Print Thread
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: ddubia
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
I could be dead wrong, except for the part that we would not be even considering a qb this year had we drafted TB.

I don't think we should be considering one now.

“The sample size on Manziel was not very big and, on the surface, not very encouraging,” Pettine said.

not sure pettine agrees with you.

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I don't think Pet is saying what you think he is saying.

#gmstrong
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
I don't think Pet is saying what you think he is saying.

funny. all he asked for is a starting QB this offseason and farmer brought him who?

Last edited by pblack18707; 04/24/15 07:54 PM.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
What?!

#gmstrong
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
What?!

INDIANAPOLIS -- Browns coach Mike Pettine is proud of Johnny Manziel for raising his hand, but it won't stop him from looking for a new arm.

Pettine, who visited Manziel in rehab last week, admitted Wednesday at the NFL combine that the Browns are heading into free agency and the draft looking for a starting quarterback.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2015/02/with_johnny_manziel_in_rehab_m.html

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: pblack18707
What?!

INDIANAPOLIS -- Browns coach Mike Pettine is proud of Johnny Manziel for raising his hand, but it won't stop him from looking for a new arm.

Pettine, who visited Manziel in rehab last week, admitted Wednesday at the NFL combine that the Browns are heading into free agency and the draft looking for a starting quarterback.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2015/02/with_johnny_manziel_in_rehab_m.html

That statement, taken somewhat out of context (if you read the entire article), was made 2 weeks before McCown was signed.

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: bbrowns32
What?!

That statement, taken somewhat out of context (if you read the entire article), was made 2 weeks before McCown was signed.

And the statement was the actually the truth.

We had Hoyer not in contract who rejected the offer that was made to him at the time. If all remember the statement that he would like to sign here if he gets a shot at starting but would like to see his worth out on the FA market.

We had our #1 prospect in Rehab and at that time nobody knew how long will he be ok will he be able to play this season? Lets just say not a solid option at the time.
And we had Shaw & Thigpen neither an NFL QB to be considered in the mix to start.

So what Pettine said was just the truth. In those circumstances I understand why we couldn't just wait for Hoyer to make up his mind. Out of all the QBs that were coming up in FA how did we go wrong.

At the time of McCowns release - all the experts were stating he was the best FA QB out there...Until we signed him...lol laugh I like the way that works. Even on this board there was discussion on him like all players made available. At least most stayed true to their thoughts.

OK I'll try to make this simple and short...Can I do that - I'll try.
Let me use Left Tackle as an example cause the variables involved are pretty limited. Its an important position cause the "SKILL SET" to play left tackle is possessed by only a few. Point Blank that is why that position is considered important. If there were 5-6 coming into the draft every year with the skill sets it wouldn't be a big deal.

Well multiply those skill sets by 10...that is the QB position.
Now at left tackle there are plenty of guys who can PLAY that position just not that well but hey Every team has to put one out there. You know like many teams in the NFL do.

Well all those FA QBs. Hoyer, McCown, Sanchez, whoever they were. Are like the guys who can play LT just not that well.

We spend way too much time on which going nowhere 2nd tier QB is the best.

I understand our reasoning.
1. Get him quick so it doesn't grow to a dilemma.
2. Hey this FA 2nd tier QB combined with the one we lost will net us a draft pick...an added bonus.
3. This QB is experienced in the offense we were looking to run (in philosophy of scheme).
4. This QB would want to start but would welcome the roll of mentor regardless - he knows he is not the future of this franchise.
So much for short and sweet oh well it was a thought.
But it makes sense. We had to get that QB who could start.

But we didn't stop there. I don't know how strong these "RUMORS" are but I'm sure we discussed about getting Bradford and others possibly. Not because we lost all faith in Manziel. But heck who wouldn't take a shot at an elite skilled QB. Also Manziel was in the Rehab with no real schedule.

