Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I honestly think they were hoping for Evans but TB F'd that up, hence the minor trade up.

Happy with Gilbert as I was hoping for Evans and Dennard in the 1st.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

I think that we might even pass on a QB at 26. (If we also have a deal with the Saints to trade to 32)

I wonder what 26 will be.

xavier. would be my guess... or wish lol

what about Lee?

Could be interesting.

Maybe Ha Ha Clinton Dix if he continues to drop?

Why do people think that the Eagles are taking Manziel when they have one of the best QB in the league (last year) in Foles? That would make zero sense.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

I think that we might even pass on a QB at 26. (If we also have a deal with the Saints to trade to 32)

I wonder what 26 will be.

I'm thinking Carr at #26.

Legend
Legend
I said that I thought that we would take either Bortles or Carr ....... but Bridgewater is still there as well.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Carr will be available @ 35 ... JMHO

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
who do we want?

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
J/C

I love the pick, and I love that we got another 1st rounder next year.

I also love the Steeler fans wanted him or Fuller and got neither. Their corners suck.

Gilbert is a good move and now Skrine can cover the slot. That is a very good set of corners.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I said that I wanted a CB and QB with the first 2 picks, and preferably 2 CB in the 1st 2 rounds.

Might just get there.

Gotta be able to pass the ball and stop the pass in today's NFL.

W
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
W
Didn't love it at first but now that we have Gilbert, Manziel and 1-2 top 15 picks next year, i'll take it!

I'm coming home, I'm coming home, tell the world I'm coming home
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Love the pick

Legend
Legend
I would love another CB with our next pick. That would go so far towards fixing the defense. Imagine 4 quality CB to battle the 4 or 5 receiver sets we face.

W
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
W
The value will be on O-line and D-line if we stay at #35

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

I would love another CB with our next pick. That would go so far towards fixing the defense. Imagine 4 quality CB to battle the 4 or 5 receiver sets we face.

we still need ILB, S, G, WR2, TE2, RB2, ILB3, and probably even OLB4 before we start thinking of drafting a 4th or 5th CB (McFadden may come on his 2nd year)

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I like the fact that there are still some damn good CB available.

I don't love any ILB left on the board in the 1st, and that is a position I see as our next biggest need. I would be OK with a WR like Lee or Benjamin. Imagine having 2 receivers names Benjamin ...... who are such completely different sized players. lol

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
j/c

I'd imagine Mike Pettine is REALLY happy right now. He loves his corners, and he has two really good ones now.

you had a good run Hank.
N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

I don't love any ILB left on the board in the 1st, and that is a position I see as our next biggest need. I would be OK with a WR like Lee or Benjamin. Imagine having 2 receivers names Benjamin ....... who are such completely different sized players. lol

I think Van Noy would be a beast ILB next to Dansby and WOLB when we go 4-3

but, i'm hoping Marquise Lee

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

I don't love any ILB left on the board in the 1st, and that is a position I see as our next biggest need. I would be OK with a WR like Lee or Benjamin. Imagine having 2 receivers names Benjamin ....... who are such completely different sized players. lol

I think Van Noy would be a beast ILB next to Dansby and WOLB when we go 4-3

but, i'm hoping Marquise Lee

I really like Lee as well ..... but I don't know if we'll be able to get him.

Legend
Legend
Unless the Seahawks take him or someone trades up he'll be there when we pick...

<><

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Agreed. If the Browns trade up it will be for Moses imo. I hope we stay put and draft Lee in the 2nd, and Mewort in the 3rd.

Against logic,the most effective armor is willful ignorance.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Unless the Seahawks take him or someone trades up he'll be there when we pick...

That's my concern. I think that the Hqwks could trade down with a team wanting a QB, and maybe entice the Texans into a trade, and that would allow them to trade down a spot, and still take Lee in the 2nd.

OK, Minnesota is on the clock. That's a QB.

We then have the Texans, Redskins, and us in the 2nd tomorrow. Lee might just be there for us.

