I remember, Berry was competing with Bly for a starting job in Detroit until he had issues with the law. He had a bit of bad luck in NY with a torn ACL.

Before his injury, Aaron had speed and was known as a thumper. He may or may not be a threat to take Skrine on the depth chart, but he is an upgrade to what the Browns had at the bottom of the CB depth chart.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Hello McFly!! lol

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
Quote:

My first reaction:

" Get me Chuck, Chuck, this is your cousin, Marvin Berry! You know that new sound you been looking for"

ok, that made me laugh, hehe

My first reaction was "no way, we don't need that here". After a second, though, I realized that as long as we give him a "Show Me" kinda deal with character clauses that allow us to recoup any money we give him if he screws up, then I don't care at all... give the guy a second chance at the league and see if he can earn a final roster spot.

It's mid-March... there's a whole lotta room on this roster right now.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

It's mid-March... there's a whole lotta room on this roster right now.

+1
No harm giving him a look.

Legend
Legend
Said he was visiting. Maybe he won a Berea/Parma vacation package. Just doesn't sound like one we need here, maybe just camp kid. We SEND them to the Jets. This better be cheap contract money, because I don't see the attraction meself.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Quote:

Said he was visiting. Maybe he won a Berea/Parma vacation package. Just doesn't sound like one we need here, maybe just camp kid. We SEND them to the Jets. This better be cheap contract money, because I don't see the attraction meself.

Current CB backups are: Julian Posey, Leon McFadden, and Johnson Bademosi. Cleveland added Isaiah Trufant. I think Berry can add competition. Can they find better? Maybe. At the price they may sing Aaron? Doubtful. As I stated, Aaron is hungry. He doesn't make a team he is most likely done.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
J/C

I'm tired of people whining about "character". Cincy is full of players that many posters sceamed not to draft (Malaluga,Burfict). Funny, but these guys are good players. To top it off, Cincy has been in the playoffs the last couple years.

I like guys and want guys with good "character", but come on, they are good players, and better than many we have. The league is full of guys with skeletons in their closets. This ain't figure skating, football players need a little attitude.

I swear some of you would be happy with a bunch of pansies, just so your sacred "character" would be in tact.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Anybody that can pop someone in the mouth and not care.. I want on this team..

We gotta start setting the tone here in Cleveland that we have a tough deffense, and don't take crap from no one.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
V
Legend
Legend
V
Can you imagine the outrage if Banner had showed interest in this guy? LOL

Now, it's okay.

The guy is a criminal and oft-injured.

Brilliant move by Farmer and Pettine. Right guys?

Once again, y'all are showing your true colors.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

Can you imagine the outrage if Banner had showed interest in this guy? LOL

Who cares? Only you.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
JC

I really don't mind us picking up a questionable defensive player. We still have a great defensive locker room that sets these players straight. Offensive locker room however...

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
How does this guy being an idiot off the field make him better on the field, E.Ryze?

Legend
Legend
If he signes for close to the vet min. with no bonus money I would have been OK with it no matter who signed him.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Dang right I care. It goes a long way in determining the validity of individuals posts.

Why would it be terrible if one regime did a move and it be "okay" if another regime did the exact same move? That reeks of bias.

Bias leads to false conclusions. And that is never a good thing.

Btw.............you can stick your condescending attitude where the sun doesn't shine.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Why bro? The guy is an idiot.

We don't need more of them on defense. We just got rid of one loser in Ward. We still have Haden and Taylor. We need more character guys on D. This guy would not be good for our chemistry.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

Why would it be terrible if one regime did a move and it be "okay" if another regime did the exact same move? That reeks of bias.

Most people, not including you, would judge the signing on whether they like the player or not and the money that was given. Not on who made the signing.

Quote:

Bias leads to false conclusions. And that is never a good thing.

And least you know why you often aren't taken seriously.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

We don't need more of them on defense. We just got rid of one loser in Ward. We still have Haden and Taylor. We need more character guys on D. This guy would not be good for our chemistry.

P
Rookie
Rookie
P
Vers I am going to respectfully disagree. I think any contract with Berry will have language protecting the club if he is released due to off field digressions. I don't see the down side in a one year prove it contract. If he plays like he did in Detroit we may have a solid 2cb on the cheap. If he is washed up or not worth the headache I would have to believe he would be released quickly.

As for him being an idiot, he did some dumb stuff as a 23 year old. Hopefully with a little age and being away from the game he has learned some humility and will be hungry to prove himself.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

And least you know why you often aren't taken seriously.

That's a pretty cocky statement. You sure you wanna go there?

I was talking football. You were talking about me. You still are.

You really wanna go there? Just curious?

If you don't, back off. Now.

Last edited by Referee 3; 03/18/14 09:54 PM.
V
Legend
Legend
V
No problem w/you disagreeing. I'm not saying I am right.

Good argument. Sure beats the argument that cfrs has, which is:

That was sheer brilliance.

No problem, Penny. You could be right. Thanks for debating like an adult rather than a punk kid.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

You really wanna go there? Just curious?

I don't think it is a stretch to say you are obviously biased against Farmer and were obviously biased in favor of Banner

V
Legend
Legend
V
I am talking about the statement that you made that I am not taken seriously.

Wanna bet on that one, Mouth?

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
I think the reason why people are applauding this move or being happier about it, is that people are willing to give GM's an amount of unacceptable moves. And the firing of Chud just pushed everyone into a threshold of hate.

V
Legend
Legend
V
And there you go..............

It's not about the merits of the actual move, it's about the perception of who made the move.

That's fine. I can accept that.

I simply like to know what types of minds I am dealing with and how they "rationalize" things.

P
Rookie
Rookie
P
Not defending Vers here but he has had some very positive things to say about Farmer so far.

I don't think pointing out the obvious is biased. People worshipped every move Savage, and Heckert made. 90 percent of what they did was brilliant. Just like 90percent of the post have been thus far with Farmer. The only one that didn't get that honeymoon period was Lombardi because he criticized the Weeden and Gordon picks.

I am sure 90% of those jocking Farmer now will turn on him at the first sign of dysfunction labeling all of his pick ups bust.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Don't defend me, bro. While I appreciate it...........I don't want you to be attacked for siding w/me. I'm cool.

And I like the odds.

Seriously..............a dude telling me that people don't take me seriously.

Last edited by Versatile Dog; 03/18/14 10:08 PM.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

The guy did some stupid crap. No arguments from there. I know nothing about him as a person which is why i said vet min and no bonus. If he has his head on straight right now it's a good deal for us. If he doesn't we cut him loose and don't lose anything.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
I would sign a guy all day with starting potential for minimum salary just because he has questionable history. It's one thing to have documented history of being detrimental to a team and a locker room cancer. It's another to get in a bar fight and drive drunk while your a 22 year old on top of the world in the NFL. I could give two flips who the GM is. I base my approval or disapproval on the move itself. Anyone who wants to play politics because of the man behind the move is wasting their time. How childish.

Oh and this is coming from a guy with the same charges. Maybe I shouldn't be allowed on this board with such stand up citizens. God knows I'll never change. One night will define me for life.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Aaron Berry visits Cleveland Browns

Link Copied to Clipboard