Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
Alpoe19 Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
A
Did anybody see the video? Its on deadspin if you"re curious. That driver had to be nuts to go in front of a moving race car. Some are speculating stewart did it on purpose, but i couldnt determine that from the video. Just really sad.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Yeah it's pretty crazy. There is some reason to suggest he hit him on purpose. The only video I seen didn't show Tony and the path he was on before hitting that guy. He could of just been looking to pass the blue/white car and not seen/suspected some guy to be on the track without the trucks and warning lights around, or he swerved outta his way cause his angle was high to purposely hit him. I don't know.

I do know to get outta your car on a race track, going/walking low on the track, pointing your finger which seemingly looked like a bad case of road rage - I mean not to sound rude cause someone lost his life, but you're asking for nothing positive to come outta that situation.

Legend
Legend
I saw the video right up until he hit him, CNN paused it there, but I don't see how Stewart did it on purpose. I'm actually surprised anyone could even suggest that. The red car that went by right before it probably blocked the view of Stewart. And it didn't help that Ward was in the path of the cars too.

We've all seen situations like this before, driver gets spun out and then waits until a driver comes back around to throw his helmet or flip him off, but it's so dangerous for you to be standing on the track while other cars are going by. I would imagine some rules have to be put in place to protect the drivers from themselves. If you exit your vehicle and confront another car on the track you're suspended for a week or more.

Such a shame. Awful night.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Legend
Legend
Very sad, strange event. I can't read his mind or motivation, but I just know it was very odd.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Very sad, strange event. I can't read his mind or motivation, but I just know it was very odd.

Tony would know, like most anyone that's driven a car, if you hit another human being, that person will die. It's not like they were racing soapbox derby's or inflatable clown cars. If you intentionally hit another person with that car, you would have the worst intentions in your mind (murder). How could someone suggest that of Tony?

I say that because, it's not like there would only have been a 5% of death if you hit them....it would be 95% death and 5% insanely injured.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
To me it looks like it was accidental on Tony Stewart's part and that 'swerve' that was seen was more likely caused by the guy getting going under Stewart's rear tire and the car losing what little traction they have at that point.

I'm not sure what was going through the other driver's mind. You don't get out of a vehicle like that and go wandering around and pointing fingers. That isn't safe on a track with other vehicles.

L
Legend
Legend
L
I guess the deal was tony went to accelerate by the guy and as he did the car fishtailed and caught him

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
Legend
Legend
It didn't help that Ward kept going lower on the track...even after the blue car went by it looked like he dropped down a few more steps (hard to see as the camera moves wildly).-

After watching it a few more times, I would bet it was a mix of a few things:

- Ward trying to be tough and do what all drivers do (confront other cars driving by)
- He went too low on the track
- The other cars passing Ward blocked Tony's view of how low he really was
- Since there wasn't a yellow flag, Tony was going to take that turn as normal
- As he saw Ward, he was already trying to accelerate through his normal fishtail, but it was too late to do anything else.

Maybe, just maybe, you can make a case Tony still powered through the turn thinking he would buzz Ward and teach him a lesson or that he figured he'd let Ward put his own life on the line and Ward would get out of the way in time. But in either case, no intent was there. Sure, you're responsible for your car, but this isn't 1st and Main St. in Anytown, USA. These hotheads are out there pushing the envelope of safety and taking on special risks.

I don't see how anyone could think Tony did that on purpose. Of course, if you read the comments on the YouTube video, more than half think it was premeditated murder.

[Linked Image]

All Pro
All Pro
Was the fishtail on purpose? If the answer is yes, it is manslaughter.

GO BROWNS!
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
My thing is that it seems that Ward got out of the car so he could confront Stewart on the track.

If you look at the time Ward hit the wall, he probably felt that Stewart purposefully put him into the wall. I'm not sure whether Stewart's car hit his, but Ward certainly went into the wall, whether forced there or on his own to avoid a collision with Stewart's car.

Even if that's the case, you don't get out of your car unless there is a real possibility of danger to your life by staying inside it. For example, it's burning and you're on fire. You simply don't get out thinking you can confront a driver you feel wronged you on the track. That's not very smart.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

But fishtailing through that turn is how you go through that turn. Just because a driver is there, doesn't make it manslaughter.

[Linked Image]

Y
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Y
I don't see anyway this was done on purpose. The guy was in a black jump suit on a dimly lit track, working his way further down the track. He nearly got hit by another car before Tony got him.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Quote:

But fishtailing through that turn is how you go through that turn. Just because a driver is there, doesn't make it manslaughter.

Exactly ... on a dirt track where traction is so low that you have to fish-tail around the turns ... jumping anywhere close to the front of a car isn't exactly the smartest thing you can do. You can't exactly swerve to avoid people.

