V
LOL...........you are funny. smile

A
Legend
Legend
A
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
LOL...........you are funny. smile

What? You say the same things about manziel that I do......but then you say you defend him because of me?

Can't have it both ways.

V
Legend
Legend
V
The difference is that you hate Manziel and are hoping he fails. You have defended Gordon and ignored Gilbert's problems, yet you harp on JM's issues.

I call that an agenda.

I get on Manziel because he stunk. I don't do it out of hatred, like you do.

I am also willing to call out the other two guys, something you don't do......which in my mind, makes your opinion meaningless.

A
Legend
Legend
A
You obviously haven't been following along. That fits your agenda.

I'm fine with getting rid of Gordon.

I don't hate manziel - I dislike what he personifies off the field, and his actions have proven that he just doesn't get it yet.

Neither do you.

And further, manziels actions ON the field have proven he doesn't get it. He's said so himself. And 3-4 days after his last mea culpa...........he's too drunk to go to work. Then he has another mea culpa and says all the right words.

Look, Johnny has brought it on himself. Not me. HE needs to defend himself in actions, not words.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I agree w/most of that, but you have defended Gordon and you don't say squat about Gilbert, who is making more money and was drafted higher than JM.

A
Legend
Legend
A
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
I agree w/most of that, but you have defended Gordon and you don't say squat about Gilbert, who is making more money and was drafted higher than JM.

So, that makes my criticism of manziel somehow invalid? Please.

V
Legend
Legend
V
You aren't getting it. I am just asking you to be real.

Is that too much to ask?

A
Legend
Legend
A
So, I'm only allowed to have my say about manziel if I also criticize others? Really?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A couple of other points about Manziel, which are well known, but need to be placed in context. A few of the comments may be associated with other threads, so additional reading may be required.

He come from a family in Texas that has made money in oil. This may be an underlying reason behind his "big money" ego. Even without "big money" you wont be hearing any stories about a rough up bringing.

He is not illiterate, or anything close to that. Don't let videos mislead you as it is common for most youth to speak in term that may not be common to those of his elders, me included as I have a son as well.

As a QB prospect, I will echo statements of others, Manziel was highly competitive and could make a difference between a win and a loss. How that translates to the pro game remains to be seen. He need to learn the position of NFL QB and will need to adapt to the NFL game which is more technical and complex. I stated elsewhere that his mobility is a detriment now, but can be a positive if he learns how to play at the NFL level. Otherwise he will wind up as another wasted draft choice.

There were many NFL QB greats that were terrible to start, most are. But when you are 21 without 4 years of QB college experience and rely on a improvisational skill set, it will take time.

So if I am the Browns, I have plan B in place. Whether that is a bridge QB via FA or another high pick, you can't place all of your cards on his outcome.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Legend
Legend
I'm going to piggyback on your post with something that hasn't really been explored yet... at least not in this particular light.

If JM really wants to be a pro QB, this year was probably the very best thing that could have happened to him.

He came into 'The League Of Distinguished Men' as cocky, brash 21 year-old kid... and promptly got the tightest ass-whoopin he's probably ever received. "Welcome to the NFL, kid" (with apologies to our friend Lemmy... wink )

Had to compete for a starting job. Lost.
Had a 'package' designed especially for him. Shelved.
Positive press turned to negative press because of off-field issues.
Called a 'midget' by an established NFL coach.
Harassed, shellacked, and mocked by that coach's players... in front of the home town crowd.
Banged up, beat up, and benched up in his second start of an NFL career.

------------

Ego and pride are two entirely different things. Ego, JM had aplenty. This humbling experience playing with Real Men should surely bruise that. If not, he's a dunce who will flame out in 2 years or less... and the League will hardly remember him.

If however, he has a measure of pride, he'll take this smack-down, use it as fuel to reassert himself to The Game, and place the humiliation back upon his tormentors when his opportunity arises.

