Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
its what potheads do. they just don't care.

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Quote:

Quote:

He is probably looking at worse than a year now with this dui. His career might just be over permanently.

Well, technically there is no "year" suspension. It is an indefinite suspension with the ability to apply for reinstatement in a year. I suspect that, even with the DUI, he could still be reinstated if his tests come back clean, and he stays out of trouble in the meanwhile.

At this point who cares? Don't need an idiot like this on our team. He is obviously self destructing and doesn't care about anything anymore except partying.

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Quote:

lol but wait pot is harmless and not addictive right?! lol

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Which makes things WORSE. Pot is not addictive so if somebody can't give it up it is a choice not an addiction.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Which makes things WORSE. Pot is not addictive so if somebody can't give it up it is a choice not an addiction.

It can very much be mentally addicting.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

You would know :P

(This is because David Foster Wallace, the man in PDR's sig, has spoken a lot about pot addiction. Not because PDR blazes it on the regular.)

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Your talking to a guy who smoked many joints every single day for years and I can not argue with that, BUT I gave it up in a heartbeat once I had kids and never looked back. HOWEVER booze and smokes are a physical addition I have never been able to walk away from. There is a huge difference there.

P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Quote:

Your talking to a guy who smoked many joints every single day for years and I can not argue with that, BUT I gave it up in a heartbeat once I had kids and never looked back. HOWEVER booze and smokes are a physical addition I have never been able to walk away from. There is a huge difference there.

Maybe you never had the mental addiction.

It appears Gordon has. It's not about the substance, but the behavior brought on by the use of the substance.

You can be mentally addicted to gambling, or eating junk food, or online shopping.

There's something going on in the brain that cannot control impulse.

Legend
Legend
I have to claim bullcrap. I have an addictive personality I understand the mental and physical parts of addiction as well as anybody, There is a HUGE difference bro.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

nitwit just got a dwi today. how stupid can a guy be lol

Nate Ulrich ‏@NateUlrichABJ ยท 7m
Raleigh, N.C. police say #Browns WR Josh Gordon was arrested on DWI charge. Working on obtaining more info. WKYC first reported the arrest.

I just woke up from a nap, turned on a computer. What a friggin' trainwreck.

'Browns wide receiver Josh Gordon arrested for DWI'

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/browns/2014/07/05/josh-gordon-arrested-dwi/12249595/

He is lost. I'm officially giving up on him.

I hate to say it but he kinda deserves his long suspension now. "He's asking for it."

P.S. Nice job, "sticking to your guns" and not picking up a receiver early in the draft.

C
1st String
1st String
C
If he stays out of trouble?...This guy is on pace to set a new league record for violations,and with great enthusiasm while doing it too.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
-jc-

I have serious doubt that Josh ever plays in the NFL again. One day they will have a documentary talking about Josh and the what could have been. What a waste of talent.

[Linked Image from mypsn.eu.playstation.com]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

If he stays out of trouble?...This guy is on pace to set a new league record for violations,and with great enthusiasm while doing it too.

The simple fact is, though, that he costs the Browns nothing at all while he is suspended. His contract "freezes" if he is suspended for a year. That pushes his free agent period back a year,

Now I have to wonder if Pettine is going to put up with this much longer. He seems to be a no-nonsense guy, but I think that he will probably have his say with Gordon before any suspension is announced.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
C
1st String
1st String
C
Quote:

-jc-

I have serious doubt that Josh ever plays in the NFL again. One day they will have a documentary talking about Josh and the what could have been. What a waste of talent.

I have a feeling the Browns will announce they are releasing him soon.He just doesn't give a crap,and it shows.At this point you would think he would at least get a ride when partying,but no not him.Total knucklehead..

ThatGuy Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Quote:

P.S. Nice job, "sticking to your guns" and not picking up a receiver early in the draft.

Yeah, because rookie WRs always come in and produce immediately...

A True #1 WR is a nice plus, it is not a requirement to have one to be a good team.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Yeah, because rookie WRs always come in and produce immediately...

