Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Legend
Legend

The current team and most of the young fans have no idea who those players are.

It is not about building the team through free agency or the draft.

It is about building a team that wins. A team that is in the title hunt consistently.

A team that refreshes the roster when needed. A team that manages the cap wisely and drafts well consistently.

A team that has a plan and works the plan.

When you do a study on quarterbacks and the results of the study says draft Bridgewater: Than do it.

If your OC looks at a quarterback and likes the guy and you could grab him in the second round pay attention.

When the highest need on the team intersects with the BPA; take the guy. Don't try and get cute and think your out smarting everyone.

Today the Browns added Thad Lewis to the roster.

http://cle.247sports.com/Bolt/Report-Browns-add-QB-Thad-Lewis-36139571

That's the Thad Lewis who was just cut by the Texans. He was added to Josh McCown who was just cut by the Bucs.
They are going to help Johnny Manziel. Manziel - that's the guy we traded up for in the first round last year. The guy who is now in rehab with no time frame to returning.

That is the quarterback depth chart that is going to take on the AFC North.

Is there another team in the NFL with a worst quarterback roster?

Most fans just want to win. A winning season is not asking for too much is it? Win nine or ten games. Improve the team. Is it that much to ask to find a legit starting quarterback? Somebody that at least gives you a chance?

E
Legend
Legend
E
Just where did I mock anyone...only one I think I ever do is after they mock me.

ehhhh...nah I won't get banned for good I guess. cool smile laugh grin

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: bonefish

Is it that much to ask to find a legit starting quarterback?

I don't believe that you will find one person on this board that disputes that. But where do you find that guy...where???

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Legend
Legend

But where do you find that guy...where???
=======================================================
Well normally the draft.

We have passed on plenty of guys who have become starters. Not all have been first rounders either. That is what scouting is all about.

This year Bradford "was" available. Nick Foles was available. Are they "the" answer?

That is questionable. But both guys have been at least starters. Bradford was the former first pick in the draft. He did alright when he has played. Yes, he has been injured but he is still young and at least there is some potential. Foles has started. One year really good almost MVP numbers. Second year not so good but got hurt. Still young and with some potential.

The Browns have two first round picks this year. They could possibly land Mariota.

I don't know much about the other guys in this draft besides Winston and Mariota. Bryce Petty might be worth a flyer. Again that is what the GM and his people are payed to find out. Not hard to pick the Andrew Lucks's of the world. But other teams do find players like Russell Wilson. Flacco was a late first rounder.

Really I don't see how the Browns can go into 2015 with the quarterbacks they now have.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
^^ I don't think they're done bringing in quarterbacks.

I cannot see a logical scenario where they go into the 2015 season with only McCown and Manziel.

I would be utterly shocked if we don't draft a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round...

"You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave"
Legend
Legend

Repeat they just added Thad Lewis.

For crying out loud what else can you ask for?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Thad was all I was hoping for. My life is complete... rofl

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Originally Posted By: SuperBrown

Lol!

B
Legend
Legend
B

I know it isn't what you were hoping for, but when you put it in to the context of building the bottom of your roster, Lewis is a pretty solid pick-up. The guy has lots of starting experience for a QB who always funds himself on the bottom rung in the QB room.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

I know it isn't what you were hoping for, but when you put it in to the context of building the bottom of your roster, Lewis is a pretty solid pick-up. The guy has lots of starting experience for a QB who always funds himself on the bottom rung in the QB room.

peen - you have many times talked about improving the bottom of the roster, and it is a big part of what we need to do. If we sign a guy who moves a less talented player off the roster, then we have improved with that move.

I would like to hear which FA QB these people think we should have signed.

I am not saying I am comfortable with our QB situation. It is weak. I just do not see the options.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
D
Legend
Legend
D
Terry Pluto brought up Matt Moore yesterday in a column as a possibility. Its just the type of tidbit the Browns might throw his way for being a "friend" in the media. I don't mean that to rip on Pluto - Hal Leboviz and Chuck Heaton filled that role in years past, as did Gib Shanley, Nev Chandler, Casey Coleman, and Jim Donovan on the TV side. These media members tended not to fly off the handle, kept their powder dry, would do an occasional rip job, but usually spoke the company line when reporting - in exchange for certain perks like exclusive interviews, inside scoops, and advanced knowledge of pending moves. None of this can be proved or documented, its just my strong opinion from decades of being a Browns fan and media watcher.

Anyway, back to the QB situation ... I'm starting to think there's more to the Manziel rehab than a few weeks of counseling for substance abuse. I won't speculate, but it could be that the Browns now think they can't rely on JM for the 2015 season (or maybe ever), and therefore need to sign another vet QB. Moore would fill the bill, and I'd feel better with him starting than McCown. The only thing I can't figure out under that scenario is why they would over-pay McCown so much when they might have gotten him for half as much.

