Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Quote:

Agree.That team looked completely different when Hoyer came in.They had the look of winners,that we can do this and bring it on kind of attitude.He just has that quality,that stats can't measure...the "it" factor.

Exactly my point.While I do need to see a lot more from him and he needs to stay healthy but he definitely energized the team.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
j/c

Cleveland Browns' Brian Hoyer takes reps, moves well on surgically-repaired knee during minicamp

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Browns quarterback Brian Hoyer took part in drills on the opening day of minicamp Tuesday and looked quick and strong despite undergoing surgery to repair a torn right anterior cruciate in October.

Hoyer's footwork on three- and five-step drops looked tremendous, and no one would've ever known he had undergone major reconstructive surgery just over six months ago had it not been for the brace on his right knee.

In the 15 minutes or so of practice open to the media, Hoyer moved briskly through passing drills, threw with good velocity and jogged effortlessly back to his spot between reps.

He never favored the knee and seemed to be serving notice that he's ready to pick up where he left off last season.

He practiced quickly and spent time after reps talking to receivers such as free agent pickup Nate Burleson about routes.

Hoyer looked like a quarterback in complete control of his team, and one determined to send a message that the Browns needn't be in a rush to draft a starting quarterback.

Free agent quarterbacks Vince Young and Tyler Thigpen, who are getting tryouts during camp, also took reps, along with Alex Tanney.

Hoyer, who underwent surgery Oct. 18, might be somewhat limited during this camp, but looks like he'll be full-go by the start of the season.

General manager Ray Farmer said Monday he's excited about where Hoyer is in his rehab right now.

Hoyer, who went 3-0 last season and tore the ACL Oct. 3 against the Bills, will be available this afternoon after practice.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ss..._medium=twitter

Tony Grossi ‏@TonyGrossi · 2h
QB Brian Hoyer wore brace on right knee, but was agile and assertive with everything he did. Taking ownership of the team from Day 1.

Last edited by pblack18707; 04/29/14 02:24 PM.

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It will be very interesting to see how Hoyer pans out this coming season. Will he be able to play the same way he did last season, or will he fall back to his backup QB status? And if he does, who will replace him?

-I wish the season started sooner!

I know I can speak for a lot of us when I say when he played last year, it was electric. FUN. Just what a Browns junkie like me craves. We were good again.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I have to say, Hoyer is really becoming a leader. I've read interviews with players and heard many reports of him working extra hard and the players are noticing it.He may not end up the starter, but he sure is acting the part. He is focused and being a leader. Those are the qualities you want. I also get the feeling that he is very respected by his teammates.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/108583...ing-quarterback

BEREA, Ohio -- Brian Hoyer was back on the field with his Cleveland Browns teammates Tuesday for the first time since he tore a knee ligament in October.

More from ESPN.com

Browns coach Mike Pettine would prefer not to start a rookie at quarterback, regardless of how high he's been drafted, writes Pat McManamon. Story

Hoyer was limited in what he could do and did not take part in team drills, but his attitude toward the most vexing position on the Browns was clear.

"Until someone tells me otherwise," he said, "I feel like I'm the starter for this team."

Hoyer hurt his knee in his third start for the Browns, a Thursday night win over Buffalo. He had won his first two starts, and seemed to be grabbing hold of the starting job.

But he hurt his knee when he slid and was hit by Kiko Alonso. Surgery followed two weeks later.

Some six months later, Hoyer was active and assertive on the field, clearly acting like he belonged as the team's starter.

"Assertive is a good way to describe him," tight end Jordan Cameron said.

Coach Mike Pettine said Hoyer is ahead of schedule, and he expects Hoyer will be full-go for training camp, if not for the full-team minicamp in June. Hoyer is eager to do everything.

"I know we don't play a game until August, but I also know that in order to be the guy in August you put the time in in the offseason," he said.

Among the other quarterbacks on the team are veterans Vince Young and Tyler Thigpen, signed on a tryout basis through minicamp.

