Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 12 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 11 12
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Still wondering why this news comes out now? Why not yesterday, Monday, 2 weeks ago?

The infraction sounds like it happened a while ago, why announce now?

President - Fort Collins Browns Backers
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Just heard Burleson broke his arm again too. When it rains it pours in Cleveland. Guess it's ground and pound time.

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
C
1st String
1st String
C
Quote:

What I don't understand is how we went from a team ready to possibly contend, to "4-10 same old Browns" just because of one player..

Is Gordon a talented player? Yes of course. But the Lions show that having the best WR in the league doesn't mean everything.

The cupboard is not bare. Yes we will bring more in, but we will be just fine.

Bringing in a rookie WR isn't going to replace Gordons production anyways.

Its time to stop all the doom and gloom. People want the team to change its losing ways. Maybe the fans need to change ther losing mentality.

And who exactly is Hoyer and JM going to pass to? Gordon was a huge weapon for us,and changes how a defense can play us.I don't think this team is going to go 3-13,but this really was a bad day at the office for our offense,any way you cut it.

Legend
Legend
Browns not concerned about WR depth - Cleveland Browns Blog - ESPN
http://espn.go.com/blog/cleveland-browns/post/_/id/5639/farmer-im-not-concerned-about-depth-at-wr

The first day of the Cleveland Browns draft ended amidst jubilation and celebration.

It turned depressing and mysterious before the first player had even been taken on Day 2.

When word broke via ESPN’s Outside the Lines that Josh Gordon was facing a one-year suspension for failing another drug test, the proverbial wind was out of the proverbial sails.

Later in the night, ESPN’s Chris Mortensen broke the news that Nate Burleson had a fractured arm and would miss the offseason, but would be back for training camp.

If Gordon does miss a year and assuming Burleson returns, the Browns right now have Burleson, Greg Little and Andrew Hawkins as their prime receivers.

General Manager Ray Farmer said he is not concerned about the team’s depth at receiver, though.

“We play games in September,” Farmer said. ”Right now there’s still plenty of opportunities for us to acquire players and to make things happen.”

There’s only one draft, though, and the team’s decision in hindsight to trade down for cornerback Justin Gilbert and not take Sammy Watkins or Mike Evans looms larger if Gordon is suspended. Gordon is the team’s star and playmaker, and the receiving corps would have to depend on guys doing things they haven’t done in the past to succeed.

The Browns didn’t want to comment on Gordon’s situation, and in fairness the league handles the drug-testing program and teams are not supposed to comment on the details.

“Whenever we do have clarity we will express our sentiments then,” Farmer said.

He also did not get into whether he knew about Gordon’s situation, but said he drafts based on the team’s draft board and not on need or a player’s health situation.

“We organize the players, we rank them, we stack them and we stick to it,” Farmer said. “We believe that you do the work for a reason. You take the best players available. You establish your team by going through that process in making sure you draft the best guys in how you had them ordered in who are the best players in college football.”

The Browns went through the second day drafting an offensive lineman, a linebacker and a running back, but no receivers. Farmer said that was because of the way the team rated its players.

“We stuck with our board,” Farmer said. “As we looked at that board when it was our turn to select, we took the name that was the best name for us at that time.”

Thus, the Browns passed on Watkins and Evans because they liked Gilbert better. They passed on receivers on the second day because they liked offensive lineman Joel Bitonio, linebacker Christian Kirksey and running back Terrance West better.

The decision may come back to haunt them. In a sense it’s classic hindsight to look back -- except that Farmer and owner Jimmy Haslam knew of Gordon’s situation before the draft started, according to Mortensen and ESPN’s Sal Paolantonio.

Farmer simply believes he can still address the situation.

“Whether it’s trades, drafting someone the [third] day, players that get cut or we acquire somebody from the street,” Farmer said “there’s always opportunities to acquire players.”