Its all just conjecture on my part at this point, but that's what a message board is for, right? Just some guys (or gals) sitting at a bar, or in lawn chairs by the grill, or at the proverbial watercooler at work talking about their favorite football team.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
jc...

Listening to radio, Grossi on the bigshow...talk about Manziel by one of the hosts, speculation was Manziel is a question mark to play in 2015.

I thought that was bit extreme, as in "unbelievable", unless someone has a source..and there was no source..just ideal talk between Grossi and hosts. They speculated that was the reason the Browns signed Lewis.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: mac
[color:#FFFF99]jc...

Listening to radio, Grossi on the bigshow...talk about Manziel by one of the hosts, speculation was Manziel is a question mark to play in 2015.

I thought that was bit extreme, as in "unbelievable", unless someone has a source..and there was no source..just ideal talk between Grossi and hosts. They speculated that was the reason the Browns signed Lewis.

You did mean "idle" talk, right? Or was that a Freudian slip...

Last edited by bbrowns32; 03/13/15 10:53 AM.

R
Legend
Legend
R
It was a little more than idle talk.

Rizzo claimed his sources have told him that it is unlikely that Manziel will play this year. Grossi had not heard the same, but as I mentioned yesterday, Grossi does not appear to have any sources at all with the Browns.

Rizzo was pretty definitive on what he had been told. It wasn't speculation or idle chit chat. He was even a little reluctant to bring it up.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Rishuz

Rizzo claimed his sources have told him that it is unlikely that Manziel will play this year. Grossi had not heard the same, but as I mentioned yesterday, Grossi does not appear to have any sources at all with the Browns.

Rizzo was pretty definitive on what he had been told. It wasn't speculation or idle chit chat. He was even a little reluctant to bring it up.

Well, I guess that was always a possibility, but certainly unexpected and not good news for the team. Two "lost" years off his career? Not good at all...

Last edited by bbrowns32; 03/13/15 11:16 AM.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: bbrowns32

Well, I guess that was always a possibility, but certainly unexpected and not good news for the team. Two "lost" years off his career? Not good at all...

Two lost years on a team that needs, and has needed a Qb, increases his chances of being written off and moved on from. Some could speculate that has already happened. Pathetic.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Dawg_LB

Two lost years on a team that needs, and has needed a Qb, increases his chances of being written off and moved on from. Some could speculate that has already happened. Pathetic.

It certainly does, I grant you that. It is too soon however, to write him off yet...

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
jc...

32..what, did I misspell ideal?

...and who is this gal named Freudian... rofl

Yep, I got it wrong, even though I did spell it right... thumbsup lol

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M

rish...you heard that too, that it is unlikely that Manziel will play this year.

I didn't know which host said it, you say it was Rizzo and I'll take your word on that.

When I heard it, I knew it would become a story...Rizzo should have kept his mouth shut.

Last edited by mac; 03/13/15 02:51 PM.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
jc...

32..what, did I misspell ideal?

...and who is this gal named Freudian... rofl

Yep, I got it wrong, even though I did spell it right... thumbsup lol

Take off your dancing shoes, mac... nanner

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
jc...

Follow

Sports Buzz OHIO
‏@ClevelandBadGuy
WOW BREAKING NEWS: @TheRealTRizzo said a source very close to him said Johnny Manziel will not play in the 2015 @NFL season #SameOldBrowns

link

Last edited by mac; 03/13/15 03:09 PM.

C
Legend
Legend
C
jc...

Follow

Sports Buzz OHIO
‏@ClevelandBadGuy
WOW BREAKING NEWS: @TheRealTRizzo said a source very close to him said Johnny Manziel will not play in the 2015 @NFL season #SameOldBrowns

link

I'll believe it when I hear it from a person that I trust.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

Wait a minute - are you really doubting Cleveland Bad Guy as a credible source?

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
jc...

Follow

Sports Buzz OHIO
‏@ClevelandBadGuy

link

Johnny Manziel will not play in the 2015

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Manziel will be the starter. Believe that

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: pblack18707
jc...

Follow

Sports Buzz OHIO
‏@ClevelandBadGuy

link

Johnny Manziel will not play in the 2015

. . .

Because Josh McCown is awesome and is going to win the MVP!

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
jc...

Follow

Sports Buzz OHIO
‏@ClevelandBadGuy

link

cfrs...I understand...this guy is confirming the same comment that Rishuz and I heard Rizzo make on the radio today.

Obviously, others heard it too.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Right, but I don't trust whoever made the original comment either.

P
Legend
Legend
P
While I don't really have any faith in the source, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if JFF doesn't see the field this year.

While people seem to promote the idea he is in rehab for alcohol, six weeks and counting isn't a good sign. We actually have no idea what his issue is or how deep it runs.

I wish him all the best, but when looking at the odds of success concerning rehab, we don't know how deep the issues are, what they are, but we do know that the odds of success are less than 50/50.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
A
Legend
Legend
A
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
While I don't really have any faith in the source, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if JFF doesn't see the field this year.