Now we have Manziel - hopefully working hard. Staying after practice learning. I think the NFL format is pretty Stupid. No play book - what a bunch of Crap is that as it benefits teams who don't have NEW PLAYBOOKS??? but that's just me.

And who knows what will happen Thurs. My Goodness there have been no fewer than 20 scenarios that WILL HAPPEN we Heard reports....lol laugh more than half involving the Browns.

I'll stop here saywhat

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
Quote:
Daman...not knowing what the percentages were, I decided to do a search for "what percentage of rehab patients relapse?"

I think you are talking apples and oranges here Mac..

I'm pretty sure that when Mortenson said that, he wasn't thinking about relapse at all. I believe he was saying the Browns are 90% done with him.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
V
Legend
Legend
V
How is it apples and oranges? Wouldn't Manziel's problems and chance of future issues be one of the main reasons why the Browns would perhaps move on from him?

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
What?!

i watched McCown games from last year. weeden made better decisions with the ball by far. if you want to pretend this guy is a starting nfl QB well.....

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
What?!

i watched McCown games from last year. weeden made better decisions with the ball by far. if you want to pretend this guy is a starting nfl QB well.....

McCown was signed as a "caretaker", a bridge QB (or a backup as the case may dictate) who can start until the long term QB position is resolved. Well...

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
What?!

McCown was signed as a "caretaker", a bridge QB (or a backup as the case may dictate) who can start until the long term QB position is resolved. Well...

watch his game last year. he is neither a bridge qB, or a backup who can start until the long term QB position is resolved. and after watching his absurd decisions under center i dont like the idea of him mentoring any QB on our team. well.....

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
What?!

watch his game last year. he is neither a bridge qB, or a backup who can start until the long term QB position is resolved. and after watching his absurd decisions under center i dont like the idea of him mentoring any QB on our team. well.....

Doesn't matter what you (or I) think, it is what it is. Well...

S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S

So 15 more years of mccown...

It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it great!
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: Squires

So 15+ more years of mccown...

Fixed it lol

E
Legend
Legend
E
Question PBlack...I've heard it stated more than once by the Browns that we were going to utilize a similar system to the one McCown had in Chicago 2013.

If that is true why don't you ever talk about those games and what he did. In 5 games:
66.5%, 13 TD, 1 INT, Yard per Attempt 8.2, Yard per Catch 12.3, QB rating 109, QBR 85.09

Its not long ago 2013? Do I really think he will throw 42 TDs and 3 INTs....no But it is possible to expect something in the middle of 2013 n 2014...I know all of those who wish to claim how inept he is brings up the 2014 record...but well fair game I will from hence forth bring up his 2013 play/stats.

HOW BOUT THIS...if we had McCown playing in our last 5 games and throwing how he did in 2013 13 TD and 1 INT the way our D was playing.... 12-4 Last year....if you wish to reflect on 1-10 as all he has...well sorry we would have been 12-4 if we traded for him mid season last year.

How's them Apples...in my best Matt Damon imitation lol laugh

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

F
Legend
Legend
F
Let's not even throw in that TB's offensive line did him no favors. They weren't the sole reason for his poor play, but they didn't make it any easier.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: eotab
Question PBlack...I've heard it stated more than once by the Browns that we were going to utilize a similar system to the one McCown had in Chicago 2013.

If that is true why don't you ever talk about those games and what he did. In 5 games:
66.5%, 13 TD, 1 INT, Yard per Attempt 8.2, Yard per Catch 12.3, QB rating 109, QBR 85.09

Its not long ago 2013? Do I really think he will throw 42 TDs and 3 INTs....no But it is possible to expect something in the middle of 2013 n 2014...I know all of those who wish to claim how inept he is brings up the 2014 record...but well fair game I will from hence forth bring up his 2013 play/stats.

HOW BOUT THIS...if we had McCown playing in our last 5 games and throwing how he did in 2013 13 TD and 1 INT the way our D was playing.... 12-4 Last year....if you wish to reflect on 1-10 as all he has...well sorry we would have been 12-4 if we traded for him mid season last year.

