Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
A
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
A

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
As it should be. Chances are good they're gone, I just hope we can get something in return.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
thanks for the video post... All I can say is he pretty much sounds like everyone else...

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
To borrow a phrase - words are cheap, deeds are precious.

Get the Trinity of Quit out of here.

"If it weren't for my horse, I wouldn't have spent that year in college"
GO ROCKETS
J
All Pro
All Pro
J
"I've been assured that we are going to bring guys in and get guys off this bus that don't really want to be here and what they are supposed to do," safety Donte Whitner said.

From that read I thought this was a good quote. We shall see though.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Ummmm YEAH YOU WILL. Jimmy you have tolerated it ALL YEAR LONG. You coddled meathead during the preseason. You KNEW he was gone and at the time it looked like for an entire year, yet you took reps away from players that wanted to be here so meathead could get some practice in. Then you run him right out there game one after his suspension taking time away from guys that have battled for you ALL YEAR. And are you trading him now? Well, by your statement you're not giving up on any of them. You're "giving them a chance". Yeah Jimmy, meathead has NEVER had a second chance. Or a third or a fourth.... TALK is cheap. You'll just flap your gums about not tolerating this behavior and then tolerate it anyway. Unless two of the three idiots are traded before the draft, you're full of hot air.

And I'd like to hear you call out Ray Farmer for drafting two of the three idiots. Not necessarily fire him, but make it known that he HAS to draft better THIS year. Two firsts and a third with BAD attitudes in his first draft does NOT fill me with confidence.

Last edited by Spiritbro77; 12/29/14 12:00 AM.

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
Legend
Legend
I love that Trinity of Quit! We were a razor-thin team, little margin for error in matchups.

The nonsense like this past Friday needs to stop and disappear. Get what you can, do not look back.

Seems perhaps to be that attitude of "I do not answer to anybody." There are limits, lines in the sand, and best of all: consequences.

I am OK with due process; I have real issues with undue process, especially when it does nothing to change behavior.

Tired of listening to the bilge, and reading all the negativity. Have a fire sale and celebrate some of the good here. poke

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
"we are not going to tolerate people who are irresponsible no matter what round they are drafted in,SO"

The fans and media heard what Haslam said...but it seems that no one listened to what Haslam said after "SO"...

Quote:
"SO... these young guys, we are going to give them a chance, they are young kids, we are going to work with them, hopefully they will grow up but if they can't grow up and be responsible to their teammates and the coaches and our great fans, then they won't be with the Cleveland Browns."

I call these "weasel words", giving yourself an out. What this means is that no one is going to be kicked off the bus, especially the draft pick Haslam is most responsible for, Manziel.

These guys are being given another chance, especially Manziel. It's my understanding that it was Manziel who threw the party that many of Manziel's teammates attended.

Manziel is waiting for the starting job to be "handed" to him and he would have to screw up much worse than this to be kicked off of Haslam's bus.

Pettine may have had enough of Manziel but the guy who is most responsible for drafting Manziel will give him another chance.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
R
Legend
Legend
R
No matter how you want to characterize it cutting bait on Manziel would be a poor choice for the organization at this time.

No one is giving you anything for him, and his book is not officially closed.

You deal with it by setting very clear expectations up front. You tell him you are either the number 2 or 3 QB on this team next year. You control which one that will be. Hoyer is the undisputed starter.

You see how he responds to that. That is all Haslam is talking about. You know the guys running the show have to demonstrate logical thinking and patience. Their world cannot revolve around in the moment, emotional responses to every situation, no matter how much the Internet experts want them too.

T
All Pro
All Pro
T
Rishuz, you are probably right about not acting on impulse. But I just don't see how resigning Hoyer is the answer. More picks than TDs, can't run, and inaccurate. If that is the plan, wouldn't it be better to get Cutler, Mallett, Foles, Sanchez, or even look in the draft again? Remember, Zach Mettenberg, who I would trade Johnny, Gordon and a TWO for tomorrow, went in the fifth.
We have to find a 6-5, 235-pound guy with a great arm, a brain and a good attitude. A guy like that, I could sit and watch struggle for a year. And he could do better than 12 TDs and 13 picks, or whatever Hoyer had.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: The Big G
Rishuz, you are probably right about not acting on impulse. But I just don't see how resigning Hoyer is the answer. More picks than TDs, can't run, and inaccurate. If that is the plan, wouldn't it be better to get Cutler, Mallett, Foles, Sanchez, or even look in the draft again? Remember, Zach Mettenberg, who I would trade Johnny, Gordon and a TWO for tomorrow, went in the fifth.
We have to find a 6-5, 235-pound guy with a great arm, a brain and a good attitude. A guy like that, I could sit and watch struggle for a year. And he could do better than 12 TDs and 13 picks, or whatever Hoyer had.

