Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 12 1 2 8 9 10 11 12
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Get real. It's a BS excuse.

You follow the rules until they are changed in terms of doing drugs. We aren't talking about the American Revolution. We are talking about something that is illegal in the NFL and you do it only to make yourself feel good. There are no moral gains by doing drugs. It's a selfish act in which you put your own wants and needs above your teammates.

Don't even try to get philosophical in defending this turd.

Again, I'm not sure if you actually read everything I have been saying. I am not defending his actions. I am questioning the length of punishment from the NFL and how that punishment compares to other violations by both the players and the owners.

Cleveland Browns, Space Browns
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
S
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
S
This article below proves my entire point on why we are overvaluing the WR position right now in light of the Josh Gordon news and is also why I always refer to the 'Shiny Hood Ornament Theory'.

The 'MMQB', Peter King from SI, is not even comparable to the bloated talking heads on BSPN because he legitmately knows his stuff and is always a very intriguing person to listen to when he talks football on the various sports radio talk show circuit, most often on the Dan Patrick Show.

He was the only person who predicted that we were going to be a very reputable, and possible playoff football team the year we went 10-6 w/ Derek Anderson. It was the year he pushed to have Jamal Lewis running through the Orange Pads on the cover of the Sports Illustrated NFL Season Preview edition. Anyone Remember this?

Anyways, here is the article from the MMQB and the timing is great...

The Tease of Rookie Wide Recievers

JMHO
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

I am questioning the length of punishment from the NFL and how that punishment compares to other violations by both the players and the owners.

Why is the length of the suspension an issue for you?

I could understand if it were a year for a first offense....that's pretty draconian.

But when Gordon got hired, his employer/parent company said 'The terms of your employment prohibit you from doing this.'

When he violated those terms, they said 'We told you not to do this. Please don't do this again, or there will be ramifications.

When he violated those terms a second time, they said 'We've warned you, you didn't listen. We warned you again, you didn't listen, here's a fractional suspension. Do it again, and you're looking at a substantial suspension'.

He did it again.

At what point do you feel a flagrant disregard for company policy deserves a year's suspension? The seventh defiance? The tenth?

S
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
S
Quote:

Quote:

I am questioning the length of punishment from the NFL and how that punishment compares to other violations by both the players and the owners.

Why is the length of the suspension an issue for you?

I could understand if it were a year for a first offense....that's pretty draconian.

But when Gordon got hired, his employer/parent company said 'The terms of your employment prohibit you from doing this.'

When he violated those terms, they said 'We told you not to do this. Please don't do this again, or there will be ramifications.

When he violated those terms a second time, they said 'We've warned you, you didn't listen. We warned you again, you didn't listen, here's a fractional suspension. Do it again, and you're looking at a substantial suspension'.

He did it again.

At what point do you feel a flagrant disregard for company policy deserves a year's suspension? The seventh defiance? The tenth?

+1

I Agree 100%

JMHO
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
My issue is the length in comparison to other violations.

The third marijuana violation gets you a one year suspension. Raping a girl in a bar gets you a six week suspension. DWI as an owner gets you nothing...

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Ok you got me there. How long was Michael Vick suspended after his conviction?

P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Two years.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
So failing a test for the third time for marijuana is half as egregious as running an illegal dog fighting and gambling ring. Something about that just doesn't sit right with me.

P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Don't watch the NFL then?

I don't really know what to tell you here.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Even though the guy is great, he is not a team player. CYA Josh. Good luck at Mickey Dees..........

Legend
Legend
You didn't answer the question I posed earlier. Exactly how many times should an employee be allowed to fail a marijuana test before he gets a substantial suspension tor terminated? Should he be allowed to repeatedly violate the policy and receive slaps on the wrist? I don't know where you're going with this whole argument.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
S
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
S
Quote:

You didn't answer the question I posed earlier. Exactly how many times should an employee be allowed to fail a marijuana test before he gets a substantial suspension tor terminated? Should he be allowed to repeatedly violate the policy and receive slaps on the wrist? I don't know where you're going with this whole argument.

I agree.

People continually want to bring up the 'weed is not harmful and is legal in some states" argument. The bottom line is that it is a banned substance in the NFL. Just like taking prescription narcotics or a benzodiazepine type sedative like xanax, valium, etc. is prohibited where I work. They are legal if prescribed, but we are not allowed to take it considering the work I do.

Just because a substance becomes legal in a couple of states and the trend is showing that it will be in several more doesn't mean that it is automatically legal in the workplace. Alcohol is legal but you can't drive under the influence of it or go to work drunk or you will lose your' driver's license or be fired.

Same goes w/ weed in the NFL. They don't allow it on or off the field. The rule may be in need of a revision but Gordon violated it with full awareness of the consequences. Therefore, he should pay the penalty.

