Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#866229 03/22/14 05:48 AM
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro

NFL Free Agency Rumors: Rex Grossman expected to sign with Cleveland Browns

He is hated by pretty much any fan base he touches but Rex Grossman manages to find work anyways. Despite the eye rolls his name brings about, the former Florida Gator quarterback has been a starting quarterback on two different teams and has played in a Super Bowl, and his next venture will most likely take him to the NFL wasteland of Cleveland.

Mike Pettine is the head coach now and Kyle Shanahan is the offensive coordinator, which means a new era may be about to get underway that cleans up the waste and instead lays it across the rest of the AFC North. With a revamped defense and armed with a pair of first-round draft picks, the Browns look to be turning a corner — so naturally they’re interested in signing Rex Grossman.

http://fansided.com/2014/03/21/nfl-free-...-browns/#!ATapB

GO BROWNS!
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Honestly most of our QBs who have been awful have been dink and dunk you to death guys. If we are going to have our 2nd/3rd QB fail, I prefer he fail with entertaining deep bombs that dazzle the eyes and boil the blood.

I've got no problem with signing Rex. But really a backup qb is a backup qb 90% of the time. Some of them eek out wins, and you might prefer a game manager to do that with moreso than Rex, but in our situation it doesn't matter that much.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
".........and his next venture will most likely take him to the NFL wasteland of Cleveland."

Hey! Ouch! (And I just woke up!)

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
...JC...

First, the source for this info is Jason LaCanfora and it based on pure speculation.

If the Browns would sign Grossman, I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Having an experienced veteran helps to provide leadership that can help to teach the younger QBs...it would be a plus for the Browns.

I would view it as a good move by the Browns front office.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

...JC...

First, the source for this info is Jason LaCanfora and it based on pure speculation.

Having an experienced veteran helps to provide leadership that can help to teach the younger QBs...it would be a plus for the Browns.

Hell, why not sign Sanchez if that's the criteria? He's younger and if you could make it work, he could be the answer long-term. Grossman won't be pushing Hoyer for anything, not even locker position.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
If for no other reason than meaning we do not trade for Schaub, trade for Cousins, trade for Mallet or pick up Sanchez, then I am OK with Grossman

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Quote:

Quote:

...JC...

Hell, why not sign Sanchez if that's the criteria? He's younger and if you could make it work, he could be the answer long-term. Grossman won't be pushing Hoyer for anything, not even locker position.

Go back to bed dude.

Grossman is PERFECT for Hoyer and anyone else we bring in (Bridgewater, Carr, Garrop, Mettenberger).

The dude's been with Shanahan since 2009 running his offense.

You don't think that helps? Of course you don't. Your QB eye is off the charts on the negative side.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Quote:

...JC...

ana...tell us, how much experience does Sanchez have at running Shanahan's offense?

Looking at Sanchez's experiences since being drafted, what is he qualified to teach our QBs?

The scenario I see playing out...
1. The starting job is Hoyer's to lose
2. A veteran to help teach the other QBs as our backup...Grossman fits that role better than anyone, IMO.
3. Browns draft a QB who will be sitting, learning the new offense, with no pressure to start.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
D
Legend
Legend
D
We have to assume that Hoyer will get dinged at some point and miss a game or two - history tells us that. When that happens, I am not thrilled that the next man up will be Rex Grossman. That feels a lot like watching #3 take the field last year.

I'd rather kick the tires on guys like Sanchez, Matt Flynn, Kevin Kolb, or Shaun Hill. Heck, I might rather watch Colt McCoy as a backup than Rex Grossman. People say "yeah but he knows Shanahan's offense.", and I think, come on, what are we talking about here, Chinese Algebra? Pro QBs are bright individuals, with certain notable exceptions (#3), and should be able to pick up any offense pretty quickly without some veteran mentor being kept around for that reason alone.

D
Legend
Legend
D
I;d thought we'd sign him for sure the second Schaub was traded. Kind thought that was the only reason the Browns were waiting was to see if what trade from Houston for Schaub or waiting for him to get cut... now neither of those are a possibility sooooo...

