Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
V
Legend
Legend
V
Well, be sure.............I am disappointed in how this draft turned out. So many options in one of the strongest drafts ever, and we gave away picks.

We reached too many times.

Again, I like how it began, but am disappointed in the final result. And I'll stop here and not address all the upcoming insults because I expressed an opinion.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
You are certainly entitled to your opinion.

I'm happy with the players we drafted. So I don't care if we gave up more assets.

you had a good run Hank.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

j/c:

The draft started off w/so much promise, but as time went on, Farmer's and Pettine's inexperience really showed and the end results are extremely disappointing.

What happened to all those extra picks that Banner accumulated? Why did we end up w/so few draft picks? Did Farmer blow them all by moving up?

Very disappointing.

The only saving grace of the draft is Johnny, and he might bust.

I don't know if I would call it dissapointing but the trade up's were mistakes in my opinion. I like the talent they acquired but thought they could have got more in this deep draft.

Was Justin Gilbert so much better than Fuller and Dennard to give up a 5th round pick. I liked all 3 CB's and if the FO's wanted a corner to pair with Haden I would have been happy with any of these 3. So I would have called Minnesota's bluff and not traded up 1 spot.

I said from the beginning of the draft process that I was not 100% sold on any of the top QB's but felt strongly that the Browns had to come away with 1 of the big 4 Manziel, Bridgewater, Bortles, and Carr. With Bridgwater and Carr still on the board and the Browns virtually guaranteed to land 1 of the 3. I would have sit tight at 26 and been more than happy with Bridgewater or Carr if someone else would have traded up in front of Cleveland for Manziel.

Had they not traded up for Manziel they could have had the 2nd 3rd and not had to use a 4th to move up in front Pittisburg and Baltimore to get Terrance West.

Again I like the talent they acquired but felt they could have got more if they were more patient.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
And just one last thing, with their UDFA's, the Browns picked up 3 guys I think they could have gotten in the later rounds and we would have been happy.

Chandler Jones
Conner Shaw
Isaiah Crowell

All of those guys will be good backups in the NFL, IMO.

you had a good run Hank.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
J/C

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2014/05/cleveland_browns_fourth_round.html

Watch the video within the link. Towards the bottom. Sounds like we might have found us a player... Not sure what links are not allowed. Refs. Just delete if necessary

The Views Expressed By Me Are Not Necessarily The Views That You Will Agree With, I'm In My Own Little World But They Know Me Here.
V
Legend
Legend
V
We got Isaiah Crowell?

Sweet. I really like that guy. Hope he gets a legit shot to compete.

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Quote:

We got Isaiah Crowell?

I remembered you talking him up. Have to admit neither him or West had my stamp.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Quote:

We got Isaiah Crowell?

Yep, UDFA.

you had a good run Hank.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
If we had taken Jones or Crowell in the 4th would anyone have said reach? frig there is some talent there.

As for Desir, a ton of upside, if he can improve his hand technique , sky is the limit.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Looking like a decent centerfielder, any chance he plays free safety?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think he could slide outside on 3rd down and let gilbert move inside to cover the slot. I dont think he has the instincts for FS nor the tackling ability. I still say Buster skrine should be moved to FS, he has the best 0-30 speed of any db in the league and he will take on big ben with no hesitation. Tough little.

He will play this year alot.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
I think Skrine would make a wicked FS. He closes on the ball very well.

I think he will be outside on 1st & 2nd downs and move to the slot on third downs...at least for 2014.

If McFadden can develop...man would we be crazy deep. I liked what little I saw of Poyer & Posey & Aubrey. Bademosi has always intrigued me and 'who knows' where Slaughter will be in all this.

The two new CBs can make our secondary top notch and quite flexible.

I imagine Pettine is licking his chops right about now.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Quote:

Well, be sure.............I am disappointed in how this draft turned out. So many options in one of the strongest drafts ever, and we gave away picks.

We reached too many times.

Again, I like how it began, but am disappointed in the final result. And I'll stop here and not address all the upcoming insults because I expressed an opinion.

You wanted Johnny and you got him. You had to move up to do it.

Can't have it both ways man.

LOL - The Rish will be upset with this news as well. KS just doesn't prioritize winning...
Legend
Legend
I loved the strategy. Get the guys with the higher % chance of contributing. We didn't draft a guy with a round grade lower than the 3rd.

