Originally Posted by PrplPplEater
The context that is missing, of course, is Why?
There is no doubt that he is inconsistent. What is the Why behind those inconsistencies.

Looking at his entire NFL Career - I have some whys that I believe to be relevant: 4 HC in 3 years. 4 OC in 3 years. Hue Jackson. Freddie Kitchens.... then a rebuild of his mechanics at the start of his 3rd year under KS with a new QB coach changing his footwork. Then there were two "bad weather games" .... Folks pretty much gave Mac Jones and Josh Allen a pass this past week because of the bad weather - in the 2020 Raiders game the weather was as bad and Baker threw 12/25 and got panned for it. In the Texans game Nov 15th it was worse with gusts up to 72 mph ... Baker went 12/20 and again got panned.

Maybe Baker just isn't that good - but I see valid reasons for most of his really bad play in addition to his own issues. Those reasons/influences add and create the acute inconsistency to my mind. I mean Kitchens was a truly inept HC - but Baker was also ill prepared that season and over weight and out of condition, there is blame enough for both of them, but I don't believe Baker has been given the same stable opportunity for success as Lamar or Allen for example.