V
Legend
Legend
V
Experience in the offense is good. Terrible play is not. He has more interceptions than touchdowns.

Grossman has stunk wherever he has played. The fans have ended up despising him. The guy was booed on family night in Chicago. You will end up feeling the same way if you have to watch him play.

Here is a part of an article to illustrate my point:

Quote:

Midway through the third quarter on Saturday, Rex Grossman made his first on-field appearance of the season at FedEx Field. The fans booed. Loudly.

The jeers were easily audible on the Redskins television broadcast. They were easily audible on the Colts television broadcast, and the Redskins radio broadcast, and the Colts radio broadcast. And they were easily audible at FedEx Field, where media members and fans immediately began tweeting about the home team’s backup QB getting booed without having done a single thing.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-s...a6d89_blog.html

Here is a quote from Rex that kind of sums him up:

Quote:

I'm going to naturally make plays. I'm not going to force anything. There's a fine line between just being a gunslinger and running the offense. I'd like to be 90% running offense, with that other 10% being my own personality

It's that 10% that is the killer.

Here is another excerpt from yet another article:

Quote:

Grossman can move the chains at times, but he also consistently turns the ball over. Even he admitted this week that turnovers lose football games. Only two other quarterbacks, Josh Freeman and Phillip Rivers, have more interceptions that Rex's 16, and he has far fewer attempts. Imagine if he was never benched. He could be leading the league. In 13 starts as the Redskins' quarterback, he has 20 interceptions.

Grossman believes the Skins could have won more if they eliminated turnovers. In his nine-year career Grossman has thrown 56 interceptions and 52 touchdowns. His passer rating is 28th in the league. He's not changing and the Redskins are not going anywhere with him.
http://dc.sbnation.com/washington-redski...ins-quarterback

I wonder............is experience in a system more important than a guy who can't take care of the ball?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

............is experience in a system more important than a guy who can't take care of the ball?

Yes....as long as he never sees the field. I expect that he is here primarily for mentoring purposes and emergency backup.

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
V
Legend
Legend
V
Our third string QB almost always sees the field.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Yes...most unfortunately.

E
Legend
Legend
E
j/c...

He was the expected veteran BACK UP signing about a month ago when Kyle took over as the OC. So this rumor/whatever it is - does not come as a surprise. It makes more sense than Schaub rumors that were abound.

He knows the Offense. He knows the NFL. At this stage of his career he has accepted a veteran backup role and can help a young QB as well as WRs get acclimated with the new Offense.

This signing would not change any plans regarding the draft and the QB position. It is to fill a back up void by our release of Weeden and Campbell. Which leaves one more hole to fill - and I expect it to be done from the draft!

Rookie - Grossman, with Hoyer the projected Starter. I would like that for our QB position in 2014!

This would be a good signing hope it happens quickly!
jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

I wonder............is experience in a system more important than a guy who can't take care of the ball?

If they brought him in as a legit #3 and to be more a coach then a player then yes.

if They brought him in as #2 or God forbid battle for #1 then hell no.

The last thing we need is some reclamation project at QB

Last edited by texaslostdawg; 03/22/14 09:02 AM.

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Rookie - Grossman, with Hoyer the projected Starter.
jmho

I'm on board with that, eo. The draftee would be our #3 guy, hopefully not having to see the field until he is ready...

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Yeah, I guess at #2 AS LONG as they have drafted a rook to take the reigns.

Assuming that rook is not some 6th round talent

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

...or God forbid battle for #1 then hell no.

Ah geez, no...

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

...JC...

Go back to bed dude.

Grossman is PERFECT for Hoyer and anyone else we bring in (Bridgewater, Carr, Garrop, Mettenberger).

The dude's been with Shanahan since 2009 running his offense.

You don't think that helps? Of course you don't. Your QB eye is off the charts on the negative side.

I'm only looking at it from a perspective of how he would help the Browns.