There aren’t a lot of Josh Gordons, and if the Browns lose their top playmaker they may be left trying to win games with potentially a rookie quarterback, and a receiving group without its star.

That could leave the team relying on defense and the run game to win.

It can work, but without Gordon, well, the highs from Manziel sure seemed to dissipate in a hurry.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

If this is true, you cut him tomorrow...you outright cut him

I don't give a damn...he has no trade value now with this, and its just a distraction...he may be a good receiver, but this type of behavior is just unacceptable.

Haslam needs to use this to send a message to this team...that himself, like The Rooney's, won't put up with this nonsense...either you stay clean or your not on the team..very simple concept.

Like the Rooney's? They have a sexual predator at quarterback. Did they Cut tiny ben? And staying "clean" is a relative term man. NFL has no problem with their players eating Percs and Vicodin like candy. The NFL should end testing for weed. It's legal in two States that have teams. Legal by prescription in 20 and DC and I guarantee most NFL players would qualify.

That said, he knew he was one strike away from a years suspension so I have no problem with cutting him as soon as possible. We should have traded him when we had the chance. Take the cap hit this year and cut ties now. Next year we will need the cap space to sign Haden.

C
1st String
1st String
C
Quote:

Browns not concerned about WR depth - Cleveland Browns Blog - ESPN
http://espn.go.com/blog/cleveland-browns/post/_/id/5639/farmer-im-not-concerned-about-depth-at-wr

The first day of the Cleveland Browns draft ended amidst jubilation and celebration.

It turned depressing and mysterious before the first player had even been taken on Day 2.

When word broke via ESPN’s Outside the Lines that Josh Gordon was facing a one-year suspension for failing another drug test, the proverbial wind was out of the proverbial sails.

Later in the night, ESPN’s Chris Mortensen broke the news that Nate Burleson had a fractured arm and would miss the offseason, but would be back for training camp.

If Gordon does miss a year and assuming Burleson returns, the Browns right now have Burleson, Greg Little and Andrew Hawkins as their prime receivers.

General Manager Ray Farmer said he is not concerned about the team’s depth at receiver, though.

“We play games in September,” Farmer said. ”Right now there’s still plenty of opportunities for us to acquire players and to make things happen.”

There’s only one draft, though, and the team’s decision in hindsight to trade down for cornerback Justin Gilbert and not take Sammy Watkins or Mike Evans looms larger if Gordon is suspended. Gordon is the team’s star and playmaker, and the receiving corps would have to depend on guys doing things they haven’t done in the past to succeed.

The Browns didn’t want to comment on Gordon’s situation, and in fairness the league handles the drug-testing program and teams are not supposed to comment on the details.

“Whenever we do have clarity we will express our sentiments then,” Farmer said.

He also did not get into whether he knew about Gordon’s situation, but said he drafts based on the team’s draft board and not on need or a player’s health situation.

“We organize the players, we rank them, we stack them and we stick to it,” Farmer said. “We believe that you do the work for a reason. You take the best players available. You establish your team by going through that process in making sure you draft the best guys in how you had them ordered in who are the best players in college football.”

The Browns went through the second day drafting an offensive lineman, a linebacker and a running back, but no receivers. Farmer said that was because of the way the team rated its players.

“We stuck with our board,” Farmer said. “As we looked at that board when it was our turn to select, we took the name that was the best name for us at that time.”

Thus, the Browns passed on Watkins and Evans because they liked Gilbert better. They passed on receivers on the second day because they liked offensive lineman Joel Bitonio, linebacker Christian Kirksey and running back Terrance West better.

The decision may come back to haunt them. In a sense it’s classic hindsight to look back -- except that Farmer and owner Jimmy Haslam knew of Gordon’s situation before the draft started, according to Mortensen and ESPN’s Sal Paolantonio.

Farmer simply believes he can still address the situation.

“Whether it’s trades, drafting someone the [third] day, players that get cut or we acquire somebody from the street,” Farmer said “there’s always opportunities to acquire players.”

