M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M

Report: Dwayne Bowe will be inactive

Posted by Zac Jackson on September 13, 2015, 8:40 AM EDT

NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport reported that the Browns plan to make veteran wide receiver Dwayne Bowe inactive for Sunday’s season opener vs. the Jets.

So far, the team’s play to add a big receiver in the absence of the suspended Josh Gordon has been a big bust. The Browns gave Bowe $9 million guaranteed when he signed a two-year deal last March, and that deal may have kept him from being cut earlier this month.

The Browns listed Bowe as questionable on their Friday injury report. He missed almost all of training camp with a hamstring issue, then played in the final two preseason games but showed up on the injury report this week. He was listed as a third-teamer on this week’s depth chart, which Browns coach Mike Pettine insisted meant nothing.

Last week’s release of Terrelle Pryor left the Browns with six receivers on their 53-man roster, one being core special teams player Marlon Moore. If Bowe doesn’t play that would indicate the starting receivers Sunday will be Brian Hartline and Andrew Hawkins with Travis Benjamin and Taylor Gabriel as backups.

link

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Legend
Legend
So we released Pryor....and now have pretty much no size at the WR position.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
V
Legend
Legend
V
$9 million. Nice.

M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
I just posted in another thread that Pettine can't turn this thing around by himself...that others in the organization must do their part too.

We got rid of a wr who had the desire to play in Cleveland with a guy our GM knew from his days working for the Chiefs.

On the surface, it looks like Bowe is simply going through the motions...a huge disappoint!

Legend
Legend
i wouldn't be surprised if Bowe has already checked out mentally.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Somehow the Farmer apologists will find a way to defend him
Over signing Bowe.
Bowe was getting very little interest in the off season yet the Browns
Pay him like he was must have player

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: mac
I just posted in another thread that Pettine can't turn this thing around by himself...that others in the organization must do their part too.

We got rid of a wr who had the desire to play in Cleveland with a guy our GM knew from his days working for the Chiefs.

On the surface, it looks like Bowe is simply going through the motions...a huge disappoint!

I agree (sighs).

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper
Over signing Bowe.

Somehow the Farmer bashers will complain if he farts while sitting on the toilet. Bowe could end up being a good signing OR a bad one but we have not played a single game yet and your writing him of already notallthere As for over paying him rolleyes Do you pay his salary yourself? Did paying him keep us from signing anybody else? Are we over or close to the cap? The answer to all three of those questions is NO so who gives a crap what he is getting paid. It doesn't matter.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
D
Legend
Legend
D
Report: Bowe signing looking like a big fat joke.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Is it possible he's actually hurt?

D
Legend
Legend
D
Hamstrings are tricky injuries that can linger for weeks, so I can't blame the guy if he's hurt. But I have to admit that I'm starting to get a feeling that Bowe is cashing in with his last NFL stop at our (Haslam's) expense. It reminds me of when the Indians signed a washed up Keith Hernandez back in the 90's, and he played a total of 40 games - due to a hammy - while cashing in for about $2M (which was a load of cash for the early 90's Tribe). It was generally understood by the Indians FO, the media, and the fans that Keith was malingering most of the year. We'll see pretty shortly if Bowe is motivated to earn his check or not.

Last edited by Dave; 09/13/15 10:10 AM.
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
Is it possible he's actually hurt?

He'd better be. Or at least just being eased in gradually because of the hammy.

Good LORD, this team . . .

Legend
Legend
well, listening to defilippo just now on the radio ... he said he was disappointed in Bowe ... got the sense he wasn't very pleased

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
Dude is a bum. What a waste of salary cap space and a roster spot.

I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Bowe has little desire to play the game.
But Farmer is a genius GM for signing him.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
$9 million. Nice.

"Got em!" - Dwayne Bowe

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: HewDawg
$9 million. Nice.

"Got em!" - Dwayne Bowe

rofl rofl

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Originally Posted By: GMdawg
Over signing Bowe.

Somehow the Farmer bashers will complain if he farts while sitting on the toilet. Bowe could end up being a good signing OR a bad one but we have not played a single game yet and your writing him of already notallthere As for over paying him rolleyes Do you pay his salary yourself? Did paying him keep us from signing anybody else? Are we over or close to the cap? The answer to all three of those questions is NO so who gives a crap what he is getting paid. It doesn't matter.

The problem is that Farmer signed Bowe to fill a need when everyone in the NFL knows that he isn't worth the money. That signing was probably the 2nd worst signing of any team in the offseason. The worst signing is McCown. While we have pulled in some talent in UDFAs and through the practice squad, Farmer isn't doing very well in the FA signing department.

On another note, I'm not sure that this is Farmer or the coaching staff, but it burns me that we see Dion Lewis doing well as well as guys like big WR Charles Johnson starting at WR for the Vikings while we are struggling at the position.