If he faces a 1 year suspension, I highly doubt he will ever be in a Browns uniform again. He is showing that he just isn't a Pettine/Farmer type of player and is completely defying the 'Play Like a Brown' mantra that this regime is trying to instill.

There's always the Raiders or Bungles he could go to though, however, the Raiders have a new FO.

If he ever does see an NFL field again (pending the reports are true), that team still wouldn't be able to count on him to be there every Sunday unless this man admits he has a serious problem, seeks rehab, and is truly changed. Otherwise, you never know if he is going to let you entire franchise down...and that is not a guy I would want to count on from year to year on my team from various standpoints.

JMHO
C
1st String
1st String
C
Quote:

So failing a test for the third time for marijuana is half as egregious as running an illegal dog fighting and gambling ring. Something about that just doesn't sit right with me.

The commish warned him,that if he did this again there would be serious consequences.The Browns supported that decision
as well.He had a history for his behavior prior to the NFL as well,and I'm sure the circumstances are looked at on a case by case basis,with players like that.He was on a short leash,and for a reason.They didn't want to suspend him like this,and had a line drawn in the sand for a him,in hopes he would get it together,but he didn't.Maybe you can look at the NFL policies regarding this somewhere,and find some answers there.

S
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
S
Also in regards to the "weed is legal in a couple of states" argument and is a "harmless substance", is anyone considering this from a PR Standpoint?

If the NFL allows its players to smoke pot recreationally, what kind of message would that be sending to our children who play youth football with the dream of making the NFL?

I know for sure that even though I agree that alcohol is worse for the body and mind than THC, I wouldn't want my kid to be idolising pothead NFL players and wearing their jerseys.

Isn't that the epitome of contradiction when you sit down with your kid to talk to him or her about the dangers of substance abuse?

JMHO
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
The NBA doesn't test for marijuana.

Doesn't seem to have destroyed America's youth yet.

S
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
S
Quote:

The NBA doesn't test for marijuana.

Doesn't seem to have destroyed America's youth yet.

That's a debate that I really don't have the energy or motivation to begin right now because it would be neverending.

I just know that I wouldn't want my child to idolise a pothead. If you don't mind your kid to do so (if you have one), that that is your priority and is not my place to interfere.

JMHO
C
1st String
1st String
C
Quote:

Also in regards to the "weed is legal in a couple of states" argument and is a "harmless substance", is anyone considering this from a PR Standpoint?

If the NFL allows its players to smoke pot recreationally, what kind of message would that be sending to our children who play youth football with the dream of making the NFL?

I know for sure that even though I agree that alcohol is worse for the body and mind than THC, I wouldn't want my kid to be idolising pothead NFL players and wearing their jerseys.

Isn't that the epitome of contradiction when you sit down with your kid to talk to him or her about the dangers of substance abuse?

Absolutley the NFL has an image they want to put out.It's a family friendly one,just like Disney PG rated.I do wonder why the behavior policy for drinking,and clubbing,steroids,sleeping around with all sorts of chicks,taking smack,ect is not frowned upon as equally as well.I think the NFL has some serious problems going on,with all the stuff that players are getting involved in lately.Going to bars,and drinking and getting in fights seems to be one of their biggest issues.Obviously pot has become as prevolent in our society as a beer it seems,but it doesn't make it right.There should be a standard to uphold for the privilege of playing professional sports,being soo many children look up to these guys,like they are superheros.Not sure how they resolve this,without kicking 1/4 of the league out,but something needs to be addressed that's for sure.

Legend
Legend
Here are the NFL rules (from what I have seen).

First positive test entry into NFL Program

When in NFL Drug Program
Next failed test is 4-6 games with the possiblity to get it reduced to 2-4

Second failed test when In drug program is 6-8 games with the possiblity to reduce it to 4.

Third failed test (When in NFL Drug Program) is 1 year ban with reinstatement.

Am I missing something? According to what I've read Gordon gets 8 games max.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
NHL doesn't do weed tests, I don't think any of their fans are idolizing pot heads.

S
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
S
I think you guys are missing my point. Josh Gordon decided to jeopardize his entire career, he let the fan base down, he let his family down, he let his teammates down, and he let himself down - and this all occured because he refused to stop using a substance that is banned in his profession. A substance that is federally banned as well. This, IMO, is a substance abuse problem and it shows the dangers of what any drug can have on your life.

For the record, I am not anti-pot and I have no problem with THC being legalized. Nonetheless, even if it were legalized, there would still be certain workplaces where it would not be allowed. The NFL happens to be one these workplaces.

If an individual can not stop using a drug that is banned in their profession in exchange for a career in that profession that most kids would dream of having, that is not an individual I would want my kid to idolise.