A True #1 WR is a nice plus, it is not a requirement to have one to be a good team.

Do we HAVE a good team? Are we the Patriots? Do we have a stud quarterback like Tom Brady that can make average WR's look good? Until we do have that quarterback having a stud WR is a pretty important thing.... A guy like that can make an average quarterback look good. *cough* Andy Dalton *cough*
We better score a lot of rushing touchdowns this year.....

This front office knew full well that Josh Gordon was gone for the season. They chose to ignore the position in the draft and have brought in some mediocre free agents to fill out the corp. That's fine. If they believe they can win without a #1 wide receiver then more power to them. But they better win. Gordon being out is no excuse. They drafted a backup quarterback instead of a WR. So Johnny sitting on the bench better win us a lot of games this year. These guys are on the one year plan. I don't see Jimmy hearing any excuses either. They better win a lot of games this year.....

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

-jc-

I have my doubts, too.

He's flotsam now. I'm not saying he was taking advantage of the support system the team offered him, but it was there.

Unless his pattern of behavior snaps, which is often a low odds gamble, it's just going to spiral further.

D
Legend
Legend
D
I called him Davone Bess, Jr and I truly think it's time to move on and away from this ticking timebomb that has seemingly already started to self-implode.

If he can't even stay outta trouble for a month, what he going to do when he's serving a long suspension and doesn't have access to the team's support system? Hell, is he even using the team's support system(s) and programs available? I doubt it...

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Yeah, because we won how many games with JG? He was nice to have, but he didn't make a difference in the W-L section. We can win with decent play. If everybody does their job as a Team, then we'll be okay.

Dawginit since Jan. 24, 2000 Member #180
You can't fix yesterday but you can learn for tomorrow
#GMSTRONG

I want to do it as a Cleveland Brown because that's who I am.โ€
F
Legend
Legend
F
Quote:

Yeah, because we won how many games with JG? He was nice to have, but he didn't make a difference in the W-L section. We can win with decent play. If everybody does their job as a Team, then we'll be okay.

Agreed. Gordon gave us some great highlights, and made the games watchable, but his presence on the field did nothing to turn this teams losing ways into wins. It takes more than 1 person.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Agreed. Gordon gave us some great highlights, and made the games watchable, but his presence on the field did nothing to turn this teams losing ways into wins. It takes more than 1 person.

Taking more talented people off the field and trying to replace them with less talented people doesn't make you better...

The 49ers in 83 and 84 were 25-7, lost in the conf. championship and in 84 won the super bowl... in '84 they drafted Jerry Rice and didn't get out of the first round of the playoffs the next 3 years... so I guess the logic is that Jerry Rice is just one person and did nothing to help them in the W-L category.

yebat' Putin
P
Legend
Legend
P
I have to agree with you. That's one thought process I never understood. Just because you have a poor QB, doesn't make good WR's somehow less valuable.

You add to great players to make a team. Gordon had more receiving yards in 14 games than any WR in the NFL had in 16 games. To try to indicate that type of player won't help you win games with a better supporting cast is something I simply never understood.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Hall of Famer Cris Carter on Josh Gordon: 'The Browns should cut him''

"He loves football more than anything, so I would take that away,'' Carter told cleveland.com. "When I say they should cut him, I say that because I believe that will be the catalyst to help. When you're falling in life, at some point you have to make a bottom floor and say 'this is it for me. I'm going to establish my house on this right here. And i'm going to build up.''........

He emphasized, "Gordon needs to save his life now. He needs to learn to live substance-free, and the team isn't going to be able to help him do that now. If he wants to play football, he's going to have to show substantial progress in the next year for the NFL to allow him to play ever again. I'm not concerned about the Browns. I'm concerned about the team they put around him now.''

A source told cleveland.com that the Browns have reached out to several professionals and are in the process of assembling such a support team for Gordon........

Carter said Gordon needs inpatient rehab.