Sorry, this post is invalid.

You're only allowed to look at things negatively.

Any remotely positive thoughts are considered either "spin" or the obvious "favoring of a regime"

Obviously, you have some sort of agenda.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Quote:
.I've heard it stated more than once by the Browns that we were going to utilize a similar system to the one McCown had in Chicago 2013.

is farmer going to change his play calling? rofl rofl

Quote:

i did. one of the biggest reasons he did well was named Matt Forte.

Quote:

ever hear of someone called Jake Delhomme? any good he did in 2013 was washed out of my mind by what he did the rest of his 12 years in the nfl

Quote:
HOW BOUT THIS...if we had McCown playing in our last 5 games and throwing how he did in 2013

you can dream if you want but 5 games in 12 years? pfft absurd.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I believe they will stick with what they have at QB and draft defense to stop the run and also Oline for the first couple rounds.

Legend
Legend
Quote:
Quote:

Not for nuthin.. but in the 5 games McCown started, Forte rushed for 88, 95, 55, 67, and 91 yards.. he had 4 TDs (3 of them in the last game)... It's not like he was setting the world on fire.

yebat' Putin
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN
Quote:
Quote:

Not for nuthin.. but in the 5 games McCown started, Forte rushed for 88, 95, 55, 67, and 91 yards.. he had 4 TDs (3 of them in the last game)... It's not like he was setting the world on fire.

just wondering where you get your info?

oh ok. i see what you did. oops dont feel bad. see McCown didnt start until week 9 the green bay game. you used stats that they were not on the field at the same time.

Last edited by pblack18707; 04/27/15 05:26 PM.

Legend
Legend
My bad. Read the wrong column...

Ok, so it should read,

Week 8, 125
Week 10, 83
Week 11, 77
Week 12, 120
Week 13, 102

yebat' Putin
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN
My bad. Read the wrong column...

Ok, so it should read,

Week 8, 125
Week 10, 83
Week 11, 77
Week 12, 120
Week 13, 102

yea. plus 26 catch in those 5 games. and Brandon Marshall was there for all those hold onto the ball until your being sacked and throw it up for grabs. and then we could talk about the 11 sacks he had in those games.

just go watch the games if you can. the first thing you will think is there o-line sucks lol

E
Legend
Legend
E
is farmer going to change his play calling?

Thats getting old quick...I actually think you are funny at times its actually below your quality of humor.

13 TDs 1 INT...yep must have been Matt Forte... rofl Look just so you know bringing up stuff like that - is true it will give the QB a better opportunity to succeed. But news Flash to the PB...you still have to execute and take advantage of the opportunities.

But lets take a look at your fair reasoning.
McCown played well because of others.

Yet last year the poor showing was not because of others but McCown? I don't get that.

Lets look at my theory...now he is not a great QB he cannot make something out of nothing. He got the opportunity in Chicago and came through.

Different Offense and on a team that well just wasn't talented and he didn't get the opportunities to succeed as he did in CGO...he is the fruit of whatever tree he is. Ergo what all these guys are that are the 2nd tier variety.

No way I am calling him great. But if I am to believe our coaches they have stated one of the positives of getting McCown is that we are going to run a "SIMILAR" Offense to that he ran in 2013...not 2014.

All I am saying is he is possibly a little - A lot more competent then you give him credit for.

We give him the opportunity and play better D than the Bears played we can win games if he is at the helm.

If we expect him to carry us in games...sorry we will lose a lot!

But that is the way of almost all these QBs. Hoyer did give me so much hope - he made come back wins and was clutch...I really wish he didn't disappear - but fact is he did. He's gone and we got McCown...our Future was/is/will be - NOT IN THESE 2nd tier QBs.

jmho

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
simple question. did you watch the 2013 games where he started? not that it matters much. this is 2 years later for a QB that is 35.

Last edited by pblack18707; 04/27/15 06:44 PM.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

I missed those articles. Would someone please link one or more of them so I could read it for myself?