Legend
Legend
Assuming he checked in at some point in the first place. Should be well rested. Lenz might have helped some today. Just pathetic.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
thanks a lot bowe

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
B
All Pro
All Pro
B
Originally Posted By: mac

So far, the team’s play to add a big receiver in the absence of the suspended Josh Gordon has been a big bust.

Bowe is an overpaid team cancer who never should have be signed, but Ray-Ray was desperate. He is losing more power within JH's eyes. Pettine might buy himself another year as Ray-Ray implodes.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I would cut him and bring Pryor back. Couldn't hurt.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
Over signing Bowe.

And somehow, guys like you will blame the fans for Farmer's idiotic moves.

Yeah, it's our fault that we overpaid a guy who has been busted by the league, had alligator arms, has slowed down, and never lived up to the potential he had coming out of college.

Btw............how did the Jets get Brandon Marshall?

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

frown

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
I was seriously asking, not being a smart alec. How much did the Jets give up for him and what is his salary? Anyone know? If not, I will do a search later. Too freaking irritated to do it now.

M
Legend
Legend
M
I was seriously asking, not being a smart alec. How much did the Jets give up for him and what is his salary? Anyone know? If not, I will do a search later. Too freaking irritated to do it now.

Jets got him for a 5th round pick. His contract is for 3 years/$26M with $9M guaranteed.

C
Legend
Legend
C

The Jets got Marshall (and a 7th round pick) for a fifth round pick. He signed an extension with the Jets, so it's hard to see how much the contract he got traded with was worth. But he's making [gulp] $9 million this year.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Marshall will count $7.7 million against the Jets' cap -- a $7.5 million base salary, which becomes guaranteed Thursday, plus a $200,000 workout bonus. They can save $10.5 million by releasing Harvin.

Gave up a 5th rounder

trade

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

Didn't think you were being a smart alec.

The frown was because they probably could have got him if they would have at least tried.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

The Jets got Marshall (and a 7th round pick) for a fifth round pick. He signed an extension with the Jets, so it's hard to see how much the contract he got traded with was worth. But he's making [gulp] $9 million this year.

Here is the break down of his contract. He's got $9M guaranteed. The same amount guaranteed to Bowe.

Marshall Contract Link

V
Legend
Legend
V
Thanks guys. <<sigh>>

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Vers, as long as Farmer is Gm we will not have a big time playmaker at WR. They score TD's and our goal it seems is to not score TD's.

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
B
All Pro
All Pro
B

who gives a crap what he is getting paid. It doesn't matter.

Sorry PeeWee, not the fans fault no matter how you try to blame them...

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
So the Bowe signing was a serious head scratcher as have been most of his FA moves. Farmer has released what seems to be better talent than what we have starting. It's obvious that he is clueless on draft day. How is it possible to keep hiring coaches and GMs that are so much worse than the ones before them. What does Farmer do well besides text? Oh wait...

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: WhatCanBrownDo4U
Farmer has released what seems to be better talent than what we have starting.

Who are you thinking of?

Practice Squad
Practice Squad
I knew Bowe was a waste of time. It seems as if all players at speed positions begin to do a LOT of talking when the legs dont work well anymore. I cant think of anyone on the roster who has done more BS interviews than him. They say all the right things, but on gameday you get Zilch. Dwayne should be cut, take our loss on the chin and move on. Ray Farmers seat is getting hotter by the hour. The guy just doesnt seem to get the fact we need at least a few playmakers on the roster.

Legend
Legend
Quote:
And somehow, guys like you will blame the fans for Farmer's idiotic moves.

Nope I blame the idiotic moves he has made on HIM. You can read back through my posts and see for yourself. What I don't blame on him is the rain, cold temps, and the missing toilet paper when somebody takes a dump and realizes to late that there is none within reach. Some folks around here want to blame him for everything in life, yet give him zero credit for the good moves he has made. All I have been saying is it's to early to praise or bash him right now.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

They traded a 5th round pick to the Bears for him. HMMMM no other team offered more than that. Not the Browns, Pats, Steelers, Ravens, Packers, Colts, nobody. Marshall does have baggage in his past as well, but the Jets know him very well since Bowles, Rex Hogan, and Karl Dorrell and have been around him in either Miami or Chicago.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: berea

who gives a crap what he is getting paid. It doesn't matter.

Sorry PeeWee, not the fans fault no matter how you try to blame them...

Sorry troll

and QUIT PEEKING

M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
It may be that the Browns are trying to trade Bowe, to get something out of him so the deal to bring him to Cleveland is not a total bust.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2015 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 10 Jets 31 Report: Dwayne Bowe will be inactive

Link Copied to Clipboard