The difference between 'ego' and 'pride' is determined by a person's character. So far, he's only shown us the former. Of the latter.... well, that remains to be seen.

He got his first taste of adulthood this year. Real Life don't play. Real Life don't care about JM. It will take its measure of him whether he thinks it's fair or not. How he responds (as a young adult) will go a long way in determining his next 10 years... and possibly beyond. This is going to take work. A LOT of work. And that's where his character will be revealed.

I wish him well, I really do. He's a Brown, he's just getting started in life... and I'm a sucker for success stories that begin with adversity.

Time to become a man, Young Mister Manziel. Can you do it... on one of the world's biggest stages?

What an interesting story to watch unfold.

"too many notes, not enough music-"

#GMStong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Bard Dawg
Won't speak for the rest of us here, just my sweet self, but I cannot and I refuse to say that I can see JM as "the face of the Browns." Has to look up to see bottom. We had to take a look. We have. Next.

That about sums it up.

At the very least he isn't a bore.

Too bad for us he can't cut it in the pros. I really wanted him to be that guy (our next great QB) - and Lord knows we need that here in Browns Town, but he isn't the one.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: 3rd_and_20
Originally Posted By: Bard Dawg
Won't speak for the rest of us here, just my sweet self, but I cannot and I refuse to say that I can see JM as "the face of the Browns." Has to look up to see bottom. We had to take a look. We have. Next.

That about sums it up.

At the very least he isn't a bore.

Too bad for us he can't cut it in the pros. I really wanted him to be that guy (our next great QB) - and Lord knows we need that here in Browns Town, but he isn't the one.

If he had only showed that his talent could translate to the NFL I would be willing to put up with his BS until he grows up a little... But I did not see that at all.

He was who I wanted in the draft, and I really hoped he could come up to be the long term answer. I still hope we keep him at least one more season just to see if the lights come on and the talent shows up, but He would be 3rd string in my plans.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
M
Rookie
Rookie
M
Originally Posted By: Clemdawg
I'm going to piggyback on your post with something that hasn't really been explored yet... at least not in this particular light.

If JM really wants to be a pro QB, this year was probably the very best thing that could have happened to him.

He came into 'The League Of Distinguished Men' as cocky, brash 21 year-old kid... and promptly got the tightest ass-whoopin he's probably ever received. "Welcome to the NFL, kid" (with apologies to our friend Lemmy... wink )

Had to compete for a starting job. Lost.
Had a 'package' designed especially for him. Shelved.
Positive press turned to negative press because of off-field issues.
Called a 'midget' by an established NFL coach.
Harassed, shellacked, and mocked by that coach's players... in front of the home town crowd.
Banged up, beat up, and benched up in his second start of an NFL career.

------------

Ego and pride are two entirely different things. Ego, JM had aplenty. This humbling experience playing with Real Men should surely bruise that. If not, he's a dunce who will flame out in 2 years or less... and the League will hardly remember him.

If however, he has a measure of pride, he'll take this smack-down, use it as fuel to reassert himself to The Game, and place the humiliation back upon his tormentors when his opportunity arises.

The difference between 'ego' and 'pride' is determined by a person's character. So far, he's only shown us the former. Of the latter.... well, that remains to be seen.

He got his first taste of adulthood this year. Real Life don't play. Real Life don't care about JM. It will take its measure of him whether he thinks it's fair or not. How he responds (as a young adult) will go a long way in determining his next 10 years... and possibly beyond. This is going to take work. A LOT of work. And that's where his character will be revealed.

I wish him well, I really do. He's a Brown, he's just getting started in life... and I'm a sucker for success stories that begin with adversity.

Time to become a man, Young Mister Manziel. Can you do it... on one of the world's biggest stages?

What an interesting story to watch unfold.

Saying Johnny is facing adversity is an insult to those who face actual adversity. What he has to overcome is his own self-created drama.

Legend
Legend
"Saying Johnny is facing adversity is an insult to those who face actual adversity. What he has to overcome is his own self-created drama."

