Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
V
Legend
Legend
V
That's a good point. I was just wondering about it because of the impropriety of agreeing to a long-term contract before the trade was made. Not sure why they would want that type of attention.

It just seemed odd, but I really don't have much knowledge of how stuff like that works.

L
Legend
Legend
L
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

The 2 teams better be careful here .......

I can't believe either team would be that stupid, especially since one of the parties was punished for it in the past.

I do wonder who leaked the information to yahoo sports, though.

Usually when something is "leaked" it is a purposeful act. May be to attract other FAs to the team.

KING

Say a Ray allen or Marion?

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
Legend
Legend
I'm not sure what leaking that Kevin Love resigning for 5 years would do in regards to getting Ray Allen as a Free Agent ... he's likely retiring before Love even opts out of his current contract. Marion isn't going to be around much longer either.

L
Legend
Legend
L
Because the scuttlebut is they both are waiting for the trade to become official before they agree to come ...i wasn't necessarily talking about the extension, just the fact that a trade agreement was in place

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Report: NBA could veto Kevin Love trade if future contract is in place - CBSSports.com ...

I posted this earlier in the thread ... really we have nothing to worry about unless somebody did something really stupid and put the agreement in writing (or recorded a conversation). I think most people know the rules about this one ... considering the Cavs themselves have been burned in the past with Boozer because they knew they couldn't "agree" to any sort of side-deal while a player was under contract.

Legend
Legend
And the Heat had no idea what LeBron, Bosh, and Wade were all going to agree to before they set all those transactions in place.

yebat' Putin
S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

Quote:

Report: NBA could veto Kevin Love trade if future contract is in place - CBSSports.com ...

I posted this earlier in the thread ... really we have nothing to worry about unless somebody did something really stupid and put the agreement in writing (or recorded a conversation). I think most people know the rules about this one ... considering the Cavs themselves have been burned in the past with Boozer because they knew they couldn't "agree" to any sort of side-deal while a player was under contract.

Yea and unlike the boozer thing, all sides are together, whereas boozer had other ideas. From minnesota's end they're getting back a big piece. It's not often when you see a team lose a really good player that everyone knows is leaving anyway, and still get back that big of a return. Look up the trades of Garnett, Melo, Howard, etc....

Minnesota has all the reason to keep this deal in one piece.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I'm not sure what leaking that Kevin Love resigning for 5 years would do in regards to getting Ray Allen as a Free Agent ... he's likely retiring before Love even opts out of his current contract. Marion isn't going to be around much longer either.

Because those guys are looking to be mercenaries and take one last shot at a title before they hang it up.

Just the fact that the trade was leaked, not necessarily the part about the extension

KING

You may be in the drivers seat but God is holding the map. #GMSTRONG
W
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
W
J/C

Looks like the Cavs signed another big.

Alex Kirk

CLEVELAND – The Cleveland Cavaliers have signed free agent center Alex Kirk, Cavaliers General Manager David Griffin announced today from Cleveland Clinic Courts. Per league policy, terms of the contract were not released.

An early entry candidate, the 7-0, 245-pound center went undrafted in the 2014 NBA Draft after appearing in 101 games (86 starts) over three seasons at the University of New Mexico. He averaged 10.0 points on .488 shooting, 6.8 rebounds and 1.7 blocks in 25.3 minutes per game over his collegiate career, where he was also a two-time All-MWC Defensive Team selection. Last season, he averaged 13.3 points on .490 shooting from the field, 8.7 rebounds and 2.7 blocks in 32.0 minutes per game, while receiving his second All-MWC Defensive Team honor.

During the 2014 Samsung NBA Summer in Las Vegas, Kirk played five games for the Cavaliers Summer League team entry and averaged 5.2 points on .524 shooting and 3.4 rebounds in 15.4 minutes per game.

#gmstrong.
Legend
Legend
Not exactly sure this solves our woes in the middle. I'm also not sure how he fits on our roster, as last I checked we already had 15. Still, I guess it's a big body.