"We're dealing with addiction,'' he said. "We're dealing with a disease. If Josh had cancer, we'd put him in a treatment center, and right now that's what we need to do. But no one wants to do the hard thing. Everyone wants to keep coddling him the same way they did in high school, the same way they did him at Baylor, which he had problems (there), and eventually it's going to blow up. Now it's blowing up in front of the National Football League and his career is in jeopardy.''........

"The league has given him all the help that one could desire,'' he said. "And our employee assistance program is as good or better than any employee assistance program in the country. He's getting all the help. This is addiction, man. It's not about help, man. It's about looking inside of yourself and realizing that I have a problem and for him, he just won't admit that.....

Carter stressed that the NFL recovery community is reaching out to Gordon.

"We see these kids come into the league, we have all of these resources and everything, and then we sent them into society worse off than when they came into the league,'' he said. "I believe it's part of our responsibility and we have a team of people with the Commissioner (Roger Goodell), trying to reach out to Josh. If Josh and his people, if they want some freaking help .... All they have to do is call the Commissioner's office, call Cris Carter, we've got a bunch of other resources that we would love to try to help the kid -- but it's up to Josh.''

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ss..._medium=twitter

maybe he should talk to johnny too.

Last edited by pblack18707; 07/07/14 01:49 PM.

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
F
Legend
Legend
F
Quote:

Quote:

Taking more talented people off the field and trying to replace them with less talented people doesn't make you better...

The 49ers in 83 and 84 were 25-7, lost in the conf. championship and in 84 won the super bowl... in '84 they drafted Jerry Rice and didn't get out of the first round of the playoffs the next 3 years... so I guess the logic is that Jerry Rice is just one person and did nothing to help them in the W-L category.

He's taking himself of the field, so really it doesn't matter.

I'm not arguing he isn't a talent, but his talent alone is not carrying this team to victory. And Jerry Rice did not carry a struggling SF team to the SB by himself.

San Francisco
1981 - (13-3) SB Champs
1982 - Strike Season
1983 - (10-6) Division Champs (Lost Conf Champs)
1984 - (15-1) SB

Cleveland
2010 (5-11)
2011 (4-12)
2012 (5-11)
2013 (4-12)

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
Legend
Legend
I can't agree with Carter. I respect what he went through and how he worked his way out of trouble.

But, Having Football taken away from him is exactly what the suspension will do. us cutting him means that if he ever gets his act together, he won't be ours. He'll be someone elses superstar.

If I understand things correctly, while under suspension, he costs us no money, doesn't count towards a roster spot, doesn't count anything towards the cap and if or when he is allowed to return, he's ours for the balance of his rookie contract.

That is a no lose situation for us, why in the hell would be cut him. that's just flat out dumb

#GMSTRONG

โ€œEveryone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.โ€
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
1st String
1st String
Quote:

I have to claim bullcrap. I have an addictive personality I understand the mental and physical parts of addiction as well as anybody, There is a HUGE difference bro.

You might have an addictive personality but, are you an alcoholic or drug addict? If not, how can you say that. That's like a man who has never had breast cancer pounding the podium about what it's like to have a double mastectomy.

If you haven't walked in his moccasins, you have no idea what he (and millions upon million of other alcoholics and addicts) are going through.

Never have hope. You wonโ€™t be disappointed.
1st String
1st String
Quote:

I can't agree with Carter. I respect what he went through and how he worked his way out of trouble.

But, Having Football taken away from him is exactly what the suspension will do. us cutting him means that if he ever gets his act together, he won't be ours. He'll be someone elses superstar.

If I understand things correctly, while under suspension, he costs us no money, doesn't count towards a roster spot, doesn't count anything towards the cap and if or when he is allowed to return, he's ours for the balance of his rookie contract.

That is a no lose situation for us, why in the hell would be cut him. that's just flat out dumb

Amen. I agree. He's worth nothing to anyone right now. He's not costing the team anything from a business standpoint. We took a major risk drafting the guy to begin with. Why not hold out and see if he can get clean and pick up his career further on down the road. He could clean up and be the superstar he should be. Or, he'll crash and burn.

