Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#903230 12/15/14 11:30 PM
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
so, what can he learn from?

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
It clearly isn't from sitting on the bench.

#gmstrong #gmlapdance
D
Legend
Legend
D
There better be a lot he learns from, cause there was a lot that needs corrected.

Legend
Legend
well, he needs to learn fast from his mistakes yesterday, that's for sure!

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
11 STUFFS I LEARNED IN MY FIRST PRO GAME
-by Johnny "Football" Manziel

1. These guys are big. Really big. I can't see over them when they are (almost) blocking for me.

2. These guys are really fast. I noticed it when those really big guys who were "blocking" for me couldn't stop them.

3. A pocket is a sometimes thing. I used to take my
time, look over the field, and choose where I wanted to throw the ball. Yesterday, I had enough time to throw the ball. Maybe next week, I'll be able to throw with my eyes open.

4. These guys are very strong. This one big guy grabbed me (behind the LOS) with one hand... and hauled me to the ground- on my head! How did he do that? I'm "Johnny Magic"... stuff like that isn't supposed to happen...

5. The turf in Cleveland is hard as hell. Maybe it's because it's so cold. Maybe it's because I'm still too soft for the pro game. Maybe it's because all these big guys slam me against it harder than anyone I've ever faced before.

Wow. Maybe it's "all of the above."

6. College was fun. I could do anything I wanted, and it worked. Yesterday, I couldn't do anything I wanted. I couldn't do anything the coaches wanted. I couldn't do anything my team wanted. I couldn't do anything the fans wanted. I guess I have a lot more to learn, before I can "money up" in the NFL. If I learned anything at all yesterday, I guess it's this:

7. College was fun; The Pro job is WORK. This is going to be a lot harder than I thought. Glad I thought of this now.

8. Brian Hoyer had a great gig before he came to Cleveland. So did I, while Brian Hoyer had 'my gig' in Cleveland. Backup QB is a plush spot: you never make a mistake, your QB rating is always 140+, everybody loves you, and you never miss an NBA game if you need a little 'downtime.'

9. A "successful massage" in the NFL doesn't involve a "happy ending." I need true professionals today... and that ice bath was no picnic. I guess I'll have to put "Taffy", "Cinnamon" and "Cherry Turnover" on hold until the offseason... and go with those strappin' lads who get their paychecks from 76 Groza. Sven, Lars and Gunther can do more for me than The Bikinis. After all... I'm actually on the job, now.

10. Thank God my season is only 3 games long. I can't imagine what I'd feel like if I'd started the season as our #1... or what week would have put me on IR. I'm just glad that I'm healthy enough to start next week. (Oh, GOD... I'm healthy enough to start next week....)

11. My next offseason will be very, very different than my first. Growing up is hard. Growing up at 22 is even harder. Growing up 'hard' at 22 is even harder than the first two. I have a lot of catching up to do. I'm not sure that one offseason will be enough. If I want to be "JayFoot" again, it must start now.

Wish me luck, Browns fans... you may not need me to be The Man- but I need you to help me become to become The Man. Can I get a little backup? For at least a season? Please?

Humbly submitted,
Jonathan Paul '#2' Manziel

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
can I get a link for that Clem?

smile

S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
I can accept the guy making rookie mistakes, but his qb rating tied Brandon Weeden's rating on his debut.

Johnny Weeden scares me.

It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it great!
Dawg_LB #903253 12/16/14 12:41 AM
Legend
Legend
As I said all year long Johnny was not ready but so many posters busted my chops for telling the truth

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Legend
Legend
Dawg... you just read the only link that exists.

It was my own 'fanfic' for this site, written by me.

(Satire is a funky kinda thang that way, son...)

HEY! Where's my smiley, winky, devily emoticons??? I don't deal well with change!!!

GMdawg #903255 12/16/14 12:44 AM
Legend
Legend
Unfortunately, neither was Hoyer. He seemed to be early on, and then went to crap. Manziel then gets his shot. That's the way it works.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Oh I agreed with giving Johnny a shot as Hoyer just fell apart. Now it's time to give the kid two more games and see what happens.

GMdawg #903259 12/16/14 01:08 AM
Legend
Legend
Oh, I think we can all predict what will happen, GM.

The Bengals wrote the book on that.

Unless Shanny gets a bolt of lightning from The Heavens, I sadly predict that Sunday is but a precursor to the remainder of the season.

