Print Thread
D
Dawg_LB Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
Didn't see this being discussed...Brian Hoyer said, and quote:

"Kyle Shanahan in my helmet said 'you need to be able to get up, you have no other choice,'''

Thoughts? I guess they seriously wanted no part of JF returning to the field where I read he'd be able to if needed. Brian took a massive hit on that play. Massive...

EDIT, link:

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2014/12/connor_shaw_may_start_at_quart.html

Last edited by Dawg_LB; 12/22/14 06:36 PM.
Legend
Legend
We suck

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Can our players please stop saying things that make our organization and staff sound like people who won a contest?

W
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
W
Interesting take on that, Dawg_LB. I took it as, we don't want to burn a time out and we have to try to make a play.

Or, maybe it was just a ploy to use the "injury" excuse to pull the plug on Manziel and alleviate a little drama with the QB situation.

Hoyer is a lot tougher than most give him credit for. I wish he could just make like 2-3 more plays in a game and I would absolutely love the guy.

I wonder if they're trying to plug on him for the same reason.....

Interesting.

#gmstrong.
D
Dawg_LB Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
Forgive me, here is a link with the snippet, its at the end of the article:

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2014/12/connor_shaw_may_start_at_quart.html

All Pro
All Pro
Sounds to me like straight forward encouragement. What's he supposed to say? "Don't worry, lay there, we'll send someone else in." If Hoyer could not have gone he wouldn't have made him...

Last in, first out, the sign of a true champion!
[Linked Image from i301.photobucket.com]
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Stetson76
Sounds to me like straight forward encouragement. What's he supposed to say? "Don't worry, lay there, we'll send someone else in." If Hoyer could not have gone he wouldn't have made him...

That's what we need, straight forward encouragement from the guy who kept sending in RG3.

#GMSTRONG
V
Legend
Legend
V
I have been reading several negative comments about Shanny lately.

All I can think is-----------here we go again.

Shanny is the best playcaller I have seen in Cleveland since Arians. Of course, the board hated that guy, too.

Shanny is one of the better play callers and play designers in the NFL. Please don't run this guy out of town!

Legend
Legend
I'm sure you can relax. Haslem isn't crazy enough to clean house twice in two years. So unless someone comes knocking on the door to offer him a HC job, odds are better than not he'll be here next year and we can go ahead and have our opinions without fear of causing calamity in the coaching ranks.

#GMSTRONG
T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
This could have been the fact that Manziel was actually injured (not playing this weekend means it was slightly more serious than some people thought, since many thought he was "faking") and Shaw was on the practice squad.

We didn't have a third option.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog

Perhaps the word "fickle" would be appropriate in this regard...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A

Glad to see you're reading my posts. grin

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I like shanny but i absolutely hate with a passion designed QB runs. I think it is just stupid to put your QB more at risk. If a QB runs improvising thats one thing but the read option crap is just stupid at this level.

E
Legend
Legend
E
I think he is a good play caller, my disappointment of late was the decision to put in a new system for JM instead of just doing minor tweeks to the system he had with Hoyer. The entire offense looked unsure of the plays let alone execution.

Hoyer comes back in the game we have two TE and a FB and do play action pass. JM has one RB TE split out wide with 3 WR and we do Read option. JM at the Bills game did pretty good. Footwork, accuracy was good. All with the Hoyer plays.

For me it wasn't the JM evaluation but the entire O looked confused and uncomfortable in that O. That entire scenario bothered me with Shanahan. I'm afraid he wants to compete with Chip Kelley in bringing the NFL version of the College spread. What I do know Defenses and their coordinators are very smart and whatever nuance OC's bring in...they conquer sooner or later.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
My question is, what happened to all the mis-direction plays that were working in both the running and passing game earlier in the year?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
I also hate the fact that we never seem to throw to our backs. So many teams have luck with the swing pass from time to time. I know it was years ago, but Mack, Byner, Hoard, and others were awesome on those plays, and I have no reason to believe that our current backs couldn't be too. I don't want to run Shanny out of town, but to have totally jettisoned one offense for another so quickly has me hoping Pettine has/does sit down with him and straighten things out. If they had just put Manziel into the offense and added a few wrinkles, it would have seemed a better decision.

There may be people who have more talent than you, but there's no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.
-Derek Jeter
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: eotab
I think he is a good play caller, my disappointment of late was the decision to put in a new system for JM instead of just doing minor tweeks to the system he had with Hoyer.

By 'minor tweaks' do you mean 'remove all other reads in a progression beyond the first'?

This is what I'm talking about when it comes to unrealistic expectations. You guys built the kid up like he was the best QB prospect we've ever had here. He wasn't. Not even close. He can't read even basic defenses, which is why we had to pull out the stupid offenses we've been running with him in there.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think you need glass's , real thick ones !

M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
Not even close. He can't read even basic defenses, which is why we had to pull out the stupid offenses we've been running with him in there.

Exactly. +1

Tackles are tackles.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

All I can think is-----------here we go again.