You want Big Ben (we all do) but they don't grow on trees..

There isn't one coming out this year and it doesn't appear that there is one in free agency.

Where do you propose we get one and who do we put in place until we do get one?

That may be the reason to hang on to Hoyer.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
E
Legend
Legend
E
As long as this is the only crapola we have to sift through at the closing of this season. The way the media was talking we were going to fire everyone. It was a party day after Christmas as the players got back from family. Maybe starting out to be innocent. Bad News, JM knows how to throw a party! lol laugh

It happened - Gordon, Gabriel n Manziel were all either late or no shows the next day. JM on IR but the other two in the last game.

as for the Haslam "SO" - I don't think he wants to give any appearance that he will be releasing anyone of the 3. I think he will not hesitate to give the Green light if a team offers us something for the 3 especially Gordon! Who we wanted to trade to the 49ers for a starter (not named) and a 2nd round pick. Haslam nixed that deal supposedly. But I think Gordon would be gone if a similar deal is offered. JM possibly also again only if the deal is good enough to let loose, I would assume Gilbert gets another season to prove himself as that was a team Coaches/FO pick with an early pick and a signature pick for the new regime.

JM - just a big disappointment. I can put myself in his shoes. A Christmas Party as an innocent thought and as it came about it became one HECK OF A PARTY. I just hope Gordon comes out of it without a drug failed test.

Of course this is the first thread I'm reading...I hope this is the worst we have to deal with. Our young guys especially JM know how to throw a kick butt party...yeah it should have been a New Year Bash....not the Friday of our last game. This falls under Dumb Ass! Why so hard on Gordon....cause he's cost us 13 games so far. And more as he cannot be in the O flow missing all those games and he WASN'T!

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Rish, have you read the vet player comments? JT? Whit? They're done with Manziel already.

His actions and words have contradicted itself from day one, more than just once, culminating in his concession of not having worked hard enough and then saying he would not have changed anything the very next sentence. He's either incredibly dumb or he thinks he can fool around with everyone. I actually think it's both: he's an idiot that truly believes he's smart. Worst of both worlds.

We've had exactly this same discussion back in January way before we drafted him when you accused me of letting my hatred get the best of me when I predicted exactly what is unfolding now: locker room devider, poor work ethic and vets disrespecting him for all of this

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
You see how he responds to that. That is all Haslam is talking about. You know the guys running the show have to demonstrate logical thinking and patience. Their world cannot revolve around in the moment, emotional responses to every situation, no matter how much the Internet experts want them too.

rish...on Dec 26, Manziel gave this interview...

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2014/12/johnny_manziel_i_dont_think_it.html

THREE DAYS LATER, Manziel is throwing a big party that leads to him (and others) not showing up for his treatment/practice. Manziel shut his phone off and Browns security had to go hunting for Manziel. So while Manziel was talking about growing up, he was planning this big celebration/party.

I judge Manziel on his actions and his play on the field, not on emotion. To me, it is obvious that no mater how many times Manziel gets called to the principles office, Manziel's conduct does not change. Manziel does not want to be in Cleveland.

Manziel is the worst QB on the team and he is a cancer in the locker room. His irresponsible conduct is influencing other players and as we can see from the comments in todays story, there IS a DIVIDE IN THE LOCKER ROOM, between veterans who want to win and Manziel and other young guys who don't give a damn.

Until Haslam backs up his words up with actions, the divide in the locker room will grow larger and destroy next years team.

You clearly underestimate the seriousness of the situation in the Browns locker room. This team was so close to making the playoffs and the veterans know it. The performance against the Bengals cost the Browns a shot at the playoffs.

The Browns can't win with young guys who are not as committed to winning as the veterans.

Last edited by mac; 12/29/14 10:29 AM.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Damanshot

Titans....Jake Locker

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Legend
Legend
Jango I don't know if those Veterans are "DONE" with Manziel so much as they aren't willing to put up with his act. They will probably try to fix him.

So it might just be they are calling him out to straighten him up. We'll see how much weight their comments hold.

I'm sick of players that think they stand above the team. Manziel is clearly one of those, So is Gordon. Overall, I don't think that Gilbert is that kinda kid, but he's kinda acted like it. Gilbert hasn't ever shown any indication of that kinda stuff in College.

But, Gordon and Manziel have.

They may not be able to be saved. They just might have to go.

But, they are both young. Maybe (fingers crossed) the teammates can lead them the right way. I ain't counting on it, but I'm hoping for it.

