Good question. To be honest, I have no clue when it comes to New Jersey. For VA, though, I think that McAuliffe has been on his heels in the education front for a while now. Youngkin is also one of those conservatives who somehow figured out the sweet spot of getting both Trump and centrist Conservative support.

I think Van Jones is correct too - in what Memphis posted. Democrats on the political front are very annoying, as a whole. They obviously can't get their acts together. They don't seem to have much of a plan, let alone a unified front. They seem entitled to have the moral high ground and don't seem to realize that going against Trump isn't enough to satisfy their constituents. And this is no endorsement of Trump or the Republicans, whatsoever, as everyone in this forum knows where I stand. Honestly, though, it's very annoying. Do more than talk about what you want to do and actually do something, and stop pointing fingers at who you think is bad and start engaging earnestly.

I think Van is also correct in something he mentioned briefly - anti-incumbent. I think that's an undertone that pans the political spectrum. It's pretty obvious that corrupt, career politicians have milked the system for decades now. This is just my belief, but I feel like people see that, get frustrated that nothing gets done and either vote in a fiery outsider, like Trump, or just say "You guys can't get it done, so we're voting in the other side of the coin." Rinse and repeat.

You would hope this will be a wake-up call for Democrats, but I think we'll just see more of the blame game, frustration and disorder.

Edit ~ there was something I was trying to get to, which I couldn't find the words for, but David Axelrod said it in a reply post to the Van Jones one that Memphis posted. The annoyance with the Democrats often comes from the moralizing and self-righteous tone. I think that hit the nail on the head.