Thanks.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: ThatGuy
Originally Posted By: eotab

Sorry, this post is invalid.

You're only allowed to look at things negatively.

Any remotely positive thoughts are considered either "spin" or the obvious "favoring of a regime"

Obviously, you have some sort of agenda.

I think it might very well be invalid. But not for the stupid reasons you just laid out there. I just did a search and the only thing I could find were articles like this:

Quote:
Josh McCown learning new offense, bonding with Johnny Manziel

That says............."new offense...." Not Chicago's offense.

I really don't like when people deceive others by telling untruths.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: FloridaFan
Let's not even throw in that TB's offensive line did him no favors. They weren't the sole reason for his poor play, but they didn't make it any easier.

What was McCown's excuse for the other 11.5 years he's been in the league?

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Since this Thread is about Manziel.... here is an article

NFL Trade Rumors: Draft Deal For Marcus Mariota By Eagles? Philly Considering Browns' Johnny Manziel?

By Anthony Riccobono @tony_riccobono a.riccobono@ibtimes.com on April 26 2015 12:27 PM EDT

The Philadelphia Eagles have been the most active team this offseason, and they could be on the verge of making even more headlines. After already having acquired both Sam Bradford and Tim Tebow, head coach Chip Kelly reportedly has his sights set on other quarterbacks.

There’s been speculation for a few months that Kelly wants to reunite with Oregon quarterback Marcus Mariota. Kelly has looked to dispel those rumors by stating that he won’t mortgage the team’s future in order to move up in the 2015 NFL Draft and take Mariota. But there continues to be reports that he’s trying to select the Heisman Trophy winner.

Philadelphia has the No.20 pick in the draft, and there’s a good chance Mariota will be taken at No.2 overall. According to WFAN’s Mike Francesa, Kelly has looked into moving up in the draft so the Eagles can take Mariota.

"I happened to be chatting with some folks in the NFL about the draft,” Francesa said on Thursday on WFAN. “This is from a pretty credible source. There is a route being paved by the Eagles to actually go after Mariota. I was not convinced there was, because of how much it would cost, but he has actually tried to create a lane, Chip Kelly, to get from 20 to the top of the draft. Not to one, but maybe two, or three, or four, depending on where he needed to get to, to get to Mariota.”

Mariota was the starting quarterback under Kelly during the coach’s final year with Oregon. Leading the team to a 12-1 record, the quarterback threw for 32 touchdowns and six interceptions. Some scouts question whether or not his game will translate well to the NFL, but playing for Kelly might give him his best chance to find success.

But Mariota might not be the only Heisman Trophy winner that the Eagles could acquire. Francesa said that a trade could also send Johnny Manziel to Philadelphia.

"The Cleveland Browns have the 12 and the 19 and they're interested in (Sam) Bradford. They're interested in Bradford. It would include Manziel going back to the Eagles and Bradford going to the Browns, the 12 and the 19 going to the (Eagles), the 20 going to the (Browns)... one spot doesn't make much difference, but that was the trade as explained to me... and Manziel's contract going to the Eagles.”

Cleveland used the No.22 overall pick to draft Manziel in 2014. He didn’t begin the season as the starter, but he replaced Brian Hoyer for two games. He failed to throw for 100 yards in either game, tossing two interceptions and no touchdowns.

Browns general manager Ray Farmer told Cleveland.com that the team didn’t try to deal Manziel to the Eagles.

http://www.ibtimes.com/nfl-trade-rumors-...-johnny-1897120

The Cleveland Browns - WE KNOW QUARTERBACKS ( Look at how many we've had ... )
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:
That says............."new offense...." Not Chicago's offense.

I really don't like when people deceive others by telling untruths.

He didn't run Chicago's offense last year, so technically it would be a new offense than last year. naughtydevil

You also have to take in consideration that anytime there is a new OC, a first timer, his offense will be called "new". I don't have a link, but I do remember it being said that our offense will be similar.