Pettine said the team would likely sign one of the two after the three-day camp ends.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Cleveland Browns in 'win now' business is why they hope quarterback Brian Hoyer can start -- Terry Pluto

http://www.cleveland.com/pluto/index.ssf/2014/04/cleveland_browns_in_win_now_bu.html

By Terry Pluto, The Plain Dealer
on April 30, 2014 at 6:45 AM, updated April 30, 2014 at 7:18 AM

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Do the Browns need a rookie quarterback?

Yes.

Does he have to start?

No.

In fact, Mike Pettine prefers to open the season with a veteran under center -- and that makes sense.

A lot of sense.

As the Browns coach said after Tuesday's minicamp: "(Starting a rookie quarterback) is something you hope to avoid because I think you can set that player back and set your team back while we are in the 'win now' business. As history has shown, I think it's (win now) very hard to do with a rookie quarterback."

The Browns are in the "win now" business.

While intentionally keeping the definition of "win now" vague, the goal obviously is to step out of that 5-11, 4-12 ditch that has trapped the franchise for the last six years.

Pettine also talked about how he was part of teams where Kyle Boller, Joe Flacco, E.J. Manuel and Mark Sanchez started as rookies.

It's very obvious he'd prefer to postpone some of the growing pains (and early losses) by putting the ball in Brian Hoyer's hands to open the season.

Everything is always subject to change. Hoyer is making an excellent recovery from ACL surgery, but he's still coming back from major knee surgery. It was uplifting for the Browns to see him moving well and not wearing a brace during some of the drills at Tuesday's practice.
Two years ago, Matt Flynn was supposed to be the starter for Seattle.

The Seahawks picked Russell Wilson in the third round -- and he won the starting job by the end of training camp.

No one with the Seahawks saw that happening on draft day, or even when camp opened in 2012.

So it's possible a rookie starts for the Browns.

But don't bet on it, even if the Browns grab a rookie quarterback with one of their two picks in the first round.

General Manager Ray Farmer and Pettine are both rookies in their current jobs. But they have been in the league for a long time. They also weren't asleep when the team president Joe Banner, general manager Mike Lombardi along with coach Rob Chudzinski were all fired after one season with the Browns.

They know what Owner Jimmy Haslam wants -- a team that is competitive.

That's why four of the nine veteran free agents signed to contract are at least 31 years old.

The two most expensive acquisitions are Karlos Dansby (32 years old) and Donte Whitner (28 but in his 10th NFL season).

Receiver Nate Burleson (32) has played 12 years. Offensive lineman Paul McQuistan (31) has played nine years.

The goal is to put a legitimate NFL team on the field right now.

And that's why Farmer has brought in veteran quarterbacks Vince Young and Tyler Thigpen for tryouts this week. It's why they may look at other experienced quarterbacks this season.

And finally, it's why they are hoping Hoyer can be a viable NFL starter.

That way, when they do draft a quarterback -- he will not be forced into action right away.

As Pettine said, "We're in the 'win now' business." Seldom does that happen with a rookie under center.

(end)

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Of course they'd like him to be able to start and win.. Hell, that makes life for them much easier all the way around. They'd have the luxury of drafting a guy lower that needs time to develop for a year or so and if nothing else, if Hoyer is successful, they have freedom to do just that.

Great situation to be in

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Of course they'd like him to be able to start and win.. Hell, that makes life for them much easier all the way around. They'd have the luxury of drafting a guy lower that needs time to develop for a year or so and if nothing else, if Hoyer is successful, they have freedom to do just that.

Great situation to be in

The problem with that is, the draft comes before any of that can be determined.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Great situation to be in

The problem with that is, the draft comes before any of that can be determined.

I don't view it as a problem. I think they still have to find the long term answer no matter what.

With Hoyer starting, they have the flexibility to groom a guy instead of throwing him into the fire..

this can be a positive.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

They'd have the luxury of drafting a guy lower that needs time to develop for a year or so and if nothing else, if Hoyer is successful, they have freedom to do just that.

My point is, they don't know if that is a luxury they are afforded.

what I'm saying is if you knew Hoyer would play well and be healthy, yes, you have the luxury of drafting lower and bringing a guy along.

