Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

If they try to excessively punish him then Josh will just take them to court and use Ohio law to make them revoke it. Josh didn't fail anything by state law.

In his contract it was stated that he couldn't do drugs and that he would be subject to drug tests. He did drugs and failed drug tests. It has nothing to do with state law. He works for a private entity that he signed a contract with.

Well, if you feel like facts and logic have a place in this thread ...

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
CHSDawg #900788 08/14/14 08:01 AM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Good to hear. But...

What is an OVI? I am not familiar with that abbreviation.
Are we sure that this is his 1st OVI?

OVI - operating a vehicle impaired. In many states, that's become the new "norm" for a charge, instead of DUI.....driving under the influence.

If he can weasel his way out of a drug test then a DUI/OVI is no problem. He'll pay some money, do some "community service" and get it down to reckless driving. That's what most people with his privilege do.

I could have sworn that it was already stated that the charges were going to be changed and that he wasn't charged with a DUI/DWI/OVI.

Checking now.... he has a court date set for August 26th.

Case #1
Offense Code - Description - Statute
5405 - Traffic DRIVING WHILE IMPAIRED - 20-138.1
9955 - Traffic CIVIL REVOCATION DR LIC (30) - 20-16.5

Case #2
Offense Code - Description - Statute
4450 - Infraction SPEEDING - 20-141(B)

I expect that the DWI will get plead down and he will pay fines on the others. This isn't a "famous athlete" thing, either... it's a common "I'm paying my lawyer a ton of money" thing. I know people that have gotten out of a half dozen DUI's that way... simply because their lawyer is buddies with the right judge(s). I would expect that his lawyer(s) will find a way to be friends with lots of the correct people down there.

It looks like his license is suspended now (automatic 30 day suspension), however, so hopefully he's being smarter about that. That said, a 30-day suspension in North Carolina holds no weight in Ohio if his license is an Ohio license. It just means he can't drive in North Carolina. At worst, he will lose his license for 6 months, but he'll have full driving privileges for work... the courts are easy that way.

On top of that, there is an election coming up for a new D.A., so I really doubt that his lawyers will find anyone to get buddy buddy with.

Elections are great times to find friends. Everyone needs some funds.

Amen. Especially when you have a friend who happens to be a billionaire, and you yourself are a multimillionaire.
Friends are easy to find.

And, I'm not familiar with Raleigh's laws, but it's fairly common up here to have a DWI/DUI/OVI plead down to Reckless Operation (Reckless Driving down there). It would not surprise me at all to see a deal cut where he pleads guilty to the lesser Class 2 Misdemeanor, and as was already suggested, it would not surprise me at all if this case gets a continuance until after the season (and the election), during which time I'm sure a campaign donation or two might be made.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

You really had to revive this stupid ass thread? It's always refreshing reading all the posts how Gordon is the victim.

It's truly unbelievable.

If it erks you that much, don't read them... you aren't the board police.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

If they try to excessively punish him then Josh will just take them to court and use Ohio law to make them revoke it. Josh didn't fail anything by state law.

Outside of one bloggers opinion and a few on this board, has anyone heard any confirmation that Josh's lawyers might actually do this? It seems like a logical next step to keep Josh on the field for the next year or so before a ruling in an Ohio court can be determined.

Josh's lawyers would be stupid to tip their hand on what they may or may not do next before Goodell makes his decision.

Good point. But they could also use that as a bargining chip too. Something like, "drop it to 0 or we'll tie you up in Ohio court for the next 18 months, while Josh continues to play, and we know this will all get thrown out by the courts anyway."

But yes, I agree they wouldn't want to call this out to the media. I was just wondering if it was leaked.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
M
Legend
Legend
M
Again, stating the very obvious without any reference to details of the case/test etc and with no reference to OH Law or NFL regulations ....

