Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Quote:
Browns @Gipson_duos24 "From pits of my soul I truly believe Cle can & will change this thing around. Maybe in my 10th year, maybe next year

https://twitter.com/MRidenourABJ/status/684054733619789824

Quote:
More @Gipson_duos24 "I truly love the city and I want to be a part of it when we go from worst to first" #Browns

https://twitter.com/MRidenourABJ/status/684055487763976193

Quote:
More #Browns @Gipson_duos24 "If you look at the KC Chiefs 2 or 3 yrs ago they were one of the worst teams in football. We even beat 'em"

https://twitter.com/MRidenourABJ/status/684056117266124800

Glad we didn't give Gipson that large contract he was holding out for. Let's be real, he had that Int that he immediately lost and hasn't really done squat outside of that.

I'm sorry, I'm a big fan of him as a roaming free safety - but we got better play outta Poyer IMO this year at FS.

Legend
Legend
every last player in our secondary was a HUGE letdown this season.
There were precisely Zero bright spots there.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: Dawg_LB
Glad we didn't give Gipson that large contract he was holding out for. Let's be real, he had that Int that he immediately lost and hasn't really done squat outside of that.

I'm sorry, I'm a big fan of him as a roaming free safety - but we got better play outta Poyer IMO this year at FS.

I know it's totally impossible for some to wrap their heads around but have you considered he's been playing injured all season? But let's not let that get in the way of the opportunity to hate on yet another player.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: ddubia
Originally Posted By: Dawg_LB

I know it's totally impossible for some to wrap their heads around but have you considered he's been playing injured all season? But let's not let that get in the way of the opportunity to hate on yet another player.

For the record, I want Gipson to be re-signed but I agree with Dawg_LB here about being ok w/ not giving in the a contract extension w/ Gipson. Where I disagree with him is saying Poyer is a better option. I think Gipson was overvalued at the end of 2014 and the FO made the right decision not to extend him a contract that was probably larger than he was worth. I thought the reasoning was sound-- coupling small sample size of performance and unknown injury response.

And yes, it is very conceivable that he was playing injured this year, which is even more of a reason to be wary of a significant contract extension. The guy has dealt with injuries since being with Cleveland, and if he wasn't able to fully recover over the course of this season, that should definitely play a factor is determining his pay. And whether here or elsewhere, I doubt he ends up getting the value he thought he was worth at the close of 2014.

I hope we re-sign Schwartz, Benjamin, and Gipson. I doubt we'll be this lucky.

Tackles are tackles.
V
Legend
Legend
V
We might be able to keep Gipson now that Farmer is gone.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
We might be able to keep Gipson now that Farmer is gone.

Sashi Browns was our top negotiator and cap guy last year. He likely had a lot to do with the tender Gipson received.

Gipson mentioned talking to Brown about his contract at some point last year.

I think that the whole new setup makes it less likely that Gipson stays, unless he takes a really cheap deal. That's how I see it anyway.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
C
Legend
Legend
C
Just to clarify, "Moneyball" doesn't mean cheap.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Just to clarify, "Moneyball" doesn't mean cheap.

No, but obviously he offered Gipson a deal way below what he felt his value was. That was what I meant by "cheap".

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

Legend
Legend
All that means is that we feel we can get someone else for around that money to do what Gipson does.... at least, in the scheme that we had.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
I've got a weird feeling we might see MASSIVE turnover on the roster with this analytics guy. I'd be perfectly fine with it too.

E
Legend
Legend
E
It might come down to picking the FS position and not deeming its worth for some high figure???

Who knows, It also could come down to the fact thart FS is one of few strengths of personnel for a team not laden with many...so we will work it to keep him???

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
All that means is that we feel we can get someone else for around that money to do what Gipson does.... at least, in the scheme that we had.

My reply was in response to the idea that we would more likely be able to keep Gipson now that farmer is gone.

