Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
#985556 08/14/15 09:55 AM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet series for him yesterday! I know he only played a little bit but it was very encouraging to see him play well.

We can only hope 'n' pray for more of the same during the regular season, you know? WE SHALL SEE.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The encouraging thing is that he was pressured and he didnt look gunshy. On the td throw to benji I thought he had thrown it right to the defender lol If he can give us this kind of play and allow Johnny to continue to absorb the NFL game, we are in great shape.

Legend
Legend
If anyone is interested in continuing the conversation that had just been sparked when the last thread was locked...

Originally Posted By: clevesteve

So what do we think it was that made McCown have that one great stretch? Was it Trestman? Was it Marshall, Jeffrey, and Bennett? Pure luck? That year was supposedly the one year the Bears had a good line, but they still weren't great. Any ideas? Is it something we can take advantage of or replicate here?

Originally Posted By: cfrs15

I really think he just had a lucky stretch with awesome receivers. Derek Anderson had an entire season of that.

He had Evans, Jackson, and ASJ in Tampa, which is pretty close to Marshall, Jeffrey, and Bennett... and he had more games there. But he didn't have any of the same luck? I think it's gotta be more than that.

Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan

He also had no offensive coordinator, as Jeff Tedford, who was hired to be OC, took ill before the season, and missed the whole year. His place was taken by a straight out of college QB coach, Marcus Arroyo, who had never played, or coached, in the NFL before. Arroyo reportedly had no idea how to put together an NFL gameplan, or how to design/call plays in the NFL. This was not his fault, as that was not the job he was hired to do ..... but it still made like extremely difficult for the offense.

I am not willing to say that this was the only reason that McCown struggled, but I would bet that it played a large part in the struggles of the offense as a whole.

I am curious to see how the preseason plays out. Maybe Manziel beats out McCown. Who knows? Stranger things have definitely happened.

Originally Posted By: Memphis

I definitely think that not having a OC and having a horrible offensive line definitely played a part. There is no question in my mind as it would negatively effect any QB. I also think having a established, work horse running back in Matt Forte and solid offensive line definitely helped McCown in Chicago.

I'd be lying if I said my 'hope' hasn't increased slightly in McCown since TC began. Not sure if that is because I generally get more excited about football as we get closer and all the "what ifs" run through my head, or what...but I like what I saw in the scrimmage. Not the 7-on-7 but the 11-on-11 too although I understand the pass rush lets up on the QBs.

I don't expect 5-game Chicago McCown but I don't expect Tampa Bay McCown either. Something in the middle. Not sure if that will be enough...

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: 3rd_and_20
Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet series for him yesterday! I know he only played a little bit but it was very encouraging to see him play well.

We can only hope 'n' pray for more of the same during the regular season, you know? WE SHALL SEE.
Originally Posted By: Mourgrym
The encouraging thing is that he was pressured and he didnt look gunshy. On the td throw to benji I thought he had thrown it right to the defender lol If he can give us this kind of play and allow Johnny to continue to absorb the NFL game, we are in great shape.

The TD was really a beautiful play. The escape was amazing.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted By: 3rd_and_20

The TD was really a beautiful play. The escape was amazing.

Yes!

I really get into the first halves of our preseason games, only because usually our regular season games are rough on us. The first half was fun, but after that it got a bit boring.

Josh really looked pro yesterday. Hope it continues!

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
I really get into the first halves of our preseason games, only because usually our regular season games are rough on us. The first half was fun, but after that it got a bit boring.

3rd..I agree, the first half was more enjoying. I watched the first half and the beginning of the second half...when it was obvious that both teams were just trying to evaluate their backup talent, I turned it off.

The first half was all Browns! nanner thumbsup

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Josh McCown on his spirited debut: 'I've been out of this game; you never know when it's your last snap'

Mary Kay Cabot, Northeast Ohio Media Group By Mary Kay Cabot, Northeast Ohio Media Group
Follow on Twitter
on August 14, 2015 at 2:32 PM, updated August 14, 2015 at 2:33 PM

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Josh McCown is more than just a starting quarterback for the Browns. He's also part-time coach and fulltime cheerleader on the sidelines.