The fact that Gordon was pronounced with a failed drug test at the time of the draft.... what nearly 3 months ago .... and no final decision has been announced, tells everyone that this is not a clear cut, open and shut case. Regardless of whether its a technicality, right/wrong, media driven or whatever .... I'd guess they are negotiating or the NFL is finding a suitable story-line for their decision.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Quote:

Again, stating the very obvious without any reference to details of the case/test etc and with no reference to OH Law or NFL regulations ....

The fact that Gordon was pronounced with a failed drug test at the time of the draft.... what nearly 3 months ago .... and no final decision has been announced, tells everyone that this is not a clear cut, open and shut case. Regardless of whether its a technicality, right/wrong, media driven or whatever .... I'd guess they are negotiating or the NFL is finding a suitable story-line for their decision.

Or...they just want to appear to be in thoughtful consideration of the case.

I just don't buy the whole "longer it takes, the better the chances" argument. It IS an open and shut case if you read the rules. The question is whether they want this to drag out in the courts (in which there seems to be a discrepancy under Ohio labor law). And I remember reading somewhere that they would pursue that.

The other side of this is that the NFL would be opening themselves up to a legal battle everytime there is a violation if they cave in to Gordon's legal team. And I'm pretty sure they don't want that.

Should be interesting.

E
Legend
Legend
E
I think the premise here from most is that if it is truly an open & shut case...black & white...no Gray. Then it should have been ruled on immediately after the appeal was heard. Or 24 hours, or 48 hours. Not this 2-4 week thing!

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I think the premise here from most is that if it is truly an open & shut case...black & white...no Gray. Then it should have been ruled on immediately after the appeal was heard. Or 24 hours, or 48 hours. Not this 2-4 week thing!

jmho

That is exactly my line of thinking. The fact that this is dragging on seems to indicate that they are at least considering doing something other than following the black and white rule as it has been explained.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Well, it has dragged on partly because Gordon has the right, and exercised said right, to appeal. That is the primary thing that has made this take so long.

Since that appeal, it hasn't been that long, but I would assume that the arbitrator is taking his time - probably at the request of the team and the league who are likely trying to negotiate an amicable resolution. Eventually, though, the arbitrator won't wait any longer and we'll have our news.

Browns is the Browns

N
Legend
Legend
N
unless Josh (and the NFLPA) decide there is a reasonable justification to take the issue to court, then we could have it drag out for years (like StarCaps in Minnesota).

#gmstrong
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Quote:

the team and the league who are likely trying to negotiate an amicable resolution.

or the league is waiting until the browns have everything set to help josh while he cannot have contact with the team.

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
Legend
Legend
Very possible.
The league could also be waiting until after this week's MNF to see how JFF & Gordon look together on the field.... more importantly, they could be waiting to see how the ratings are. There's potentially a lot more than just some missed games by Gordon at stake here.

Browns is the Browns

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

There's potentially a lot more than just some missed games by Gordon at stake here.

Oh indeed! A JFF vs RGIII matchup, even in pre-season, could be a windfall for the NFL. Could Goodell phone Haslem and trade off no suspension for Gordon IF the Browns start JFF??? Will the NFL announce Gordon's "penalty" the day after the game? Nah, too obvious...

Last edited by bbrowns32; 08/14/14 12:10 PM.

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
M
Rookie
Rookie
M
RATINGS FOR THIS GAME ON MONDAY WILL BE OFF THE CHARTS FOR SURE!
Call me selfish, but I hope Josh is cleared on all charges and allowed to play day 1. Everyone would profit from it.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
j/c

why does anyone think josh will play? wasn't he hurt all week at practice?

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

jmho

2-4 Weeks? Try 2-4 months!!

Tackles are tackles.
E
Legend
Legend
E
The months was because of Gordon's appeal process.

The 2-4 weeks I was referring to was the Arbitrators ruling after healing that appeal.

Again if cut n dry by the rules...then what's the hold up. If not for some reduced sentence? But if not and still cut n dry...then why so long. Its to screw the Brown's?
Cause I do not have a clue why they would want to do that. Accept for all the bad letters we send to the commish...lol

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum More Josh Gordon, I guess

Link Copied to Clipboard