While people seem to promote the idea he is in rehab for alcohol, six weeks and counting isn't a good sign. We actually have no idea what his issue is or how deep it runs.

I wish him all the best, but when looking at the odds of success concerning rehab, we don't know how deep the issues are, what they are, but we do know that the odds of success are less than 50/50.

I admit I don't know much about re-hab........but, is it normal for a person to miss a year, maybe a year and a half, of work due to re-hab?

At some point in time - say, after 3 or 4 months - can't a person go to work, then to appointments/re-hab in the evenings?

Alcohol or drugs, or both - man, how deep was he into that stuff that he may miss a whole year re-habbing?

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
I admit I don't know much about re-hab........but, is it normal for a person to miss a year, maybe a year and a half, of work due to re-hab?

At some point in time - say, after 3 or 4 months - can't a person go to work, then to appointments/re-hab in the evenings?

Alcohol or drugs, or both - man, how deep was he into that stuff that he may miss a whole year re-habbing?

arch...same with me..I don't understand how Manziel could miss the season just because he was in rehab...

I would think that if Manziel returned to a somewhat normal routine, while maintaining a outpatient rehab schedule, football would benefit him.

Unless there has been no improvement what so ever, I have a hard time believing the claims that Manziel won't be playing in 2015.

Last edited by mac; 03/13/15 06:03 PM.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: archbolddawg

There are a couple of trains of thought here. While it's rumored that it involves alcohol, we really don't know. Could it be something worse or far more troublesome? Possibly. Does it involve his mental health? Possibly.

Could it involve multiple drug test failures we are currently unaware of? Possibly. Could the team, after finding out more details of his issues simply have written him off for this season? Possibly. I mean we all saw a glimpse of just how totally ill prepared he was to play near the end of his first season.

What all was involved in that is anyone's guess and I'm certainly not trying to venture a guess either. I'm simply saying his issues and the teams perception of those issues are certainly not known to any of us and every possibility is certainly still on the table.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
A
Legend
Legend
A
Yeah.

So, if it's normal for someone to miss a year, year and a half of their life (heck, even 6 months) due to re-hab.........no wonder more common folk don't do it, right?

Oh, wait - common working people do it all the time. See, common people don't have the finances to spend a year, or even 6 months in rehab.

What was Manziel into that he may miss the upcoming season?

P
Legend
Legend
P
We don't know. I believe if you read my post above you'll see that I explained that. It could be as simple as the issues were far more troubling than the team realized and they have made the decision to write Manziel off for the season. It could be that the issue has something to do with his mental state. I certainly don't know and neither do the rest of us.

Soon it will be Manziels 7th week in rehab. That's not entirely common. It would indicate that whatever the issues are, they are certainly serious.

I believe the team would have to believe that he will beat this, be able to mentally work and prepare properly, physically be prepared and learn the system in order to plan with moving forward with him as the starter. I can see why that simply may not happen.

It could happen, but I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't.

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C
What was Manziel into that he may miss the upcoming season?

Says who?

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG

There are a couple of trains of thought here. While it's rumored that it involves alcohol, we really don't know. Could it be something worse or far more troublesome? Possibly. Does it involve his mental health? Possibly.

Could it involve multiple drug test failures we are currently unaware of? Possibly. Could the team, after finding out more details of his issues simply have written him off for this season? Possibly. I mean we all saw a glimpse of just how totally ill prepared he was to play near the end of his first season.

What all was involved in that is anyone's guess and I'm certainly not trying to venture a guess either. I'm simply saying his issues and the teams perception of those issues are certainly not known to any of us and every possibility is certainly still on the table.

Did you ever notice that if people "in the know" Won't comment that the media will make a bold statment in the hopes that someone will comment.

this smacks of that

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
P
Legend
Legend
P
I would say anything is a possibility right now. I'm certainly not taking what Rizzo said as fact, that's for sure. I'm just looking at possible scenarios here.

I don't believe that him coming back as our starter this season as anything written in stone at this point though.

#gmstrong
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
to pit as well.

I think this is a special situation. The minute this kid is out he's going to have reporters in his face all day.

If it was one of us, we get out and go back to work, and work on getting better.

For all we know its more serious than we think. Maybe the bill in the bath-room had more to it. Between that and drinking he's got some work to do.

And i i didn't see the info, but is it saying he won't play, or won't be there. I still think Pettine makes him earn it. I have no problem with a qb sitting and learning. We need to break the cycle that has plagued us for years.

Attitude is everything....FEAR THE ELF!!!
V
Legend
Legend
V
I agree w/Pit in that while we may not trust the source, will ANY of you really be surprised if JM doesn't play this year?

R
Legend
Legend
R
I agree. It's not like it's far fetched.

As a matter of fact, you could probably make an argument that it is expected.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Tony Grossi Upset w/ Browns in FA

Link Copied to Clipboard