It's not rocket science. He will get and stay sober or he won't. Either way, I'm certain that they guy has a future of filling specimen bottles on a very regular basis.

I look at this young man and it brings back some very sad memories of Maurice Clarett.

Never have hope. You wonโ€™t be disappointed.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I'm not concerned about the Browns.

Yes, we know that Cris.

Quote:

If Josh had cancer, we'd put him in a treatment center, and right now that's what we need to do. But no one wants to do the hard thing.

Cris, he's a grown man, an adult, the Browns cannot commit him to inpatient treatment without his consent.. only a judge can do that.

Quote:

This is addiction, man. It's not about help, man. It's about looking inside of yourself and realizing that I have a problem and for him, he just won't admit that.....

Cris, then what good is inpatient treatment going to do if he hasn't admitted that he needs it yet?

I respect what Carter did to turn his own life around but his statements are contradictory.. on one hand he's talking about forcing the man into rehab.. on the other hand he's saying nothing is going to help him until he decides he wants the help...

And I don't know the answer to this, maybe somebody does.. but if the Browns were to cut Gordon as Carter suggests and nobody picks him up because he has huge suspension hanging over his head.. could he still take advantage of all of these great resources the NFL offers if he's not on a roster?

yebat' Putin
P
Legend
Legend
P
I'm not even sure if he can take advantage of those NFL resources while he's suspended.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I just don't know whether or not I but that Gordon has some huge drug or drinking problem ..... other than hanging with the wrong people, giving into peer pressure, and getting caught. IN short, I think that he is being stupid about the way he lives his life, caring so much about what his friends think that he is disregarding the fact that they really don't care about his career or future at all. Even if I were the biggest pothead in th world, if I had a friend who could not smoke pot or he would lose his job, I would never do it around him. I have an old friend who went to work for the Post Office many years ago. He used to enjoy a joint on the weekend. I will never forget the one weekend a bunch of us went out, and he hit one joint someone had .... and was in a panic for the next 3 weeks, because he was sure that he was going to face a random test and get busted, and lose his job. I don't remember him ever smoking again. He was strong enough to tell his friends that he could no longer take part in that one aspect of their friendship, but other stuff, like going to concerts, and hanging out at the local bar, were fine. I don't think that Gordon is strong enough to do that. It sure seems like he is the type that has a really desperate need to fit in.

I know that when I drank, there were many nights where I was right on that 0.08 range .... and could have been slightly over or under, depending on how the bartender poured. The general rule of thumb is that you lose 0.01% over 40 minutes of not drinking. That means that Gordon would have been OK if he would have sat for another 40 minutes or so. (although they can still arrest you for DUI, even if your Breathalyzer test comes back at or below the limit, if you "appear impaired", which the officer said Gordon did) To me that doesn't necessarily say that he was bombed, and had no regard whatsoever for the law. It could just mean that he didn;t figure his drinks right, or that he overestimated his sobriety by a very small margin.

So ...... I don't think that my concern is so much that Gordon has some horrible substance abuse problem. He could ..... but from here, it seems like he has a responsibility/stupidpeer pressure problem. I think that he is hanging out with the wrong people, and they are helping him stay on the wrong path.

I think that Gordon wants to impress his friends ..... and if one says "Come on dude ..... just hit it once or twice. It'll be out of your system before anyone finds out.", then I think that he would do it. I think that he was stupid to go out drinking while waiting for news on his suspension, especially after being pulled dover for speeding with a Cheech and Chong show appearing when the windows were opened. (according to the cops, anyway) One of his friends says "Hey Josh, I know you can't .... but do you mind if I ....", and Josh isn't strong enough to say "No".

He needs a new circle of friends, though, because even if he is not addicted, he is going to get into constant trouble because of the influence of his "friends" .... and they will hang around as long as Gordon has the money to keep the party going.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
This will be a very short hearing....

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

This will be a very short hearing....

I agree, though I am not laughing.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

So ...... I don't think that my concern is so much that Gordon has some horrible substance abuse problem. He could ..... but from here, it seems like he has a responsibility/stupidpeer pressure problem. I think that he is hanging out with the wrong people, and they are helping him stay on the wrong path.