N
Legend
Legend
N
Quote:

that's what i'm thinking. Houston - Bridgewater, Washington - defense

seattle did lose Tate, so i'm a little worried, but Lawrence is there and they need a DE too.

#gmstrong
W
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
W
Quote:

Quote:

That's my concern. I think that the Hqwks could trade down with a team wanting a QB, and maybe entice the Texans into a trade, and that would allow them to trade down a spot, and still take Lee in the 2nd.

OK, Minnesota is on the clock. That's a QB.

We then have the Texans, Redskins, and us in the 2nd tomorrow. Lee might just be there for us.

Everyone seems to be on Lee's nuts but 6 teams passed on him and he's had a ton of injury issues and ran slow....Not sure about him

I get he was supposed to be top 10 player at beginning of year but so was a lot of other guys that are going to be going in the 2nd, 3rd or later

Legend
Legend
I was worried that the Texans would trade up, fearing that another team would jump them for their preferred QB, and that would leave the Hawks in position to grab Lee 1st thing tomorrow.

Bridgewater closes out the 1st round to the Vikings.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Wish more people was talking about Gilbert.

Browns have a secondary that could rival Seattle. They have ball hawks, nasty hitters, great cover guys...

Team is coming together. This guy is electrifying.

you had a good run Hank.
O
Legend
Legend
O
Quote:

Browns have a secondary that could rival Seattle. They have ball hawks, nasty hitters, great cover guys...

I wish I could talk more about him, I've been so fixated on Manziel or Watkins at #4 I don't know a thing about him. At first glance I'm thinking Joe Haden 2.0 but I might be way off.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Quote:

Quote:

I wish I could talk more about him, I've been so fixated on Manziel or Watkins at #4 I don't know a thing about him. At first glance I'm thinking Joe Haden 2.0 but I might be way off.

Much better ball hawk than Haden. He will be a great coverage corner. Not physical, but a pure ball hawk.

No need to worry about Watkins, I don't think he'll be a very good player in the NFL. Plus, they got a freaking 1st round pick for it. That's AMAZING value.

you had a good run Hank.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Agreed. Our back 7 is drastically improved over last year, Gilbert and Haden give us two #1 CBs and Hitner is a punisher that doesn't kill us in coverage like Ward did. Combine that with the huge upgrade at the nickel with Skrine moving there. We still need some ILB depth but much better than last year.

Love the pick.

Against logic,the most effective armor is willful ignorance.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Gilbert has great range, fluid hips, plays with nose over toes. I wasnt thrilled with the pick cause i thought our greatest needs were offense especially with Manziel still on board. Remind me to never play poker with Farmer, he drew a royal flush with Gilbert, Manziel and likely a top 10 pick in next years draft.

C
1st String
1st String
C
I would rather have Watkins hands down,but it's cool that our secondary should be set with Gilbert on board now.I would say we had a hella wild ride today,and if we can snag another impact player,then this team is going to make some noise soon.

W
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
W
Quote:

Agreed. Our back 7 is drastically improved over last year, Gilbert and Haden give us two #1 CBs and Hitner is a punisher that doesn't kill us in coverage like Ward did. Combine that with the huge upgrade at the nickel with Skrine moving there. We still need some ILB depth but much better than last year.

Love the pick.

Haden free agent after this year right? Good insurance in case we can't sign him...especially having 2 firsts next year, we may let him walk and grab one. Not saying I want it but something to consider especially if McFadden actually can play

P
All Pro
All Pro
P
I have been wanting a top cb in the draft to pair with Joe .... and we got a 1st next year. I'm content and happy with the results.

Everybody just needs to remember 1 thing...cbs take 1 year to adjust coming out of college. Usually by the end of the year they start to make their impact.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Quote:

For cheap? We got a future first!

I'm tired of the future. Doesn't help this year.

That's quite such a short-sighted and 'instant gratification' attitude to have.

Legend
Legend
I was talking to my brother about how Richard Sherman's deal (14m a year) is great for the Browns, because even Haden knows he's not as good a Sherman...

