Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 13 of 14 1 2 11 12 13 14
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Three hour meeting with Nike. Will the LeBron brand change?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Still think Cleveland is setting itself up for hurt. All tangible evidence points to a Miami return.

Same here.

I'm not allowing him to pour salt in my wounds, I'm pretty convinced he's not going anywhere as well.

S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

Quote:

Still think Cleveland is setting itself up for hurt. All tangible evidence points to a Miami return.

Same here.

I'm not allowing him to pour salt in my wounds, I'm pretty convinced he's not going anywhere as well.

I'm not going to be crushed if he doesn't come back. I'll be disappointed, but as I said, I'm still excited with what we have. We have a bright future.

I'm 50/50 on him coming back. I think we have serious talent. I like that we're young, but the thing that bothers me is even with Lebron, I don't know if this team is a title contender in 2014-2015. Don't get me wrong, they're going to be really good, and they could win the East, but as a true title contender? I think this team plus Lebron would be better off in 2015-2016. So with all that, does Lebron want to waste a year of his prime to work with young players? The payoff could be incredible, but that's a year you don't get back.

Legend
Legend
Here's something interesting ..... and something that I did not know.

I got some of the info from this article: (too long to post)

http://grantland.com/features/nba-miami-...ts-free-agency/

Because the Heat used the full mid level on Josh McRoberts, they cannot exceed the "apron", which is $4 million over the luxury tax threshold. That means that they cannot, under any circumstances, spend more than $81 million next year.

If they bring back James at $21 million, Bosh at $19, and Wade at $15 million ...... that would be a total of $55 million. That would leave them a total of $26 million that they could spend, period.

They just signed McRoberts to the full midlevel, which IIRC, pays him $5 million in year 1. They also signed Danny Granger to a 2 million deal.

That lowers their total "everything else" money to $19 million.

They owe Cole $2 million, and Napier will get about $1 million.

That gives them 7 players under contract, and no more that $16 million to fill those spots.

Haslem gave up a lot for the team, and I have to think that they give him at least $2.5 million of his $4.6 he gave up. That puts their roster at 8 players, and their total available money at $13.5 million.

They better keep a $million in reserve in case they absolutely have to replace someone. I cannot imagine that they go through the whole year with only the players they start with.

That would leave them no more than $12.5 million, with 7 open spots on the roster.

How do they upgrade anything with that? They can't head into the season with Napier as their primary PG, so maybe they bring back Chalmers for $1 million. Maybe Allen comes back for $1 million. Maybe they get lucky and Andersen comes back for $2 million. That's 11 players under contract, 4 spots to fill, and only $8.5 that they can spend. Period. If they cross the limit, then they cannot do any sign and trade deals until the following July. (I guess that's one of the punishments)

I don't see many more "upgrades" on the horizon. They are very limited, and ownership gets what he wanted, in that the salary expenditure will be reduced, as will his luxury tax exposure.

Man, it looks like Lebron, if he goes back to Miami, will have a starting lineup of himself .... Wade .... Bosh ...... maybe McRoberts .... and Napier? If Wade breaks down again ..... who do they have to play meaningful minutes in his place?

I think that Lebron had a real dilemma if he wants to return to the Heat ..... because this year even more than last ...... a single injury could end things before they start.

Should be interesting.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Same here.

I'm not going to be crushed if he doesn't come back. I'll be disappointed, but as I said, I'm still excited with what we have. We have a bright future.

I'm 50/50 on him coming back. I think we have serious talent. I like that we're young, but the thing that bothers me is even with Lebron, I don't know if this team is a title contender in 2014-2015. Don't get me wrong, they're going to be really good, and they could win the East, but as a true title contender? I think this team plus Lebron would be better off in 2015-2016. So with all that, does Lebron want to waste a year of his prime to work with young players? The payoff could be incredible, but that's a year you don't get back.

The problem is that I think that the team can do much more with Lebron if he signs this year, as opposed to next. The way the team is structured is ideal to add a max deal this year, and next. (not both next season) There is also a possibility ...... depending on how they work sign and trade deals ...... that they could actually bring in Lebron and another max deal, and then also a $10 million deal next year. It is almost scary the possibilities that exist for the Cavaliers. Plus they have those 3 potential 1st round picks.

If I'm Lebron, I look at this and see a truly sustainable championship team. (and maybe it does take a year) However, I think that for him to be a part of the equation, he has to sign this year. I don't think that the Cavaliers will hold their cap space for a year, and I also have to wonder if they will wait patiently next year, or figure they've played that particular song and dance enough.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

S
Legend
Legend
S
With Miami's cap situation, how does all that work out if they S&T with NYK for Melo?