As for pblack's comment about Forte, I would point out that Hoyer did well when our running game was good, not so much after that. Plus we had two rookies put up 600 a piece, many might consider that decent. Now they will have a year in the league, they just might improve.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
McCown has worked with Flip in the past, and I suspect that is what people are thinking about.

I would also add that the Bucs OC last year had some sort of medical issue (that I am not going to look up) and their QB coach basically had to take over his duties on the fly. That could have had an impact on him as well.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
V
Legend
Legend
V
I'm sorry, but I have researched this topic and cannot find one article that states we are going to run Chicago's offense. If I am wrong, please correct me.

The trouble w/a comment like the one above is that then another poster jumped aboard and proceeded to belittle anyone who has a negative opinion of the FO, as if what the original poster said was indeed fact.........which it is not.

There is NO proof that we are going to run Chicago's offense. However, if you can show me where the Browns have stated that we are, I will certainly apologize for what I just said.

It seems to me that the statement was made--and later accepted by everyone but me---because it sounded good in defending the signing of McCown.

Legend
Legend
I remember hearing that we will run an offense similar to what we ran last year, and, as I posted, that Flip has worked with McCown in the past. I cannot recall anything that said, specifically, that we will run "the Chicago offense", and I see no reason why we would. We will run the offense that Flip wants to run. We may run something similar to the one run in Chicago,, but I cannot say for sure.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Thank you.

I am not trying to blast anyone about what was said, but I don't like when posters are mislead.

Again, I could be wrong......but I do not remember reading anything of the sort and when I did a quick search, I could not find one article that supported that claim.

Thus, we have to say that that argument was invalid. Thanks for being honest.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Some folks have their articles blending together. Josh was with Flip like 8 years ago in Oakland not in chicago. Josh was only there one year so his advantage isn't a super big hurdle.

#951297 04/28/15 08:51 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think it might be time to prepare for the zombie apocalypse. A non-Brown's paid employee put something positive about Johnny Manziel out.

Manziel Piece on NFL.com

It's nice to hear good things from Joe on the topic of Manziel. Hopefully it translates to the field.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
V
Legend
Legend
V
I really think our best chance of finding our future qb this year is w/Manziel. That's not saying much, but it is what it is.

Gotta hope he can shine.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
I really think our best chance of finding our future qb this year is w/Manziel. That's not saying much, but it is what it is.

Gotta hope he can shine.

Man I would hate laying down and taking yet another beating but more then likely this will be the case....

Now this really makes me want to throw the towel in. 2 days and will know....

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Joe Thomas: Manziel 'night and day from last year'

By Marc Sessler
Around the NFL Writer
Published: April 28, 2015 at 05:14 p.m.
Updated: April 28, 2015 at 09:45 p.m.

Joe Thomas sees a transformation in quarterback Johnny Manziel.

In an exclusive interview with NFL Media's Andrea Kremer, Cleveland's Pro Bowl left tackle heaped praise on Johnny after saying earlier this month that the Browns passer "lost probably a lot of trust" among teammates with the way he handled himself as a rookie.

"The way he is now is night and day from last year," Thomas said Tuesday. "He has a bright future ahead of him."

Thomas quipped that Manziel, recently released from treatment, now spends his Saturdays studying the playbook and watching film instead of riding "a swan in a swimming pool drinking champagne," saying: "It's apparent he's realized how important football is to him. He's realized you can't get away with those things anymore."

Said Thomas: "As one of the leaders, it'll be my job to talk to him sometimes, (but) he's already impressed a lot of people here now in the last couple of weeks."

Pro Bowl cornerback Joe Haden told Kremer that Manziel has been a workhorse around the facility, staying later to study the new offense.

"He has the it-factor. He has what you can't teach," said Haden, adding: "Actions speak louder than words. He's putting forth those actions. That's all he can do."

Link thumbsup

Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Johnny Manziel...the return...

Link Copied to Clipboard