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

It didn't help that Ward kept going lower on the track...even after the blue car went by it looked like he dropped down a few more steps (hard to see as the camera moves wildly).-

After watching it a few more times, I would bet it was a mix of a few things:

- Ward trying to be tough and do what all drivers do (confront other cars driving by)
- He went too low on the track
- The other cars passing Ward blocked Tony's view of how low he really was
- Since there wasn't a yellow flag, Tony was going to take that turn as normal
- As he saw Ward, he was already trying to accelerate through his normal fishtail, but it was too late to do anything else.

Maybe, just maybe, you can make a case Tony still powered through the turn thinking he would buzz Ward and teach him a lesson or that he figured he'd let Ward put his own life on the line and Ward would get out of the way in time. But in either case, no intent was there. Sure, you're responsible for your car, but this isn't 1st and Main St. in Anytown, USA. These hotheads are out there pushing the envelope of safety and taking on special risks.

I don't see how anyone could think Tony did that on purpose. Of course, if you read the comments on the YouTube video, more than half think it was premeditated murder.

My feeling is that...after watching the video...there's no way Stewart would run him over on purpose, but I certainly wouldn't be surprised if a second video showed Stewart not exactly veering away from Ward. Basically, it wouldn't shock me to see that Stewart intended on buzzing the guy as some show of machismo.

What's telling about Stewart...and very reflective of his long-earned reputation of being a real ass and a low-class guy...is that he fully intended on racing today. Really...after KILLING a man...you're going to turn around and race just hours later?

Even his manager was quoted as saying that Stewart would race because it was "business as usual."

Yikes.

Ward didn't deserve to die, but angry, rash hotheads do dumb things, and bad things happen to those people.

Now we'll get to see a canned, pre-written and rehearsed statement from Stewart which will show all the level of class and humility as that farse Tiger Woods put out when he walked to the podium and addressed his wife, the media, and his mom.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
Legend
Legend
Yeah, I can see him trying to "scare" him or brush by him to basically say screw you ... but not intend to hit him

Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
S
Legend
Legend
S
You can't tell from that video, but accounts from fans and media that were there all seemed like they thought it was intentional.

A
Legend
Legend
A
j/c

For those saying there wasn't a yellow flag...............why did all the drivers, including Stewart slow down? You can hear it in the engines. I have NEVER been to a race where there is a wreck, and the yellow isn't thrown.

There was a yellow flag.

Sprint cars. Under green flag conditions, you're pretty much throttle down all the way around the track..........if your ass end isn't sliding out, you're on the straightaway. Rear end out is how you steer the car. Stewart was coming around the curve, under caution (as were all the other drivers).

Just my opinion here now: Stewart wanted to throw some dirt on the guy, after having wrecked him the lap before - saw the guy out of his car - and he wanted to show him up even more. (also - the accident was just that - an accident. Stewart didn't mean to wreck him - from the footage shown. And, Stewart mis timed his revving the engine to get his rear wheels to spin.........thereby resulting in the rear of the car sliding out too soon.)

One other thing - I mentioned stewart wanted to "throw some dirt on the guy) - and that's a bad example, because in sprint cars, when you're in the racing groove, you aren't "throwing dirt".

Bottom line? Guy shouldn't have been out of his car..........and stewart shouldn't have tried to show him up even more. Listen to the engine - Stewart was going around under caution then jacked it, hit the guy, and killed him.

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

stewart shouldn't have tried to show him up even more. Listen to the engine - Stewart was going around under caution then jacked it, hit the guy, and killed him.

...and to top it off, he still planned on racing today...until public and media outcry made him back off.

I hope he has a nice time living with this the rest of his days.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
L
Legend
Legend
L
Thats what racers do..they race..They put their lives and others at risk everytime on the track..I grew up racing go karts, supermodifieds, and finally Sport bikes. My dad and uncles all raced supers and sprints and one even raced arca...My point is, it as much a fraternity as anything...I don't remember anyone intentionally going out of their way to hurt someone. Thats why I despise drivers like harvick, edwards and busch...they are a bunch of hot heads and shouldn't be allowed to race as they take their retaliation on the track.. Stewart may be an ass, but he's not the kind to intentionally try to hurt much less kill. He's old school, he'll just beat your ass in the garage area. You have this 20 year old kid full of . and vinegar, MAYBE 130lbs soaking wet, and you're going to get out of your car, at night, in a black firesuit and walk into traffic..thats just dumb...if anyone has ever driven these winged sprints, you will know that the visibility in peripheral and up to about 75 degrees right center sucks. What i see in the video is stewart seeing him last second and swerving..people talk about the acceleration, anyone thats driven these cars or follow this knows that you steer these with the throttle more than the steering wheel. While its tragic a young man died, I don't think stewart did anything intentional, and Ward is just as much to blame as stewart if not more so.

