Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
That's the point , isn't it ... Discussion , always room for differing view points/ takes/slants in OUR Country .. At least I hope we continue down this path ..

P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

.. " Too bad they can't really punish the few NFL fans that continue to be negative and joke about the issue. . "

You want to punish free speech , or someone who has a different take on life ?

And actually, that's what this has all boiled down to in our society. NOTHING in those tweets made any reference to Sams being gay. There were no gay comments in the tweets.

This is all about limiting and controlling free speech. An attempt to control anyone and anything that has a contrary view to the gay lifestyle.

I do not promote discrimination and have no problem with gay people. But I also have enough common sense to see that nothing in those tweets addressed or commented on the gay lifestyle either.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

.. " Too bad they can't really punish the few NFL fans that continue to be negative and joke about the issue. . "

If the speech is negative to certian ethnic groups and human equality issues, hell yes!

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

And actually, that's what this has all boiled down to in our society. NOTHING in those tweets made any reference to Sams being gay. There were no gay comments in the tweets.

This is all about limiting and controlling free speech. An attempt to control anyone and anything that has a contrary view to the gay lifestyle.

I do not promote discrimination and have no problem with gay people. But I also have enough common sense to see that nothing in those tweets addressed or commented on the gay lifestyle either.

It's more about equality then it will ever be about controlling free speech. The intent was delivered. Apoligies written.

A free speech rant is a smoke screen to validate poor decisions, that include rude and repulsive comments about others on their race or sexual orientation.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
F
Legend
Legend
F
Quote:

Why are soo many athletes putting their junk out in social media? I wouldn't say crap about nothing,if I was them.Keep your opinions private!! What a knucklehead...

This isn't limited to athletes. I seen many stupid and/or drunken posts on social media that could come back to haunt people that I know personally.

It would seem with all the trouble that people seem to have gotten into by posting things, that others would learn.

The anonymity of the internet creates a lack of thought. Just the way some people respond to others on this board alone, I would think if they were face to face the words and attitude would be chosen differently.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

It's more about equality then it will ever be about controlling free speech. The intent was delivered. Apoligies written.

A free speech rant is a smoke screen to validate poor decisions, that include rude and repulsive comments about others on their race or sexual orientation.

So can you show me this "rant" you speak of in those tweets? I would agree had it been some rant against gays, but it wasn't. People made a mountain out of a mole hill here. And how does a comment from someone infringe on someone elses "equality"?

In that case it would be a statement, not an action. Some action has to be taken to infringe on a persons equality.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

but I took his more as some indignation that he wasn't picked higher for reasons other than his talent, and I don't think that's the case.

What specifically led you to think that?

Here was the quote (unless I missed a more detailed one):

Quote:

"From last season alone, I should've been in the first three rounds -- SEC Defensive player of the year, All-American," Sam said, listing off his 2013 accomplishments, via the Rams official website. "I should have gone in the top three rounds easily."

Legend
Legend
Quote:

j/c

Personally, I'm sick and tired hearing about Michael Sam. Let's focus our attention on the top of the draft, not the bottom...

Just going off the reaction video, my guess is Sam is a top.

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
You can't always tell. But whatever. Even my girlfriend chuckled when I said he got drafted by the Rams.

This seems more a case of the Dolphins being on high alert following their bully scandal and wanting to be in control from a PR standpoint. Hoping to be seen as proactive.

That said, why do people continually trot out the phrase, "the gay lifestyle". Sam seems to live a very similar style of life, just instead of a blonde with C cups, he has a dark haired geek at his side embracing him.

Politicians are puppets, y'all. Let's get Geppetto!

Formerly 4yikes2yoshi0
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

If teams are going to fine people for hurting his feelings by making a stupid comment, then I can't wait to see all of the yellow flags flying on Sundays. "15 yard penalty for hurting the opposing player's feelings with a mean comment. The offending player is disqualified from the game and must leave the sidelines."

Really? It's obvious that this kid doesn't think highly of Sams, either for his orientation, or his play. So what? Does this kid need babied because he is a gay player? I guarantee that he'll hear far worse on Sundays ...... if he makes it to Sundays.

Geesh ..... this kid makes a comment ...... not even a particularly cruel one ..... and he is suspended until he "completes training related to his comments"? Really?

Negative tweet about Michael Sam draws fine for Miami Dolphins' Don Jones | cleveland.com
http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2014/05/negative_tweet_about_michael_s.html

MIAMI -- Miami Dolphins safety Don Jones was fined an undisclosed amount Sunday and will undergo educational training after sending a negative tweet about Michael Sam, the first openly gay player to be selected in the NFL draft.

Shortly after the St. Louis Rams took Sam in the seventh round Saturday, Jones tweeted "OMG" and "Horrible." The tweets were taken down a short time later.

Jones apologized for his comments Sunday and described them as inappropriate. The Dolphins said Jones has been excused from all team activities until he completes training related to his comments.