S
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
S
Quote:

I loved the strategy. Get the guys with the higher % chance of contributing. We didn't draft a guy with a round grade lower than the 3rd.

+1

JMHO
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Desir is going to be a beast in the NFL. Glad he'll be able to do it on our team.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

And just one last thing, with their UDFA's, the Browns picked up 3 guys I think they could have gotten in the later rounds and we would have been happy.

Chandler Jones
Conner Shaw
Isaiah Crowell

All of those guys will be good backups in the NFL, IMO.

At minimum. All three can become solid starters.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Quote:

j/c:

The draft started off w/so much promise, but as time went on, Farmer's and Pettine's inexperience really showed and the end results are extremely disappointing.

What happened to all those extra picks that Banner accumulated? Why did we end up w/so few draft picks? Did Farmer blow them all by moving up?

Very disappointing.

The only saving grace of the draft is Johnny, and he might bust.

I don't know if I would call it dissapointing but the trade up's were mistakes in my opinion. I like the talent they acquired but thought they could have got more in this deep draft.

Was Justin Gilbert so much better than Fuller and Dennard to give up a 5th round pick. I liked all 3 CB's and if the FO's wanted a corner to pair with Haden I would have been happy with any of these 3. So I would have called Minnesota's bluff and not traded up 1 spot.

I said from the beginning of the draft process that I was not 100% sold on any of the top QB's but felt strongly that the Browns had to come away with 1 of the big 4 Manziel, Bridgewater, Bortles, and Carr. With Bridgwater and Carr still on the board and the Browns virtually guaranteed to land 1 of the 3. I would have sit tight at 26 and been more than happy with Bridgewater or Carr if someone else would have traded up in front of Cleveland for Manziel.

Had they not traded up for Manziel they could have had the 2nd 3rd and not had to use a 4th to move up in front Pittisburg and Baltimore to get Terrance West.

Again I like the talent they acquired but felt they could have got more if they were more patient.

There is only a couple of points I want to make about this.

I think that they could have stayed at #9 and gotten Gilbert. Giving up the 5th was a bit much to move up one spot but they did it, I think to get the guy that they wanted. They didn't want 1 of 3 corners, they got the one that they wanted. Considering that the 5th could have been parlayed into a 4th next year if they chose not to use it but found a trade partner for it.

The same applies to Manziel. They probably looked at the landscape and felt that with the systems that the other teams are expected to run, they had to move on Manziel. Giving up the third was, I think, a bit much, but they got one guy that they wanted.

But, I must say, that I'm happy with the players that the Browns drafted. I wouldn't necessarily have chosen them, but they seemed to have gotten good players and have a plan, which they stuck to, despite the distractions caused by Josh Gordon.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I'm stating things as I see them. If that means punk or cowboy up in your book, so be it.

I don't even think they drafted the best CB in the draft after moving up to get him. I think they took a QB who will bust when Bridgewater would have been there for the taking. I'm not sold on the LB'er they selected either.

Now if that makes me something less than desirable in your book, so be it. But I'm tired of going year in and year out blindly trying to make some "feel good, positive story" out of drafts that suck on a regular basis. If you think this is some great draft, you're entitled to your opinion.

I'm not going to try to say things to degrade you because we disagree. And I really expected a little more from you.

They went the stubborn route by neglecting the WR position. In time I believe we will find that the route they should have taken was Bridgewater and Lee.

I'm going to cowboy up by sticking to my guns rather than be a blind follower that since 1999 led us to 4 wins last year. Sorry if that offends your sensibilities.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

I think they took a QB who will bust when Bridgewater would have been there for the taking.

I keep reading this. Didn't anybody ever think we DID NOT want TB? A simple question. All other teams passed on him to. I don't care for JFB, but now that he is a Brown, he's my man. I just don't get all the hype with TB. He was a good QB in school....so was BQ.

Dawginit since Jan. 24, 2000 Member #180
You can't fix yesterday but you can learn for tomorrow
#GMSTRONG

I want to do it as a Cleveland Brown because that's who I am.”
P
Legend
Legend
P
The draft is over and only time will tell. And your comments are not all that accurate. Bridgewater went 10 picks after Manziel. It not like the picks were far apart.

As far as being a good college QB? so was Manziel. I fail to see your point.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Bridgewater went 10 picks after Manziel. It not like the picks were far apart.