L
Legend
Legend
L
I watched him in summer league...I pray to God this isn't their solution..he's not good at all.

Legend
Legend
He redefined lumbering in Summer league play. Watching him "run" the court was almost painful. I do seem to recall him setting a couple of decent picks .... and he looked like a moderately OK rebounder, and a decent passer ...... but man, watching him run hurts. Seriously.

But, he is tall ..... so there's that ......

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
L
Legend
Legend
L
Quote:

He redefined lumbering in Summer league play. Watching him "run" the court was almost painful. I do seem to recall him setting a couple of decent picks .... and he looked like a moderately OK rebounder, and a decent passer ...... but man, watching him run hurts. Seriously.

it was like watching Z run with two twisted ankles carrying shaq on his back

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

it was like watching Z run with two twisted ankles carrying shaq on his back

On crutches.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

N
Legend
Legend
N
he's tall with a long standing reach and right now Haywood is our only "big" center and he may not be healthy enough to play.

and heck, if he was left-handed, the Indians might sign him to throw a few games down the stretch too.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
That's true. However, that doesn't change what I saw in the Summer League. He is stiff as stiff can be, and he ran like a man who is not blessed with having knees.

I only saw a very little of the other big we traded for. (Dwight Powell) I think that he only played a couple of minutes in one game.

I know nothing about Eric Murphy and Malcolm Thomas.

N
Legend
Legend
N
He was very slow, unathletic ground-bound big man who also didn't seem very strong. But, he was still willing to set hard picks, seemed to have good feet, and had some touch on his shots.

Considering our current backup is an unknown Haywood, I am not too surprised we are giving him a shot, but I am not expecting much from him either.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Like I said, he seemed able to set a pick, and he could rebound a bit.

There was a PF I liked in the summer league, who has played overseas last year. I can't remember his name, but he was really nimble. (I had to double check ... Jack Cooley)

Cleveland Cavaliers announce the signing of free agent center Alex Kirk | cleveland.com
http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2014/08/cleveland_cavaliers_announce_t_1.html#incart_river

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- The Cleveland Cavaliers have signed free agent center Alex Kirk.

The 7-0, 245-pound center caught the attention of the coaching staff while in Las Vegas at the 2014 NBA Summer League. Kirk played five games for the Cavaliers Summer League team and averaged 5.2 points on 52 percent shooting. He also grabbed 3.4 rebounds in 15.4 minutes per game.

Kirk went undrafted in the 2014 NBA Draft after a strong career at New Mexico where he averaged 10.0 points on nearly 49 percent shooting to go with 6.8 rebounds and 1.7 blocks in 25.3 minutes per game over his collegiate career. Kirk, known as a defensive-minded big man, was a two-time All-MWC Defensive Team selection. (Hopefully!)

The Cavs have recently been searching for another center to help protect the rim as the two currently on the roster, Anderson Varejao and Brendan Haywood, are both over the age of 30 and have dealt with injuries recently.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

Not exactly sure this solves our woes in the middle.

Do Cleveland fans ever focus on the positive? I know that I have been very negative in regards to the Browns over the years, but they win 4 games a year. I think that is justified.

We have LeBron. He is the BEST player in the league.

We have Love. He has to be at least considered one of the top 10 players in the league.

We have Kryie, who is a dynamic player.

I think LeBron was 3rd in scoring, Love was right behind him at 4, and I think Kyrie was in the top 15.

We have a coach who is going to run a lot of motion offense w/elements of the Princeton offense. We have the floor spacing we need because we signed Love. LBJ will be a great scorer, but an even better facilitator in that offense. Waiters will run a bunch of stuff off of the baseline and Kyrie will spot up some, drive some, do pick and rolls w/both LBJ and Andy, and be part of the weave at the top. We have Thompson to be a Cedric Maxwell type of player and clean up the garbage. Andy is a perfect fit for Blatt's offense. He is active, sets picks, and can pass. We will have great floor spacing w/Love, Miller, Jones, Kyrie, and possibly Allen on the perimeter. Love is an excellent rebounder and outlet passer. LBJ will change the culture of how to play defense. He sucked at D when he first came in. It's about wanting to defend and I think we have enough athleticism to accomplish that. We won't be great defensively, but we are going to score on a high percentage of our shots [I am predicting top 5 FG percentage and maybe even first] and that will help our defense.

