Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
Legend
Legend
Quote:
Players who rode stationary bikes instead of practicing included: Erving, Nate Orchard, cornerback Tramon Williams, free safety Tashaun Gipson, defensive lineman Phil Taylor and receivers Marlon Moore and Josh Lenz.

Great, so we've got 1st, 2nd, and 4th rounders as well as two free agent signees injured in June.

E
Legend
Legend
E
As long as its in June it isn't a bad thing. wink

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: clevesteve
Quote:
Players who rode stationary bikes instead of practicing included: Erving, Nate Orchard, cornerback Tramon Williams, free safety Tashaun Gipson, defensive lineman Phil Taylor and receivers Marlon Moore and Josh Lenz.

Great, so we've got 1st, 2nd, and 4th rounders as well as two free agent signees injured in June.

Well at least at this point, the rookie injuries don't seem to be anything alarming.

What is alarming, at least to me, is seeing Taylor and Gipson still riding bikes. They're guys that ended the season injured and open camp injured. Not good.

Tackles are tackles.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: Brown to the Bone
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
Star means where he will start learning, not that he has a starting position locked up.

He will start out as a RG candidate, and then move around from there.

I'm not quite sure that will happen. I mean there's no doubt of his talent. But continuity is something not to be underrated. It would be hard to build continuity along the OL by having a rookie play musical chairs along the OL during training camp and pre-season.

Along those lines, it's been pretty well established that many players who man the tackle positions in the NCAA are simply not equipped to play that position in the NFL. Now I'm not saying that's the case with Erving but it's just as likely that he was drafted with the intentions of being an interior lineman and not the tackle position.

Now I'm not saying that Erving could not an the tackle position in an emergency case, but I do not believe it was the intent of this FO to have Erving playing at tackle for the Browns.

Good post I concur moving him around would be counter productive for the reason you stated. I wonder if they will?

That said though if he can't unseat Swartz who I think would be a good Guard I wonder if he was worth the pick. They do say though that the kid will be a pro bowl center maybe they want him to work close to Mack so he gets a good feel for how he goes about his business...

I think he is pegged to be interior line not a tackle... that seems to be his skill set... as a result I would not judge his worth based on his ability to unseat a Tackle.

Do you think Schwartz would be a better guard than Grecco?

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

If I was Taylor, in a contract year I would be getting my arse off that bike and on the field... especially with a 1st rounder waiting up behind me.

I hate to say it, because I was always in his corner, but last year of contract. limited cap hit... he may be prime trade bait in a get what you can scenario or even given his papers.

#gmstrong

R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
What is alarming, at least to me, is seeing Taylor and Gipson still riding bikes. They're guys that ended the season injured and open camp injured. Not good.

I'm concerned that Gipson did not have surgery. He was hurt bad enough to miss the rest of the season yet didn't have surgery. I don't get that one.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
limited cap hit... he may be prime trade bait in a get what you can scenario or even given his papers.

I wouldn't be surprised one bit if we are looking to trade PT because of the log jam we have at DL, however I'm guessing him riding the bikes is scaring teams away . I would be surprised if he's cut. His contract is fully guaranteed, IIRC ($5.5M).

Also, I personally think he's better suited for the NT in a 34 position but he played DE with this coaching staff and I don't think that will change. Drafting Shelton kind of confirms that IMO as I think Shelton will start Week One.

There's another player on the DL I think could be cut based on how TC/preseason goes.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Rishuz

I'm concerned that Gipson did not have surgery. He was hurt bad enough to miss the rest of the season yet didn't have surgery. I don't get that one.

IIRC, it was an MCL. As far as I know, those are usually not surgically repaired, as they respond well to non-surgical treatment. It can be a 3-6 week injury.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
J/C

I think the Erving is not a tackle argument is more conjecture than fact. He has good feet and long arms. He performed well at tackle at FSU, the interior of the line was just a mess. It's easier to be the leader of the line from the pivot position, and he really solidified that line. Pressure up the gut is much worse for QBs than that from the edge from my perspective. I think the NFL is just an adjustment for any rookie, and early on it's nice to have help on both sides. Schwartz is solid if not spectacular, and we don't need Erving to start there yet.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Legend
Legend
Yeah, I seem to recall hearing that he was a darn good LT too.

It's weird that Greco,(2008) Thomas,(2007) and Mack,(2009) despite being separated by years in the draft, will all be the same age (30) at one point this season.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The play-caller also talked up outside linebacker Scott Solomon as a "car accident" for opponents, noting that Barkevious Mingo would need to earn his snaps.

I have high hopes for Scott Solomon. It looks like this kid can really hit. To paraphrase my son's coach from a few years ago, "I want to see snot bubbles!!!"

