Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Tashaun Gipson might be next great AFC North safety, assuming Browns are in his long-term plans: Tom Reed

Tom Reed, Northeast Ohio Media Group
Print Email Tom Reed, Northeast Ohio Media Group By Tom Reed, Northeast Ohio Media Group
Follow on Twitter
on April 13, 2015 at 7:27 PM, updated April 13, 2015 at 7:29 PM

Link Tashaun Gipson might be next great AFC North safety, assuming Browns are in his long-term plans: Tom Reed

BEREA, Ohio - Retiring Steelers' stalwart Troy Polamalu is about to pass a torch.

Blessed with good hands and great instincts, Browns Pro Bowler Tashaun Gipson's is well positioned to pick it off and search for blockers.

For the first time since 2002, the AFC North will feature neither Polamalu nor Ed Reed, two of the game's great safeties and opponents who terrorized Cleveland quarterbacks for so many seasons. It could be pay-back time for the Browns - assuming they can get Gipson's signature on a long-term contract.

The 24-year-old is poised to become the next dominant ball-hawking safety in the division and one of the league's best. Coupled with Donte Whitner, a three-time Pro Bowler and 10-year veteran, the Browns have a formidable last line of defense. Their secondary, anchored by Pro Bowl corner Joe Haden, 25, is entering its prime at a time when pass defense has never been more important.

The club led the NFL last season in opposition quarterback rating (74.1) and pass breakups (99), while finishing second in interceptions (21). Given the assets allocated to the secondary and the importance coach Mike Pettine places on defensive backs, maybe it shouldn't be surprising.

But the unit's long-term success might hinge on ensuring Gipson remains a part of it. The Browns placed a second-round tender ($2.356 million) on the Wyoming product for this season with hopes of locking him up before entering the final year of his rookie deal.

Pettine offered no updates on a possible contract extension last month at the annual NFL Meeting.

"We're well aware of his situation and he's a player that played very well for us, (who's) young, very talented," the coach said. "I don't want to get into specific players' negotiations and end up negotiating through the media."

The Browns didn't sign Haden to his five-year, $67.5 million extension until after the 2014 NFL Draft and there's been no evidence to date a deal won't get done.

Gipson certainly has said the right things publicly.

"I'd love to finish my career playing in this city," he told NEOMG on Oct. 31. "This is the first organization to give me my opportunity, the first one that took a chance on me, an unheralded guy coming out of Wyoming that nobody wanted to take a chance on. God blessed me to come here so I definitely want to finish my career here, play here in the city of Cleveland."

Haden has evolved into a team leader, one who offered to work out with troubled corner Justin Gilbert in offseason. Gipson possesses similar traits, serving as a terrific example to other undrafted free agents on the Browns.

He learned at the padded knee of T.J. Ward during his first two seasons and did the same last year while teaming with Whitner. Gipson is a high-character player whose career continues to ascend. His six interceptions ranked second in the league last season despite missing the final five games with a knee injury.

The Browns were 7-4 with Gipson in the lineup and 0-5 without him. Granted, the slide was due more to offensive ineptitude, but the fact his peers league-wide voted such a young player to the Pro Bowl is a testament to the respect No. 39 is gaining.

"I know we voted for him, our receiver group," Ravens receiver Steve Smith. "He's making plays and doing an excellent job. Injuries happen, but it's really what you do while you're in there."

Gipson has nine interceptions in his last 14 games. His 11 INTs since the start of 2013 rank him second behind only Seahawks' Richard Sherman. It doesn't put him in a class with Reed and Polamalu, who played pivotal roles on Super-Bowl winning teams, but it places him on an impressive career arc. He not only picks passes, but pops opponents, delivering several memorable hits in the 2013 season.

Obviously, the Browns won't win consistently until they develop a good quarterback. In the meantime, their secondary gives them a chance against the likes of Ben Roethlisberger, Joe Flacco and Andy Dalton. Division rivals completed just 54.4 percent of their passes last season for five touchdowns against seven INTs. Those numbers could improve if Gilbert figures it out in his second season and free-agent Tramon Williams, 32, still has some tread left in his game.

The Browns and other divisional teams are relieved to wave goodbye to Polamalu, who made big plays in so many ways over 12 seasons. Gipson has the potential to be the AFC North's next great safety.