1. How does he push Hoyer? Does Grossman have a legit shot of winning the starting job?

2. If he doesn't win the starting job and Hoyer goes out with an injury, could he lead the team? Or, is he just another in the carousel of diminished-skills QBs looking for a final paycheck before retirement from the NFL?

3. What does he really bring to the table?

4. What could Hoyer learn from him?

Seriously, I think you folks are willing just to take just about any aging QB and plug them in to fill a roster spot. I've got news for you and it may come as a shock to some of you. That doesn't make the team or the QB position any better.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

The scenario I see playing out...
1. The starting job is Hoyer's to lose
2. A veteran to help teach the other QBs as our backup...Grossman fits that role better than anyone, IMO.
3. Browns draft a QB who will be sitting, learning the new offense, with no pressure to start.

And these are the flaws in how you see things.

1. The starting job should be open for any QB on the roster to win.
2. If it's Hoyer's to lose, what can Grossman really teach Hoyer about playing QB that Hoyer hasn't already learned?

The only point I partially agree with is #3. Even a drafted QB should be in the mix to win the starting QB job.

My Lord, with fans like you folks, it's no wonder the Browns suck year-after-year-after-year! I'm almost ashamed to be lumped together with you. Let's not start a , but I shake my head at some of you folks.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

People say "yeah but he knows Shanahan's offense.", and I think, come on, what are we talking about here, Chinese Algebra? Pro QBs are bright individuals, with certain notable exceptions (#3), and should be able to pick up any offense pretty quickly without some veteran mentor being kept around for that reason alone.

This is exactly right, including everything about the player that wore #3 for the Browns last season.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Quote:

If they brought him in as a legit #3 and to be more a coach then a player then yes.

if They brought him in as #2 or God forbid battle for #1 then hell no.

The last thing we need is some reclamation project at QB

You see, this is the problem that I have. It seems that Browns fans have become accustomed to keeping less-than-adequate players on the roster as 'depth' or even as starting players.

If the guy you bring in won't actually be expected to battle for the starting job, I want nothing to do with them. It isn't like we have a lot of players that have established themselves at the position. I'm one of Hoyer's biggest fans on this message board, but I want him to be pushed to be better. I don't want him going into the season with the feeling that he's got the starting job sown up. I want him to work to establish himself. If he can't then we go with someone else.

D
Legend
Legend
D
I hate to be redundant, but we know that the backup QB is going to see the field this year. We need him to be a guy that gives us the chance to win those games, unless 2014 is going to be yet another throwaway season. I expect no less than 7 wins this year, am hopeful we can win 9 games, and Grossman's body of work does not suggest that he is even adequate as a starter or a backup.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

We have to assume that Hoyer will get dinged at some point and miss a game or two - history tells us that. When that happens, I am not thrilled that the next man up will be Rex Grossman. That feels a lot like watching #3 take the field last year.

I'd rather kick the tires on guys like Sanchez, Matt Flynn, Kevin Kolb, or Shaun Hill. Heck, I might rather watch Colt McCoy as a backup than Rex Grossman. People say "yeah but he knows Shanahan's offense.", and I think, come on, what are we talking about here, Chinese Algebra? Pro QBs are bright individuals, with certain notable exceptions (#3), and should be able to pick up any offense pretty quickly without some veteran mentor being kept around for that reason alone.

Okay, we can bring back McCoy but dad has to stay home.

#GMSTRONG
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

I hate to be redundant, but we know that the backup QB is going to see the field this year. We need him to be a guy that gives us the chance to win those games, unless 2014 is going to be yet another throwaway season. I expect no less than 7 wins this year, am hopeful we can win 9 games, and Grossman's body of work does not suggest that he is even adequate as a starter or a backup.

I can't really deny that the Browns M.O. has been to have the backup (and unfortunately, the 3rd stringer) starting games for us. My hope is that this won't be the case this year and I don't think we should look at it in that way. We should expect that the Browns starting QB will start all 16 regular season games.

It was folks like Holmgren & Co. that thought that 'starting over' was the way to go and that brought with it the 'throwaway season' dialogue. Unfortunately, it has stuck around. That's the linguistic culture that has to be eviscerated from the lexicon.