So true. JM needs to go to Yoda for Jedi training.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
I think keeping him around should be predicated on this off season. If he's still acting like a clown, just drop him to let the veterans know that you're serious.

I have more qualms with the organization than with Manziel on this. Farmer's presser just sounded and read like enabling.

Pettine gives me the impression that he's trying to instill discipline, but I also get the idea he's chucking pails out of a sinking ship.

I hope that Bud Shaw piece is full of assumptions, because its damning.

T
All Pro
All Pro
T
I hope Manziel gets his act together, but I don't think he will. His legendary competitive drive comes on the field, but not in the film room. I think they are two different things.
If he was really humbled and determined to make himself an NFL quarterback, after posting statistically one of the worst games in history and looking pathetic, you would think he would want to lay low and work his butt off. You would think he would be so embarrassed that all he thought about was going to work and proving everyone wrong.
Nope, he wants to party, tweet and go to South Beach. Doesn't seem to grasp that he has gone from sharing a stage with LeBron to being a total joke. He is not dumb, I thin he got a 32 on the Wonderlic. But he grew up rich and I just don't think he has that reservoir to reach back into.
I wanted the guy to be great, ad I still do. I just don't think he has the right makeup.

Legend
Legend
Gordon.. bye bye..

Manziel.. he gets one shot to prove himself.

Gilbert.. keep him.. u can never have too many good corners...

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
V
Legend
Legend
V
True, but you can have too many bad corners. Gilbert stunk this year. He wasn't even close to good.

E
Legend
Legend
E
j/c...

Many good points all around here.

One question. Do you think that Manziel would:
a. be a differently regarded QB
b. be a different mental attitude of all things in general including football.

IF THERE WERE NO SMART PHONE INVENTED.

The kid like many of his generation live by that Smart Phone with all those APPS, Twitter accounts, Instant Messanger, etc.

Also being a spoiled rich kid tells me he's had a Smart phone probably since his 13th Birthday or something like that!

It's sadly part of who he is.

As for this last occurrence NOTHING like Gordons and Gilbert I have not heard one word of what happened on him so I'm ignorant. But JM the media crucified him. Blamed him for Gordon partying and not showing up at this FICTITIOUS Party! And they still are reporting that he had a party. GOOD no but showing up late for your Rehab when you are on IR is not a OH NO Transgression. He got fined and scolded and brutalized in the media. But if you really look at it - it was more harmless than devious. We have not seen any Pic, videos of him at a Party or club, we all know if there was that action there would be photos. So maybe he just had a Drink a thon and Madden football stuff with 3 HS Friends that came up for a visit. A lot of laughing telling of stories and yes, drinking till the wee hours of the morning...like my boys have had with their friends as they come over for the weekend. The get their booze play their games watch their Japanese animated films (sadly most are geeks... lol laugh trust me not sadly I like them all and they made my son a good student, he taught them how to drink)

But this is you or if you are an older generation - when you finished your first semester of your Junior year in college. That is where he is at maturity wise. Still a demonizing situation like this media is grilling him for?

Shame on the media I say. Doesn't make him an angel without blame. Now Gordon? That is get rid of this bum. and I've been on his side for most of the ordeals. Gilbert, haven't heard a word of exactly what happened, just the initial LIE from the media saying he was at Manziel's party.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
V
Legend
Legend
V
I have no inside information on this one, tab......but, I think that both Manziel and Gilbert get another chance. I do think that Pettine may have reached out to the vets to publically scold Gilbert. The kid has talent. He just apparently needs to develop a work ethic.

Gordon? I would not be surprised at all to see us cut ties w/him. He's had so many chances. And the team did get worse once he came back.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: misterbaseball99

Saying Johnny is facing adversity is an insult to those who face actual adversity. What he has to overcome is his own self-created drama.

100%.