Is that not even doable? I've seen reports that it really isn't and then some that say it is.

P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
It's not really a 'year to gel' type scenario.

You're going to have to have major, groundbreaking roster turnover if you want this team to compete for a championship this season or next. And you're probably going to have to lose Wiggins in that process.

This isn't a video game. You can't send LeBron and a team of mismatched pieces with zero playoff experience on the court and expect to win a title. The East is so weak that you could probably cut through there, but NBA growth takes a lot of time. And playoff basketball is an entirely different animal.

LeBron + another superstar-type, and we're talking Finals. So you just hope the Cavs have such a plan in place.

LeBron + this squad...I think they could get out of the East...but I don't see a legit title contender there. A complete team would wreck them.

P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Carmelo to the Heat is virtually impossible without superstars taking minimum or one of the Big Three on the outs.

S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

It's not really a 'year to gel' type scenario.

You're going to have to have major, groundbreaking roster turnover if you want this team to compete for a championship this season. And you're probably going to have to lose Wiggins in that process.

This isn't a video game. You can't send LeBron and a team of mismatched pieces with zero playoff experience on the court and expect to win a title. The East is so weak that you could probably cut through there, but NBA growth takes a lot of time. And playoff basketball is an entirely different animal.

LeBron + another superstar-type, and we're talking Finals. So you just hope the Cavs have such a plan in place.

LeBron + this squad...I think they could get out of the East...but I don't see a legit title contender there.

That's exactly what I meant. To be honest, I don't blame Lebron if that is one factor holding him back. He's smack dab in the middle of his best years, and there are going to be growing pains with this team. If you watched last year, you know. Irving has been around for a few years and we are still waiting for him to develop to his potential..

The payoff would be so good though, I think it's almost worth wasting that year. Irving is an all star starting caliber player. Wiggins has ridiculous potential. Some of these other guys are so young and can still be molded.

I dunno, I just think something else may need to happen in order for us to have him come back and the Cavs have been so quiet.

Legend
Legend
They cannot exceed $81 million in total salary spending, because they used their entire mid-level. (according to the article I linked) Once they used that entire mid-level, they agreed not to exceed a level $4 million above the luxury tax threshold. No matter what Melo signed for, they would have to pretty much match a return of salaries to the Knicks dollar for dollar. One of the "big 3" would have to head to New York ..... probably along with the 2 players they just signed. (unless it was Lebron that was traded for Melo, but I can't think of too many people who would make that trade)

S
Legend
Legend
S
That just boggles the mind then. Unless these guys are all working together again and take some huge paycut, how can Miami even put something good together?

And by all reports, these guys want their full pay. Including Wade who left 40m+ on the table. That's the one move that makes no sense right now. Maybe it will in a few days I guess.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

That just boggles the mind then. Unless these guys are all working together again and take some huge paycut, how can Miami even put something good together?

And by all reports, these guys want their full pay. Including Wade who left 40m+ on the table. That's the one move that makes no sense right now. Maybe it will in a few days I guess. [/quote

If they had not used the mid-level, then they could have signed guys, then used their Bird rights to re-sign the big 3 to new max deals. However, their owner did not want another year of heavy tax payments. (and I think that this has been borne out by the way things have gone so far)

I see no way that they can give all 3 guys their max deals now. None. Those max deals would be $60+ million, and they have already committed $10 or so million in salaries, and that would give them 7 players under contract?

I never knew this rule about the mid-level exemption until I just read it. I don't know if they can "refuse" the exception after they have already applied it ..... but I kind of doubt it. Who knows though? I suppose that no contracts are official yet.

P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Including Wade who left 40m+ on the table. That's the one move that makes no sense right now. Maybe it will in a few days I guess.

That's Exhibit A in why I don't see him leaving right now.

No way Wade does that without some form of a plan to re-group.

If LeBron leaves, then he stuck a knife in his boy's back on the way out. And seeing as how they're hanging out in Vegas right now...that would be cold.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

With Luol Deng playing with injuries, and in an offense that did not play to his strengths, this was almost a .500 team. (19-21) Deng also did not fit the offense, such as it was, that Brown tried to run.

I think that this team, being in the East, with Wiggins added, and Lebron and the rest of the roster largely unchanged, is a 45-50 win team. How much success they would have in the playoffs would be debatable ...... but I think that they would be a massively improved team in regular season play.

I agree with that.. Which is why I said to win a championship... I still believe that without one more solid veteran addition its a first or second round exit from the playoffs type of team... Put LeBron on our roster, are we way better than the Heat last year? We saw what San Antonio did to them.. heck if they were in the west, odds are they wouldn't have been in the semis, let alone the finals.. Kyrie needs a year or two of playoff runs to see what it's about, Wiggins is nothing more than potential at this point and has to figure out the NBA first, then the NBA in the playoffs... Bennett is a total unknown...