With that factor being a complete unknown, if you see a QB you really want, you need to take him. Now I'm no QB guru, so I won't say there is "the guy" on their draft board. But saying if Hoyer plays well, you have "the luxury of drafting a guy lower", when we simply don't know if that "luxury" exists.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Browns are trying to sign QB Brian Hoyer to a contract extension, per sources. Hoyer is headed into last year of his deal.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter

Tackles are tackles.
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Browns are trying to sign QB Brian Hoyer to a contract extension, per sources. Hoyer is headed into last year of his deal.

Love to hear it. Will be a brilliant move if he plays well.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Love to hear it. Will be a brilliant move if he plays well.

His agent is on record saying something along the lines of ..... Hoyer would like to remain with the Browns as the starter. If he is to be the backup, and he would only be a backup elsewhere, then he would rather stay here as the backup. However, if he were a backup here, but possibly a starter elsewhere, then he would rather be free to pursue a starting job.

However, maybe a long term deal with a solid salary could convince him to change his mind.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
The ball is in Hoyer's court on that front.

He's the favorite to start the season under center. If he plays well, he'll stay there.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Hoyer says he'll be ready

to hold the clip board

I hope Hoyer beats out Johnny. It means we have something good going on.
if not ...Heres Johnny

Joe Thomas #73
All Pro
All Pro
I don't see the extension being done until later in the season. Hoyer needs to know where he stands because backup money and starter money are two totally different animals. Can't blame him a bit for waiting for the money phone to ring.

"Let people think this is a dumpster fire," - Mike Pettine
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
j/c

wonder if they can do a deal like grecko got. paid starter money if he is starting and backup money if he lose the starting job?

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Tim Couch? Derek Anderson? Brian Hoyer? Who are the top 5 Cleveland Browns quarterbacks since 1999?

Who are your top 5 Browns quarterbacks since 1999? Vote in our poll below (you can select five)

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2014/06/tim_couch_derek_anderson_brian.html

Brian Hoyer: Fans were teased with small sample of what Brian Hoyer could do as the starting quarterback. He only started three games last season, but went undefeated. Granted, Brandon Weeden saved a win against the Buffalo Bills.
It's hard to put Hoyer so high on the list after only two full games, but he did provide hope and stability for the Browns before tearing his ACL.
His shining moment was leading the Browns to a win over the Minnesota Vikings on the road, throwing three touchdown passes in a single game. Something Weeden never did in 19 starts.
Hoyer is still on the roster and will compete with Manziel for the starting job. If he doesn't win, the Browns will have No. 21 and another name to add to the list.

-------------------------

he is third on the poll. DA is first and couch second.

N
Legend
Legend
N
it's depressing enough to have to pick 1 "best" QB since '99, let alone 5 of them.

#gmstrong
S
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
S
Quote:

I don't see the extension being done until later in the season. Hoyer needs to know where he stands because backup money and starter money are two totally different animals. Can't blame him a bit for waiting for the money phone to ring.

Although even if it is in the $6 million/year range which is what I'm hearing on the radio, that would be great for the Browns even if/when he is the backup.

Hoyer was a backup to Brady for several years and knows what it takes to use that mentality for the betterment of the team (and the starting QB). With having Manziel, it's really not a matter of 'if' but 'when' Manziel gets his shot to be the starter. So many teams are plagued with having horrible backups. Even if Manziel seizes the starting job, it'd be awesome to have to security of Hoyer as the backup.

If Manziel becomes our franchise QB, Hoyer could be valuable in the trading market, kind of the same vein as the 49ers and the Alex Smith/Colin Kaepernick situation.

JMHO
P
Legend
Legend
P
I don't believe you touch paying a guy 6 mil as a back up when you just drafted a guy as your future starter. You don't spend a first round draft pick on someone to be your future back up.

#gmstrong
F
Legend
Legend
F
Quote:

it's depressing enough to have to pick 1 "best" QB since '99, let alone 5 of them.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Hoyer says he'll be ready

to hold the clip board

I hope Hoyer beats out Johnny. It means we have something good going on.
if not ...Heres Johnny

If manziel beats out Hoyer for the job, Great, then he should have it. but to start him because he was a first round pick? I don't think so.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
D
Legend
Legend
D
HELL NO!