JM - what I fear is that he is the epitome of a media created "star" much like the kardashians (spl?) as an NFL QB there is just nothing of any substance about him, he seems fake and like plastic ... yes he was a good college football player. But that is ancient history. He now has to be judged on his ability (or lack of) on an NFL football field. So far he has done absolutely NOTHING since being drafted by the Browns that even suggests he should be on the team as even a 3rd string QB. If anything - the media frenzy that follows him, the partying and rock star image, the lackadaisical entitled attitude and effort that he has carried himself with ..... all reeks of total bust. He's talked a good game on a couple of occasions - and he washes up well and sounds contrite, sort of says all the right things. But that all counts for precisely nothing. He's into the 'just shut the F up and do it' stage. Personally I think he's done. There is nothing that he's shown me to suggest that the intangibles that made him a success in college will translate to the NFL - and he's demonstrated a clear lack of dedication to the 'craft'. I hope we have not just wasted another #22 pick - but every fiber says we have. With that said - you bring him back, lay out your plan and expectations, you dictate that clearly his "I'll live my life my way" work attitude is NOT going to translate into being a starting QB in the NFL and he needs to choose.... you hope that something changes. He's cheap to keep and cheap to cut, so you try to make it work.

Gordon - based on last year we know what Gordon can produce on the field. He isn't "potential" he's the real deal. He's a top 5 WR in the NFL. He's also a head case. He's had a chronic history of drug issues. He's had a bad work and effort ethic since he returned this year. There is only one question about Gordon - can the coaching staff get through to him and make a difference? Can the senior players on the team get through to him? You can't trade him .... What team is going to trade for a headcase who is 1 violation away from a 'permanent' ban? There is no value in trading him .... either fix him or cut him. He's not getting cut during the offseason. Just gotta hope that a light bulb comes on ... there isn't a lot of reason to expect that to happen, but you still wait and hope and put a plan in place to try to help him. The reward is very high - the downside at this point virtually nothing.

Gilbert - A bit like Gordon except he hasn't proven anything and it's all "potential" ... and he doesn't have a long track history of knuckleheadness. Get him back in - show him tough love (which seems to have already begun) - bury him 3,4 or 5 deep on the depth chart and make him earn any playing time. If he doesn't perform - sit his azz on the bench. He's got no value as a first round bust, he costs nothing to try and turn around his work ethic and attitude. If it works then great. if not we are no worse off.

Someone said they want to see Farmer accountable for the 2 first round problem picks . . . . in what way? Why? How? . . . This was Farmers draft. Every pick is his, he owns it. As he will for the upcoming draft. People get so upset with the corporate spin that businesses use - but regardless of what is said about scouts and systems et al, this was Farmers Draft. Debating it seems only to validate there might be some doubt about it. I don't get it.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
T
All Pro
All Pro
T
I said Farmer doesn't seem accountable for blowing the first round because he said some crap about inheriting notes on players or something. It was totally ridiculous. And he is the one who took the worst QB of the bunch and a player at a position we really didn't need. He did pull off a great trade, but then he blew it.
People whispered about Derek Carr having some sort of maturity issue. Geez. Guy has size, a cannon and bloodlines. They were worried about his attitude or ability to read defenses so they took party boy who never read a playbook in his life.
Farmer had an AWFUL draft. A good first round and we are in the playoffs with a QB of the future. He hurt the team more than anyone this year. He doesn't have to apologize, but he shouldn't make lame excuses and he ought to show more humility.

A
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
A
Originally Posted By: misterbaseball99
Needs to keep his mouth shut, stop whoring for attention and get better at football.

At least long enough to get traded to another team.

A
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
A
Originally Posted By: HotBYoungTurk
Gordon.. bye bye..

Manziel.. he gets one shot to prove himself.

Gilbert.. keep him.. u can never have too many good corners...

I think this is close, but I also think Manziel could be in the 'bye-bye' category if some team inquires about him.

O
Legend
Legend
O
I don't think any of these guys are in the 'bye-bye' category.