When he wasn't busy throwing a touchdown pass on his lone possession of Thursday night's 20-17 loss to the Redskins in the preseason opener, he was patting Johnny Manziel on the back after his TD run, huddling with Connor Shaw and Thad Lewis and congratulating receivers after a catch.

"Yeah, they didn't paint the field and light the stadium up for nothing,'' said McCown, who looked to be having the time of his life in his debut in front of Browns fans during the 20-17 loss. "Let's go get our money's worth and go enjoy it. I've been out of this game (he coached high school football for two seasons). So anytime you can be in a stadium and on a sideline full of guys, I mean we had two guys carted off the field tonight (from the Bears). You don't know when it's your last snap and when it's your last moment on that sideline.''

McCown looked as happy for Manziel after his12-yard TD scamper as he did after his own 2-yard TD pass in the back right corner of the end zone to Travis Benjamin on the opening drive.

"It's just wanting to make the most of it and to help the other guys,'' said McCown. "These are young guys wanting to make their way in their career and put up good plays and do just what we talked about -- transition from the practice field to the game. It was fun, fun to be out there and it's just an honor and a privilege to be a part of this team. I'm very thankful to be there."

Coach Mike Pettine couldn't have been happier with his starter, who went 5-for-5 for 33 yards on the TD drive, including a 12-yard strike to Brian Hartline.

"He took what he's done in the meeting room, the practice field and he took it to the game field,'' Pettine said after the game. "He was poised, focused. He was into it. Even after that series, the whole rest of the game, he had the ear piece in, he knew the call, taking the mental reps on the sideline. He just showed tonight that he's the ultimate professional.''

McCown may have thrown a 51-yard TD pass if not for Redskins cornerback Chris Culliver interfering with a streaking Travis Benjamin at the Washington 16. As it was, he hit Benjamin with a 2-yard TD five plays later in the back right corner of the end zone after scrambling left, eluding linebacker Trent Murphy, then motoring back to the right and finding Benjamin all alone and waving his hand.

"He was just hanging out back there waving his hands and he looked lonely, so I threw him the football,'' said McCown. "We had a play going there to the left and there was a little bit of leakage there in the front, so I stepped back. And actually Hartline fell down on his route, so at that point, I got out of the pocket and was just about getting ready to throw it away and Travis was standing in the back of the end zone.

"It was one of those things. There was somebody in front of me and I was looking like, 'Is he back there by himself? That's weird.' So I threw him the ball and was able to get the touchdown. So that was good. It was good for us to cap off that drive that way."

McCown and Benjamin, who have developed a nice chemistry this camp, laughed about it when they came back to the sidelines.

"It was good that he stayed alive,'' said McCown. "Two or three days ago, we were talking on the practice field, Flip (offensive coordinator John DeFilippo) was really hammering us about red zone scramble drills and scramble rules and being ready when the quarterback gets out of the pocket and you're standing where you're supposed to be, so it's neat when you hear coach say something or hammer a point home and it comes to fruition on the field.''

Benjamin knew to be ready.

"I saw it last year when we played Tampa, we saw on film that he had good scramble ability,'' said McCown. "He's not the fastest guy, but he can move defenders away from him.''

McCown, 36, proved that he's just as mobile as Manziel, even though he's 14 years older.

"I think it's a central part of playing this position and (quarterbacks coach) Kevin (O'Connell) does a great job of hammering that home every day because in practice when they can't hit you, you play so much from the pocket that sometimes you can lose that thought process of scrambling and finding guys and all of that,'' said McCown. "Especially with a young guy like Johnny who we're really emphasizing to make plays from the pocket, Kevin has done a great job of not letting us lose sight of that and reminding us about how important our feet are. Both he and Flip, they say it all the time.''

McCown was unfazed by the lack of a running game, which saw Isaiah Crowell and Terrance West combine for 16 yards on eight carries.

"I have no doubt, get the other guys back and then you have Crow and West and it will get rolling,'' he said. "They didn't really have a chance to get settled in. I think that's more of a reflection of just the short night of work.''

