Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
I'm all for guns, but the country really needs to be able to sit down and have a reasonable, fact-based, non-reactionary discussion about what is acceptable and what is unacceptable when it comes to guns and how they are utilized. Until both sides are ready to do that, nothing will change and these types of attacks will continue.

Browns!
Legend
Legend
Nah. We already have laws in place and responsible, law abiding citizens can defend themselves without meetings.

All meetings did in the past was try to take away guns or list guns as assault weapons and such.

Never give the Libs the opening to talk about our second amendment rights.

Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Originally Posted By: 40YEARSWAITING
Nah. We already have laws in place and responsible, law abiding citizens can defend themselves without meetings.

All meetings did in the past was try to take away guns or list guns as assault weapons and such.

Never give the Libs the opening to talk about our second amendment rights.

Thanks for making my point for me.

Browns!
R
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
R
quote above by arch:

"My home protection is up to me. (and my dog makes it a lot easier.)"

Having a gun for home protection - in conjunction with having a dog - seems to make this a feasible proposition.

Especially a dog smart enough to recognize (and make known) an unusual circumstance. (ie, not just the mailman)(at 3 am Sunday morning)(again)

Legend
Legend
Quote:
I know that good locks only keep out honest people but this is where you start.

That's not really true. Most home invasions are crimes of opportunity. Unless you are known to have something of particular value in your house, the average house thief is looking for the easiest target.

Good locks, keeping the exterior well lit, having a dog, a security system with a posted sign, all help in keeping out the average criminal who might be inclined to break into your home... and serve as an encouragement to go down the road and look for an easier target.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: archbolddawg
Originally Posted By: PerfectSpiral
Quote:
handgun safe beneath my bed

Not locked. Not in sight. Not safe.

Selective "quoting". Perhaps you should read what I ACTUALLY wrote??? Here, I'll show you again: " a handgun safe beneath my bed. When I'm not in bed, it's locked

When I'm in bed, it's safe.

However, how does "not in sight" make it unsafe? That one baffles me.

If it's out of sight are you sure it's still there? And is it locked? No. Is it loaded? Yes. Is it safe? No.

What are you talking about? It's locked up if I'm not in bed.

When I AM in bed, it's fine. Safe, and fine.

Is it loaded? You tell me. If it is, it's in a holster. If it isn't, it's still in a holster and it takes literally 1 second to load it.

What is your experience with guns? Rifles, shotguns, pistols, handguns.

10 years of military service.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
A
Legend
Legend
A
I'll go with that.

When my brother lived in a "tougher" part of DC, at a block watch meeting, the cop in charge said basically "having a dog - doesn't have to be big, but the bigger the better, is the best way to deter theft."

Now, theft is different than a drug induced "I don't care" thing.

But, as just happened to me - my dog alerted me to something. Neither he nor I are certain what it was, but it was out of the ordinary. As I stated before, my dog is not one that just barks to bark. When he barks and growls, there's a reason.

A
Legend
Legend
A
Quote:
handgun safe beneath my bed

Not locked. Not in sight. Not safe.

Selective "quoting". Perhaps you should read what I ACTUALLY wrote??? Here, I'll show you again: " a handgun safe beneath my bed. When I'm not in bed, it's locked

When I'm in bed, it's safe.

However, how does "not in sight" make it unsafe? That one baffles me.

If it's out of sight are you sure it's still there? And is it locked? No. Is it loaded? Yes. Is it safe? No.

What are you talking about? It's locked up if I'm not in bed.

When I AM in bed, it's fine. Safe, and fine.

Is it loaded? You tell me. If it is, it's in a holster. If it isn't, it's still in a holster and it takes literally 1 second to load it.

What is your experience with guns? Rifles, shotguns, pistols, handguns.

10 years of military service.

Ah.....so, apparently you would know what a "safe" gun is? It didn't show in your previous posts.

What branch? years served? Put in time in Iraq, or Afghanistan?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Well about 30 miles east of Cleveland just minutes ago there was a woman shot dead in her home and another shot shortly after on a walking/biking trail near by.

Sad tragic events.

Legend
Legend
It doesn't matter? You wouldn't believe me anyways. i know I can fight off a burglar and protect my family without a gun. Plus I don't need to worry that my weapons would be used in other crimes, because they can't be stolen.

– Jackie Robinson
Legend
Legend
Well thank you for your service Soldier!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
It doesn't matter? You wouldn't believe me anyways. i know I can fight off a burglar and protect my family without a gun. Plus I don't need to worry that my weapons would be used in other crimes, because they can't be stolen.

And if the burglar has a gun?

My wife tapes throwing knifes under tables and chairs in the house, as we don't have young kids. My kids even know those are there. If someone breaks in when I'm not home, and they can't get to the gun, there are still hidden weapons about the house. There isn't a much better feeling knowing you have a hidden sgian-dubh.