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
A
Legend
Legend
A
Quote:

.i, anyone thats driven these cars or follow this knows that you steer these with the throttle more than the steering wheel.

Not under caution you don't. Under caution - at "slow" speeds, you absolutely steer with the steering wheel.

Watch the video again. You don't see ANYONE "steering" with the rear wheels after the initial accident.

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

Stewart may be an ass, but he's not the kind to intentionally try to hurt much less kill. He's old school, he'll just beat your ass in the garage area.

I don't see anyone saying he killed him on purpose. However, being "old school" would very-much mean buzzing someone to scare them just to prove a point. If the person being buzzed is so dumb as to get too close to a moving car, . like this happens.

Other racers avoided the kid. I think it's entirely plausible to believe Stewart wanted to send a message and the ensuing accident ultimately resulted in death.

Done on purpose? No. A purposeful move resulting in an accidental death? Yep, I can believe it.

L
Legend
Legend
L
yeah, but also if stewart was his intended target, then one would say that he would get alot closer to stewart than any of the other drivers..

C
1st String
1st String
C
Stewart did it on purpose and he knows it too.He put him in the wall,and was fired up coming back around.His intention wasn't to kill the guy,just to send a message.He gunned the throttle (plenty of witnesses testified to that) which fish tails the car.You don't do that on a caution coming out of a turn on a dirt track.He's a highly skilled driver and knew exactly what he the situation was.Anyone who is familiar with NASCAR,is also familiar with Stewarts temperament and how he rolls on the track.If you get out of the car on the track,Tony isn't going to play nice about it.The kid should have waited,for the pits to settle it,but in the heat of the moment that's what drivers sometimes do.Tony might fool 90% of the public and authorities on this,but he isn't fooling me a bit,his crew or other drivers on the circuit either.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Quote:

Stewart did it on purpose and he knows it too.

Did what? Meant to intimidate the kid? Kill him?

And how in the hell do you KNOW anything about what happened or what Tony Stewart knows?

"If it weren't for my horse, I wouldn't have spent that year in college"
GO ROCKETS
C
1st String
1st String
C
Quote:

Quote:

And how in the hell do you KNOW anything about what happened or what Tony Stewart knows?

Did you not read my post? I answered all those questions in it.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Did you not read my post? I answered all those questions in it.

What you said makes sense, but you have no way of knowing Tony's intent. The guy ran up to the side of Smokes' car. IMO opinion Tony gunned the engine to pull away from the idiot charging at his car and the car fishtailed a enough to make what would have been a close encounter into a deadly encounter.

I grew up racing quarter midgets, so I do agree about the handling, but I don't think for a second that Stewart intended for the guy to get sucked under his rear wheel.

KING

You may be in the drivers seat but God is holding the map. #GMSTRONG
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Quote:

Stewart may be an ass, but he's not the kind to intentionally try to hurt much less kill. He's old school, he'll just beat your ass in the garage area.

I don't see anyone saying he killed him on purpose. However, being "old school" would very-much mean buzzing someone to scare them just to prove a point. If the person being buzzed is so dumb as to get too close to a moving car, . like this happens.

Other racers avoided the kid. I think it's entirely plausible to believe Stewart wanted to send a message and the ensuing accident ultimately resulted in death.

Done on purpose? No. A purposeful move resulting in an accidental death? Yep, I can believe it.

pretty much my take as well...

When I first heard about it that was my inittial thought ... nothing in the video makes me think otherwise.

Prayers out to the family

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Basically, it wouldn't shock me to see that Stewart intended on buzzing the guy as some show of machismo.

I think that is exactly what happened. Stewart wanted to throw some dirt up in the guys face and ended up burying the guy in the dirt.

Tony has always been a hotheaded punk. Now his actions have resulted in the death of another driver.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Agreed. I think he intentionally wanted to send a message. Not hit him though. Brink of the moment thing of course, but the result was awful.

And as you said before, what weirds me out most is that he was ready to race the next day. He just ran someone over........ usually that's a life changing event (at least that's what I would imagine).

Had I run someone over like that, there's much more chance I'd be at church on Sunday than any race. And I'm more of a once a couple years to make mom happy catholic.........

Either way, racing needs to make some rules to keep guys from getting out of their cars unless in serious danger. Had that been in effect, this tragedy would never have happened.

As for Tony Stewart, we'll see where the investigation goes. I don't see him hit for criminal, but a civil case could get interesting, and I think that's what's coming.

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
Legend
Legend
Quote:

And as you said before, what weirds me out most is that he was ready to race the next day. He just ran someone over........ usually that's a life changing event (at least that's what I would imagine).

I was watching something yesterday that had an old racer being interviewed and he made a great point about this. Racing is Tony's life, that's why he was out there that night. He doesn't have a wife and kids. On his NASCAR off days, he races other circuits becuase he's a "racer". So maybe, his first thought was to race because that who he is. He's wrecked other racers that were hurt, nothing like this, and he raced the next day because that's why they do.

