Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Clemdawg
"The only thing we have to fear... is flying monkeys."
-Clemdawg

Fear me, for I have a Woot! flying monkey.

#GMSTRONG
1st String
1st String
It's not what you say, it's how you say it. "Shaniquas" obviously implies Black women. Out of all the words you could use to describe a female on welfare you chose a disparaging term to discribe a black woman. It's cool though, bigotry is still legal in this country.

1st String
1st String
Not that I was talking to you, but if you support the use of disparaging terms to discribe a Black woman, that's your right. As it is my right to call that person out. I'd appreciate it if you chose to attack me on someone else's behalf, at least let me know how it concerns you.

All Pro
All Pro
It's a message board, not a private one-on-one conversation. It concerns me in that I was reading the thread, saw your comment, and felt like responding. And I don't understand how one could read Clem's comments and infer bigotry. There were more than enough grammar and context clues to understand what he was saying. But it's neither here nor there. He can defend himself. I just think it's counterproductive to cry wolf in such matters, as it cheapens a very real issue that many wish to pretend doesn't exist.

Legend
Legend
I just Know Sanders creeps me out and he can't sing

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Last edited by gage; 08/13/15 10:52 AM.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Victor_Von_Doom
Not that I was talking to you, but if you support the use of disparaging terms to discribe a Black woman, that's your right. As it is my right to call that person out. I'd appreciate it if you chose to attack me on someone else's behalf, at least let me know how it concerns you.

I know you are relatively new here but Clem is a highly respected poster and most on here will give him the benefit of the doubt. I'm also pretty sure that his mom and his wife are black women so I doubt he would say anything intentionally disparaging toward black women in general.

yebat' Putin
1st String
1st String
Actually, I'm not new. I just read more than I post. I've noticed no matter the subject matter most threads turn into debates about religion or politics. Second, who he is or who he is related to makes no difference. All it tells me is he should know better. That's no different than Black people trying to justify the use of the "N" word, but getting upset when Whites do it. You can't turn a negative into a positive, no matter how much you may want to.

Legend
Legend
Clem is no more Bigoted or Racist than I am!

Got your back bud. thumbsup

All Pro
All Pro
the "N" word

Whoa, easy there with your bigotry.

Legend
Legend
It's not what you say, it's how you say it. "Shaniquas" obviously implies Black women. Out of all the words you could use to describe a female on welfare you chose a disparaging term to discribe a black woman. It's cool though, bigotry is still legal in this country.

Here was the disclaimer:
Quote:

At the risk of sounding "Politically Incorrect"... because THAT's the 'mind picture' we've all been conditioned to call up, ever since The Candidate Ronald Reagan used the term "Welfare Queen" in his 80's bid for the presidency.

Yes... I did it for shock value, and nothing else.
I guess it worked. A little too well, apparently-

"too many notes, not enough music-"
1st String
1st String
And that's exactly the problem. You are clearly talking about a subject you know nothing about. I can understand if you attempted to stick up for your friend with some substance, but you didn't. Not in this response or the one before it. You may critique the man's grammar and sentence structure, please be my guest.

Now, whether you realize it or not "Janequas" is a disparaging term. Are you aware of this? If not that would make sense to me as to why you can't see my point of view, which means this can be a teachable moment. If you do understand it is not a favorable term applied to Black women and still justify your friends use of it that's your right.

So, which one is. It?

1st String
1st String
So says the man with the Hispanic Gardner. If you're backing what this guy wrote, it tells me everything I need to know.

Last edited by Victor_Von_Doom; 08/13/15 12:40 PM.
Legend
Legend
Pretty much thought you already knew everything.

Didn't say I back up what he wrote, I am saying I back up the Man himself.

Last edited by 40YEARSWAITING; 08/13/15 01:02 PM.
1st String
1st String
I like how you failed to answer the question. Which tells me based on the merits of your well thought out responses, you either are unable to have a civil discussion or you don't want to (which I find strange since you injected yourself in the conversation) Either way is fine with me.

All Pro
All Pro
And that's exactly the problem. You are clearly talking about a subject you know nothing about. I can understand if you attempted to stick up for your friend with some substance, but you didn't. Not in this response or the one before it. You may critique the man's grammar and sentence structure, please be my guest.

Now, whether you realize it or not "Janequas" is a disparaging term. Are you aware of this? If not that would make sense to me as to why you can't see my point of view, which means this can be a teachable moment. If you do understand it is not a favorable term applied to Black women and still justify your friends use of it that's your right.

So, which one is. It?

Again, it's all about context. You're trying to argue that simply using a word makes it an act of bigotry, which isn't true in the slightest. For example, the president went on Marc Maron's podcast a few weeks back and made the following statement: "Racism, we are not cured of it," Mr. Obama said. "And it's not just a matter of it not being polite to say [expletive] in public. That's not the measure of whether racism still exists or not. It's not just a matter of overt discrimination. Societies don't, overnight, completely erase everything that happened 200 to 300 years prior." Is that a statement of bigotry, and do you view the president as a bigot for making said statement? As I said earlier, this sort of push to eradicate the use of words does nothing productive, and it only cheapens the very valid argument that bigotry is alive and well in our country. If going on a snipe hunt for words or phrases makes you feel like you're presenting a "teachable moment" to the board, I'd say go ahead, but I would certainly question the value of such exercises. Clem is certainly not a bigot, nor was his use of the word bigoted in it's context. His intent was very clear.