That said, all's not lost. I truly think that JM has what it takes to play well in the Modern NFL.... just not just this year. Too many cards in the deck are stacked against him.

-Our team is decimated on both sides of the ball.
-He's coming in late... when other (quality) teams are hitting their strides.
-His timing with WR's and RB's will not have a chance to gel.
-He's still learning the playbook, so his O scheme will be pedestrian, at best.

As I see it, these last 3 games are for QB evaluation purposes. I believe that the coaching staff went into "next year mode" when we lost the Colts game. I also believe that the team sensed it- and that's why they phoned in their game against Cinci.

I don't like it at all, but I think I can understand it, from a "strategy/tactics" POV.

We don't have enough of a team to make a strong SB push, so let's see what we have. If we can capture 'lightning in a bottle,' run with it. If not, evaluate JM in the worst of all possible lights, and see if Farmer needs to draft another QB for 2015's "competition."

Like I said... I don't like it, but I kind of understand it.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Alot of QBs struggle in their first start, lets not forget he played against a playoff ready D. Not making excuses for his poor play but at least he owned it and didnt try to pass it off on others the way Hoyer did.

From what I understand we was already eliminated from the playoffs before the Bungles game anyways. So why not get the kid some experience. I bet you he comes back next Sunday night and day difference than this past game.

The kid has it between the ears, he will learn from his mistakes. The coaches will do their jobs and get him up to speed, as well as the players around him. Have patience remember Rome wasnt built in one day.

#brownsgoodkarma
Clemdawg #903264 12/16/14 02:04 AM
Legend
Legend
Quote:
Oh, I think we can all predict what will happen, GM.

So do I but I would like to see how Johnny reacts to the last game. I think it will tell us a lot about him.

Quote:
That said, all's not lost. I truly think that JM has what it takes to play well in the Modern NFL.... just not just this year. Too many cards in the deck are stacked against him.

I am still 50/50 on if the kid has what it takes.

Quote:
I disagree bro. We are missing a starting center and one of our top 5 WR's on offense. Other than that our offense is intact.

[quote]He's still learning the playbook, so his O scheme will be pedestrian, at best.

He has had all of the pre season and 14 regular seasons to learn the playbook, and from what I understand he knows it. If the kid has not learned it by know we have yet another problem to worry about with him.

J
Rookie
Rookie
J
Johnny didn't play as bad as everyone is saying. The offensive line did not help one bit, neither did the penalties. He needs to plant his feet and throw the ball with more velocity. He needs to never lob pass the ball ever again, that doesn't work in the NFL. He needs to be more vocal and be the leader. We as fans expected him to be the savior, and to explode out of the gate. Rookies dont do that. Manziel learned a lot from that game, i expect a better game plan going into Carolina. Best part of manziels game was, he was reading the entire field. he didn't have the time too, but he was, Manziel isn't as big of a project as the media is making him out to be. These 3 games plus the offseason is going to be huge for his development.

Legend
Legend
I think that it will be interesting to see what hapens.

Hopefully the OL does a better job this week. According to Pluto, (who used ESPN data) Manziel we sacked 3 times, was hit 3 others, and was under pressure 10 other times ..... on 24 total dropbacks. That was with the Bengals blitzing exactly twice the entire game. The run game added nothing, except for 3 runs, 8 or 9 yard runs each by Manziel, West, and Crowell. Other than that, we ran for nothing.

*Sigh* We played like crap. By the tim we ran our 7th offensive play, we were down 17-0. The only pass manziel had thrown to that point, was the one to Hawkins, that he dropped.

Bleh. The whole game left a bad taste in my mnouth.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
The o-line did nothing to help him, including piling up penalties and killing drives. He looked like a 22-year old rookie making his pro debut, he has a ton to learn.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Cleveland Browns' Johnny Manziel brutal in first NFL start: DMan's QB Report, Game 14

Interesting insight from the outside: Manziel did not play like a quarterback who had training camp and 14 weeks to prepare for his starting debut. Maybe it is because he did not, in fact, steadily prepare as needed.

In the final minutes Sunday, as Fox showed Manziel sitting on the bench with his head down, analyst and former standout defensive back John Lynch spoke of an interaction he had with Manziel: "The best quarterbacks in this league, they're the hardest workers in the building. Johnny Manziel was, this week -- by all accounts. All year, he hasn't been. And I asked him: 'Are you willing to do that?' He said, 'Well, this week was a good start.' He was stand-up. I think he didn't argue that he hasn't been. He said, 'This was a good start.' And we'll see from here, and I think that will go a long way in determining his success.''