JMHO
C
1st String
1st String
C
Quote:

I think you guys are missing my point. Josh Gordon decided to jeopardize his entire career, he let the fan base down, he let his family down, he let his teammates down, and he let himself down - and this all occured because he refused to stop using a substance that is banned in his profession. A substance that is federally banned as well. This, IMO, is a substance abuse problem and it shows the dangers of what any drug can have on your life.

For the record, I am not anti-pot and I have no problem with THC being legalized. Nonetheless, even if it were legalized, there would still be certain workplaces where it would not be allowed. The NFL happens to be one these workplaces.

If an individual can not stop using a drug that is banned in their profession in exchange for a career in that profession that most kids would dream of having, that is not an individual I would want my kid to idolise.

I get what you're saying,and I totally agree.The dude had every opportunity and blew it.Now he has to face the music for his actions.Heck.most people would just get fired for alot less.

C
1st String
1st String
C
Quote:

NHL doesn't do weed tests, I don't think any of their fans are idolizing pot heads.

I don't watch Hockey and wouldn't know. Just speaking in general terms.

All Pro
All Pro
"I smoked in Colorado, it's legal, you are violating my Constitutional rights, I will sue the NFL for $100 mil."

GO BROWNS!
V
Legend
Legend
V
I believe he has failed three drug tests in the NFL, which is a one year ban w/possible reinstatement.

Y
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Y
Quote:

Would the children even know? I mean, it's not like if you allowed NFL players to smoke pot, all the sudden you would see them out and about doing it. Just like people don't "know" these guys are doing roids, they are...

#gmstrong
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Last edited by Browns_D02; 05/11/14 08:26 AM.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Really...tattoo the "leaves" on your back? Josh Gordon Tattoos

http://www.webpronews.com/josh-gordon-ta...stagram-2014-03

I see the pics, but I can't tell if it's really gordon. In fact, it doesn't look like him at all..

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
JC...def has Gordon on his back and his jersey number tatted on his back...wearing a camo hat (Gordon's Porshe SUV is in camo) H on the hat...resembling Houston (Gordon played at Baylor) looks like a WRs body...and its posted on Gordon's instagram account...99 percent its him...can't tell by face as you can't see it...but could probably tell by his neck tattoos...but I don't know as Gordon in most games wears a turtle neck...but with Gordon being a budist and more likely free spirit...no wonder he's on marijuana

M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Quote:

Really...tattoo the "leaves" on your back? Josh Gordon Tattoos

http://www.webpronews.com/josh-gordon-ta...stagram-2014-03

I see the pics, but I can't tell if it's really gordon. In fact, it doesn't look like him at all..

Of course it looks like him.

Tackles are tackles.
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Didn't know Josh Gordon was such a weeaboo

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

"I smoked in Colorado, it's legal, you are violating my Constitutional rights, I will sue the NFL for $100 mil."

Even in states where pot is legel businesses can still ban the substance from their employees. The NFL is no different. If Josh wants to smoke pot in Colorado he can do so but he will not be able to work in the NFL with it in his blood stream.

Legend
Legend
This is my kind of pot smoking!

#GMSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
What about we wait until the NFL makes IT statement about Gordon / Let us see if he beats the wrap on appeal / see if gets maybe a six game suspension .. Plan for the worse and be patient !

Legend
Legend
I can't see his face,, Until I do, for me, I can't knock the kid. in todays world where anything can be photo shopped, I'll wait.

Having said, I wouldn't put anything past this idiot..

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Good Lord, it's on his personal instagram page. If anything's Photoshopped, he did it himself.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Good Lord, it's on his personal instagram page. If anything's Photoshopped, he did it himself.

No instagram or facebook page has ever been compromised.. So I guess you are right

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
S
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
S
If he were to never have 'allegedly' failed the drug screen and wasn't facing the suspension and someone were to ask him about the back tattoo that has an obvious marijuana leaf, I bet he would say something like 'it's a symbol of all I've had to overcome.'

Either way, it's flat out STUPID Josh.

This kid has so much growing up to do and he needs professional counseling if he truly wishes to overcome his problem with substance abuse.

JMHO
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Uh...he was actually on the ESPN circus talking about these new tatoos a few weeks ago...they are his.

------------------------------
*In Baker we trust*
-------------------------------
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Quote:

No instagram or facebook page has ever been compromised.. So I guess you are right

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Tulsa, off topic, but what kind of shotgun is that? I like that. Wonder what kind of shot is in the shells?

Dawginit since Jan. 24, 2000 Member #180
You can't fix yesterday but you can learn for tomorrow
#GMSTRONG

I want to do it as a Cleveland Brown because that's who I am.”
Page 10 of 12 1 2 8 9 10 11 12
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Josh Gordon Faces Year-Long Suspension

Link Copied to Clipboard