I'm expecting that the team will make the playoffs. It's what we should all be expecting. I don't want to see incremental improvement in the number of wins. We should be able to make the playoffs THIS year, not next year or two years from now. Incremental win totals are what we might get, but it shouldn't be what we expect.

In regards to Grossman, I agree. He won't be an adequate starter or back-up. If the team expects that Hoyer is in the mix for the starting job (no, he shouldn't have the job handed to him) then his back-up should be expected to have AT LEAST as much ability as he does. That isn't Rex Grossman.

E
Legend
Legend
E
2. If it's Hoyer's to lose, what can Grossman really teach Hoyer about playing QB that Hoyer hasn't already learned?

Got to side with Mac here n disagree with you and Dave.

There are so many things involved with learning a new offense... Timing, reads, teaching the WRs - improvising and how bout we do it this way due to the individual personnel of our team.

Having a 10 year veteran who is familiar with the playbook and the LANGUAGE...we don't want Hoyer to know it...we want him to execute it. And you both seem to totally ignore the fact that its not just HOYER that has to learn it. The WRs. the OL the RBs all have to get in sync.

Yes we have a coaches. But after the meetings and the players are by themselves and go and view film of the days practice...do you not understand how important it is having a Grossman there to help Hoyer and the rookie and the WRs even on how to execute it better.

Its all about having a finished product at its best GAME 1. For you to state what can he teach HOYER...sorry but from that statement and thought process alone had you at a loss for this discussion. Again I don't say these thing to be arrogant or anything but you actually believe this or you wouldn't state it. Just hoping to correct the thought process. Hopefully you won't take this as an insult. If you wish to not keep an open mind to it. Trust me it won't offend me at all. That would be your choice. Thanks for the discussion.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
Quote:

j/c...

He was the expected veteran BACK UP signing about a month ago when Kyle took over as the OC. So this rumor/whatever it is - does not come as a surprise. It makes more sense than Schaub rumors that were abound.

He knows the Offense. He knows the NFL. At this stage of his career he has accepted a veteran backup role and can help a young QB as well as WRs get acclimated with the new Offense.

This signing would not change any plans regarding the draft and the QB position. It is to fill a back up void by our release of Weeden and Campbell. Which leaves one more hole to fill - and I expect it to be done from the draft!

Rookie - Grossman, with Hoyer the projected Starter. I would like that for our QB position in 2014!

This would be a good signing hope it happens quickly!
jmho

Hopefully this signing would lean more toward Offense Instructor for Hoyer and the new guy more than backup. That would put Shanahan's scheme on the fast track and not cause a $10 million hit to the cap.

GO BROWNS!
Legend
Legend
I have a problem picking up any guy you wouldn't want on the field. I mean generally. I do understand taking a guy that has experience in the system we intend to run. I can see that having merit.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
As a 3rd stringer, we could do a lot worse *See: Bruce Gradkowski.*

It's pretty clear that it's going to be Hoyer, Rookie, and Grossman.

you had a good run Hank.
Legend
Legend
J/C

A good pickup. Fit's in well with the plans. Plus he knows how to deal with hostile homies like we have in Clev.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

Just because it has happened in the past doesn't mean it should continue going forward.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Just because it has happened in the past doesn't mean it should continue going forward.

Some day I hope we can become a team that doesn't even care about the backup QB.

Colts, Saints.. Teams with Franchise QBs, rarely ever put stock in their backup, because they KNOW their QB will be there..

The Pats are a team that values a backup as a future trade piece because they KNOW Brady will be there (when BKP isn't around)

We shouldn't care, or even have a 3rd QB... And the backup should be a guy that never sees the field...

Some day.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

The Pats are a team that values a backup as a future trade piece because they KNOW Brady will be there (when BKP isn't around)

I don't know if this is true. They traded Cassel because Brady was coming back and they didn't want to let him go for nothing. They straight up cut Hoyer and are pretty much refusing to trade Mallett (who will be unrestricted after this season).