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
I think calling Bennett an unknown is being nice. What has he ever done besides getting drafted number 1 overall because some computer told the Cavs to take him?

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Nike's suddenly bought 250,000 billboards in the area...

S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

I'm seeing that on twitter but can't find any links.

P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Quote:

I'm seeing that on twitter but can't find any links.

This is very much a 'link or it didn't happen' type situation.

I'd be happy to see any evidence that this fan base isn't doing itself in.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I didn't think there were 250,000 billboards in Ohio

President - Fort Collins Browns Backers
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Called my friend at Nike to see if she knew anything. Basically said LeBron isn't on her radar at the company.

She did say that Wiggins mysteriously has no shoe deal yet. Apparently desperate as 'he owes a lot of people right now'. Every company low balling him right now. Jordan brand didn't even contact him, went right for Parker.

Don't know what that means, but there it is.

Legend
Legend
Apparently bad news on the Lebron front ... Anderson Varejao was seen absolutely distraught today.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Phil, you could become a media personality with your source. Roger Brown wishes he had such a connection

P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Not trying to make a journalism career off of one friend who knows nothing about basketball outside of shoe deal negotiations.

...unless someone's hiring?

Legend
Legend
LOL ... saw this on Twitter: Lebron met with Nike today instead of the Heat because they pay him more.

H
All Pro
All Pro
H
I do agree with you Phil, I doubt he comes back.

A lot of folks are setting themselves up for a big let down.

We're trying to throw the ball downfield and he checked the ball down to Trent Richardson and the Indians on the choice.
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Sheridan and much of the other Lebron to Cleveland media will be out of a job if they're all wrong.

For kicks I looked for a directory to buy a billboard. No billboards are for sale in the Cleveland area. link

This news cycle sucks. It's gone from cupcake companies, plane stalking, and now people are spreading rumors about billboards. All this must have much more credibility than the West and LeBron's mom rumors.

Legend
Legend
Chris Sheridan is now saying there's a 90% chance Lebron goes back to Cleveland. Either something is really in the works here or the media just loves setting up Cleveland for disappointment ... or someone in Lebron's camp is an expert-level troller.

I'm still not expecting him to come back though.

S
Legend
Legend
S
Hearing this billboard is at the end of the street where Bill Cowher lives in Strongsville.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R

Legend
Legend
I really wish people in the media would just say "You know what, I have no idea what's going to happen.."

Instead of "He's probably going here, or here.. maybe here.." just so when he goes to one of them they can say they were right...

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Legend
Legend
And of course, they'll just hide behind their "un-named sources"

You know what we should do ... tie the reporter's source validity to their paycheck. So instead of hearing stuff like, "According to my sources, there's a 90% chance Lebron is coming back to Cleveland" ... we we'd hear stuff more along the lines of, "With the sources I've got, I'm willing to wager 15% of my paycheck that Lebron is signing with the Lakers." ... Then we can just gauge the legitimacy of the rumor based on the amount of paycheck they're putting on the line.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

I really wish people in the media would just say "You know what, I have no idea what's going to happen.."

Instead of "He's probably going here, or here.. maybe here.." just so when he goes to one of them they can say they were right...

Slow season for the media. They are grasping at straws and making a huge deal out of every little possible tidbit. Sensationalism gets ratings...so I can't blame them. And really...what would sports media be without predictions?

Its either this circus or we hear more about where JFF took a poo today.

------------------------------
*In Baker we trust*
-------------------------------
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Quote:

I do agree with you Phil, I doubt he comes back.

A lot of folks are setting themselves up for a big let down.

it's a 50/50 shot. cavs or heat. but at the end of the day it's just basketball, and life goes on one way or the other.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Post deleted by DIEHARD

*In Baker we trust*
Legend
Legend
Edit: That's a fake account.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
ah wait...
fake account. my bad.

*In Baker we trust*
Legend
Legend
That's a fake account.

Some people are even worse than the media..

Last edited by ThatGuy; 07/08/14 09:30 PM.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
It's ok, I found a real twitter source

https://twitter.com/Nike_Billboard

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Here's an actual source...

90% chance LeBron returns to Cavs

C
Legend
Legend
C
No one knows anything. People are just throwing stuff out there at this point because if they are right they will get publicity. If they are wrong no one cares or remembers. He even left it open for LeBron to go back to the Heat that way if does go back he can say, "I didn't say 100%."

It's all just a giant poop show.

Page 13 of 14 1 2 11 12 13 14
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum So, where will LeBron end up

Link Copied to Clipboard