Getting his name on a Browns' contact is the first step.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
great article thanks for sharing!

I hope everyone else keeps sharing these. it makes a big difference to read lots of these opinion articles and just info that is out there.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
some surprising stats in that article. I am wowed by what I see from gipson and I was really ticked we didnt put atleast the first round tender on him. I believe the kid has the potential to be the best safety in the game and that isnt fandom but it is his reaction to what he sees infront of him. He doesnt have Reed's return ability but he has that same type of ability to read the play.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
I remember when he was the butt of many jokes.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Yes, I remember his rookie year too.

Legend
Legend
Browns' significant free agents of 2016:

Phil Taylor
Craig Robertson
Tashaun Gipson
Billy Winn
Mitchell Schwartz
Alex Mack

At least four of these guys are going to be sacrificed to the Ozzie Newsome altar of compensatory picks, and I'm not sure Mack's player option/voiding will count.

E
Legend
Legend
E
I was really ticked we didnt put atleast the first round tender on him.

Why, its not like he's getting offers thrown at him now as it is. There is nothing anyone can throw at us that we couldn't match. The date is arriving soon where we can sign him - right now we have to wait and see if he signs another teams offer. I forget the date where we can negotiate and sign tenders.

jmho - The first round tender might have been too tempting to just sign the Tender price and wait a year - forcing us to use the Franchise or Transition Tag on him.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
I hope every single one of those guys are extended. Which could also be a reason why we were not big spenders in FA.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: clevesteve

Phil Taylor
Craig Robertson
Tashaun Gipson
Billy Winn
Mitchell Schwartz
Alex Mack

At least four of these guys are going to be sacrificed to the Ozzie Newsome altar of compensatory picks, and I'm not sure Mack's player option/voiding will count.

I think Gipson will get done at some point this off-season.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: eotab
I was really ticked we didnt put atleast the first round tender on him.

Why, its not like he's getting offers thrown at him now as it is. There is nothing anyone can throw at us that we couldn't match. The date is arriving soon where we can sign him - right now we have to wait and see if he signs another teams offer. I forget the date where we can negotiate and sign tenders.

jmho - The first round tender might have been too tempting to just sign the Tender price and wait a year - forcing us to use the Franchise or Transition Tag on him.

Nobody got a first round tender, let alone a free safety. IMO the 2nd round tender meant the Browns were meaning business with Gipson. Rather have just seen a contract extension, but I believe the Browns are judging his market value going the route they did/are.

JMO

Legend
Legend
Did Schwartz get any offers? Or is it too early to know?

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: Bard Dawg

he isnt a FA lol.

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: Bard Dawg

Bard the list by Clevesteve is for 2016 scheduled FA...that is if we don't sign them now. More than probable we will sign Gipson and Robertson who we have rights to but their contracts expired.

The odd one is Mack...he could stay with the contract that pays him well the next 3 seasons...go FA and sign with us (I think) or of course leave us. As in his option.

Schwartz actually is why I hope we get a Collins in the draft to play RT. I would Trade Schwartz immediately cause he isn't bad at all to some teams that are desperate for a good OL OT but won't get one with their next pick. Usually there are runs boom boom boom...cupboard is bare.

I don't think he will sign with us next year, of course I could be wrong I don't know him personally.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
I sure hope so!

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

Phil Taylor
Craig Robertson
Tashaun Gipson
Billy Winn
Mitchell Schwartz
Alex Mack

I also think that they will try to get something done with Robertson. He looked really good last year when he filled in for Dansby when he was hurt. Schwartz is probably 60/40 at this point, but this season will tell a lot there. Winn isn't anything special, even though some fans went nuts over him when he was drafted. Taylor really hasn't done much either. I think that Mack could go either way. He is darn good, but he will also be 30 this season. I know that OL don't tend to age as some other position do, but it still has to be a consideration if Mack wants a huge deal with heavy duty guarantees.

For those who asked, Mack should qualify for compensatory picks if he opts out of his deal, because he can opt out of his contract and become a free agent.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan

For those who asked, Mack should qualify for compensatory picks if he opts out of his deal, because he can opt out of his contract and become a free agent.

Cheers thumbsup

I became curious when someone else asked.

PS, I too think they'll push for Robertson. Filled in nicely at ILB, good special teamer and... using Jim oniel's words, he's the "spark plug" of the team and everyone loves him.