There aren’t a lot of Josh Gordons, and if the Browns lose their top playmaker they may be left trying to win games with potentially a rookie quarterback, and a receiving group without its star.

That could leave the team relying on defense and the run game to win.

It can work, but without Gordon, well, the highs from Manziel sure seemed to dissipate in a hurry.

Yeah,I read this article earlier,and it doesn't make me feel better a bit.No star WR is a gut punch to any and all teams.I would have taken Watkins,even before all this news myself.
They could have did that trade with Buf at least.Oh well,just roll with it I guess and see what Ray can come up with.I really want to smash Gordon right now over this,and the timing could not have been worse.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
I can't think of many receivers out there...Miles Austin has been crap for the last several years...perhaps vet. Minimum...but not even sure...I think I read like last week that Doug Baldwin still has refused to sign his tender with seahawks? Perhaps a trade for him? Speaking of Baldwin...Jon Baldwin who has been pretty lousy...will be cut loose... I know his light had never came on...but I wouldn't mind seeing him perhaps be invited in camp to make our team...trying to think of others that will be cut...and drawing blanks...hopefully we draft someone good tomorrow

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Also is it just me or does there tend to be a lot more drama with our Browns the past couple years...ever since Haslem came aboard it seems...though I'm not pointing fingers at him...just seems we have drama on alot of different levels

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I really want to smash Gordon right now over this,and the timing could not have been worse.

It actually could have been worse. We could have heard about it tomorrow, or Sunday, or Monday, or the first preseason game. Hate to sound like a broken record, why do we hear about this today? Why not yesterday, or tomorrow?

This timing question is killing me, so I will attempt to answer my own question. This infraction happened a while ago, and the NFL wanted due process to run it's course. The NFL was prepared to hand down its punishment, after the draft. The Browns mad so much noise in the first round, that the NFL had to save face, nip this in the bud, and lay down sanctions now.

That's the best I can come up with for now

C
1st String
1st String
C
Quote:

Also is it just me or does there tend to be a lot more drama with our Browns the past couple years...ever since Haslem came aboard it seems...though I'm not pointing fingers at him...just seems we have drama on alot of different levels

We are in the conversation and making headlines though...
.....even if it's not the ones we want to be in.

P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

This timing question is killing me, so I will attempt to answer my own question. This infraction happened a while ago, and the NFL wanted due process to run it's course. The NFL was prepared to hand down its punishment, after the draft. The Browns mad so much noise in the first round, that the NFL had to save face, nip this in the bud, and lay down sanctions now.

The NFL hasn't announced anything.

Reporters broke the story, not an NFL announcement.

I don't understand what's troubling or fishy about it.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I'm sorry if I'm slow on the uptake, I just don't remember something like this happening in the middle of a Draft

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Your right Mr. Farmer, you have plenty of time to fix the WR situation. And it's a good thing you passed on taking a WR in this draft. So there are no excuses. Come September this team better WIN. We better not miss Gordon one little bit. Because if we suck again and can't score a LOT of points? This time next year we'll be hearing from yet another new GM. Haslam is not a patient man.
Neither are the fans. So by all means, stick with your board and don't sweat losing your ONLY playmaker at receiver. Just remember, the clock is ticking. And September is not that far off. Better get it together man.... or Haslam will bring in someone that will. BET on it.

P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Quote:

I'm sorry if I'm slow on the uptake, I just don't remember something like this happening in the middle of a Draft

That may be because things like this don't happen much, as not many players have been dumb enough to fail so many drug tests in a system designed to look the other way.

Reports are that the NFL informed Gordon in late April...I don't see what seems off about that timeline.

1st String
1st String
Don't worry. We still have Greg Little. And we can probably still resign Davone Bess or we can pick up Washington's receiver Josh Morgan who is still on the free agent market. The name almost sounds like Josh Gordon so that's a good fit. Ocho Cinco is still available, I think. Or has he inked with the Nunuvat Whale Blubbers in the Canadian Football League 'eh? Hello? Terrel Owens? Randy Moss?

