Originally Posted by FATE
Originally Posted by Bird
Originally Posted by bonefish
The year we drafted Baker I did more quarterback research than I have ever done. We had the first pick and we were going to pick a quarterback.

I spent months watching tape endlessly of the top guys. I have to admit Darnold was my first choice. But it was no slam dunk.

Baker really intriqued me. I liked the form of Josh Rosen throwing the ball but I didn't like him as a leader.

Honestly I thought Lamar would never make it as a passer. His talent as a runner was clear. I give him major credit for his improvement as a passer.

The guy who I thought had a long way to go in development was Allen. But I also felt he had the biggest upside of any player in the that draft.

His physical skill set was tops. He was tough as nails. He had that Jim Kelly physicality. His arm was incredible. He also showed he could be a leader.

The big problem with him was decision making. That of all things in the evaluation of quarterback can define the risk of failure or success. He would not give up on plays and he would try to play hero ball. Most of the time it would result in turnovers.

I thought he could be one of those guys who would be rushed into playing and could fall on his face. The Bills to their credit really worked with him. They stuck with him. He made mistakes in bunches. But he kept improving. He made a huge leap in year three. He still on occasion reverts back to old bad habits. But then he recovers.

The Bills payed him. They made him a franchise quarterback.

Interestingly, Mel Kiper thought the Browns should go all in on him. Usually I don't put much into Mel's take. He said Allen was a gamble but the Browns should roll the dice and go all in.

I remember the Board. Nobody wanted him.
Yeah, I figured Allen was one concussion away from drooling into his soup. So far he has proven everybody wrong.
Allen was far and away my top pick, I touted him here for months. Everyone that chirped with the "accuracy" bs (like it was impossible to change), I countered with the fact that I would gladly give away those 3 passes a game for someone that can make every throw, from every angle, and runs like Gronk in the open field.

BTW, Bird, aren't you talking about Rosen?
I coulda sworn it was Allen that had a history of concussions. But then again I do suffer from c.r.a.f.t. Can’t Remember a Freaking thing.