[Linked Image from s2.excoboard.com]
C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:

I'd rather have them injured now than injured in September.

D
Legend
Legend
D
My boy Scott Solomon is getting high praise from both Jim and Pettine. Sounds like whatever side he's on, he's going to shut the edge down.

We might be seeing more Solomon than Mingo!

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
j/c

I find it interesting that Erving isn't taking any reps at LG...not as competition for Bitonio, but...if JT would go down I would think that Bitonio would be a candidate to move over.

I know teams hate moving two guys when one guy gets dinged, but...who knows. I remember reading an opinion somewhere about Bitonio possibly being a T after a few years in the league. (Don't remember who said it or where I read it...just a thought.)

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Dawg_LB
My boy Scott Solomon is getting high praise from both Jim and Pettine. Sounds like whatever side he's on, he's going to shut the edge down.

well it was said that Mingo needs to step up... I think that's a good thing.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
C
Legend
Legend
C
I'd guess that if Joe Thomas went down his replacement would be Mitchell Schwartz or Michael Bowie.

Bitonio seems to be locked in at left guard.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
I'd guess that if Joe Thomas went down his replacement would be Mitchell Schwartz or Michael Bowie.

I disagree. I think they replace with Erving. Moving Schwartz theoretically weakens both tackle positions. Thinking Greco move to center last year.

I know Farmer hyped up Bowie. How much have we heard about Bowie during OTA and mini-camp?

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: Damanshot

well it was said that Mingo needs to step up... I think that's a good thing.

I do too, and I think the nickname they gave Scott is awesome. Bloodbath,hahaha LOVE IT! thumbsup

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I think Mingo will step up. He basically played with one arm last year and that to me shows how much heart the kid has. Did any of you try to do any physical work with one arm and a bad shoulder much less play football? Let's give the kid a fair shot I think he will be a good player for us.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Don't really want to talk about JT missing action but that is where I believe Erving is taking reps at...obviously not to replace but the one with the best experience and skill set to take an attempt to hold the fort.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: Homewood Dog
I think Mingo will step up. He basically played with one arm last year and that to me shows how much heart the kid has. Did any of you try to do any physical work with one arm and a bad shoulder much less play football? Let's give the kid a fair shot I think he will be a good player for us.

To his credit, Jim labeled Mingo as the best outside lber in coverage.

Last edited by Dawg_LB; 06/19/15 03:28 PM.
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: Homewood Dog

To his credit, Jim labeled Mingo as the best outside lber in coverage.

Yes he did...rather impressive given that last year was reportedly the first time he'd been put in a coverage role.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

Agreed and I think that is how it would shake out...like all, I'm uneasy on how that would work out.

Again like all, I'm uneasy about Schwartz or Bowie being able to play LT. Erving seems the logical LT backup given his resume...but man, that's tough for a Rook.

Here's to hoping we don't have to find out.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:
Baltimore Ravens

1. Ravens rookie wideout Breshad Perriman came out of college with a reputation for drops. The first-rounder looked good earlier this spring, but struggled Tuesday with four dropped balls. "Just really paying attention, getting too tired and really not focusing," Perriman explained to The Baltimore Sun. Despite the gaffes, coaches say Perriman has put together plenty of strong practice tape.

I've never understood why teams draft WRs that drop a lot of balls. I'm glad he is their problem.

Quote:

2. Rookie running back Duke Johnson has been the talk of minicamp on offense, with ESPN's Adam Caplan saying the former Hurricanes star has been "the most impressive" back at camp, playing all over the field and even at wideout.

That's good news.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: tex

I think my mom would be a better tackle then Wart, BTW mom is 77... On the other hand I think Wart would be an excellent RG. They said the Erving was able to play anywhere on the line why not TRY to replace Wart?

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
Legend
Legend
Bro you stay killing me with these names you come up with.

Last edited by Swish; 06/19/15 11:30 PM.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

I think my mom would be a better tackle then Wart, BTW mom is 77... On the other hand I think Wart would be an excellent RG. They said the Erving was able to play anywhere on the line why not TRY to replace Wart?

ok here is where you lose credibility with me... your mom does not have the footwork to a tackle brownie

seriously I like Grecco at RG, but we better find out if Erving can play RT because there is a good chance Schwartz is gone after this year anyway

Last edited by texaslostdawg; 06/20/15 10:49 AM.

#gmstrong

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: texaslostdawg

ok here is where you lose credibility with me... your mom does not have the footwork to a tackle brownie

seriously I like Grecco at RG, but we better find out if Erving can play RT because there is a good chance Schwartz is gone after this year anyway

I would add there is a very real chance this is Macks last go here too. I fear there won't be enough bubble gum to stop up the dam. Not drafting players who can make a difference in favor of drafting replacements for players we are about to lose concerns me and means we stay stuck at best where we are...