I've been preaching it since Pettine hinted on it... let there be fair competition, and let the best man win and earn the spot. If that's Brian, awesome... if that's Johnny, then super duper. Whoever it is, I will cross my fingers it was because they earned it!

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

He's the favorite to start the season under center. If he plays well, he'll stay there.

I agree, but it will have to be a incentive laden deal. I say give him starter money if he is starting

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

HELL NO!

I've been preaching it since Pettine hinted on it... let there be fair competition, and let the best man win and earn the spot. If that's Brian, awesome... if that's Johnny, then super duper. Whoever it is, I will cross my fingers it was because they earned it!

It is going to be VERY interesting who starts the season in Pittsburgh. I'm thinking Hoyer, as long as his knee is ready.... If we lose our first three games then after the bye week in goes Johnny Football. That's my best guess.

I wish NFL football started this Sunday. I AM READY!!!

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Tim Couch? Derek Anderson? Brian Hoyer? Who are the top 5 Cleveland Browns quarterbacks since 1999?

Who are your top 5 Browns quarterbacks since 1999? Vote in our poll below (you can select five)

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2014/06/tim_couch_derek_anderson_brian.html

Brian Hoyer: Fans were teased with small sample of what Brian Hoyer could do as the starting quarterback. He only started three games last season, but went undefeated. Granted, Brandon Weeden saved a win against the Buffalo Bills.
It's hard to put Hoyer so high on the list after only two full games, but he did provide hope and stability for the Browns before tearing his ACL.
His shining moment was leading the Browns to a win over the Minnesota Vikings on the road, throwing three touchdown passes in a single game. Something Weeden never did in 19 starts.
Hoyer is still on the roster and will compete with Manziel for the starting job. If he doesn't win, the Browns will have No. 21 and another name to add to the list.

-------------------------

he is third on the poll. DA is first and couch second.

That's like picking the top 5 diseases or the top 5 terrorist attacks of the last decade.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

You think these guys are ready for the heat they will take if Johnny sits the next four years? For completely blowing a first round pick? I can't wait to see how the stadium reacts when Hoyer throws an interception. "Johnny" chants and boos will rain down on Hoyer very quickly. Everyone's hope is now placed on Johnny Football. Hoyer has a very very short leash if he does start the season.

This is set up to play out a lot like the Quinn/Anderson debacle. IF Hoyer plays good enough to win 9 or 10 games, then next year he will have "earned" the job. But any talk of trading Johnny will be quashed. We need him sitting on the bench don't you know. He wins games for us with his ass planted on the pine. We don't need another player on the field. We're all set, as is.... then we go 6-10 or 7-9.

IF Hoyer is the man, then it was pretty stupid to trade up in the 1st round to take a backup QB. Not when they KNEW that Gordon was out for the season. One true weapon to help whatever QB is under center, and he's gonzo. So instead of getting some help for Hoyer, they took a backup? Traded up into the first to get a BACKUP for the next 4 years? Man, I don't see that. Johnny HAS to play and he has to play WELL or this pick will absolutely be considered a bust. And the media will crucify the front office.

Worst thing to happen to this franchise in quite some time was Hoyer getting hurt. Had he played out the season we would have had a much better understanding of what kind of QB he is.

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
T
Legend
Legend
T
A guy under contract for less than a year, and less and less time going forward, has zero trade value, and the only value you get for him is a supplemental pick if he leaves via free agency.
So attempting to sign Hoyer is a solid move for the Browns on a couple levels. Are they signing him to keep him, or signing him for when it's time for him to move on.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I don't believe you touch paying a guy 6 mil as a back up when you just drafted a guy as your future starter. You don't spend a first round draft pick on someone to be your future back up.

I say 6 million is to much BUT you give him a nice contract for the next 2 or 3 years and tell Johnny, if he wants to be the starter he has to prove he is better.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Legend
Legend
Brian Hoyer's agent says a contract extension with the Cleveland Browns before November would be 'very difficult'

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2014/06/brian_hoyers_agent_says_a_cont.html

By Mary Kay Cabot, Northeast Ohio Media Group on June 30, 2014 at 7:16 PM, updated July 01, 2014 at 7:36 AM

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- The Browns are trying to extend the contract of quarterback Brian Hoyer, who's base salary is only $1 million this season, but his agent acknowledges that it will be tough to pull off before November given Hoyer's uncertain role on the team.