I am really excited about this and frankly getting sick of the negative posts about a team that has accomplished miracles this off-season. What's next.............we don't like the mascot or the color of the cheerleaders uniforms?

I know it's Cleveland and it is hard to accept positive thinking, but man, this team is legit.

Btw----------you guys can save how I don't know basketball. I realize that. You have already made that quite clear.

Legend
Legend
I'm excited to watch good Cavs basketball.

We will most likely at a minimum make the ECF. Possibly the NBA Finals..

But being excited about that doesn't mean I can't look at the rest of the team and see the glaring defensive holes, and the lack of bigs..

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Do Cleveland fans ever focus on the positive? I know that I have been very negative in regards to the Browns over the years, but they win 4 games a year. I think that is justified.

We've been focusing on positives for 2 months straight now.

Does that mean we should just ignore all potential Achilles Heels in our team? Or if we lose in the Finals just say, "Oh whoops ... guess we should of addressed that". I mean it's awesome we're basically going to be the 2000s' version of the Phoenix Suns, but the Suns also won as many championships as the Cavs did with those amazing offensive teams.

And if you don't think people are going to enjoy this season, you're nuts.

P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
The real question is how Kirk fits in the Princeton offense.

Seriously, though, I do hope this guy ends up being a foul machine big, and we have something else in the works.

Just got to find a semi-capable big who will play for the minimum. That may be easier once we start winning some games and get more national buzz.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

AREN'T*

whoops typo.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

AREN'T*

whoops typo.

Whew. For a minute there I thought that I was going to be in the minority, because I plan on enjoying the heck out of this season,

Legend
Legend
Wait a sec ... That's a double negative ... I think I was right the first time. Yep, time to step away from the keyboard for while.

Legend
Legend
Man, I missed that too.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

That's a double negative ...

I'll take Fans for 200 Alex...

"What is the definition of two browns fans?"

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
V
Legend
Legend
V
You have not been focusing on the positives. And no, you shouldn't ignore the weaknesses or issues, but Good God............how much do you really expect in one off-season.

Look, you may say I am stupid, but that's not even close to the truth. I know what's happening here. Some of you wanted to keep Wiggins and are pouting a bit because we made that trade. That's your right, but I think it was a wonderful trade in that Love fits our needs way more than what we gave up. He is also proven. It isn't about potential. Most BB guys, like Coach K, agree.

I am not going to sit here and DWELL on the negatives over and over and over again. Gee, our backup center is weak. Seriously?

Enjoy the ride, bro. It's going to be fun!

P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Some of you wanted to keep Wiggins and are pouting a bit because we made that trade

Name three.

PDR #898447 08/12/14 09:11 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
Is that an order? LMAO..........you are a trip.

YTown, Excel, and King.

Legend
Legend
What does everyone talking about us needing bigs have to do with Wiggins, Bennett, or Love?

None of them are even taller than LeBron...

We gave up defense in Wiggins to add offense in Love..

Some of us would like to discuss what other defense, and big men we could add..

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
I guess on the bright side keeping Spencer Hawes wouldn't have made any sense now. But that offense would have been ridiculous

Legend
Legend
Quote:

YTown, Excel, and King.

How am I pouting? I have said that I have accepted the trade, and I am OK with the terms of this deal. I hate giving up a talent like Wiggins, but to get a talent you often have to give up a talent. I have said that, if you bother to go read what I have said since the trade.