Clad in the white-on-white version of the Browns new uniforms, McCown relished his debut in front of the fans he's already come to love.

"It was awesome,'' he said. "To come out and be in the stadium and be on this side of the field for once, feeling the energy of the fans, it was fun. It was a really good environment to play football in, for sure. Nice night."

The Browns are hoping there are plenty more just like that for him. Link

V
Legend
Legend
V
McCown played well in his series. We have seen other guys play well in preseason when teams are playing vanilla defenses and not blitzing much, so I think most of us understand to take it w/a grain of salt. However, the performance was encouraging.

What cannot be denied was that it was very evident that McCown appears to be a great teammate. I liked that.

R
Legend
Legend
R
What can't be denied is his uncanny resemblance to Dolph Lundgren.

Wasn't sure if I was watching the Browns or the Expendables. smile

E
Legend
Legend
E
So far he is who I thought he was. Just remember if its Mayhem back there consistently - like it was with our #2s n 3s. McCown will not be of any help. He can make ado with the rare breakdowns. But if its a consistent breakdown he is not good. That is who he is. He will not make a team good...the team will have to make him good and he will respond in flying colors. He is a leader and can the team properly prepped to execute the game plans.

That is who is he is.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
V
Legend
Legend
V
rofl

Great observation!

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
McCown played well in his series. We have seen other guys play well in preseason when teams are playing vanilla defenses and not blitzing much, so I think most of us understand to take it w/a grain of salt. However, the performance was encouraging.

What cannot be denied was that it was very evident that McCown appears to be a great teammate. I liked that.

One thing I'll add. When was the last time Browns offense took the opening drive and scored? They looked good no penalties. For a first preseason game, I really liked the timing and execution.

It is sad, being burned for so long, we need to be overly cautious seeing good play in preseason.

Legend
Legend
Is that kind of success allowed under the NFL rules. Looked like we were pretty sharp for a first preseason overall. factor in the ones who sat out and we did OK. I honestly expected worse.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Bard Dawg
Is that kind of success allowed under the NFL rules. Looked like we were pretty sharp for a first preseason overall. factor in the ones who sat out and we did OK. I honestly expected worse.

I thought that the team looked organized and sharp. We were missing Thomas, Bowe, Pryor, Duke Johnson, Malcolm Johnson, among others. on offense. I read that we had 19 (IIRC) guys sit out the 1st preseason game. That's 20% of the team, and a lot of those are expected to be either starters, or key substitutes.

I thought that we were night and day compared to last year.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: bugs
One thing I'll add. When was the last time Browns offense took the opening drive and scored?

If we are talking preseason, Delhomme led the Browns to an opening drive TD in 2010 against GB.

The following year in 2011, McCoy drove the Browns down for an opening drive TD, again, against the Packers.

If I recall, DA led the Browns to an opening drive TD against the Jets in 2008 on a great grab by Braylon Edwards.

Bottom line is preseason is not an indicator of future success or failure.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Originally Posted By: Milk Man

No, it is not. But, good football is good football and it should be noted.

Browns had one penalty in the first half and scored twice. New OC and QB yet they still are organized. For that matter, Washington I believe had a low number as well.

In order to be successful, Browns must play mistake free games to win.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
One thing I'll add. When was the last time Browns offense took the opening drive and scored?

If we are talking preseason, Delhomme led the Browns to an opening drive TD in 2010 against GB.

The following year in 2011, McCoy drove the Browns down for an opening drive TD, again, against the Packers.

If I recall, DA led the Browns to an opening drive TD against the Jets in 2008 on a great grab by Braylon Edwards.

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I have found the better you are in pre-season, the worse you are in the real season.
Ask New England.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: SuperBrown

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Did you see that TRich run for the Raiders?

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
SuperBrowns, I think my post is taken out of context.

I actually agree with you here. Does anyone have a factual stat to back it! I do think the worse your preseason the better the season! That is such a generalization!!

My hole point was, regular or preseason, it's been a long time since I've seen any Browns offense take their opening drive and score. My philosophy having a defensive team you need at least 20 points to win games. If you can score on your opening drive, you accomplished a 1/3 of your objective in the first quarter....huge!