I think they just got lucky with Cassel and got what they could for him.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Got to side with Mac here n disagree with you and Dave.

Okay.

Quote:

There are so many things involved with learning a new offense... Timing, reads, teaching the WRs - improvising and how bout we do it this way due to the individual personnel of our team.

Having a 10 year veteran who is familiar with the playbook and the LANGUAGE...we don't want Hoyer to know it...we want him to execute it. And you both seem to totally ignore the fact that its not just HOYER that has to learn it. The WRs. the OL the RBs all have to get in sync.

I'm not saying that there are. As for the other players that have to be in sync, that's what the coaches are there to do. The WRs coaches are to get the WRs on the same page. The RBs coach is supposed to get the RBs on the same page. So on and so forth. It'll be Shanahan's job to makes sure they're all coordinated.

Quote:

Yes we have a coaches. But after the meetings and the players are by themselves and go and view film of the days practice...do you not understand how important it is having a Grossman there to help Hoyer and the rookie and the WRs even on how to execute it better.

I don't think that Hoyer would need Grossman's help. You do. I don't even think we need to bring Grossman in for any reason unless you want to add him to the coaching staff as the asst. QBs coach or something. But he shouldn't be taking up a roster spot.

Quote:

Its all about having a finished product at its best GAME 1. For you to state what can he teach HOYER...sorry but from that statement and thought process alone had you at a loss for this discussion. Again I don't say these thing to be arrogant or anything but you actually believe this or you wouldn't state it. Just hoping to correct the thought process. Hopefully you won't take this as an insult. If you wish to not keep an open mind to it. Trust me it won't offend me at all. That would be your choice. Thanks for the discussion.

Okay. If Grossman is brought in to 'tutor' Hoyer, that's a black mark on the front office in my view. Fact is, Hoyer doesn't need Grossman's help and Grossman can't unseat Hoyer for the starting job. He simply wouldn't be a competition. Tanney would provide more competition for the starting job than Grossman.

I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
j/c
Big waste of roster spot. If RG3&OUT is an expert it's in what not to do.

B
Legend
Legend
B
I am not so sure I want to push Hoyer this year. Let the drafted rookie do that next year.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

Quote:

What are you saying? That the odds of it NOT happening are now in our favor?

I'm sorry, but I think most of the people liking the Sexy Rexy move are people who never really followed his career.

Furthermore, I believe that him knowing Shanny's system is nice, but him being an inferior qb to JC is more important.

E
Legend
Legend
E
that's what the coaches are there to do.

I don't know how to say this without it coming out arrogant or condescending...if you knew me you wouldn't think it - but its when you say something like that I come away with the notion that you just don't understand what goes on and how every good team functions and what Leadership is all about. Especially in our case of starting a new system.

NEED...do we NEED a Grossman - no I don't think we "NEED" him but if we did sign him. I understand why and it only can benefit us. But If you run an Out pattern in every system there is a different timing issue. Grossman can speed up the process of figuring that out. He can walk over to the WR and give him a pointer on getting it right in this system. It is what you expect from 10 year veterans. Sometimes you just look at a guy who in all probabilities will be the #3 QB and view him in terms of being the starter.

IF WE OR ANY TEAM IN THE NFL is down to their #3 QB to RELY ON to get into and deep Post Season play...FORGEDABOUT IT!!! you are done. I don't care what our history is... If we lose #1 and then the rookie who would jump to #2 and we are down to our #3 and the kid we pull from Practice Squad...We are done like any team in the NFL IS!!!

jmho and the reality of it all. That is when we can know that we are a good team and have some continuity...is rely on #1 to start most the games and maybe a temp game here n there from the #2.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Legend
Legend

He is a third string quarterback. You have a starter - Hoyer, a rookie to develop pick four or pick 26, Grossman unless he gets beat out by Haney.

You go to any roster that is what you get for third string a guy like Grossman. A guy who can finish a game or be an emergency starter.

He may be on a team for a year. No big deal.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns and Rex Grossman

Link Copied to Clipboard