Originally Posted by archbolddawg
So, stats like wor mean something? That takes into account NOTHING other than when X plays over Y, wins are this.

First of all it's WAR, wins ABOVE replacement, and if you think they "mean nothing" go check the correlation between team wins, player salaries and WAR. Or how closely their predictions deviate from expected outcomes. Or, you know, read a basic book on statistics and stochastic processes to figure out any odds more complicated than a coin flip.

Wait, never mind, correlation, expected values, stochastic processes.....those are terms for nerds (they might even be made up!). Don't need nuttin but addition and subtraction on ma fingers.

After all, those scientists, engineers and physicists never were worth much anyway. They haven't had to figure out deeper meaning or reasoning behind things in order to more accurately predict future outcomes in their advantage. Nope. And applying that concept to sports to find hidden values to extract and find minute ways to gain advantages over opponents is probably pretty dumb too.

Shoot, look at that Isaac Newton fella. Dude just needed a noggin, his eyeballs and an apple to figure out gravity. Pssh - statistics. Stats are for losers.

Originally Posted by archbolddawg
Use the eye test.

I'm more of a real life dude: Can you do it? I don't go in for stats like on 3rd and 3, this team has made a first 40% of the time running to the left, but 50% of the time running right.

I know right?! The human eye has the ability to see all, and the human brain has the ability to perceive everything perfectly clearly, without biases or limitations, every time always. Same goes for that feeling I get in my gut. Or it could be heartburn.

P.S. There's a reason people who think like this are QUICKLY going the way of the dodo bird in front offices and coaching staffs in the NFL. Everybody thought Bill James and Billy Beane were buffoons and "nerds" before they weren't and every organization in MLB decided to literally adopt and mimic their processes too.

Hey - honestly - stats can lie too. Even advanced stats. But they're a helluva lot better than "use the eye test". You still need a heavy dose of expertise on the sport and understanding of how to interpret the stats along with some good old common sense. But, no, stats definitely DO "mean something".