I would kick Wart inside just to get a look see at what he can do there in my thinking if he is a good/great RG and can play tackle in a pinch we are better team going forward. It would increase his value to the team and may be the difference between re-signing him and not, IMO. One thing for sure Wart isn't a very good RT.

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: texaslostdawg

I would add there is a very real chance this is Macks last go here too. I fear there won't be enough bubble gum to stop up the dam. Not drafting players who can make a difference in favor of drafting replacements for players we are about to lose concerns me and means we stay stuck at best where we are...

I would kick Wart inside just to get a look see at what he can do there in my thinking if he is a good/great RG and can play tackle in a pinch we are better team going forward. It would increase his value to the team and may be the difference between re-signing him and not, IMO. One thing for sure Wart isn't a very good RT.

Maybe we like Schwartz and Mack, but they've told the FO they want to play for a winner and that they plan on leaving if we don't make the playoffs (or something similar.) Erving could be replacing either one, so he's between them and learning both positions from up close.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Karlos Dansby is giving players Confidence

That's the way that guy's feeling right now!

http://www.gq.com/blogs/the-feed/2015/06/nfl-ball-waxing-confidence-karlos-dansby.html

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Maybe we like Schwartz and Mack, but they've told the FO they want to play for a winner and that they plan on leaving if we don't make the playoffs (or something similar.) Erving could be replacing either one, so he's between them and learning both positions from up close.

Schwartz can hit the bricks any time he pleases, losing Alex Mack though would be a huge loss for the team and city. He's easily a top three center in the entire league. Erving would have his work cutout for him.

With that said, I would not be the least bit shocked if he were to leave. I would be tired of losing too.

"You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave"
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: MrKelso

Schwartz can hit the bricks any time he pleases, losing Alex Mack though would be a huge loss for the team and city. He's easily a top three center in the entire league. Erving would have his work cutout for him.

With that said, I would not be the least bit shocked if he were to leave. I would be tired of losing too.

The older I get, the worse my memory becomes. Help me out, who was the Right Tackle that was here in the early 2000's?

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

I'm not sure I like anybody else being called Wart. Please, come up with a new nickname for him. ;-)

Legend
Legend

Many posters here say our Oline is one of the best in the NFL and there is nothing to be concerned about. tongue

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
R
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
R
Originally Posted By: Damanshot
The older I get, the worse my memory becomes. Help me out, who was the Right Tackle that was here in the early 2000's?

Ryan Tucker?

P
Legend
Legend
P
I've been worried about Mack leaving ever since he and his agent devised a contract with a two year out option. There's no reason to have such a clause in your contract unless it's an option you feel you may use.

I believe anyone who doesn't have concern about that is being a bit naïve.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
I've been worried about Mack leaving ever since he and his agent devised a contract with a two year out option. There's no reason to have such a clause in your contract unless it's an option you feel you may use.

I believe anyone who doesn't have concern about that is being a bit naïve.

In the NBA, opt out clauses seem to be as common as anything. The fact that Mack has onw, refuses to talk about staying or going... yeah, glad we signed big Erving.

M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M

Mack is entering his 7th season with the Browns and the Browns average record during that period is 5 wins and 11 losses.

Including the 2015 team, Mack and the offense have had 6 different offensive coordinators since Mack was a rookie. The Browns have had 4 different head coaches since Mack was drafted in 2009.

I have little doubt that Mack is growing tired of hearing all the pep talks from the team owner and management, promising that next year will be better.

Our front office made the changes they believe will turn the franchise into a winner this season.

If the Browns management misjudged again and the team fails to improve upon the 7-9 record of 2014, it could cost the Browns one of the best centers in the NFL.

Hard to blame any player for wanting to win...

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Legend
Legend
The following guys have played RT for the Browns since 1999
Steve Zahursky, Roger Chanoine, Joaquin Gonzalez, John St. Clair, Tony Pashos, Orlando Brown, Kevin Shaffer, Ryan Tucker, and Schwartz.

I believe you are thinking about Tucker who played for us from 2002 through 2008 if my memory still works lol

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: mac
Hard to blame any player for wanting to win... [/color]

Certainly not, but that is only one aspect.

Money - important, but could be made with any other team.
Location - nice to be near "home", but not essential.
Atmosphere - positive in Cleveland; have not heard "dysfunctional" used lately.
Winning - we are getting close. Do you want to go to a winner, or do you stay and help build a winner? I suggest that latter is much more satisfying...

Last edited by bbrowns32; 06/30/15 07:28 AM.

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns mini camp...Phase 3: May 26-29, June 1-4, June 8-12

Link Copied to Clipboard