Obviously, Lynch saying, "I think he didn't argue that he hasn't been'' left plenty open to interpretation -- Manziel's interpretation. Manziel might counter that Lynch misunderstood that he conceded a lack of required study habits for most of the season. At the same time, Lynch is a solid analyst who doesn't open his mouth to hear himself talk, nor has he picked a side in Hoyer vs. Manziel. Lynch must have gotten his information from somewhere credible, if not Manziel, or he never would have tweaked him.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2014/12/johnny_manziel_dmans_report_ga.html

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
interesting take:

http://nypost.com/2014/12/15/how-the-browns-sabotaged-johnny-manziels-first-start/

Johnny Manziel’s much-anticipated starting debut was an utter disaster Sunday, but the Browns — offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan, in particular — certainly didn’t do their rookie quarterback any favors.

As bad as Manziel was in the 30-0 loss to the Bengals, a game in which Cleveland mustered just 107 total yards and crossed midfield only once, it remains puzzling why Shanahan mostly put Manziel in a straightjacket instead of playing to his creative strengths.

Manziel carried just five times, most of them on scrambles instead of designed runs, and Shanahan even had Manziel try to be a pocket passer and take snaps from under center with deep drops.

That wasn’t going to work against a disciplined Cincinnati front that both overwhelmed the Cleveland offensive line up the middle and mindfully protected the edges, leaving Manziel with nowhere to go except on his back for much of the day.

The 6-foot Manziel is too short to be a pocket passer in the NFL, yet Shanahan didn’t do much in the way of designed rollouts or bootlegs to take advantage of Manziel’s ability to make plays on the run.
Indeed, the only bit of flare from Shanahan came in the first quarter, when he had four receivers line up to the right in a diamond formation. But the play call appeared to be a simple screen pass to the trailing receiving in that formation, and it flopped when Manziel decided to keep instead and was quickly swallowed up for a minimal gain.

Shanahan was the offensive coordinator in Washington in 2012 when Robert Griffin III — a player with a similar skill-set to Manziel’s — tormented opponents out of the read option with both his legs and his arm.

Of course, Shanahan and father Mike both got the blame when that offense ended up getting Griffin hurt and sending the quarterback’s career into its subsequent freefall. Maybe that’s why the younger Shanahan was so conservative with Manziel out of the box.

But that would beg the question why the Browns drafted Manziel in the first place if they weren’t going to play to the strengths he showed in college.

If the speculation among other league executives is true that Manziel is only a Brown because of owner Jimmy Haslam and was taken against the wishes of coach Mike Pettine, then Manziel probably can’t count on much help from Shanahan in the future, either.

personally, i don't buy "too short" Drew and Wilson are not too short to throw from a pocket.

Clemdawg #903312 12/16/14 09:32 AM
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Clemdawg
Dawg... you just read the only link that exists.

i know hence that's why I smiled.

it was written better than most of the articles I see floating around.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
When he came in against Buffalo, albeit in a releif role, he did fine running plays from our regular O. When he had a week to prepare he did lousy. As I said in another post let him run our O as it is and just add some plays that play to his strenghts. Our whole O was completely out of sync on Sunday like it would be for our first pre- season game.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
well, he needs to learn fast from his mistakes yesterday, that's for sure!

With a rookie HC and a OC trying to ramrod a read option system, that's going to be a tall order.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:
The kid has it between the ears

If by 'it', you mean 'rocks', I agree.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Scrap the read option...keep the boot leg. Shore up the center cause he was almost a one man wrecking crew. Never ever so saw much failure from ONE OL position. Where's my emoticons? lol

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
eotab #903421 12/16/14 02:17 PM
D
Legend
Legend
D
I was wondering if the Browns shouldn't think about moving Greco back to Center for the rest of the season, along with McQuistan to RG. They looked good vs Pitt after Mack got hurt. Not so good after that, but maybe with some more reps they could at least stop the sieve.

Dave #903425 12/16/14 02:31 PM
E
Legend
Legend
E
I would like to add. That was Seymours first Start as Center in the NFL. It sort of showed. Wonder if they did it cause JM n he worked together on the Scout team???