B
Legend
Legend
B

Phil Taylor
Craig Robertson
Tashaun Gipson
Billy Winn
Mitchell Schwartz
Alex Mack

I think we are now in the new season.....so do you mean here in the next month or two or sometime after the games are played this season and FA begins?

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
Legend
V
I really like Gipson as a player. Every coach he has played for in the pros has absolutely loved this guy. He is a very smart guy who is in the right position most of the time. He has very good hands and is a threat while running w/the ball. His teammates love him and you can tell he is well respected. Great move by Heckert in finding this guy.

I hope he doesn't want out after all the recent turmoil. I think signing him is our number one priority.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
I really like Gipson as a player. Every coach he has played for in the pros has absolutely loved this guy. He is a very smart guy who is in the right position most of the time. He has very good hands and is a threat while running w/the ball. His teammates love him and you can tell he is well respected. Great move by Heckert in finding this guy.

I hope he doesn't want out after all the recent turmoil. I think signing him is our number one priority.

If he's not number one, then he has to be 1a. He was definitely an excellent find for Heckert, and has become one of our best players in the secondary. It is amazing how the ball finds him so often. I agree that he is going to be a the top Safety in the AFCN as soon as this coming year .... and that we need to wrap him up long term.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:
Tashaun Gipson might be next great AFC North safety

What about Shamarko Thomas?

Legend
Legend
brownie

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Post of the day!

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
F
Legend
Legend
F
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan

If he's not number one, then he has to be 1a. He was definitely an excellent find for Heckert, and has become one of our best players in the secondary. It is amazing how the ball finds him so often. I agree that he is going to be a the top Safety in the AFCN as soon as this coming year .... and that we need to wrap him up long term.

And if we have 2 good cover corners, ball hawking becomes even easier for the safety.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: CapCity Dawg
Quote:

Post of the day!

What's a Shamarko Thomas?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: SuperBrown
Originally Posted By: CapCity Dawg
Quote:

Post of the day!

What's a Shamarko Thomas?

A male shark with a lisp? (It's a slow afternoon, guys).

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
P
Legend
Legend
P

Well it will be..... unless of course we don't. You know, like Skrine?
Then suddenly he can be easily replaced, wasn't worth that much and some aging veteran can easily take his place.

You know that's how it works.

naughtydevil

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG

Well it will be..... unless of course we don't. You know, like Skrine?
Then suddenly he can be easily replaced, wasn't worth that much and some aging veteran can easily take his place.

You know that's how it works.

naughtydevil

yea. thats about it.

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
V
Legend
Legend
V
Interesting. Perhaps that is why this thread is not getting more attention? Maybe some posters know that it might be a possibility that the FO is stupid enough to let Gipson walk and they don't want to admit he is a good player and must-sign.

That might speak louder than almost anything....

P
Legend
Legend
P
Interesting. Perhaps that is why this thread is not getting more attention? Maybe some posters know that it might be a possibility that the FO is stupid enough to let Gipson walk and they don't want to admit he is a good player and must-sign.

That might speak louder than almost anything....

In an earlier thread regarding our FA's, both Skrine and Gipson were high on the list of players considered "must signs" by a LOT of posters, including myself.

But when the wind of change hits, it blows hard. lol

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C
Where have people said that we don't need to re-sign Gipson?

V
Legend
Legend
V
You lack reading comprehension. He is saying.........that NOT many people are saying we NEED to keep Gipson. There is a difference. Can you grasp that?

P
Legend
Legend
P
Sorry, I was using the Skrine departure as an example. I'm just 100% sure that if we end up losing Gipson, we'll hear the same spin we did when we lost Skrine.
Excuses and rationalizations.

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C
Got it, thanks for the clarification. Many people just choose to look at the bright side of things. Which is fine.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Got it, thanks for the clarification. Many people just choose to look at the bright side of things. Which is fine.

I don't really have a problem with people looking at the bright side of things as long as there's some consistency. But when one month you say a FA is a must sign, then the next month change directions like the wind, it looks rather disingenuous.

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C
People's opinions change depending on situation. That is the way the world works. Some people look at the positive, some people look at the negative, some people wait to see results before they evaluate, some people jump to conclusions, etc.