Gordon would be the closest, but he's also the only one that has shown he has NFL skills, and elite ones, at that. I hate the guy's track record as much as anyone else here (ok, maybe not vers tongue ) but the guy has skills. Simply thinking logically, I don't think the FO lets him go because of that. I think they actually take the WR position seriously this time around, and look to position themselves where the talent level doesn't take a hit when they do toss his butt.

Manziel could be closer to being tossed because he really didn't show much as far as NFL skills, and managing his negative press has been a nightmare. I think Pettine and Farmer take a serious look at his chances of developing into a legit NFL QB, and make their decision from there (which I predict will end up with us hanging onto him).

Gilbert I'm willing to give a pass. I think the coaches have already decided all he needs is a bunch of tough love to get his head into it. I like that he did show improvement from the beginning of the year to later. I don't hold it against him that an UDFA played well. K'Waun Williams play and Gilbert's play are two separate things.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
All Pro
All Pro
Originally Posted By: eotab
j/c...

Many good points all around here.

One question. Do you think that Manziel would:
a. be a differently regarded QB
b. be a different mental attitude of all things in general including football.

IF THERE WERE NO SMART PHONE INVENTED.

The kid like many of his generation live by that Smart Phone with all those APPS, Twitter accounts, Instant Messanger, etc.

Also being a spoiled rich kid tells me he's had a Smart phone probably since his 13th Birthday or something like that!

Even without the phone he'd have the work ethic of a turnip, so yeah, he'd still be a bust. H simply doesn't have the physical traits (and that's granting that he's got the skills you say he has, which I disagree with) to not need to work his ass off to even be an average NFL QB. He just doesn't appear to have it in him...

Last in, first out, the sign of a true champion!
[Linked Image from i301.photobucket.com]
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
Yeah, the only benefit I could see from a lack of a smart phone would be less opportunity for him to present himself or being captured presenting himself as a dumbass.

I can't see how an absence of one would make him less of a dunce, or give him an NFL skillset or NFL size or self-awareness or work ethic.

Hint: the problem isn't a smart phone.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
.." I said Farmer doesn't seem accountable for blowing the first round because he said some crap about inheriting notes on players or something// "

Farmer comes from Excuse America , you know it's always someone Else's fault.. Very prevalent all across this Country of ours ..

These same scouts came up with the Crow , Williams , Gabriel and so on !

Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Well, Johnny Football / Johnny Money / Johnny Manziel has about six months to grow up. He needs to learn what "professional" football player means.
We'll see come training camp.
Unless he's in prison for DWI or something by then.

A
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
A
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
I don't think any of these guys are in the 'bye-bye' category.

Alright. Fine. I happen to think that each and every one of them is possibly in the 'bye-bye' category. I'm certain that Gordon is, Manziel is close and Gilbert should be able to recognize Manziel's face with how close he is to Manziel.

Quote:
Gordon would be the closest, but he's also the only one that has shown he has NFL skills, and elite ones, at that. I hate the guy's track record as much as anyone else here (ok, maybe not vers tongue ) but the guy has skills. Simply thinking logically, I don't think the FO lets him go because of that.

Thinking logically, they suspended him for the final game. Do you really think it was to possibly keep him around for an extra year? Remember, he's filing suit against the team for doing it. He's proven to be unprofessional in his behavior, why should they want to keep him around?

Quote:
I think they actually take the WR position seriously this time around, and look to position themselves where the talent level doesn't take a hit when they do toss his butt.

I'm sure that they do look at the WR position seriously. I think that they did take it seriously from the context that they viewed it. From my view, I think you value the position more personally than the Browns front office does. I happen to agree with the front office's position more than yours.

Quote:
Manziel could be closer to being tossed because he really didn't show much as far as NFL skills, and managing his negative press has been a nightmare. I think Pettine and Farmer take a serious look at his chances of developing into a legit NFL QB, and make their decision from there (which I predict will end up with us hanging onto him).