"We were disappointed to read Don's tweets," coach Joe Philbin said in a statement. "They were inappropriate and unacceptable, and we regret the negative impact these comments had on such an important weekend for the NFL. We met with Don today about respect, discrimination and judgment. These comments are not consistent with the values and standards of our program."

The Dolphins reacted swiftly to Jones' comments in the wake of the team's bullying scandal last year, which embarrassed the NFL and prompted a nationwide debate about workplace harassment.

Jones said he regretted that his tweets took away from Sam's "draft moment."

"I remember last year when I was drafted in the seventh round, and all of the emotions and happiness I felt when I received the call that gave me an opportunity to play for an NFL team, and I wish him all the best in his NFL career," Jones said in a statement. "I am committed to represent the values of the Miami Dolphins organization, and appreciate the opportunity I have been given to do so going forward."

Jones' agent, Chris Martin, could not be reached Sunday for comment.

I don't want to sound down on the guy, but he'll be lucky to make the roster and if he makes the roster, the cause will be that the Rams are afraid to cut him. It was a bad decision to draft him (he simply wasn't worth the selection) just 'to make history'.

Legend
Legend
I was just joking. I thought the worst choice of the post I was replying to was unfortunate.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Quote:

That's the point , isn't it ... Discussion , always room for differing view points/ takes/slants in OUR Country .. At least I hope we continue down this path ..

I'm fine with the discussion, just not in this topic. For example I don't want to discuss anything in this topic that isn't related to Michael Sam or the guy who tweeted about him. Just a time and a place for everything.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Quote:

Quote:

If this was true then why did the guy apologize for tweeting about Sam? This was just a classic subtweet (A tweet that is directed at a person that does not mention that person).

P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

If this was true then why did the guy apologize for tweeting about Sam? This was just a classic subtweet (A tweet that is directed at a person that does not mention that person).

A classic "sub tweet"? And what exactly was said in those tweets that people can distort as such "bad things to say about gays"?

In case you missed the Dolphins response to his tweets, I believe that covers why the apology.

#gmstrong
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Saying "Horrible" when a gay person accomplishes something is considered homophobic in most circles.

"I remember last year when I was drafted in the seventh round, and all of the emotions and happiness I felt when I received the call that gave me an opportunity to play for an NFL team, and I wish him all the best in his NFL career," Jones said in a statement. "I am committed to represent the values of the Miami Dolphins organization, and appreciate the opportunity I have been given to do so going forward."

With that apology it's quite clear that he aimed the tweets at Michael Sam. He could have easily pulled a Tank Carder and didn't say anything, which is a lot better than being openly homophobic.

O
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
O
Cue the guy with the deep voice on NFL films:

"This is the NFL"

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think you might have missed a thread or two that you can make that joke in. Might wanna double check your work.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
It's funny how they're making a bigger deal out of it than Michael Sam.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
No, that's modern day America and I'd guess the vast majority of the free world. The NFL is part of modern day America.

Deal with it... or don't... doesn't really matter.

"If it weren't for my horse, I wouldn't have spent that year in college"
GO ROCKETS
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Why are soo many athletes putting their junk out in social media? I wouldn't say crap about nothing,if I was them.Keep your opinions private!! What a knucklehead...

This isn't limited to athletes. I seen many stupid and/or drunken posts on social media that could come back to haunt people that I know personally.

It would seem with all the trouble that people seem to have gotten into by posting things, that others would learn.

The anonymity of the internet creates a lack of thought. Just the way some people respond to others on this board alone, I would think if they were face to face the words and attitude would be chosen differently.

2 personal policies of mine, the first was enacted within days of getting internet access. The second, a more specific policy regarding this and other message boards. I've mentioned both of these policies in previous posts here at Dawgtalkers:

1. Don't post anything on the internet you wouldn't want your mother to hear you say in a local radio interview.

2. Treat other Dawgs with respect, even if you disagree with them... someday, you might meet them at a tailgate party.

When I'm at a party with close, close friends, we can get pretty raunchy with the humor. Pretty much NOTHING is out-of-bounds. However, NONE of us would ever be stupid enough to tweet that junk to the rest of the world, just as we'd never talk that way in a restaurant or in the stands of a football game. Some things just aren't for public consumption. It's even more basic than "being a good neighbor/citizen"... it's just plain old common sense.

I don't want the entire world to know how rude and inappropriate I can be. That side of me is only for the most trusted individuals in my life- people who can accept it as part of the total 'Clem package' because we've earned each others' lifelong trust. Strangers can (and will) react unpredictably to things like that- and I don't need the added drama that comes from 'unintended consequences.'

"too many notes, not enough music-"

#GMStong
S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

It's funny how they're making a bigger deal out of it than Michael Sam.

Reminds me of that South Park episode (I know, everything can always be pointed back to South Park) when conjoined fetus lady just wanted to live a normal life and Kyle's mom wanted everyone to know that just because she has a conjoined fetus attached to her face that she wasn't to be treated differently... South Park is notorious for putting a message in all of their episodes...