"It will be a very difficult deal to do,'' agent Joe Linta told NFL.com. "We're always open to talking with the Browns, but we're content to wait and see what happens down the road."

ESPN's Adam Schefter first reported Monday that extension talks have taken place.

Linta also told profootballtalk.com that two dates are looming regarding a new deal: November 1 and the end of the season. The feeling is that by November, Hoyer will know if he's the Browns starting quarterback or the backup to Johnny Manziel, whom the Browns traded up from No. 26 to No. 22 to draft on May 8.

And if he starts and plays well, that will mean a bigger payday at the end of the season.

If the Browns do extend Hoyer before the end of the season, they'll likely look at a couple of contracts that were signed this year for quarterbacks who may or may not be long-term starters. Jacksonville's Chad Henne signed a two-year deal worth $8 million, including $4.5 million guaranteed. And Minnesota's Matt Cassel, who will battle rookie Teddy Bridgewater and Christian Ponder for the starting job, received a two-year deal in March worth $10 million.

But those deals are a far cry from what some of the top quarterbacks in the NFL are averaging per year: Green Bay's Aaron Rodgers, $22 million; Atlanta's Matt Ryan, $20.75 million; and Baltimore's Joe Flacco, $20.1 million.

The other reason it's tricky to do an extension right now is that Hoyer is coming off a torn anterior cruciate ligament and hasn't even been cleared for full 11-on-11s yet. He's looked healthy in spring practices and is expected to be full-go by the start of training camp July 26th, but no one really knows how the knee will respond until he experiences full contact.

Conversely, Hoyer might want to re-do the deal and earn a large chunk of guaranteed money to protect himself against another major injury.

As it stands, he'll make $1.25 million in 2014, including his $250,000 roster bonus paid in March. He's also set to make another $1.15 million this year in incentives, most likely based on playing time.

Last offseason, he signed a two-year deal worth $1.965 million -- but with only $250,000 guaranteed.

One thing is for certain: Hoyer will head into training camp as the No. 1 quarterback, and it's his job to lose.

"Brian had been here for those seven, eight weeks before the draft even started,'' coach Mike Pettine said at the conclusion of minicamp. "That was essentially a head start, and I don't think it's insurmountable. Brian is securely ahead of (Manziel) right now, but we will compete and we will decide.

"The issue for us as a staff is finding the right time to name a starter. If you wait too late, then nobody's ready for the opener. If you do it too soon, then it wasn't a true competition."

Hoyer told cleveland.com the day after the draft that he hasn't contemplated going elsewhere with Johnny Football is on board.

"No, because the grass is always greener,'' he said. "You never know how it's going to be and I'm not going to shy away from anything. ..."I'm in this thing and I never want to leave Cleveland. "This is where I was born and raised and being from here doesn't make me the best quarterback for this team. Being the best quarterback makes me the best quarterback for this team. I don't want any sympathy votes because I'm from Cleveland and I'm a local guy. That's not what this is about. This is about putting the best player on the field.''

Manziel made it clear at a Play 60 youth clinic in Berea last week that he wants to be the starter on opening day in Pittsburgh Sept. 7.

"Absolutely,'' he said. "I want to play. That's what anybody wants to do that's been a starter in the past and been playing. They want to play. Obviously I'm very competitive and I remember my redshirt year when I didn't play. It's tough to sit there but at the same time there's a lot of knowledge that I learned from Ryan Tannehill so will it be the end of the world if that's not the case? No. I think you take it in stride and you learn a lot from your situation and you make the most of what situation you're in.

"To say I don't want to be the starter would be ridiculous. I absolutely want to start. That's my goal and hopefully I can achieve that. If not, it's not the end of the world."

(end)

P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Quote:

I say 6 million is to much BUT you give him a nice contract for the next 2 or 3 years and tell Johnny, if he wants to be the starter he has to prove he is better.