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

eotab #903435 12/16/14 02:49 PM
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: eotab
I would like to add. That was Seymours first Start as Center in the NFL. It sort of showed. Wonder if they did it cause JM n he worked together on the Scout team???

naw. he started against the colts too.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Great to be back.

1st String
1st String
Originally Posted By: JimBrown32
Johnny didn't play as bad as everyone is saying. The offensive line did not help one bit, neither did the penalties. He needs to plant his feet and throw the ball with more velocity. He needs to never lob pass the ball ever again, that doesn't work in the NFL. He needs to be more vocal and be the leader. We as fans expected him to be the savior, and to explode out of the gate. Rookies dont do that. Manziel learned a lot from that game, i expect a better game plan going into Carolina. Best part of manziels game was, he was reading the entire field. he didn't have the time too, but he was, Manziel isn't as big of a project as the media is making him out to be. These 3 games plus the offseason is going to be huge for his development.

I think the monkey is hanging on for dear life and JM
will shake it off soon. I'm expecting a better
performance the next two weeks. BUT I'm not holding
my breath.

Groza76

Go Browns, WIN or lose, forever!
GMdawg #903449 12/16/14 03:32 PM
1st String
1st String
Originally Posted By: GMdawg
As I said all year long Johnny was not ready but so many posters busted my chops for telling the truth

I'm in your camp. I didn't say anything because you
we're handling it so well. laugh

Groza76

Go Browns, WIN or lose, forever!
E
Legend
Legend
E
Could have sworn McD started and he Seymour came in after an injury.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

eotab #903460 12/16/14 04:05 PM
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
that was the buff game. doesn't seem to matter. they are both the same.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
LOOK: Johnny Football T-shirt placed on clearance rack

You probably already know this, but Johnny Manziel, making his first start Sunday for the Browns, didn't play well, joining a sad list of rookies who were shut out in their first starts and allowing the Bengals to drop tons of money fingers celebrations during their 30-0 victory.

And capitalism has responded rather harshly.

So, after just one bad performance, the price on that shirt has basically been cut in half.

Browns coach Mike Pettine already has said that Manziel will start next Sunday. If he plays the same way he performed in his debut, you might have a chance of getting that Johnny Football shirt for free.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
damn so my net worth just dropped by $15

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
eotab #903472 12/16/14 04:41 PM
E
Legend
Legend
E
The last month my entire life seems to be one big Groundhog day! frown

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: pblack18707
that was the buff game. doesn't seem to matter. they are both the same.

Seymour looked really good in the Colts game. He even blocked to the 2nd level on occasion, which I did not see McDonald do in any of his starts.

Unfortunately, he seemed to get confused facing the Bengals 4-3. He did well with a NT right on his nose against the Colts, and struggled in trying to figure out how to handle being uncovered against the 4-3.

I really don't recall how he played against the Bills after coming into the game. I really didn't key on him except for a couple of plays.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Gloating is so unbecoming.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
PitDAWG #903493 12/16/14 05:49 PM
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG

not gloating. I wanted the guy to do well. but there was a reason why JT and pettin didn't really want him to start. now we know why.

greg cossel
analysis

got pics of a couple of plays.

Last edited by pblack18707; 12/16/14 07:15 PM.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: pblack18707
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG

not gloating. I wanted the guy to do well. but there was a reason why JT and pettin didn't really want him to start. now we know why.

greg cossel
analysis

got pics of a couple of plays.

wow. this site is kicking my butt lol. had a hard time putting a link up.

A
Legend
Legend
A
John had new plays, the offense had new plays.

John sucked at running the new plays.

His arm is not elite (at least, with his mechanics)

He held the ball too long a time or 2, as a rookie will do.

He got sacked one time immediately after he made a play fake.

He is NOT a strong arm

His mechanics suck. Side arm throws off his back foot?

His foot speed may have been good in college, but this isn't college, it's the nfl. Even the big d linemen are quick.

Cincy read him like a book. Or, read what the O wanted to do, like a book.

John needs to sit is butt in the film room with shanahan.

I hope this was a wake up call for John - because if not, we're drafting a qb high next year.

And yes, I call him "John". He doesn't deserve an extra n and a y. He's not JFF. He's "dang, this next man up sucked along with the rest of the team."

Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2014 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 0 Bengals 30 Johnny Manziel

Link Copied to Clipboard