Originally Posted by WooferDawg
Originally Posted by AZBrown
"Jaco" by Bill Milkowski (about the life of the greatest bass player to ever touch the instrument)

Entwhistle is the greatest bass player bar none.

If you knew Jaco's playing, depth of music theory/writing/arranging, innovative right-hand touch/left-hand command of the fingerboard- and overall influence on the bass playing world, you wouldn't make such a comment. 2 whole generations of world-class working pro bass players all say the same thing as Bootsy Collins, when they talk about Jaco's influence:

"Before Jaco, bass didn't know what it was yet."

I get the love for JE, but it's not even close. No other player pushed the boundaries of what could be conceived and played on an electric bass than John Francis Pastorius.

45 years ago, a punk kid in his 20's laid this down on an album that changed the way ALL bass players viewed their instrument of choice.

One player.
One bass.
One take.
Zero overdubs.

Listen to this marvel a few times, and you'll start to understand how this musician's mind worked. Start to understand.

...and in this cut, Pastorius not only sets the bar for laying down basslines and comping, at 2:35, he plays a solo on a Fender Jazz Bass that redefined what could be done on the instrument.

I'm sorry, my friend... but John Entwhistle didn't even know that bass could do this stuff.
Jaco not only redefined what an electric bass could do, he also redefined its role in a band (Google: "Word Of Mouth Bands")

a music guy by trade and training