And I believe that's where the problem lies. If Hoyer believes he will end up being the starter for the season, he may feel he is worth the 6 mil and probably is. If Johnny Manziel busts and Hoyer is the long term starter, he may be worth even more. I'm quite sure that's how the Hoyer camp feels when it comes to negotiating.

Now from the aspect of the FO, you drafted Johnny Football for the future. To move up the way they did to draft him, it's obvious they feel he will be our starting QB at some point. If they feel that point is some time this year, or even by the beginning of next season, why would you extend Hoyer at the kind of money they would want?

I can see both sides of the coin here and understand why reaching a deal could be very difficult.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
good points Pit.

But lets says we give BH $6 mil a year for next three years. Not bad money for a starting QB in this league.

And what if he does not start? 6 mil for a back up is high but when countered with the rookie cointracts of JM and probably CS then the total pay out for our QB's is small, though skewed.

What if JM studs out ? BH at $6 mil to a team lookng for him to start is a good deal for that team. If no takers we bite the bullet for a few yearts then re-up him at a more friendly amount just in time to re-do JM.

If JM flames out we are back at $6 mil for a good QB.

I say give him his contract and allow him a right of first refusal on a trade, so that if we are looking to move him he can go to a team looking to him as a starter.

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
P
Legend
Legend
P
I'm not saying that doesn't sound good in theory, but I'd say that in the Hoyer camp, they would most likely believe if he ends up being the starter, he's worth more than that 6 mil.

It's quite a gamble for them to take. But a player should believe he is the best. If that is their belief, in their minds, Hoyer will start over Manziel which will raise his value by quite a bit. So the question becomes, settle for a lower amount now, or look for a much better deal a little later.

I believe that is why they seem to be tending to be happy with not being in a hurry to make a deal.

#gmstrong
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

And I believe that's where the problem lies. If Hoyer believes he will end up being the starter for the season, he may feel he is worth the 6 mil and probably is. If Johnny Manziel busts and Hoyer is the long term starter, he may be worth even more. I'm quite sure that's how the Hoyer camp feels when it comes to negotiating.

Now from the aspect of the FO, you drafted Johnny Football for the future. To move up the way they did to draft him, it's obvious they feel he will be our starting QB at some point. If they feel that point is some time this year, or even by the beginning of next season, why would you extend Hoyer at the kind of money they would want?

I can see both sides of the coin here and understand why reaching a deal could be very difficult.

I don't know why any of us would get hung up on the money thing. The Browns have the CAP room so why worry.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I am literally done talking cap. It goes up every season, we never really know what market value is etc.

The only time I am going to cry cap is when we re-sign or sign guys that I think aren't very good or worth their paycheck.

Legend
Legend
Sounds like a dumb, needless move by the agent - unless the agent is hoping to hit free agency. There's no reason that he can't write a deal with performance escalators that covers all the bases.

He's trying to play hardball, but he doesn't realize he's the only one on the field.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

Sounds like a dumb, needless move by the agent - unless the agent is hoping to hit free agency. There's no reason that he can't write a deal with performance escalators that covers all the bases.

He's trying to play hardball, but he doesn't realize he's the only one on the field.

same agent that convinced Flacco to ride out the season on the Ravens and got lucky how things fell for him.

#gmstrong
F
Legend
Legend
F
Quote:

I'm not saying that doesn't sound good in theory, but I'd say that in the Hoyer camp, they would most likely believe if he ends up being the starter, he's worth more than that 6 mil.

And as the Browns FO, I pull out the list of starting QBs in Cleveland since '99 and say, "The label 'starter' doesn't automatically mean you're Peyton Manning or Tom Brady"

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Sadly I believe if Hoyer can pull 8-8, he'd be worth 10+ mil in the FA market.

As has been mentioned, it's the Flacco thing. He waited it out and his contract paid off for waiting. If you look at what Cassel and some QB's who only won a few games pulled in on the FA market, I believe that may be a risk he and his agent are willing to take.

#gmstrong
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Hoyer says he'll be ready

Link Copied to Clipboard