I agree with that.. I don't think it's like he's going to start getting the shakes if he doesn't get his weed or alcohol fix consistently... I just think he has surrounded himself with people who don't give a crap about him except for his money and his fame and will ride that ship as long as they can...

The guy needs a fulltime babysitter/mentor/drill sergeant more than he needs rehab..

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
And if you aren't familiar with this Hayden "Fats" Thomas guy that bailed him out.. he's a peach of a guy. Just the kind of guy you want hanging out with your players. Folks in this area are very familiar with him, trouble follows him everywhere and if you are famous he will milk you for all he can and then leave you dry.... Look him up.

yebat' Putin
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Look him up.

I don't need to, I can imagine what Fats looks like and how he operates.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
As someone with a few buddies in the NC area, this "Fats" guy is definitely trouble. He's known in the area for drugs/theft/crime/etc ... and he leeches onto athletes.

Either way, dumb on Gordon's part. I hate the excuse that "he's young" ... yeah? Well so am I ... does that mean I can act like a complete idiot without any consequences? And on top of that, this is a PATTERN with him. He's off the edge.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Amen. I agree. He's worth nothing to anyone right now. He's not costing the team anything from a business standpoint. We took a major risk drafting the guy to begin with. Why not hold out and see if he can get clean and pick up his career further on down the road. He could clean up and be the superstar he should be. Or, he'll crash and burn.

It's not rocket science. He will get and stay sober or he won't. Either way, I'm certain that they guy has a future of filling specimen bottles on a very regular basis.

I look at this young man and it brings back some very sad memories of Maurice Clarett.

That's funny, he reminds me more of Carter. Only I think Gordan can be better on the field if he cleans up his act.

#GMSTRONG

โ€œEveryone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.โ€
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I just don't know whether or not I but that Gordon has some huge drug or drinking problem ..... other than hanging with the wrong people, giving into peer pressure, and getting caught.

Even though it's just pot, his drug of choice is ruining his career, obviously. If he was doing something else for a living it might not matter that he's a pothead. But he's in a field that frowns on marijuana use, big time. I guess what I'm saying is even though I consider pot a soft drug of sorts it still is ruining this man's career.... And of course he's doing this all to himself...

The obvious thing to do would be quit getting high, but addiction can be a bitch sometimes, even though it's 'just pot.' Sometimes it's really hard to quit. Smoking pot is part of his life and has been for several years now, and it looks like he's not ready to give it up just yet.

Welcome yet again to the Factory of Sadness // Parade of Disaster.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

I just don't know whether or not I but that Gordon has some huge drug or drinking problem ..... other than hanging with the wrong people, giving into peer pressure, and getting caught.

Even though it's just pot, his drug of choice is ruining his career, obviously. If he was doing something else for a living it might not matter that he's a pothead. But he's in a field that frowns on marijuana use, big time. I guess what I'm saying is even though I consider pot a soft drug of sorts it still is ruining this man's career.... And of course he's doing this all to himself...

The obvious thing to do would be quit getting high, but addiction can be a bitch sometimes, even though it's 'just pot.' Sometimes it's really hard to quit. Smoking pot is part of his life and has been for several years now, and it looks like he's not ready to give it up just yet.

Minor correction to make a distinction: His choices and decisions are ruining his career, not the drug(s). HE is the problem. It's not the pot, alcohol, or whatever else you want to put in there; it's Josh Gordon that is ruining his career.

Nothing is making him do it. He isn't a victim. He is choosing this.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Minor correction to make a distinction: His choices and decisions are ruining his career, not the drug(s). HE is the problem. It's not the pot, alcohol, or whatever else you want to put in there; it's Josh Gordon that is ruining his career.

Nothing is making him do it. He isn't a victim. He is choosing this.

I agree, that's why I said, "and of course he's doing this all to himself..." It IS all his fault.

Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Josh Gordon hearing set for late July

Link Copied to Clipboard