[Linked Image from s2.excoboard.com]
Legend
Legend
I'm a deep sleeper and I sleep naked on top of the sheets. One morning I awoke to an armed burglar who was dead on the floor, having turned his gun on himself. Police never did figure that one out.

R
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
R
"My wife tapes throwing knifes under tables and chairs in the house"

Nooo.... No way... You're joking.

Do you practice? Do you tour with Cirque du Soleil in the off-season?

How do you know she has them there for intruders? Do you and your wife get along?

Questions... Many questions...

A
Legend
Legend
A
It doesn't matter?[/quote}

Who said it doesn't matter? I didn't. You did, but you insinate I said it?
Quote:
You wouldn't believe me anyways.
Oh. So you're embarrassed about your service? Or, you didn't put in 10 years? Or, you're just being obnoxious? [quote] i know I can fight off a burglar and protect my family without a gun.

Okay, tough guy. Dude breaks in your house, holding a gun. Are you telling me you're going to take him out bare handed? Please. Dude puts a gun on you, you'd probably piddle.

It's great you don't need a gun. I must not be as skilled at combating armed intruders as you are.
Quote:

Plus I don't need to worry that my weapons would be used in other crimes, because they can't be stolen.

Mine can't be stolen any easier than your car can be stolen, or your bat, or a shard of glass from your window, or your kitchen knives.

Here's something you obviously don't get. At night, my gun is under my control. It won't be stolen without me being dead.

And yeah, buddy, I have a list of the guns I own, with serial numbers included, in 3 different locations - one of which is the bank vault.

Actually, you sound like an easy victim. No guns? You think you could disarm a drunk or high criminal? You must have been "special ops" in the military. If you served.

Legend
Legend
rofl

"too many notes, not enough music-"

#GMStong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: rockyhilldawg
"My wife tapes throwing knifes under tables and chairs in the house"

Nooo.... No way... You're joking.

Do you practice? Do you tour with Cirque du Soleil in the off-season?

How do you know she has them there for intruders? Do you and your wife get along?

Questions... Many questions...

I bought them for her on one of our anniversaries. We go out and throw them every now and then. She's pretty good at it.

If a male intruder breaks in during the day, chances are highly likely he's not there to steal, but to rape. Typically, they like to knock women about a little, so if she winds up on the floor near that furniture, she's getting back up with a good, balanced knife. So far, she's only had to pull her stiletto switchblade once outside the house, but that was before I bought her a gun.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
I think anyone who owns a gun for home protection needs to stop watching so many movies.

A
Legend
Legend
A
Originally Posted By: CHSDawg
I think anyone who owns a gun for home protection needs to stop watching so many movies.

And I think anyone that doesn't own a gun for home protection is either dumb, lives in a gated community, dumb, or is reliant on 15 to 20 minute police response times.

You know - get there just in time to take a report.......which more often than not results in
"suspect could not be found".

D
Legend
Legend
D
Guns, such a touchy topic. One that I use to really enjoy talking about and etc, however now... I usually avoid these conversations/debates. There's just too much.

If you're right, someone will indicate you're wrong. If you're wrong, someone will say you're right. Who can keep up with all the back and forth these days?

Legend
Legend
Yea, you're right.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: maxpower
I'm all for guns, but the country really needs to be able to sit down and have a reasonable, fact-based, non-reactionary discussion about what is acceptable and what is unacceptable when it comes to guns and how they are utilized. Until both sides are ready to do that, nothing will change and these types of attacks will continue.

We did that with the constitutional convention some 200 or so years ago.

Legend
Legend
The constitution does change.

That's why they're called amendments.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Swish
The constitution does change.

That's why they're called amendments.

Yes, but the amendment in question was placed in the Constitution from the beginning. There has been no change or amendment for the 2nd. It still stands at 'shall not be infringed'. It should stay that way until the fall of the country. If they change or remove it, that will probably be the cause of the fall of the country.

Legend
Legend
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State...

The first half seems to get dropped in a lot of conversations.

My guess: fewer than 10% of private gun owners belong to any militia... even a poorly-regulated one.

#GMStong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Clemdawg

My guess: fewer than 10% of private gun owners belong to any militia... even a poorly-regulated one.

That's because the citizens of the new country were supposed to be the militia when needed. We are still expected to be the militia when needed.

Legend
Legend
xx

Last edited by jfanent; 07/28/15 06:55 AM.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend

The first half is there to support to the second half, which indicates that the right to bear arms was an already established inalienable right. I don't see how there can be any other interpretation.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: rockyhilldawg
Gun control.

This is a tough one. I’ don’t have a certain opinion on this controversy.

Here’s what I do think:

Having a gun for general self-protection seems more dangerous than effective.

For protection against home invasion the gun has to be easily accessible. Every day. For an event that is highly unlikely to ever happen. (hopefully)

And an invader is not going to give you much leeway. Where can you keep a gun for emergency access? On the night stand? Under your bed? To be useful in this situation, the gun’s always gotta be loaded.