I'm happy for the kid. I'm also happy for the next gay athlete that plays major college sports or pro sports that may not have to deal with this circus.

The people that are anti gay are horrible. The people who support gay rights, but go out of their way to almost provoke everyone else are just as horrible. "HEY LOOK, HERE'S A GAY ATHLETE KISSING HIS SIGNIFICANT OTHER, LOOK, LOOK! WHY AREN'T YOU LOOKING AT THEM KISSING? LET'S WATCH IT 3000 TIMES!"

I dunno, I have played hockey with and against gay people more than a few times since I graduated high school. It was never a big deal. Nobody pointed or singled them out. They were just allowed to go and live their life and play hockey and not have to deal with bigots, or people who may seem like they are supportive, but have their own agendas...

P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Saying "Horrible" when a gay person accomplishes something is considered homophobic in most circles.

I thought all of the attention it got was horrible. I thought it was over sensationalized to death! Actually I thought many other players just as worthy of getting their moment in the sun got ignored because of the entire circus atmosphere created by the media. But that's nothing against Sams.

Quote:

With that apology it's quite clear that he aimed the tweets at Michael Sam. He could have easily pulled a Tank Carder and didn't say anything, which is a lot better than being openly homophobic.

I see nothing "openly homophobic" about any of it. And of course, the Dolphins had nothing to do with the apology, you're right.

#gmstrong
O
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
O
huh?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

... I thought many other players just as worthy of getting their moment in the sun got ignored...

And that's a dang shame! So much publicity over a marginal player. Sam shirts are selling second only to Manziel's. What's wrong with this picture?

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Sam shirts are selling second only to Manziel's. What's wrong with this picture?

Nothing?

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Quote:

Sam shirts are selling second only to Manziel's. What's wrong with this picture?

Nothing?

"There's nothing wrong with it....

My mother was gay."... George Constanza

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I wonder how many people will be upset and offended that we signed "Whitey" as an UDFA?

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
jc

I really don't care at all, it's just stupid he got so much attention for it. It takes away from other great stories we typically hear about when they talk about this guy after every 3rd pick.

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Actually, the funniest thing about Sam is that he thinks that he should have been drafted in the first 3 rounds ...

All three of them.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

1. Don't post anything on the internet you wouldn't want your mother to hear you say in a local radio interview.

2. Treat other Dawgs with respect, even if you disagree with them... someday, you might meet them at a tailgate party.

1. My mother is on my facebook so I follow that one to a tee lol

2. I was told by one poster (several times) that he would kick my ass if he ever saw me at a tailgate lol. So The first time I saw him and knew who he was I walked up and introduced myself to him, and challenged him to back up his threats when we met in person. He backed off right away, and we now get along just fine I am greatfull for those people who I have met face to face as we get along much better than we ever did before I met them, and I thank God every day for most of the people I have met tailgating as I was blessed to meet most of them and I now consider them lifelong friends.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Quote:

So your mom can read all of my postings on Facebook?

Oh wait ..... have I ever posted anything on Facebook?

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

Legend
Legend
Hell my own wife reads my facebook lol I told her if she does not like my comments then shut the hell up and don't read them lol

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I think that the sum of my Facebook postings might be when I said "Thank you" to happy birthday wishes once.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

2. I was told by one poster (several times) that he would kick my ass if he ever saw me at a tailgate lol. So The first time I saw him and knew who he was I walked up and introduced myself to him, and challenged him to back up his threats when we met in person. He backed off right away, and we now get along just fine I am greatfull for those people who I have met face to face as we get along much better than we ever did before I met them, and I thank God every day for most of the people I have met tailgating as I was blessed to meet most of them and I now consider them lifelong friends.

Its funny how guys operate like that
women??....... not so much

You may be in the drivers seat but God is holding the map. #GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Quote:

If you work for a company and find out they hired a gay person.

Then go around telling everyone its "horrible" that they hired him.

Do you not think you will be reprimanded? If not fired?

We hired a guy 5 or 6 years ago, I interviewed him and recommended against hiring him but we hired him any way. I told my boss it was horrible and he wouldn't last 2 years. He wasn't gay, what's the difference if I just say it's "Horrible".... Would my comment have been worse if he was gay?

For the record, he was fired in 16 months...

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
What was he? Are you a bigot towards aholes or something?

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Well you're probably not judging the person based on their work and not sexual orientation or anything like that.

S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

I don't want my kids hanging out with aholes, because then they might turn into aholes.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

I don't want my kids hanging out with aholes, because then they might turn into aholes.

The worst is when two aholes raise a kid. That kid is just destined to be an ahole.

Legend
Legend
Hey!

That sounds like Eugenics....

"too many notes, not enough music-"

#GMStong
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Negative Tweet About Sam Draws Fine

Link Copied to Clipboard