Okay, lets start here. A team had to trade up from the 2nd. rd. to the end of the first to get him. He would have been a 2nd rd. pick if not, no body knows how far he would have fallen. If he was taken a pick or two after ours, then I see your point, but he wasn't. If anybody reached, it was the team that moved up to take him.

Quote:

The point was, just because the media hypes certain people, does not mean their all that and a bag of chips. I trust our FO more than the talking heads is all.

Dawginit since Jan. 24, 2000 Member #180
You can't fix yesterday but you can learn for tomorrow
#GMSTRONG

I want to do it as a Cleveland Brown because that's who I am.”
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Except all the talking heads had Manziel higher than Bridgewater by a lot.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

The draft is over and only time will tell. And your comments are not all that accurate. Bridgewater went 10 picks after Manziel. It not like the picks were far apart.

the point was, 31 picks went by and nobody took supposedly the best QB in the draft.

What's that mean? Nothing really. Look at when Rogers and Brees were takin. Favre and Brady as well..

It works in reverse as well, remember Leaf, Quinn, Weeden, Russell etc.

Like I said, it really means nothing.

What they do going forward means everything, what they all did yesterday doesn't mean much at all.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
Quote:

J/C

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2014/05/cleveland_browns_fourth_round.html

Watch the video within the link. Towards the bottom. Sounds like we might have found us a player... Not sure what links are not allowed. Refs. Just delete if necessary

Maybe im blind but im not seeing any video at the bottom

" Now here you are running these dirty old streets tattoo on your neck fake gold on your teeth, got the hood here snowed but you can't fool me, we both know who you are"
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Al Jazeera randomly did a human interest piece on him:

Quote:

Many of the players who will be selected in the NFL draft, starting Thursday, will come in familiar wrappings, that fine silk of college football — Texas A&M or the University of South Carolina or Auburn University. The bright lights will come on for draft night, and those players will act as though they have been on the big stage hundreds of times as they saunter before the cameras and slip on the jersey of the team that has selected them. They’ll trade familiar wrappings for different but still familiar ones as they become Bills, Jaguars and Texans.

Pierre Desir’s wrappings are anything but fine silk. He was groomed for pro ball at hustling and scrappy programs like Washburn and Lindenwood University — destinations found only using Google Maps. When his name is called on national television, many viewers will turn to owls.

“Who?”

But that introduction will be the culmination of a journey during which Desir has had a lifetime of experiences and challenges that his coach and others believe helped prepare him for what awaits. And they think the NFL and its fans will know his name soon enough.

“The team that picks him in the draft is going to get the whole package,” Lindenwood head coach Pat Ross said of the cornerback. “He is not flamboyant or arrogant like some others who play that position. He doesn’t lack confidence, but he is calm, cool and collected. He doesn’t have that showmanship, and teams really like that about him.”
Desir is a 23-year-old who finished his college career in St. Charles, Missouri, at Division II Lindenwood. He should be chosen no later than the third round of the three-day, seven-round draft. NFL teams covet his height (6 foot 1), accompanying reach (33 inches) and instincts (13 interceptions his junior and senior seasons). If he is picked, he will the first player in Lindenwood’s history to be drafted by an NFL team.

But he is important to this draft and to the NFL for more than his skills. Teams examine the character of players almost as deeply as they do football skills, and scouts pay attention to baggage — those things off the field that could limit a player’s production. Desir handled his baggage with poise, and he stepped out of the spotlight to do it, playing at small college programs off the national grid.

He dug himself a hole as a teenager, becoming a father at 16, when he was still in high school. His grades were so poor, he could not qualify for a scholarship to a Division I football school. Now Desir is the proud father of two daughters, 7 and 3, and is married to the mother of their children. He just needs just to complete an internship to earn a degree in secondary education and history from Lindenwood.

While some players are on a Hollywood tour as the draft approaches, making red-carpet and talk-show appearances, Desir is crawling around on the floor with his daughters playing with blocks or playing various roles in their make-believe stories. He is, depending on the day, a pirate, a troll or a monster the girls gleefully run away from. He is a dad soothing a bump or a scrape.

