Originally Posted by DevilDawg2847
Originally Posted by cfrs15
Originally Posted by Hammer
Browns have just average dudes...

What has changed since the off-season when we thought we were deep at receiver?

I still maintain that we are trying to get too many people involved on offense. Its why in the passing game we struggle to get a 100yrd pass catcher every weekend. I know some will talk about how OBJ draws so much attention, but when the opposing defense is putting 5,6,7+ in the box, and continue to do so throughout the game, its because they aren't afraid of any of your pass catchers. Its great we have so many options, but it seems like the goal is to get as many involved even if its only a couple receptions each versus looking to see which of your guys might have the hot hand that day and riding that horse as far as it'll take you. I guess the most obvious example to me would be Njoku this year.
I have felt for a while that Stefanski's biggest problem is that he outsmarts himself too often. The rest of the NFL is playing chess and he's trying to play quantum physics. How many times on 3rd and 2 or 3 where the whole playbook should be open, with maybe the best running game in the league, do we go shotgun empty backfield? Basically tell the LBs and safeties, "Hey, no need to respect the run, feel free to go straight into pass coverage." And... he does it in situations where he KNOWS he's going for it on 4th down anyway. How many times have we ever run the ball on consecutive plays, not on the goal line, with Chubb or Hunt and we didn't get at least 3 yards?

And I do tend to agree that Stefanski calls the game in such a way to get everybody some touches between all of the TEs, the few WRs, Chubb and Hunt... It's like nobody ever really gets into the flow of the game and starts "feeling it" because their touches are always limited and spaced apart. And just when somebody does make a series of good plays, they get taken out and don't get another chance for a couple more possessions...