Legend
Legend
Quote:
Actually, I'm not new. I just read more than I post. I've noticed no matter the subject matter most threads turn into debates about religion or politics.

Or they turn into a fight over semantics, which this one now has.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, I've just followed Clem's posts for a long time and there is nobody on this board to whom I would give a longer leash and more benefit of the doubt than him.

yebat' Putin
1st String
1st String
So, you attempted to answer a question with a question? God bless you. Please enjoy the rest of your day.

1st String
1st String
I thank you for your insight. Straight and to the point.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
So, you attempted to answer a question with a question? God bless you. Please enjoy the rest of your day.

You're just failing to understand Clem. He even tried to clear it up for you, but you've ignored the post. So I'll spell it out smile

"At the risk of sounding "Politically Incorrect"... because THAT's the 'mind picture' we've all been conditioned to call up, ever since The Candidate Ronald Reagan used the term "Welfare Queen" in his 80's bid for the presidency."

That's the quote. Clem is saying that because of the diphead (My words, not Clem's wink ) Ronald Reagan we've been trained to associate "welfare queen" with a lazy, fat, black woman with an African themed name. He's not endorsing the use with this statement, but critiquing it. Trying to show everyone how racial charged and ridiculous it is. Do you understand now? This is a really simple question and should have been cleared up long ago.

1st String
1st String
I read you loud and clear. Thank you for taking the time to clarify that for me. I guess that's what Jack was attempting to do in his own way.

A
Legend
Legend
A
Clemmy is not a bigot. Period. End of discussion.

Legend
Legend
Well... I'm glad we've settled this li'l dealy.

And... no worries, Victor. It happens all the time on message boards.

And to the guys: thanks for clearing it up in my absence. I just got home from 4 hours of quartet rehearsals, and was ready to explain myself to Dr. Doom. It's gratifying to see that y'all did all the heavy lifting for me.

So... we all good now?

thumbsup

1st String
1st String
Indeed.

Legend
Legend
j/c

I was scrolling another site, and found this quote.
Thought it was appropriate to the subject matter in this thread::

Quote:
Quote of the day:

"I regard this contest as one to determine who shall rule this free country—the people through their governmental agents, or a few ruthless and domineering men whose wealth makes them peculiarly formidable because they hide behind the breastworks of corporate organization.”

—Theodore Roosevelt (1907)

Loved me some Theodore ever since My Pops made me write a paper on him during a Summer break in late grade school-

Legend
Legend
A very interesting quote... but what happens when the ruthless domineering wealthy men also control the governmental agents? Where does that leave "the people"?

yebat' Putin
P
Legend
Legend
P
Where we are now.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Now there's a cautionary tale of being careful of what you wish for or vote for as the case may be.

#GMSTRONG
P
Legend
Legend
P
I see only one problem with that thought process. It pervades all aspects of politics. Both parties and most if not all candidates. That may sound skeptical but the flow of money from corporations and special interests flows like water in the mighty Mississippi.

It floods to all candidates so no matter who wins, big money has a friend.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
A
Legend
Legend
A
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
I see only one problem with that thought process. It pervades all aspects of politics. Both parties and most if not all candidates. That may sound skeptical but the flow of money from corporations and special interests flows like water in the mighty Mississippi.

It floods to all candidates so no matter who wins, big money has a friend.

Correct.

Why do you think one party wants to let illegal immigrants vote? Power. Not for the illegals, but for the vote getters.

P
Legend
Legend
P
And why do you think the other party wants illegals here? Cheap labor. There's really nothing to point the finger at there. Each party wants them here for their own interests.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Not Trump, he wants them gone. Lots and lots of Army trucks heading south gone.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I was talking about the candidates who have a chance to win.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I think not. I think you were talking out of your hat in that first post and when I presented a Billionaire who wants them outta here, you talked out of your hat again.

O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: 40YEARSWAITING
Not Trump, he wants them gone. Lots and lots of Army trucks heading south gone.

Don't keep holding your breath BLUE. That will never happen.

Legend
Legend
And you absolutely know this how?

No wait! First look into that Magic 8 ball of yours and tell me if the Market will be up or down tomorrow!

Legend
Legend
Be sure and thank a Supreme Court Justice, today.

[badmexicanaccent]
Donation cap, we don't need no stinkin' donation cap.

#GMSTRONG
O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O

No wait! First look into that Magic 8 ball of yours and tell me if the Market will be up or down tomorrow!

Down.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg

Down.

You gots a 50/50 chance and them are good odds! brownie

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN

Just to be clear, we are talking about a guy (Bernie Sanders) who is so progressive that it is widely believed that he can't even get the Democratic nomination over the more centrist Hillary.. and you want to start by getting the far right to buy off on it? Baby steps my friend.
But he's pretty much dead center compared to most other 1st world countries' policies.

Hillary's not that popular because like her husband she's "Conservative Lite".

Last edited by rockdogg; 08/19/15 09:03 AM.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Conservative Billionaires have started talking like Bernie Sanders!

Link Copied to Clipboard