Shanny is the best playcaller I have seen in Cleveland since Arians. Of course, the board hated that guy, too.

Shanny is one of the better play callers and play designers in the NFL. Please don't run this guy out of town!

Hardly believe I'm saying this to a Vers post but thank you! Totally agree.

"Team Chemistry No Match for Team Biology" (Onion Sports Headline)
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: Mourgrym
I like shanny but i absolutely hate with a passion designed QB runs. I think it is just stupid to put your QB more at risk. If a QB runs improvising thats one thing but the read option crap is just stupid at this level.

I think Seattle ran 3 or 4 designed QB runs this week. To great effect. It would not shock me if Shanny was trying to channel JM into a Wilson sort of role. He would be the model for JM I would guess.

"Team Chemistry No Match for Team Biology" (Onion Sports Headline)
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: TripleOption
This could have been the fact that Manziel was actually injured (not playing this weekend means it was slightly more serious than some people thought, since many thought he was "faking") and Shaw was on the practice squad.

We didn't have a third option.

No, it can't be that. That would make way too much sense. Instead, let's try to make it into a story it isn't and create some kind of unnecessary controversy.

All Pro
All Pro
Originally Posted By: PDR
I think he is a good play caller, my disappointment of late was the decision to put in a new system for JM instead of just doing minor tweeks to the system he had with Hoyer.

By 'minor tweaks' do you mean 'remove all other reads in a progression beyond the first'?

This is what I'm talking about when it comes to unrealistic expectations. You guys built the kid up like he was the best QB prospect we've ever had here. He wasn't. Not even close. He can't read even basic defenses, which is why we had to pull out the stupid offenses we've been running with him in there.

Exactly. It's more than likely that the offense had to change with JM in there.

E
Legend
Legend
E

1. Why make stuff up - that statement of tweaks and then state no progressions....a LIE. not opinion outright made up stuff so you can look smart???

2. In the Bills game where he did play in the Hoyer system that was laid out he made progressions....so why LIE? or is it just plain Ignorance...your choice.

Where do you get off taking my position and making my discussion for me to make your points look better, stick with your opinion. Stop assuming its a fact cause it is far from it.

Btw - talking real football what I mean by tweaks not your insulting crap...but I mean like a QB Draw play which we never would do with Hoyer. By tweak I would say run more Bootleg play action which we did anyway in that Buffalo game.
By tweaks I mean hand off the outside Stretch run instead of the over committing pitch which we had to go with Hoyer.

My Question has always been why go to a new offense that Nobody was familiar with. Why break away with the Two TE Running look and do play action.

For some reason you think I should bow down to you because JM had a couple of bad outings. Man and people call me condescending at times.

You're right - I am not as smart as you to make CAREER decisions on a 21---ooops just turned 22 year old QB thrown a knew system week 16 & 17 with all players not that familiar with and defenses actually Ready for it so there was no surprise. I'm not that smart. I wish to see him actually develop. I'll try and see if he becomes a Brees. or he becomes a Quinn. Just not as knowledgeable as you to make that career evaluation.

But for you to take something I SAY Tweak the offense then insult me with that Bull crap! Get off your high horse - yeah ok you are somehow in all your glory cause JM did bad somehow you think that make you football intelligent.
1. the fat lady didn't sing yet. I know her and she hasn't sung.

2. why are you on this crusade like you are mad cause people aren't going PDR...man you nailed that. pfft. Yeah and you can run a 4.4 where's the rolleyes emoticon!

Last edited by eotab; 12/23/14 01:35 PM.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
This is all just angry, blathering nonsense.

The only point in which you try to make a rational argument is where you cite garbage time when we were down 20-3, and no, I'm not seeing a whole lot of evidence there to show that Manziel can make progressions on an NFL defense, even if you negate the fact that is was garbage time and Buffalo's D was on cruise control.

I just re=watched the highlights of his drive, and the vast majority of the time, he's making one read and throwing. I don't know how anyone could cite that as tangible evidence that he can comfortably move beyond a one read progression.

Take a deep breath and calm down.

I'm not a fan of Shanny's playcalling, but we couldn't just do what we were doing with 'minor tweaks'. Manziel can't read an NFL defense or comfortably go through progressions without panicking.

You can't just 'tweak' a playbook to accomodate that.

T
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
T
Originally Posted By: PDR

So then it may take him 4yrs to "develop", to me that means wasted 1st rnd pick. He may get it in time to leave to a bigger media center. I think Shaw will show a better grasp of NFL offense, if we run one.

Legend
Legend
Keep Shanny for sure. Tweak his game prep. Demand improvement in red zone selection. I think he is open to adjusting. He is so good he gets in his own way. I, for one, have criticized his calls, and also been critical even moreso, of what we rarely or never see. Does little to get people out of the box. But he is among the NFL's best, and certainly better than most we have had.

New team, piles of injuries, many substitutions and replacements this season. This coaching staff did a stellar job of troubleshooting, just to take the field, and they were competitive. This staff has upside if somebody will drive that piston hard. But I am really impressed we got the wins we did.