Preseason means absolutely nothing. It is all about finding/building your roster no more no less.

B
All Pro
All Pro
B
Originally Posted By: eotab
he will respond in flying colors.

Debatable...

Legend
Legend
I agree, though my take was a little different. We looked better with ones in this preseason game one than we did during the skid mark ending to last season. Lots of folks sat out who should help us. But, yeah, we did OK. Gilbert, not so much. Secondary coverage gave up chunks.

I thought we looked sharp, put up many more defensive looks, and few penalties. I see it as progress and we didna put all our best on the field.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted By: Bard Dawg
I agree, though my take was a little different. We looked better with ones in this preseason game one than we did during the skid mark ending to last season. Lots of folks sat out who should help us. But, yeah, we did OK. Gilbert, not so much. Secondary coverage gave up chunks.

What!?! Gilbert was flawless... saywhat He even said so himself!

E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: berea
Originally Posted By: eotab
he will respond in flying colors.

Debatable...

Well not really, a prediction so far he has been true to but it is with a condition...don't forget the first part that if he must carry the team and teams will load up with pressure...it might get ugly.

Not really debatable just black and white in what we will see. It will be correct evaluation or incorrect. I don't think debatable. Others can make theirs and from what they have evaluated from.

From the beginning I said instead of saying 2013 was just a fluke...I have said shouldn't study it and see if we can duplicate that environment? A lot of my prediction noted is off of that concept.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Didn't get to chime in on his performance yet (been busy) but I thought his drive against Washington looked real good. He stood in the pocket and made some nice throws. McCown appears to have a firm handle on the playbook and the players around him, which is good. I'm really looking forward to see how the team does against Buffalo.

"You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave"
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Mike Pettine and Rex Ryan together again as Browns, Bills prepare for week of competition

The coaches have similar football philosophies, stressing sound defense and preference for a physical running game. It was noted neither has had much luck grooming a franchise quarterback, even though Mark Sanchez led the Jets to back-to-back AFC title games in 2009-10.

The Browns are turning to journeyman Josh McCown this season, while the Bills are looking for a starter to emerge from the group of Matt Cassel, Tyrod Taylor and EJ Manuel.

"We have had that conversation before asking who has the bigger curse on quarterbacks, he or I," Pettine said. "It remains to be seen."

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2015/08/mike_pettine_and_rex_ryan_are.html

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Click the link for McCown video clip, 2:18
link

Cleveland Browns and Josh McCown got a needed reality check -- Bud Shaw

August 20, 2015 at 9:58 PM, updated August 21, 2015 at 12:57 AM

CLEVELAND, Ohio – Josh McCown's first exhibition start for the Browns was too seamless, too effective but mostly too short.

The second was a long, hard pull. Ugly. Interception-laden. And probably just what this Browns' offense and this quarterback needed to get them out of training camp cruise control.

There's only a slight resemblance between training camp and the regular season. Some teams still kid themselves about that.

A good Buffalo defense made Thursday night more realistic in ways Washington couldn't. Accordingly, the Browns struggled before McCown led a drive for a field goal just before half.

He played that long partly out of design, but also because that's how long he needed to end on a good note.

The Browns showed some resilience on this night, the kind they'll need once they start playing for real. No reason to stop the game and give them an award. But after two tough days of practice against the Bills and even tougher slogging on two drives that ended in McCown interceptions, finishing the half with a 8:52 scoring drive was important.

McCown had some nice completions to tight end Rob Housler and Brian Hartline. Isaiah Crowell stiff-armed linebacker Preston Brown to the ground for a 13-yard gain.

If you care about such things, the field goal drive tied the game. The shift in momentum was far more important than the scoreboard.

The Browns' offense managed one shift. So did the Browns defense after getting gouged for 57 yards during Buffalo's 9:36 possession to begin the game.

That the Bills missed a field goal was celebrated in bend-but-don't-break clichés all over Twitter – some of them unironically -- but when the Bills are engineered by quarterback Tyrod Taylor and is missing its big-time playmakers, a football hitting the upright is a small saving grace.