It's hard to get bent out of shape (for me) if people choose to see the team they love in a positive light.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
Sorry, I was using the Skrine departure as an example. I'm just 100% sure that if we end up losing Gipson, we'll hear the same spin we did when we lost Skrine.
Excuses and rationalizations.

I think I mentioned this in another post that I wanted us to re-sign Skrine. I wasn't overly vocal about it nor was I vocal that we didn't. I was disappointed but not to the point that I felt like I needed to talk about it.

To those who wanted to retain Skrine and expressed a reaction to not signing Skrine, what were there options for expressing their opinion:

1. Get angry?
2. Slam the FO?
3. Be disappointed?
4. Try to understand the thought process?
5. Show apathy?

Even for those who wanted to re-sign Skrine, can't any of these responses be reasonable? Is the only reasonable response to get angry? Or slam the FO?

I just don't know where you guys are going with this. It's bad enough that we have a poster who makes things up out of thin air, but why do you join in with that nonsense?

P
Legend
Legend
P
I don't really get bent out of shape about it. What I do is look for some consistency in terms of credibility. When someone does a complete 180 on their opinion based solely on a move made by the FO, it's simply hard for me to take there opinion credible moving forward.

I mean this is just a message board so it's hard for me to really get worked up about anything that's posted. However, after posting on Dawgtalk in one form or another since 1999, there are some posters I take seriously and value their input. There are even some of the newer posters who came over from the other board that I like to read.

But when a poster just does a complete 180 in their opinion based on the actions of the FO, it seems to take a little credibility away for me. That's just the way I see it and my opinion. There are even posters I often disagree with who I have respect for their opinions.

But as was stated, it's just a message board and we all see things differently.

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C
Can't an opinion change based on the outcome of a situation?

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
To those who wanted to retain Skrine and expressed a reaction to not signing Skrine, what were there options for expressing their opinion:

1. Get angry?
2. Slam the FO?
3. Be disappointed?
4. Try to understand the thought process?
5. Show apathy?

Even for those who wanted to re-sign Skrine, can't any of these responses be reasonable? Is the only reasonable response to get angry? Or slam the FO?

I just don't know where you guys are going with this. It's bad enough that we have a poster who makes things up out of thin air, but why do you join in with that nonsense?

You seem like you are indicating some all or nothing mentality when you disagree with the FO? You either had sound reasoning why you wished to retain Skrine or you didn't. Do you feel any FO in the NFL bats 1000? Do you feel anyone who disagrees with certain moves or actions the FO makes has to be angry or is slamming them?

That's the biggest problem I see here. I have agreed with some moves and disagreed with some. But I do have sound reasoning for my opinions. And yes, they are no more than that, opinions. But I feel it's funny for some to even suggest that when someone stands steady in their opinion and it goes against a move the FO has made, suddenly you're either angry or you're a hater. That thought process is hilarious!

I'm not a follower. I neither hate nor love this FO. They are early in the process with little experience, so there will be bumps in the road. The jury is far from out. Does that sound like a hater to you? They will make moves I support and they will make moves that I do not support. That's simply the nature of the beast. Unless someone decides they will change their opinions and beliefs by any move this FO makes. I'm not one of those people.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Sure they can. But people seem to point out why everything goes one way. Few wished or even hinted at mentioning other factors such as....

Example; Well Skrine signed for too much money.

Fact; The NFL salary cap goes up every year. The new rookie cap was solely intended so veteran players going into their second contract would get a bigger slice of the pie. CB is and has been increasing in costs. All signings have gone up every year.

Example; Skrine is an inside CB

Fact; He was absolutely the best outside CB we had besides Haden and played that position for us. As it stands, we have no long term proven CB to take his place.

Fact; Pettine depends heavily on the secondary in his scheme. Unless someone steps up to the plate big time or the aging veteran plays very will, there's a good chance that the secondary takes a step back this year.

Now those were the reasons I thought it was a bad move. Nothing really changes there. Skrine improved every year and there was no reason to feel that would change.

The only thing I saw that changed was Skrine was not re-signed, an aging veteran who I believe has lost a step was signed to replace him as a band aid and the second best CB we had on our team is now gone.

Now it's fine if people see that differently, but surely you're not suggesting that the bulk of the posters who wanted to see Skrine re-signed suddenly were convinced losing him was a good thing bases on that outcome?

#gmstrong
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Tashaun Gipson might be next great AFC North safety

Link Copied to Clipboard