Gordon we know is talented..

Manziel hasn't shown any ability at all. In fact, Shaw showed more ability than JM.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
V
Legend
Legend
V
I am not defending Manziel here, but it is appalling how some of you completely ignore Gordon and Gilbert and pile on JM. Sheesh, the first two guys were actually supposed to play in the game. And you excuse their behavior?

Gordon has been a cancer since college, but you don't criticize him.

Gilbert has drawn more criticism from teammates and coaches than any other player, yet you don't mention him.

I think Manziel is a jerk, too...........but sheesh........putting it all on him is ridiculous and reeks of the agenda that you and DJ always carry around w/you.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: bbrowns32

Titans....Jake Locker

Wait, isn't he constantly injured? How would that work?

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Originally Posted By: Spiritbro77
Ummmm YEAH YOU WILL. Jimmy you have tolerated it ALL YEAR LONG. You coddled meathead during the preseason. You KNEW he was gone and at the time it looked like for an entire year, yet you took reps away from players that wanted to be here so meathead could get some practice in. Then you run him right out there game one after his suspension taking time away from guys that have battled for you ALL YEAR. And are you trading him now? Well, by your statement you're not giving up on any of them. You're "giving them a chance". Yeah Jimmy, meathead has NEVER had a second chance. Or a third or a fourth.... TALK is cheap. You'll just flap your gums about not tolerating this behavior and then tolerate it anyway. Unless two of the three idiots are traded before the draft, you're full of hot air.

Totally agree Spirit. Time to clean house of the lay around do nothing dust bunnies.

And I'd like to hear you call out Ray Farmer for drafting two of the three idiots. Not necessarily fire him, but make it known that he HAS to draft better THIS year. Two firsts and a third with BAD attitudes in his first draft does NOT fill me with confidence.

#gmstrong
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
B
Originally Posted By: Cjrae

#gmstrong
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
M
B

Sorry Spirit to interrupt your post. I will try again...I totally agree with you. Put your big ol bag of money where your mouth is and clean house of those lay around do nothing dust bunnies.

I'm beginning to think that this business is just way, way too big (bigger than I thought) and hundreds of millions mean absolutely nothing to anyone involved. And that is a a sad, sad statement.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: DjangoBrown
Rish, have you read the vet player comments? JT? Whit? They're done with Manziel already.

His actions and words have contradicted itself from day one, more than just once, culminating in his concession of not having worked hard enough and then saying he would not have changed anything the very next sentence. He's either incredibly dumb or he thinks he can fool around with everyone. I actually think it's both: he's an idiot that truly believes he's smart. Worst of both worlds.

We've had exactly this same discussion back in January way before we drafted him when you accused me of letting my hatred get the best of me when I predicted exactly what is unfolding now: locker room devider, poor work ethic and vets disrespecting him for all of this

I never wanted him, I knew it was hype..but there are several ways this can go.
It might be these guys are trying to get outta Cleveland, which is something I did hear but don't know if it's fact.
If anyone is shipped out it might be Gordon first.
So lets dismiss him from the conversation.
Gilbert will probably be back, but once gain he'll have to fight for a job.
Manziel..I'd trade him if it were up to me.
Anyway, I suspect they will bring in another vet QB and draft one ..the dude is not ready to play , and is really 2 years away.
Sooo, he'll have to compete also but I don't see him beating anyone out.

Legend
Legend
Gordon is as good as gone...

as far as Manziel and Gilbert.. ahh.. too early to tell.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
A
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
A
I agree. The question is whether the Browns hold onto Gordon long enough to actually trade him and determining which team he is sent to instead of just cutting him making him free to sign with any team.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I just heard that Cousins has said if the Skins name RG3 the starter he wants traded. I would gladly trade for Cousins and then draft a young guy to groom. He knows the offense and has the tools to play in the NFL. His play has been up and down in DC but that can be attributed to the situation... everyone's play has been erratic there.

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
P
Legend
Legend
P
Please Not another Michigan State Backup QB tsktsk

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Titans....Jake Locker

Well, he'd fit right in, wouldn't he? Seriously though, I was being somewhat facetious (though I've always liked Locker), but as far as injury-prone, he would be playing behind one of the best Olines in the league. Locker may very well be available, but I don't believe we will pursue him...

V
Legend
Legend
V
Locker has battled injuries and accuracy his entire career. He fell in the draft because of his lack of accuracy.

He has a completion percentage of somewhere arournd 57 to 58%. He has only thrown 6 more TDs than picks. His career QB rating is less than 80.