I can't believe they stuck with their same draft plans. That's like relying on your smoke detector to save you while your home is fully engulfed in flames.

I see another losing season in our future. 3-13.

Never have hope. You won’t be disappointed.
J
Rookie
Rookie
J
Josh Gordon is one of those people who are just self destructive. No matter what is on the line, career--huge money, there is something in their psyche which will not allow themselves to be successful. Very sad.

1st String
1st String
Quote:

Josh Gordon is one of those people who are just self destructive. No matter what is on the line, career--huge money, there is something in their psyche which will not allow themselves to be successful. Very sad.

If you knew you were facing a possible one year suspension or ban from the NFL, why would you go have your number tattooed across your back in huge characters? To impress a future cell mate?

Never have hope. You won’t be disappointed.
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Gordon, you are about the single most IGNORANT SOB on the face of the planet.

You just killed a 10 MILLION a year contract.

We've seen Gordon's LAST play ever on this team. And possibly in the entire league.

CONSISTENTLY getting popped. Really? No helping this A-Hole.

Start looking at Stud WR's in round one next year. Because we will be taking one with one of our TWO 1st Rounders!

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

And Haslam knew it but still traded down and passed on the top WR's? WTF

Good Gosh....just quit. Farmer conducted the draft, and I am 100% glad he stuck to his board and didn't allow the selfish act of a selfish player to change the teams plans.

I am sure the Browns were aware of this several weeks ago. Good for them, they stuck to the plan.

Some of you need to quit your whining and crying.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Not to worry, we have our secret weapon, Vince Young moving to WR!

#GMSTRONG
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Is Davone Bess still available?

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
All Pro
All Pro
Quote:

Quote:

And Haslam knew it but still traded down and passed on the top WR's? WTF

Good Gosh....just quit. Farmer conducted the draft, and I am 100% glad he stuck to his board and didn't allow the selfish act of a selfish player to change the teams plans.

I am sure the Browns were aware of this several weeks ago. Good for them, they stuck to the plan.

Some of you need to quit your whining and crying.

He sure did stick to the plan and that's OK, looks like we are running the ball and protecting the QB. Gordon must have the mindset of a snail.

GO BROWNS!
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Quote:

Addiction. Yep, it's "just" pot, but it's still addiction.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
j/c

I'm a very firm believer that EVERY human is addicted to something (drugs, alcohol, food, shopping, exercise, behavior, etc) ... it's just that some people allow it to destroy their lives (and others' lives)

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

He ran the full gauntlet today. Did First Take, Sports Center, Highly Questionable and another show I think. Kinda disgusted that neither the Browns or ESPN told him what's up before they paraded him out there like that.

Wow. You are blaming everyone but Gordon. Make no mistake. It's Gordon who failed multiple tests and got kicked out of two universities, was suspended for two games after one year in the pros, and is now facing at least a one-year suspension after his second year. He is to blame. No one else.

The guy is selfish. It's all about him and not his teammates. That's why I always said never count on a druggie.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

It almost reminds me of last year, as our RB [position went from strength to "who do we have left that can carry the ball?"

Our RB position last year was never a position of strength.

Richardson sucks. McGahee is just too old and worn out. Ogbonnaya can do somethings if he can hold onto the ball. Fumbling problems were his downfall, but being put in as our fullback? That was a joke.

Maybe with Dion Lewis back (when is he due back?), they'll have a bit more depth.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

What I don't understand is how we went from a team ready to possibly contend, to "4-10 same old Browns" just because of one player..

Is Gordon a talented player? Yes of course. But the Lions show that having the best WR in the league doesn't mean everything.

The cupboard is not bare. Yes we will bring more in, but we will be just fine.

Bringing in a rookie WR isn't going to replace Gordons production anyways.

Its time to stop all the doom and gloom. People want the team to change its losing ways. Maybe the fans need to change ther losing mentality.