As for personal protection:

I consider myself as having a “normal range temper”. There’s been occasions in my life when, if I had a gun on my person, I might have pulled it out. Situations that didn’t really warrant a gun.

In defense of private gun ownership:

1) Guns used in sport by an experienced user are a lot of fun.
2) If you don’t have a gun, you’re at the complete mercy of someone who does.

This is all my naive, poorly-informed opinion. I’d love to read other opinions on this.

The beauty of the deal is you don't have to own one if you choose not to own one.

Swish on the other hand owned guns but came to the conclusion he probably best not own any for a while due to some personal issues. Good call on his part. Some day down the road he may get those issues sorted out and decide to own one again.

Everybody is different. Sane people make sane choices.

I have no problem with checks and they should include looks in to a persons mental stability. I don't want unstable person having a gun any more than I don't want criminals to have guns.

The fact of the matter is you can't disarm people if they want a gun, so the best you can do is to try to manage it in a sound way. Look at it in terms of immigration. Is it illegal immigration we want stopped or is it immigration all together?

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
F
Legend
Legend
F
It's a lot like a drunk drivers license.

Take it away because he is an alcoholic/habitual offender, but it doesn't stop him from driving if they want to.

Mental health screenings, regulations, etc. don't stop people from getting guns if they want to.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: FloridaFan
It's a lot like a drunk drivers license.

They give drunk drivers licenses now? Must one request it? brownie

Legend
Legend
Quote:

He'll find out very fast how it feels to have his own gun turned on him.

– Jackie Robinson
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Mmmmm Hot, Manly talk!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I just hope you're fast enough to get to him before he starts shooting. Good luck.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Vambo

And there was recently a rally/demonstration in Britain for "Stop the Knives, Save Lives".

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...ets-London.html

Some people just don't get it... the problem is PEOPLE.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
Originally Posted By: Vambo

And there was recently a rally/demonstration in Britain for "Stop the Knives, Save Lives".

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...ets-London.html

It will be sporks next. After that they'll be bashing each other with bricks, and just about everything is made of bricks near London.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

quoted for Truth.

Um.... Jules- we need you, grlfrnd....

wink

#GMStong
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

Came across this USA Today article earlier which fits with the current thread.

Honore: America's in denial about gun culture
Greg Hilburn, The (Lafayette, La.) Daily Advertiser 9:32 p.m. EDT July 27, 2015

Retired U.S. Army Gen. Russel Honore, Louisiana's most well-known 21st century military hero, said America is mired in a state of denial about its gun culture and that's harming the country.

"As a country we're in a state of denial because we've confused the right to bear arms with the right to carry arms all the time anywhere or anyplace you want," Honore told Gannett Louisiana on Monday. "We have to have a different kind of conversation in America and be prepared to speak about the politically unspeakable."

Honore said the string of recent mass gun murders — culminating with the tragic movie theater shooting in Lafayette Thursday in which two victims died — should provide a wake up call.

"It breaks my heart to see that happen in my home state or anywhere in America," he said. "We've got a problem in this country, and at some point the politicians have to get down into the community and find some answers to this problem."

Honore had considered running for governor this fall but decided against making the race earlier this summer.

The retired army general, best known for his role leading the Hurricane Katrina recovery in New Orleans, said during his time in the military soldiers "were required to clear their weapons and turn them in as soon as they came in from the field."

"The best place for weapons when you're not in the field is to be locked up in the garrison," Honore' said. "Our biggest problem before Desert Storm was (soldiers) accidentally firing their weapons, and they're trained.

"I've been around guns all my life, but when I was growing up they were locked in the cabinet unless you needed them for hunting."

Honore also said he disagrees with those advocating for military men and women at recruitment offices to be armed. Some armed civilians have taken it upon themselves to stand guard at recruitment locations since the mass shooting at a Tennessee office this summer.

One such civilian accidentally fired a round at an Ohio recruitment office last week. Nobody was injured.

"I don't think it's a good idea to arm military at the recruitment offices or to have civilians there with guns," Honore said. "That's the job of law enforcement. On our bases, yes, we guard our gates and our bases, but not at the recruitment offices."

Honore said he doesn't know what steps government should take tighten controls on carrying guns — "I'm not smart enough for that," he said — but he said mass shootings "are scarring our country."

"I've lived in Europe and Korea and all over the world," Honore' said. "They don't have the same level of gun violence in the United Kingdom or Germany or Italy or the same affection for guns other than for hunting."

Honore, a Point Coupee Parish native who lives in Baton Rouge, retired from the army in 2008 after 37 years. He leads his own consulting and public speaking company and has been an advocate for the environment.

"We've got to rethink and re-set our thoughts about guns," he said. "We have to focus less on ideology and more on practicality."

Article

Legend
Legend
Quote:

quoted for Truth.

Nah.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUBTAdI7zuY

R
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
R
Great artcle.

Very convincing article by General Russel Honore. He's got my vote. Thanks Milk.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... The Second Amendment - guns

Link Copied to Clipboard