They may hang onto him simply to keep him as a backup. I have no real indication anymore that Farmer really thinks that Manziel can be a productive QB at the NFL level. I actually think that he has come to a conclusion already and will try to shield Manziel from exposing himself further as a failure on the field so as to rebuild some kind of trade value. If they receive an offer during the off-season for Manziel that they can live with then I think they'll take it.

Quote:
Gilbert I'm willing to give a pass. I think the coaches have already decided all he needs is a bunch of tough love to get his head into it. I like that he did show improvement from the beginning of the year to later. I don't hold it against him that an UDFA played well. K'Waun Williams play and Gilbert's play are two separate things.

In regards to Gilbert, I think it's a different case because it was two veteran players that came out and criticized him publicly. My inclination is to think that Dansby & Whitner will take care of him in the locker room and I think that they probably were chosen by most of their teammates to be the spokesmen for the entire team.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:
'Ray Farmer expects Josh Gordon to fight suspension, indicates he could be gone'

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ss..._social_feature

By Mary Kay Cabot, Northeast Ohio Media Group on December 30, 2014 at 5:50 PM, updated December 30, 2014 at 6:52 PM

BEREA, Ohio -- Browns general manager Ray Farmer expects a battle from Josh Gordon's representatives on his suspension for the Ravens game and subsequent delayed year of free agency. He also acknowledged the Browns are trying to determine if Gordon is worth the trouble.

"I'm sure that they probably will contest it,'' said Farmer in his season wrap-up press conference Tuesday. "From our perspective it is what it is and we'll deal with that through the right channels."

The Browns have grown tired of Gordon's indiscretions and are contemplating cutting him. His latest misstep was oversleeping for the Saturday morning walk-through, which resulted in the one-game suspension for the season finale. It followed a series of tardies for which he was fined.

"I'm not one to talk publicly about my interactions with the players, and I've had conversations with Josh, recent and past,'' said Farmer. "When the final determination is made, Josh will be the first to know and then everybody else will find out after that."

Gordon's suspension cost him an accrued season, which requires six games on the active roster. He was active for only five. His representatives have been trying to work something out with the Browns, but are expected to file a grievance. The suspension could cost Gordon millions, because he's now set to become an unrestricted free agent after 2016 instead of 2015.

If the Browns try to trade Gordon when the new league year opens in March, the extra year of rights would be beneficial. His $1.33 million average salary makes him a tradeable commodity. Most top receivers make $11 million to $16 million.

Gordon has supporters on a number of teams, including the Vikings (former Browns assistants Norv and Scott Turner), the Colts (former Browns head coach Rob Chudzinski) and Broncos (former Browns GM Tom Heckert).

Farmer said the Browns will huddle to determine whether or not to keep the three players that gave them problems this season: Gordon, Manziel and Justin Gilbert.

"That'll be a conversation that we have between the staff and the coaches,'' he said. "We'll make that determination, and then if it does happen, it'll happen in time. It won't happen today."

He wouldn't say that Gordon, who's been suspended twice by the NFL for violations of the substance-abuse policy, is a lost cause.

"I strive in every respect to give every guy the opportunity to achieve success,'' said Farmer. "I will fight tooth-and-nail to get those guys those things (they need), and when they demonstrate that they're either un-saveable or we can't help them anymore, or they don't want the help, then we'll move on.''

Farmer stressed that Gordon's issues may outweigh his immense talent.

"One of the things that I was told when I was a young player in this league is that your best ability may be your availability,'' said Farmer. "You've got to be accountable to yourself, to others and to this organization. I think that Jimmy (Haslam) made that clear after the game. I think that Pett (Mike Pettine) made that clear yesterday. I guess I'm just putting the period on it today.''

He disagreed with Browns left tackle Joe Thomas that Gordon's return after 10 games this year was a detriment to the offense.