Indeed. The worst thing about the Gordon situation is that he's cost himself millions of dollars. The Browns lose a talented player but that cannot be allowed to distract them from their goal. We'll be fine.

M
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
M
j/c

I cannot tell you how ticked I am right now. If this proves to be true, I say this year doesn't go against his contract. Meaning if he were to be a UFA next year, now he's not. He owes us a year!

I wanna know who it was in this mans life growing up that didn't spank his ass when he needed it so he would have the character he's lacking to say no to the things he keeps getting sucked into!

What a waste of talent!

WE DON'T NEED A QB BEFORE WE GET A LINE THAT CAN PROTECT HIM
my two cents...
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

A lot of comments have been made about how Banner should have made the move to trade him...I'll say the same thing now as I did then...Banner made the right move NOT to trade him. The potential reward far outweighed the risk, IMO, as evidence of having the most receiving yards in the NFL while playing in two less games. They guy's talent is just too good. It's freaking terrible that he could be gone for the year but that's the gamble the team took...And I think it was the right gamble. We simply lost.

Poor form, Gordon if this is true. You potentially have thrown away the opportunity of a lifetime to support your family and have a exciting, rewarding career all for a little grass. Poor form.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
No! Nimrod. Cut our throat.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Just clicking.

In 1920 prohibition made alcohol illegal. It was a federal law written on a piece of paper.

It instantly took millions of Americians, who were all law abiding citizens, and made them criminals overnight. All kinds of crazy things ensued.

Otherwise upfront, transparent, honest people began a lifestyle of being involved in the underworld as they sneeked around to secret (illegal) places to get a drink of alcohol. Many were arrested and jailed. Some were shot in gun fights with the police.

And then one day in 1933 the federal government tore up that piece paper with the federal law written on it and alcohol magically became legal again. Nothing else changed. But overnight, all those millions of criminals suddenly became legal, law abiding citizens again.

It's easy to say, "He should have known better". But what if a piece of paper with a federal law written on it takes away some small thing you enjoy?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Hogwash.

They are acting like the makeup of the team doesn't play a huge role into how they make their board. Christian Kirksey was the best player in college football when we picked him? Sorry that is total BS.

Total hogwash.

Makes more sense now why Gordon had come out and said "draft Marqise Lee."

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

The Browns lose a talented player but that cannot be allowed to distract them from their goal. We'll be fine.

Agreed. Although we'd be better with Gordon than without, I'm confidant that Farmer will find a way to plug the hole. Likely nobody we get will be as good as Gordon, but we will survive...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
There still seems to be something very odd about this test and announcement. I am no expert on NFL drug tests or how they are administered, but they will have exact amount of drugs in his blood, right down to last mcg. I am being optimistic that if it were very trace amounts that could be the appeal/ negotiating portion. If he was at a concert and others were smoking/ second hand smoke, it is a measurement. I have been part of administering drug tests at my workplace and we can dial it in damn close to time and amount due to the test. I certainly hope I am right, and this is why Mr Farmer and company are not overly aggressive about WR's yet. Josh certainly needs to get his crap together, if I am wrong about my suspicions we need to CUT him ASAP. This is not what "being a Brown" is.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Gordon is a legit moron who should be submitted for brain experiments to find out how a human can possibly be this stupid. He has let himself, his family, an organization, and a fanbase of millions down. Mind you, he's done this on the cusp of being a superstar making $50 million+ over a 4-year span. He should probably not have Michael Irvin as a mentor.

Release him and let him hang out with his junkie friends. What an absolute moronic loser. I don't ever want to see him disgrace this team again by being allowed to suit up for even one more play. I have no tolerance for guys like him, it infuriates me.

All Pro
All Pro
Quote:

But overnight, all those millions of criminals suddenly became legal, law abiding citizens again.

It's easy to say, "He should have known better". But what if a piece of paper with a federal law written on it takes away some small thing you enjoy?