That's all in addition to his injury history.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Locker has battled injuries and accuracy his entire career. He fell in the draft because of his lack of accuracy.

True. I don't recall why he fell in the draft (#8, I believe), but he did have a poor last season in college. Locker would likely cost us less than Bradford, and I don't know if there is anyone out there (and available) who could help us more...

Last edited by bbrowns32; 12/29/14 02:37 PM.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
I am not defending Manziel here, but it is appalling how some of you completely ignore Gordon and Gilbert and pile on JM. Sheesh, the first two guys were actually supposed to play in the game. And you excuse their behavior?

Gordon has been a cancer since college, but you don't criticize him.

Gilbert has drawn more criticism from teammates and coaches than any other player, yet you don't mention him.

I think Manziel is a jerk, too...........but sheesh........putting it all on him is ridiculous and reeks of the agenda that you and DJ always carry around w/you.

I think it is that the QB is supposed to be a leader. Nothing more than that.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
V
Legend
Legend
V
I think it is something more than that w/a few of these guys around here, but I agree w/you that Manziel sure as heck doesn't look like a leader.

I've only defended him because of how some gang up on him while excusing Gilbert and Gordon, but I won't shed one tear if we cut ties w/Manziel. He stunk the joint out in his brief appearance and his off field antics make his poor on-field performance look even worse.

Clarification: I will be upset if we get rid of him because that means we have failed to draft our franchise QB yet once again. Man, it seems like we would at least luck into finding a guy. It's so damn depressing rooting for the Browns.

Legend
Legend
Well, also, in fairness, Manziel has looked just flat out awful. At least Gilbert has played OK from time to time, and had a huge play with the INT and return. Manziel had that one TD drive, but has been pretty horrible other than that.

Gordon, obviously, had a huge year last year. He is an enormous talent. It is hard to walk away from talent like that. If Gordon were, say, Rod Smith, (and no offense to him ... just as an example) then he would be gone, and most people would not care. However the vision of big plays galore is not east to forget.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
F
Rookie
Rookie
F
Anyone hear who else was at JM's party? Just curious to see if there is any more guys involved.

Legend
Legend

Titans....Jake Locker

Well, he'd fit right in, wouldn't he? Seriously though, I was being somewhat facetious (though I've always liked Locker), but as far as injury-prone, he would be playing behind one of the best Olines in the league. Locker may very well be available, but I don't believe we will pursue him...

IN the beginning of the season, I'd have said, yeah, we may have one of the best Olines in the league. But after Mack went down, it was like they couldn't find a way to play together on a consistent basis.

I don't know much about Locker except he didn't do anything for the Titans. So I'd be reluctant to go get him if available.

There really isn't anybody in FA that excites me or fills me with any degree of confidence. So why not stick with the devil you know, Hoyer. At least until we find the right guy or Manziel wakes up (if ever)

Here's a hoot for you, I just got a text alert from NFL Mobile: Johnny Manziel said: "I have to learn or get a new job" LOL

He's right.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
As much as you and I argued over QBs, I will be honest, if we had taken Carr or Bridgewater, we are probably talking about hosting a playoff game instead of this nonsense.

Legend
Legend
Johnny Manziel: 'It's about being accountable instead of looking like a jackass'

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2014/12/johnny_manziel_its_about_actio.html

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: 3rd_and_20
Johnny Manziel: 'It's about being accountable instead of looking like a jackass'

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2014/12/johnny_manziel_its_about_actio.html

It's like a bad song on repeat. Why do I keep hearing it?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Mourgrym
As much as you and I argued over QBs, I will be honest, if we had taken Carr or Bridgewater, we are probably talking about hosting a playoff game instead of this nonsense.

At the very least we're not wondering WTF our QB will be next year. willynilly

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: BpG
Originally Posted By: 3rd_and_20

It's like a bad song on repeat. Why do I keep hearing it?

At this point in time you can't believe a freaking word that comes out of his mouth. He should just stop talking. rolleyes

#gmstrong
A
Legend
Legend
A
Words. Nothing but words.

He had friends in from Texas that were staying with him for the week...............might have been planned after his IR'ing...might not have been.

Words.

Then he tries to say his tweet thing, in the locker room on game day, about Chris Rock.........was an "accident"?

Words - nothing but excuses. Say the right thing Tuesday, do what the hell you want on Friday.

Words. That's what he has. Words. Not actions.

Prior to him being drafted there was an article in either S.I. or ESPN the Mag......about him. It was not complimentary, over all. He's spoiled, has been since birth. Even his dad didn't like playing golf with him.

He has matured ZERO since then.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Jimmy Haslam: We won't tolerate irresponsible players

Link Copied to Clipboard