Hate the winnable losses, coaches are not sacred cows above question. But they are also moving in this better direction.

Just win.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

I don't get all the Shanahan hate. Our play calling was some of the most diverse, timely, and creative I've seen in a long time on this team. He comes across as very football smart too. Execution was a part of the problem this year.

When you have avg. QB play at best, you're not going to get the full results you expect. And when you get a QB performance like that of Johnny Football and you have to dumb down your entire offense so he can understand it, any OC is gonna look bad.

I hope he sticks around. He's good in my book.

Tackles are tackles.
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
j/c:

I don't get all the Shanahan hate. Our play calling was some of the most diverse, timely, and creative I've seen in a long time on this team. He comes across as very football smart too. Execution was a part of the problem this year.

When you have avg. QB play at best, you're not going to get the full results you expect. And when you get a QB performance like that of Johnny Football and you have to dumb down your entire offense so he can understand it, any OC is gonna look bad.

+1
I agree completely

E
Legend
Legend
E
This is all just angry, blathering nonsense.

As long as you have an open mind about it...lol

Hey tis the season to be jolly so I'm ending it right there. Enjoy and remember I haven't met a Browns fan - Member of a board, that I didn't totally like and enjoy their company.

Wish we could have a convention for all members to meet.

I propose Super Bowl Weekend before our BIG GAME for a championship!

wink

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Legend
Legend
Good in my book as well overall. I think he is better if we leave out or minimize plays not paying off, like the stretch stuff. Also, gets random in the red zone at times. I think we are best when more vertical. And think we need to game plan and call plays that help a stacked box. Just a little too much premium on trickery for my taste.
That said, the extreme bulk is good. And if people ran what was called, he could look much better than a number of our players made him look.

PS Props to BH. He got up.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:
PS Props to BH. He got up.

Ditto.

I'm hoping Brian can play Sunday, because (a) I'm still hoping for an 8-8 record, (b) I want to knock the Ravens out of any playoff possibilities, (c) I don't want to go into next seasons with two smurfs at QB and a win tomorrow *could* stir the Browns into trying to sign BH, and (d) I'm tired of the 3rd QB playing in the last game movie; I know how it ends ... badly.

D
Dawg_LB Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
Not going to lie, I kinda want to to see Shaw in some real action. One game or not is better than not getting to see him play at all.

All Pro
All Pro
Originally Posted By: Dawg_LB
Not going to lie, I kinda want to to see Shaw in some real action. One game or not is better than not getting to see him play at all.

I'm assuming that this is Hoyer's last game to put a Browns uniform on and I'm sure he's going to do everything he can to get on the field. I hope it goes well for him...

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
j/c:

There is a lot of hate on the board these days, much more than should be for a team that made progress this year.

Most of it I attribute to just general frustration. A bad team becoming better but not fast enough. There are a bunch of good players on the team, but until the Browns find a QB, they will continue to struggle.

Manziel is also a lightning rod. Some Browns fans find his persona to be disgusting. I hope he uses the off season to learn the position that he is to play. But a plan B is also needed. Players like Manziel are boom or bust picks and right now I can only tell that he thinks he is still in college.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Agree completely. I pray they do not change any of the staff. Players that have been here have seen enough change. Let these guys build something. IMO, they are doing it right

We absolutely can't change again. You have got to let the schemes and culture build. These coaches might not appear to be what most think of as "great", but they are teachers. This team needs that. I also believe that this team s now positioned to play the FA market. Time for more proven players fill some big holes. Keep the young talent we have and create a team, a team that works together at the same ideas for at least a few years and grow as a unit. As for the FAs, I would be looking for a couple big impact players for the defense. Solid veterans with resumes.

The money should be there, and this would let some of the younger guys see what it takes to succeed. Build a culture and a team.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
[quote]I'm tired of the 3rd QB playing in the last game movie; I know how it ends ... badly.
[/quoT

This is the year I thought it wouldn't happen......

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: E.Ryze19
[quote]

Agree completely. I pray they do not change any of the staff. Players that have been here have seen enough change. Let these guys build something. IMO, they are doing it right

Understand your premise... disagree .... Tabor has got to go and O'Neil has not impressed me; if Ryan gets canned in NY then I want him as my defensive coordinator

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
W
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
W
Originally Posted By: texaslostdawg

Understand your premise... disagree .... Tabor has got to go and O'Neil has not impressed me; if Ryan gets canned in NY then I want him as my defensive coordinator

I agree with you 75%, texas. lol. I think Tabor has held this team back for the last couple of years with the exception of KR and PR coverage. They have been average to slightly above average. He needs to go.

As for O'Neil, is it scheme? lack of personnel? injuries? I don't know. Maybe her should get a pass THIS year.

Tabor has not improved special teams at all for three years.

#gmstrong.
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2014 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 13 Panthers 17 Kyle to Hoyer - "Get up, you have no other choice"

Link Copied to Clipboard