The most telling and interesting matchup was Browns' offense against Bills' defense. The Browns don't just want to run the ball this season. They need to run the ball.

But McCown also needs to make good defenses respect his arm and reads to give the Browns a chance. The Browns got a C-minus out of the test by the end of the half but, believe me, they were heading for a F – and that doesn't stand for "flawless."

We were being reminded early that McCown was 1-10 in Tampa last season. And that the Browns lost five in a row to end their season.

McCown needs time with new personnel. The Browns are going to be challenged to stretch the field.

When LeBron James said nothing comes easy in northeast Ohio, everything is earned, I'm not sure he meant for the Browns offense but it's just as true.

Better that reality set in on an August night than in the opener.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M

Browns' Josh McCown finger X-rays negative, doesn't know if he'll need MRI on it

updated August 21, 2015 at 11:45 AM link

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Browns quarterback Josh McCown was late to his post-game interview, but not because he was trying to figure out how to explain his two interceptions in three drives.

No, McCown was tardy because he was in the X-ray room having pictures taken of his sore right ring finger, which was wrapped in an ACE bandage.

"Yeah, I just jammed a finger so just we're making sure everything's okay,'' he said. "We're just being super-cautious. (X-rays) were negative. Everything's fine. It feels fine.''

McCown, who was under siege much of the night by the Bills' premier pass rushers, said he doesn't know when he hurt the finger. The Browns also confirmed X-rays were negative.

"I just know it was sore,'' McCown said. "Like I said, we just took some precautionary pictures of it to make sure it's alright. I don't want to speculate moving forward. You know, something could change overnight, but I feel like it will be fine.''

McCown said he doesn't know if he'll have to undergo an MRI on the finger to see if there's any ligament damage. Third-team quarterback Connor Shaw underwent surgery Tuesday to repair ligament damage in his right thumb and is out for the season. Shaw, who also suffered a minor fracture, didn't know he needed surgery until a few days later.

"I don't know (about an MRI),'' said McCown. "I'll just defer to the trainers on that. I'll let the trainers and the doctors look at that and make their assessment and let me know what we need to do.''

As for his two interceptions in three series, McCown was upset with himself. He was also sacked three times and earned a 44.6 rating.

"Not good. Not. good,'' he said. "Two turnovers. I felt like other than those two plays, I threw the ball well and did the things I wanted to do with the football, but those two plays, you can't have turnovers. Outside of the pocket, one of the things that happens in preseason ball. ... I got outside and tried to make a play. I tried to keep that drive going and fit one in there to Gary (Barnidge) and the ball gets knocked up in the air and turned over. And so throw that one out of bounds, let Andy (Lee) pin them deep and our defense go to work. So we'll move on that. It's obviously not the standard I want to play at.''

Despite McCown's rough outing and Johnny Manziel's 96-yard TD drive -- against the Bills' second-team defense -- coach Mike Pettine re-iterated that McCown is "firmly the one. We'll evaluate both guys. I'm not going to sit here and talk about trying to start up a quarterback controversy."

If McCown needs any time to rest the thumb, he has nine days before the "dress rehearsal'' game in Tampa Aug. 29th.

C
Legend
Legend
C
The best thing that could happen to us is a McCown injury. He would still be around to mentor Manziel, but he wouldn't be able to play. It would also mean we are one Manziel injury away from Thad Lewis.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Looks like McCown and Pettine need to get their cover story on the same page...ring finger or thumb?

Just a hunch, Manziel starts with #1s next week.

Hey, maybe McCown hurt both his ring finger and thumb.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Thanks Mac,good enough excuse to get Johnny time with the #1's against the bucs

C
Legend
Legend
C

I really don't care what the reason is, Manziel needs to start.

Legend
Legend
Quote:
Hey, maybe McCown hurt both his ring finger and thumb.

That would be a shocker.

yebat' Putin
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B

I disagree. It serves no purpose having Manziel beaten like a drum. McCown will work the kinks out with DeFilippo and the offense turning the keys over later in the season if needed.