“One of the great things for me was my parents were very supportive of me and they didn’t try and push me away from my situation,” Desir said. “They did everything they could to help me. They knew I had to be in my daughter’s life, whether I was with the mother or not. They just gave me guidance along the way and taught me things and corrected my mistakes. I just listened and did what I was told.”

‘Worked hard for everything’

His parents, Wilfrid and Marie, brought Desir to the U.S. from Haiti when he was 4. Today they work at a nursing home, Wilfrid in maintenance and Marie as a housekeeper. While he was a college football star, Desir was a janitor in a labor pool.

“I was raised in the church and went to church every Sunday and Wednesday and sometimes on Fridays,” he said. “It was morals and hard work — that’s what they taught me. They worked hard for everything. They got three kids into college working multiple jobs. Just seeing them work hard and having their faith and doing everything right is something I looked up on.”

So if Desir conducts his business in the NFL the next few years with more maturity than most players, there will be a reason. You grow up quickly when you are accountable to two children and there are midnight runs for diapers or a baby’s medicine, he said. Snooze buttons on the alarm are for other college football players.

“At times it felt like it was too much,” he said. “I was 16, 17 and 18, and I had a daughter I had to worry about and buying diapers and formula. Then I’m worrying about class and practice in college. I had great support from my parents and my wife’s parents. It does get overwhelming, and it takes a toll on you, but I was blessed to have that support.”

It was a panicked life for Desir and his wife, Morgan, but now his children are part of his support group. A rough day of practice is left on the practice field.

“They will get you out of any anger you are feeling real quick if you come home and they want you to play dolls with them, play dress-up,” he said. “Them being kids makes it a lot easier, flipping that switch from tough football guy to dad when you come in the door after practice.”

“I do it all. I pretend I’m invisible, play tag, run around. What they ask me to do, I will do.”

Model teammate

Ross, Lindenwood’s head coach, said Desir was given flexibility in scheduling to balance his family responsibilities but never used it as an excuse to miss practice or skip drills.

“His demeanor on the practice field was outstanding,” Ross said. “With him obviously being the best player in our league and coming to practice every day with that same effort and intensity, it did a lot for our program — especially the young guys — to watch and compete every day. Everybody knew how good he was, and he still pushed himself every day.”

A standout in high school, Desir went to college at Washburn, a Division II program in Topeka, Kansas, where he played as a freshman and sophomore. When money became tight at Washburn and day care became too expensive with two daughters, he and Morgan decided they had to move back to St. Charles and get some help with the children from their families.

Desir was a Division II All-American in 2012 and 2013. He had 13 interceptions in 21 games at Lindenwood, albeit against small college competition. He had 12 interceptions as a freshman and sophomore at Washburn, which is also Division II.

In January, Desir’s agent, Greg Linton, hounded the Senior Bowl All-Star Game to give his client a chance to play against Division I receivers. Desir was invited and was just as sticky a defender against top-level players as he was against D-II players. He intercepted a pass in the game, and scouts were impressed with his practices throughout Senior Bowl week.

“Some people that I know who were in similar positions I was in as a teenager went a different route,” Desir said. “You have to have a goal. That’s what helped me. Some people did not have a goal. I knew I wanted to play in the NFL, and I knew there were steps I had to go through. I set a goal and stuck to it no matter what and fought through the adversity.”

http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2014/5/7/pierre-desir-draft.html

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
So is Al Jazeera a station you watch on a regular basis ?

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
No, I just googled him yesterday to see if anyone had drafted him and saw that in the news section on google.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Just curious ; I have never known anyone who watches the channel , was going to pick your brain !

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

I'm stating things as I see them. If that means punk or cowboy up in your book, so be it.

I don't even think they drafted the best CB in the draft after moving up to get him. I think they took a QB who will bust when Bridgewater would have been there for the taking. I'm not sold on the LB'er they selected either.

Now if that makes me something less than desirable in your book, so be it. But I'm tired of going year in and year out blindly trying to make some "feel good, positive story" out of drafts that suck on a regular basis. If you think this is some great draft, you're entitled to your opinion.

I'm not going to try to say things to degrade you because we disagree. And I really expected a little more from you.

They went the stubborn route by neglecting the WR position. In time I believe we will find that the route they should have taken was Bridgewater and Lee.

I'm going to cowboy up by sticking to my guns rather than be a blind follower that since 1999 led us to 4 wins last year. Sorry if that offends your sensibilities.