I appreciate your perspective regarding the legalization aspects, but that's not the point.

I want to get high. I want to make millions of dollars. I don't care about the risks. I don't care about the consequences.

Free Agent posted earlier that he quit smoking for a $13 an hour job. Right there is the answer to your question. You do what you have to do and look past your own selfish desire for instant gratification.

Last edited by VarmintKong; 05/10/14 08:54 AM.

---------------------------------------------------------

#gmstrong

We are not called on to be successful. We are called on to be faithful.
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Ddubia,

Prohibition took something legal and made it illegal. Weed has been illegal since BEFORE Gordon started smoking it. That's a huge difference.

There may be people who have more talent than you, but there's no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.
-Derek Jeter
E
Legend
Legend
E
Well Farmer and Haslam knew for about a week...glad they stuck to their draft plan and didn't variate for a knee jerk reaction to the JERK.

Too bad you cannot trade suspended players - I would trade his butt here and NOW!

As I stepped into the door around 7pm my son greeted me and said something terrible happened I'm like we trade our #35? He laughed and said no with the Browns but not draft related. I couldn't guess so he told me...I was like pfft - nobody wins a championship because of one elite WR...we need around 4-5 good ones. It would have been great with Jordon. Then like everyone I'm thinking are we going to force the pick of a WR at 35? The kid Lee? But then I remembered - Farmer knew, Pettine found out yesterday before the announcement supposedly but Farmer knew. If we traded out of 4 and gave up Watkins...why would we now be desperate for a WR just cause ESPN and the draft experts just found out now we will take a WR...what about Watkins the day before???

So I'm like come on let get my guy Botonano (I'll learn to spell his name...lol ) Oh my gosh two guys I wanted in the top 3 picks - WE GOT!!! Manziel and Botanono. It would be nice if Little steps out of his shell and takes away the brunt of Gordon's loss.

The jerk knew he failed the test and there he was tweeting get Manziel...and then Get Lee! Congratulating Manziel.

Well the only way out of this is if he was not using...and because he was working out in Florida? or somewhere down south he had to drink a lot of water and the diluted thing is what failed his test???

That is our only hope to have him this year is that he takes another test and proves that it was just drinking a lot of water.

Well he made his choice...GET HIGH or play football. F - HIM!

Let him get back have a monster year then trade his ass!

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
A
aej Offline
Rookie
Rookie
A
I agree with eotab. We can't let one player, no matter how good he is, ruin the Browns. JG is a jerk, a kid with no care for the players or the fans. Just because he ruins his life doesn't mean he gets to ruin the browns. Farmer has made very very good moves and I agree with him also. there will be a good receiver or two cut and he still may pick up a good receiver in the last rounds. I refuse after following my Browns for 60 years to pack it in due to a immature druggie that doesn't care about anyone other than himself. Go away forever Gordon and good riddance. You cant hurt your players or fans anymore. Just go far away.

S
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
S
Quote:

There still seems to be something very odd about this test and announcement. I am no expert on NFL drug tests or how they are administered, but they will have exact amount of drugs in his blood, right down to last mcg. I am being optimistic that if it were very trace amounts that could be the appeal/ negotiating portion. If he was at a concert and others were smoking/ second hand smoke, it is a measurement. I have been part of administering drug tests at my workplace and we can dial it in damn close to time and amount due to the test. I certainly hope I am right, and this is why Mr Farmer and company are not overly aggressive about WR's yet. Josh certainly needs to get his crap together, if I am wrong about my suspicions we need to CUT him ASAP. This is not what "being a Brown" is.

I work as a Substance Abuse Counselor. We drug test our patients and send the urine samples to a laboratory in a very professional manner and we pay a lot of money to this company to ensure accuracy and confidentiality. They can get very specific about any of the drugs that the patients test positive for like you stated above; however, there are many companies that offer drug testing services and they all can have a different threshold that needs to be exceeded for the drug sample to show up as positive. They do this specifically so the patient can not use the "Oh, it must have been second hand smoke" as an argument or to refute a positive result. For example, if there are X mcg's (micrograms) of THC in the urine sample, it is considered positive. It is virtually impossible for the person to inhale enough second hand smoke that would cause the test to show up positive if we're talking "he was at a concert" or something like that.