"No one person causes or derails anything,'' he said. "We as a group have to overcome whatever obstacles we have, and we didn't do that late in the year. I wouldn't put that on Josh. I wouldn't put that on any one individual."

He said he doesn't regret not drafting a receiver in the aftermath of Gordon's drug ban.

"I know everyone says I'm stubborn or I'm going to be obstinate about this wide receiver position, but I just think that at the end of the day an offensive line affects every single play of the game,'' he said. "A wide receiver may touch the ball 10 times if he's having a great day, so I just like the idea of 'let's get the guys that affect the game all the time, and let's try and get those guys and make a difference for our football team.' ''

Between Farmer's philosophy on elite receivers and Gordon's off-the-field issues, it wouldn't be a surprise for the Browns to part ways this offseason.

Do you ever feel embarrassed after posting nonsense like you just did and then presented w/facts? Or, are you the type of guy to stick to your guns no matter how wrong you are?

Just wondering?

Legend
Legend
Farmer is right. On most of it.

The headache might not be worth the talent. I've grown tired of Gordon's crap. I've defended the guy over and over but man. When will he learn?

I swear all it might take is one offseason where gordon doesn't get in trouble. If he can make it past the draft and OTAs and all that, he will be fine.

But that's enitrely up to him, and that starts with not fighting the suspension. Which I doubt he will stop.

What people forget is that money wise, we don't pay him anything. So it's not a waste to keep trying with him. Same with Gilbert or MANZIEL.

And I definitely disagree with Thomas. This guy got to the pro bowl on reputation alone, because he had had plenty to do with our QBs getting killed and ineffectiveness running the ball. Not to mention the amount of penalties he had compared to other seasons.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
Quote:
Thinking logically, they suspended him for the final game. Do you really think it was to possibly keep him around for an extra year? Remember, he's filing suit against the team for doing it. He's proven to be unprofessional in his behavior, why should they want to keep him around?

there is another reason to keep him under contract a year longer, it would make him better trade bait.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
A
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
A
Originally Posted By: Damanshot
Quote:

there is another reason to keep him under contract a year longer, it would make him better trade bait.

How? Other than get canonized for sainthood, what could he do right now to improve his trade value?

O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
A year similar to what he did in 2013.

The obvious response then becomes: Well if he did that, we wouldn't want to trade him.

But I would, and I would hope the Browns would as well.

I don't like Gordon. I don't trust Gordon. And I don't believe in Gordon to act right for longer than a few months. If I had the chance to sell him for a 2nd round pick I'd take it and never look back.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Having 2 years under his rookie contract makes him more valuable in trade than having only one year remaining.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Legend
Legend
Quote:
If I had the chance to sell him for a 2nd round pick I'd take it and never look back

Me too... but at this point in time, I don't think the Browns can get anything close to a 2 pick.

And because of his skill set/ potential, it's a dicey proposition to let him go for anything less than a 2

This kid is a headache in every conceivable way. There's NEVER an easy answer, when it comes to him.

"too many notes, not enough music-"

#GMStong
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Legend
P
WR's aren't particularly valuable on the trade market.

Headache WR's never net what they're worth.

But the truth of the matter is, the only place Josh Gordon is going to be able to thrive is in a stable, successful organization.

We are not such a place.

The best bet with him is to hope he has a strong opening to next year, and move him for a 4th or 5th round pick, maybe a third if you're lucky.

That is, if he can manage to not get arrested in the off season. Then you just cut bait.

A
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
A
Originally Posted By: OverToad
If I had the chance to sell him for a 2nd round pick I'd take it and never look back.[/color]

I'd take a 4th rounder and smile as I did it.

A
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
A
Originally Posted By: Jester
Having 2 years under his rookie contract makes him more valuable in trade than having only one year remaining.

Because he'll stay clean for the remainder of the contract? Even if he did - would he show up on-time or at all?

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Jimmy Haslam: We won't tolerate irresponsible players

Link Copied to Clipboard