Oh, get over it Bubba...I clearly said I don't think of you as a punk. I simply said you were sounding that way. If you can't, then I expect more out of you.

I don't see neglect of the WR position. We have just signed a few undrafted guys who hold real promise.

The deal with WR is you probably have as many lower picks playing as well as high picks. Stars come from all levels of the draft/signing process.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Just curious ; I have never known anyone who watches the channel , was going to pick your brain !

I was going to pick a fight.

Not really,

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Desir is on Draft Academy on ESPN2. It was kind of interesting the way he worked to get his 40 time down for his pro day.

His 40 time at the combine was disappointing. He got down to a 4.47/4,48 in the video for the show.

They also showed Lee's prep work for his pro day. It would have been cool if we had drafted him, because then they would have had 2 Browns on the show.

Now they have Blake Bortles on, and Pierre Desir heading to Pro Day. It's pretty interesting.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
wonder if he can play safety?

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
V
Legend
Legend
V
This:

Quote:

“I was raised in the church and went to church every Sunday and Wednesday and sometimes on Fridays,” he said. “It was morals and hard work — that’s what they taught me. They worked hard for everything. They got three kids into college working multiple jobs. Just seeing them work hard and having their faith and doing everything right is something I looked up on.”

and this:

Quote:

He dug himself a hole as a teenager, becoming a father at 16, when he was still in high school. His grades were so poor, he could not qualify for a scholarship to a Division I football school.

Interesting who qualifies as heroes nowadays.

F
Rookie
Rookie
F
Quote:

Not sure he has the physicality you would want to see there, has the ball skills to be a ballhawk back there at FS just not sure on the hitting aspect.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
This kid is the exact charecter this team needs, He had every oppurtunity to quit in life. Hard work got him to the NFL.

He does not know the meaning of quit. I hope that determination rubs off on the rest of the team.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Quote:

Not sure he has the physicality you would want to see there, has the ball skills to be a ballhawk back there at FS just not sure on the hitting aspect.

If you want a guy that tackles like a punter or kicker? Sure, line him up at FS, lol

Honestly, this guy has no clue what a tackle is. He's a size/speed athlete project who does not like the physical aspect of the game..and that was on a small school level. What do you think will he do when LaGerrette Blount comes running his way, lol

I think this one will bust. Yeah, the Seahawks have big CBs too, but they are football players, they are physical and they tackle. Desir is not, sorry. Maybe in 2-3 years. Wasted pick imho. He won't suit up on sundays as long as Haden, Gilbert and Skrine are healthy, as he won't play ST. I saw him get punked and blocked out of the way by much smaller no name WRs, who at least had some fight in them.

Pure cover CB project. A scheme specific project and you guys wonder why he fell? I can see why, it's clear as day actually. See for yourselves:

http://draftbreakdown.com/video/pierre-desir-vs-lincoln-2013/

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
F
Rookie
Rookie
F
There are plenty of corners that don't like to hit, if he can lock his side of the field down I'm sure they'll excuse him for not being a hitter.

Hell our first rounder Gilbert isn't known for his love of tackling.

P
Legend
Legend
P
What is it that makes you feel I sound that way? Because I don't agree they did the best they could have in the draft?

When push comes to shove I always root for our players. I'm always a Browns fan. But that doesn't mean I have to walk lock step in rhythm and agree with every move they make. I'm not a sheep.

If you feel they maximized this draft and got the best players available to help our team win, more power to you.

I don't feel that way. It's not just about neglecting WR. I thought the LB'er was a weak pick along with the later CB. I'm not even convinced they picked the best CB in the draft at #8.

I'll root for them to do well because they are Browns players. But that doesn't mean I feel this FO did nearly as well as they could have in this draft. Only time will tell.

BTW- I'm sure you would have said the same thing to me had we of drafted Tebow. And you wouldn't have changed my mind then either.

#gmstrong
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I love this pick and was already a huge fan. His life story has been documented in several articles and his perseverance has been nothing short of inspirational. I also happen to live only a few miles away from his home in St. Charles, MO. Pierre is the type of player who will never be a bust because he never stops trying. I can't wait to see him in a Browns uniform and think he will be a great asset in our now stout secondary.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2014 NFL Season NFL Draft 2014 Browns select Pierre Desir with the 127th overall pick

Link Copied to Clipboard