It sure appears that Sashi Brown was the guy doing the negotiating, and making the decisions on player contract value.

R
Legend
Legend
R
jc...

Tashaun Gipson is a good football player. He's home grown. The Browns need to retain good, home grown football players. Even those that have a bad year. It happens.

I was listening to RBS this morning and they play this game called "stay or go". They go down the entire roster and everyone says stay or go. Rizzo, Casey Koulis (whatever his name is), Matt Fontana were like "go" on almost every player. You could literally hear Cherry shaking his head over the airwaves at the stupidity he was surrounded with.

To make a complete football team, you need a lot of guys that perform at various levels and work well together. You need good football players. Not every single position is going to be an All Pro. And not everyone is going to perform at the same level every year. You need good football players that perform well together.

Gipson and Schwartz are perfect examples of this. We need to keep players like this.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
I think Gipson was overvalued at the end of 2014 and the FO made the right decision not to extend him a contract that was probably larger than he was worth. I thought the reasoning was sound-- coupling small sample size of performance and unknown injury response.

I don't wish to argue because I agree with a lot of what you said. I will however address the "small sample size" and "unknown injury response" comments.

"Gipson was striking fear into the hearts of opposing quarterbacks and coaches with his ballhawking skills. In addition to his league-leading half-dozen, his 11 since 2013 are the most in the NFL. He has nine in his past 13 games.
Cleveland.com

Eleven INTs in 13 games spread across two seasons is not a small sample size to me. That's 5 INTs in 2013 and 6 in 2014, and he missed the last 5 games in 2014. That's pretty solid if you ask me.

To address the "injury response" comment I'll confess that is something I thought of in the off season as well. I was concerned that since he tore his MCL and had PCL damage that it might take him some time to get back to his "old self", and it seems to have played out that way. So I could see being tentative in signing him to a big contract going into 2015.

I thought he started out slow as do many with knee injuries. Some players don't regain full confidence until their second year after the injury. Now, Gipson didn't tear his ACL, the worst of them, but everyone heals at different rates and each individual gains his confidence at different rates as well.

It seemed Gipson gained his confidence back shortly after the season started and then almost immediately hurt his ankle, which is what screwed him this season.

Maybe it's just me but I don't consider him injury prone. His knee injury was caused by a collision with Joe Haden in a coverage situation. The ankle, was just an ankle. Stuff happens to everybody.

Anyway, in the story I'm making up, that is my defense for Gipson. I understand the reluctance of not signing him in the off season. I don't understand any reluctance in not signing him now.

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
I was listening to RBS this morning and they play this game called "stay or go". They go down the entire roster and everyone says stay or go. Rizzo, Casey Koulis (whatever his name is), Matt Fontana were like "go" on almost every player. You could literally hear Cherry shaking his head over the airwaves at the stupidity he was surrounded with.

That's the kind of stupid things they do to keep people like you tuning in. They create a stupid game which, in turn, creates stupid controversy which, in turn, creates interest from the audience who tune-in for just that sort of thing.

#gmstrong
R
Legend
Legend
R
Yes, it's stupid things like that game that keep me and other stupid people tuning in. It was awesome.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I didn't say you were stupid. I said that "stay or go" game portion of that show is stupid, evidenced by all the "go's" and your belief of Cherry shaking his head.

Of course it's a train wreck. I can't blame you, or even me for that matter, to stop and watch the train wreck. i've done it many times. But I learned long ago to stay away from them as they ceased to entertain me, especially when the Browns are concerned.

If you find it awesome, awesome.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
Dang..........thanks for adding to my misery.

Just kidding......kinda.

I agree w/Rish on while neither Gipson or Schwartz are world beaters, they are guys that are good enough to help you win. Those are the types of players you keep, rather than letting them walk and bringing in older, just as expensive players like Farmer did.

Legend
Legend
like letting go of Ward and replacing him with whitner?

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Tashaun Gipson might be next great AFC North safety

Link Copied to Clipboard