And also, maybe he thought the best way to get this situation out of his head was to climb in a car and block it out for a few hours. Sure he'd be swarmed out of the car, but in there, nobody could get to him.

I get it from that perspective, if that's what he was thinking. But yes, I think he ended up doing the right thing by staying away on Sunday. It would have been a circus around him.

[Linked Image]

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

Stewart wanted to throw some dirt up in the guys face and ended up burying the guy in the dirt.

'Peen, how droll, sir...how droll

That's some heavy stuff considering you've not always been known for your dark humor

Legend
Legend
Not a big race fan so this could be way out of line but common sense says you don't get out of your car and charge into on-coming race cars so you can gesture and yell at a guy to make a point.

That being said, the guy still in his race car has to realize the advantage he has in that confrontation and show restraint.

I won't pretend to know what Tony Stewarts ultimate objective was but it's a sad event all the way around and hopefully others will learn from it.

yebat' Putin
I
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I
I've been a race fan for 40 years and have seen quite a bit, including an unfortunate share of deaths (5 that I can recall) in person at the track. I may have been killed had I not changed my seat minutes before a car went through the catch fence and killed the person who was sitting in front of me at a local track. IMHO, there is just no way in my mind Tony Stewart tried to do anything to that kid. I am not a Stewart fan and here is my $0.02.

1. You are taught as a 5 year old who starts out in go karts, as Ward did and many of these guys do, is YOU NEVER EVER LEAVE YOUR CAR BEFORE THE SAFETY CREW GETS THERE UNLESS THE CAR IS ON FIRE! Sometimes sprint car drivers want out in case fuel line is cut, but don't do into traffic!

2. These sprint cars race on dirt. The right side rear wheel is out further from the body by about 2 feet more than what a casual person would think is normal. (See below pic) This turns the car left when they gas it. They turn left with the throttle. If you only turn the steering wheel left at a certain speed, the car doesn't want to go left. It wants to continue straight. If this kid is unexpectedly in Stewart's path and Tony is doing about 30 MPH under caution, just steering isn't going to do the trick. To make a quick evasive action, he would need to gas it (to go left) and then hard break and cut the wheels back to the right to try and swing around him. That is consistent to what you see and hear in the only video seen so far.

3. Tony is going somewhat blind into that turn. Visibility in a sprint car is pretty much straight on and to the left. Seeing out the right side is limited by the wing and mud plate. There is an unexpected person on the track coming from the right of view. The kid is wearing all black on a badly lit track that is all too common to local small tracks. There is going to be dirt on Stewart's visor if he did not get to the tear off film yet. (He may have been tearing it off at the time). Add the fact that there is a right rear tire sticking out about two feet further than the front tire and the kid may have initially thought he wasn't in the way. Also, the car in front of TS had just swerved because he almost hit this kid. There is so much going against this kid that to not get hit would be surprising.

4. The argument about Tony being a hot head is a bit overblown here. He wasn't the one wrecked. He had no reason to be pissed about what we see on video, but I would need to see the prior laps to see if there were any dust-ups on prior laps. Still, make no mistake. Tony Stewart knows what an open wheel car can do to anyone if touched by that rear tire. No way is he trying to "clip" or scare this kid by "buzzing" him. It is just to dangerous and Tony is way too experienced.

That kid needed to stay in that damn car or stay up by the wall and he would be racing next week. My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone including Stewart. He is the one who will have to live with the fact that it was him driving the car that did this and there are going to be those haters who are going to call him a murderer. Until I see or hear something more than what has been put in front of me, it was an on-track accident. No pun intended here...you sign your life away on the waiver form when you choose to get on that race track. Everyone who races knows that. (By the way, the person driving below, Jason Lefler, lost his life in this car last year.)

“Unemployment is low because everyone has two jobs. Unemployment is low because people are working 60, 70, 80 hours a week and can barely feed their family.” -AOC
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Couldnt have said it better myself

You may be in the drivers seat but God is holding the map. #GMSTRONG
C
1st String
1st String
C
Quote:

Quote:

Basically, it wouldn't shock me to see that Stewart intended on buzzing the guy as some show of machismo.

I think that is exactly what happened. Stewart wanted to throw some dirt up in the guys face and ended up burying the guy in the dirt.

Tony has always been a hotheaded punk. Now his actions have resulted in the death of another driver.

Exactly....you get it.

I
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Exactly....you get it.

“Unemployment is low because everyone has two jobs. Unemployment is low because people are working 60, 70, 80 hours a week and can barely feed their family.” -AOC
F
Legend
Legend
F
JC...

Don't we have someone on here who's husband racing these things? BrownsBabe maybe?

Would be cool to get their insight.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum tony stewart kills driver in race

Link Copied to Clipboard