Getting Gilbert is great, because he's good, and also our negotiations with Haden just drifted a LOT more towards our side...

We're ganna find out soon what Joe Haden really wants...

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
My phone blew up when we traded down, texts and twitter, fellow Browns fans all whining about putting it off until next year, etc. and I asked each one of them who they wanted at 4. Most said "I don't know" and others said Watkins.

My take on having the #4 pick all along was that we needed to move it. The players deemed worthy of #4 were Clowney (no way he fell to 4), Mack (OLB not exactly a need, and as to moving him to ILB .. do you pick a ILB at #4? Do you pick a guy at #4 and change positions?), Robinson/Matthews (same deal, LT not quite a need, do you pick a RT at 4?), and Watkins/Evans (we have a WR1, do you pick a WR2 at #4? Especially with so many good WR in the draft?).

If forced to stay at #4 I would have gone Evans, especially since we were targeting JFB as well.

Moving down 5 spots for a 1st and 4th next year (we already had a ton of picks this year) is a great move, and then landing the top CB in the process.

Well done.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

2007 was the last time we had an exciting season. I'd hardley call waiting 7 years for this team to play playoff caliber football an "instant gratification" attitude.

[Linked Image from mypsn.eu.playstation.com]
E
Legend
Legend
E
WR the most over rated position in football! man even the experts get too fixated on them...so at least you all are in good company.

Let me tell you this. WE GAVE AWAY THE RIGHTS TO SAMMY WATKINS, Hands down the best WR in this draft! There is no way we were Targeting a WR. We were targeting ONE GUY, not a well he ain't there for us to pick so we will take so n so!

Our guy was Gilbert! We traded back and got a 1st n 4th and to make sure Vikings weren't tempted on trading back too far which they didn't want to - for a 5th rounder who will find it hard making this roster. TO GET OUR GUY! The best CB in this draft bar none!

What also btw was brilliant on this move by design or just as I've been saying pure DESTINY. Once we took Gilbert. It started a run on CBs and DBs - and we had ours already and the best of the bunch while in the next 13 picks or so...well you count them...each one taken dropped another prospect to us at 26...soon to be 22 and #35. Mistake or not...Brilliant!!!!

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I was a Bridgewater guy, but I'm no GM. Gathering a 1st and a 4th (which aint horse feed) was beyond my expectation. They got a top rated CB and 2 picks for next year. That's plain robbery.

I don't know what skill set they see in JohnnyFB. I think it may have been Haslam wanting some marketing, but I know they've made statements about Seattle's team and a desire to do something similar. I know Pettine said any rookie will struggle to replace Hoyer, so maybe they don't expect the quarterback to have to win the game for them. It's possible they believe JFB will do his best not to "lose" any games.

It could also be they have the faith in the team that's already here and there was no need to give it all up for a qb and that's the best thing in my mind. If they wanted Manziel at least they were cool enough not to give up the farm. If he's a bust I hope they never draft another QB at 22.

Still some good picks left too!

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

2007 was the last time we had an exciting season. I'd hardley call waiting 7 years for this team to play playoff caliber football an "instant gratification" attitude.

We got a very good player in the trade down with Buffalo. I wouldn't say he was my #1 CB, but the Browns front office wanted him and liked what they saw. Buffalo didn't have a second 1st rounder to give us.

Let me ask you this though, do you think that Gilbert & Manziel could be good players in the NFL? If you think so, then I would ask what the complaint is, especially since we'll have an opportunity with two first rounders next year to draft another two good players even if we make the playoffs.

Legend
Legend
Man am I glad I stayed off the boards last night. When I opened it up, I saw over 1200 new posts in just the draft forum LOL WOW

If Gilbert was the target all along, then we did great getting him and a 1st next year.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Our defense is about to be so sick... omg.. so wanted this dude after Watkins was gone..

FINALLY got a CB TANDEM that will DOMINATE!!

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2014 NFL Season NFL Draft 2014 Browns select Justin Gilbert with the 8th overall pick

Link Copied to Clipboard