I have had patients who have flat out denied that the substance in question was in their system whether it was THC, Opiates, Cocaine, etc. When this occurs, we can have the laboratory reexamine the urine sample - and they can break it down to exactly how much mcg's of the substance was in their system and which exact chemical it was that caused the test to be positive. So for example, if it was positive for opiates, they can tell us which opiate it was (Codeine, Morphine, Heroin, Oxycontin, Percocet, Vicodin, etc.). There are also times after reexamining the sample, they state that it was a "cross-reacting substance" and that the test was in fact negative. In other words, it wasn't an opiate but something else that is very similar to an opiate in chemical structure and that this is what the test picked up on; this meaning it was a false-positive.

The problem with this for Gordon is that if it is for Marijuana, there are virtually no "cross reacting substances" with THC that could cause a false positive and the amount of mcg's in his system would simply indicate how long ago he likely used it. The second hand smoke argument is out of the question because even if he inhaled second hand smoke at a concert several hours before he provided the urine sample, it would not be enough mcg's of THC to cause the test to be positive.

If it is a drug such as am Amphetamine or a Benzodiazepine, there are various cross reacting substances that could cause a false positive and some of them can be purchased over the counter like Sudafed which contains an Amphetamine. Or there are many different types of Benzodiazepine in an anesthetic that can have been administered to person that is getting their wisdom teeth removed, for example, or for surgery of any kind.

I think that Gordon is up poop's creek and without a paddle at this point - pending that these reports are true. I am sure that the NFL uses a very reputable company to administer drug tests to the NFL players and the chance that they would make a mistake are slim to none and slim's out of town.

I'm assuming that it got this far because when it first came back positive, Gordon denied it and wanted the sample to be reexamined which afterwards he was informed that was not a false positive and that he was facing a season long (or whatever) suspension. Thing's aren't looking good for him at all at this point.

I think the best case scenario is that he tries to get the amount of time he is suspended reduced and I'm not sure how he goes about doing that. Maybe by voluntarily entering an inpatient rehab facility or some sort of community service? It's kind of like what college programs do after finding out that they violated an NCAA rule.

I don't know guys, I'm just as confused as everyone else and I find of the timing of this to be almost 'too coincidental'. It's released minutes before the beginning of the second day of the draft and after Gordon had been interviewed on Sportscenter among other appearances earlier in the day? It's just weird. If it's true though which as of right now it appears so, I agree that he should be cut from the team. This definitely contradicts the "Play Like a Brown" mantra that Coach Pettine is trying to instill. I could see if it was his first offense, but unfortunately Gordon has been through this far too many times throughout his collegiate and NFL career.

He has an obvious substance abuse problem and just can not stop even when he knows that he is risking millions of dollars, is letting his entire family down, his teammates, etc. If these things aren't enough to motivate you to stop using drugs, then it seems that nothing will and this man severely needs to enter an extended rehab where he could receive extensive counseling and really try to find himself. This is assuming, however, that Gordon is willing to admit that he has a problem and needs help.

This is why they say in the drug addiction recovery community that in order to get clean and stay clean, you "have to want to do it for yourself" first and foremost. You have to be internally motivated not to use drugs. All of these things that I just listed are external sources of motivation (money, teammates, and even family) meaning that he isn't staying clean for himself.

This man really needs some addiction counseling where he could learn more about the stuff that I am talking about and he has to have a positive attitude and open mind about it if he is ever going to overcome these issues with substance abuse.

JMHO
Page 6 of 12 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 11 12
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Josh Gordon Faces Year-Long Suspension

Link Copied to Clipboard