What I was absolutely not OK with was the reported possible trade that would have stripped the team of all of its assets just to get Love. I did not want to get into a situation where we added Love, bt then had no ability to improve the rest of the team around our "Big 3". I am satisfied with the way the trade turned out, if not thrilled about giving up Wiggins. If I could have made the trade without him, I would have, but I truly believe that the cavaliers tried to do just that, and were unable to do so. I am OK with the way it turned out.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

YTown, Excel, and King.

Dont speak for me. I can do that on my own just fine.

I said I didnt want to give up too much, and I said I would be happy either way.

I said that giving up Wiggins, Bennett, Waiters, and three first rounders, as what one of the reports said was too much.

I still hate to see Wiggs and AB go, but I am happy to have KLove

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

What does everyone talking about us needing bigs have to do with Wiggins, Bennett, or Love?

None of them are even taller than LeBron...

We gave up defense in Wiggins to add offense in Love..

Some of us would like to discuss what other defense, and big men we could add..

We are not allowed, Vers said so

Legend
Legend
Seems like a good hire, and a good fit.

Report: Ex-Bucks coach Larry Drew to join Blatt's staff in Cleveland - CBSSports.com
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-bask...ff-in-cleveland

Larry Drew has agreed to become a Cleveland Cavaliers assistant coach, according to Gary Washburn of the Boston Globe. Drew spent last season on the sidelines in Milwaukee following three as the head coach of the Atlanta Hawks. He was fired by the Bucks after they had agreed to make Jason Kidd his replacement. For the millionth time, Milwaukee, that wasn't a good look.

Anyway, Drew brings a wealth of NBA experience to David Blatt's staff. Before becoming Atlanta's head coach, he was an assistant there from 2004 to 2010. He's been in the coaching ranks since 1992, when he got his start with the Los Angeles Lakers.

Drew visited Blatt in Israel two years ago, and at the time there was speculation that he might want to recruit him for his Hawks staff. Now he'll get to work with Blatt in Cleveland, and if the Cavs are as successful as they should be, being associated with them can only be good for Drew's chances of getting another head-coaching job.

Legend
Legend
Yes sorry .. we cannot discuss anything else with the team now. We must all sport Love hard-ons and spend the next 3 months planning the parade for next July.

And geeze Vers, for someone who spends more time than anybody whining about people criticizing your opinions, you certainly tell other people what their opinions are and what they should be talking about instead. I'm pouting about Wiggins?? Give me a break. It would of been really nice to keep Wiggins if we could of, but everyone here wanted Love on the team. Sorry if not everybody shares your opinion that we're now a flawless, unstoppable juggernaut that's penned in for the next 5 titles. But that doesn't mean people hated trading for Love.

Are we going to be a freaking amazing team to watch? Yes! Name one person who disagrees. But there are still some major questions as to what's going to happen on defense ... and we're one or two injuries (on an injury prone roster) from having some pretty big problems. When's the best time to address these issues? The off-season, maybe?

No you're right ... let's just roll around in a pile of money for the next three months in bouts of maniacal laughter, while we wax poetic about all the imaginary plays we can picture Love/Irving/Lebron making in our new offense and plotting out the victory parade for next summer. It's so much more fun than enjoying and talking about the awesome play we're actually seeing during the regular season. Besides, the season itself is the time to gripe about the massive holes in our team and how our front office was stupid for not addressing it in the off-season.

Legend
Legend
On a new note ... NBA schedule is coming out today! Can't wait to see when the Cavs will be in the area. Might go to a couple of Laker/Clipper games if the price isn't astronomical.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

On a new note ... NBA schedule is coming out today! Can't wait to see when the Cavs will be in the area. Might go to a couple of Laker/Clipper games if the price isn't astronomical.

Good luck since the Lakers games are where celebs want to be seen and the Clippers owner is trying to recoup $2 billion.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend

I liked the Clippers when they were terrible. Back in 2009 or 10 we were able to get a few seats in a luxury suite for only $50 a person ... and the rest of the seats were filled with Cavs fans!

Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum NBA Thread, Part 2

Link Copied to Clipboard