Everyone is putting way to much weight on a preseason game. Buffalo's defense is to good playing a vanilla offense against it.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Quote:
McCown will work the kinks out

rofl rofl

he has not worked the kinks out in 13 years and now you expect him to? rofl rofl

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
P
Legend
Legend
P
Everyone is putting way to much weight on a preseason game. Buffalo's defense is to good playing a vanilla offense against it.

I really don't put much stock in pre season games from a team standpoint. But what pre season does do is gives us hints about players tendencies.

ie... We can see that JFF is becoming more comfortable in the pocket. We can see he is getting the playbook down with audibles and is scrambling while looking downfield instead of looking to run. These are all tendencies of a player.

The same can be said for tendencies in McCown. Many of the same tendencies that caused his 1-10 record in Tampa Bay reared their ugly heads last night, much like some of the tendencies that made him look like the McCown in Chicago 2 years ago showed up last week.

The question then becomes which McCown do we get? So far, it looks like a combination of both.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C

I disagree. It serves no purpose having Manziel beaten like a drum. [/quote]

Our offensive line is pretty good. Manziel will only get hit if he freelances too much and that's on him.

McCown will work the kinks out with DeFilippo and the offense turning the keys over later in the season if needed.

McCown has been in the league since 2002 and has never been good. What we saw last night is what he is and what he always has been (bad). McCown and Manziel have the same floor, but Manziel has a much higher ceiling.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Pettine said in his presser that McCown is fine and that the QB situation is the same as is was before the game.

P
Legend
Legend
P
McCown and Manziel have the same floor, but Manziel has a much higher ceiling.

The only real concern I have with your opinion is that often times I've seen good QB potential that get thrown to the wolves before they're ready. I've seen it ruin their confidence as a leader and undermine their potential.

Now I'm not saying that it is the #1 reason many QB's fail, but I'm on the fence as to whether JFF should start because his ceiling is higher, or that he may get ruined being thrown to the wolves before he's ready,

It's a fine line to walk IMO

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C
If Manziel doesn't start this year we won't know what he is. We will then go into next year having him being an unknown entity and with another crappy veteran competing for the starting job. We would also be in the market for another young QB (via the draft).

It may be too early for Manziel, but we don't know. For me it's a now or never situation.

J
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
J
look at what actually makes up mccowns career record though.

2003 cards - 1-2. against 3 teams all playing for a playoff spot, combined record of 30-18.
2004 cards - 6-7. team won no other games without him.
2005 cards - 3-3. kurt warner takes over team, ends up with a 2-8 record.
cards dont reach a winning record until 2008 under kurt warner.

2007 raiders - 2-7. they won 2 games the entire year before? eh i dunno...

2011 bears 1-1.
2013 bears 3-2. 13TD 1INT

2014 bucs 1-10. lost offensive coordinator during preseason. in 11 starts mccown was sacked 36 times for a loss of 235 yards. the team finished with only 1 additional win.

thats all of his starts.

so on the pretty good bears, and the below average cardinals, his record was 14-15. on the horrible raiders and buccaneers his record was 3-17.

keep in mind he had emmitt smith rushing for him with the cards. now im not saying this dude should have been given a really great set up and chance to be a legit franchise QB in this league. but what i am saying is, he hasnt ever really had an ideal set up. and when he has, he did pretty good. when he was in a "meh" situation, he did average. when he was in a real crappy situation, yeah, he played like garbage.

i'd like to believe we are a bit above where the cardinals were, and realistically maybe a notch or two below the 2013 bears. But i know we've got one hell of a pass protecting offensive line, i believe we have a solid but under rated receiving corps, capable tight ends who are good blockers, some running backs who have me scratching my head but i know they are capable, and then a defense that when healthy IS going to step up and beast mode this season.

we arent tampa, we arent oakland, the cardinals mccown played for were us a few years ago, and were reaching those 2013 bears. i see no reason mccown cant play decent football here. he doesnt have to be the narrative his overall record suggests.

im still on board for johnny riding the pine, learning, and continuing to improve doing exactly what ever it has been that hes been doing.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Josh McCown continued

Link Copied to Clipboard