Originally Posted by mgh888
Originally Posted by PrplPplEater
The context that is missing, of course, is Why?
There is no doubt that he is inconsistent. What is the Why behind those inconsistencies.

Looking at his entire NFL Career - I have some whys that I believe to be relevant: 4 HC in 3 years. 4 OC in 3 years. Hue Jackson. Freddie Kitchens.... then a rebuild of his mechanics at the start of his 3rd year under KS with a new QB coach changing his footwork. Then there were two "bad weather games" .... Folks pretty much gave Mac Jones and Josh Allen a pass this past week because of the bad weather - in the 2020 Raiders game the weather was as bad and Baker threw 12/25 and got panned for it. In the Texans game Nov 15th it was worse with gusts up to 72 mph ... Baker went 12/20 and again got panned.

Maybe Baker just isn't that good - but I see valid reasons for most of his really bad play in addition to his own issues. Those reasons/influences add and create the acute inconsistency to my mind. I mean Kitchens was a truly inept HC - but Baker was also ill prepared that season and over weight and out of condition, there is blame enough for both of them, but I don't believe Baker has been given the same stable opportunity for success as Lamar or Allen for example.

You forgot to mention that this year Baker has been incredibly beaten up physically. Despite what he and the team has been saying, it has most certainly affected his performance. He had the bye week to get healthy. Let's see what he does this week and the rest of the season.

He should have sat against Detroit. People argued what is better 50% Baker or 100% Case but that is a short sighted argument. The question should have been, what is better, Baker at 50%, 50%, 50% or Case at 100% Baker at 80%, Baker at 80%

I agree with you about Allen and Lamar. Allen has 2 good games and 2 bad games and the narrative is he is so good, he just had a couple bad games. When Baker does that he sux. Lamar has 8 interceptions in his last 4 games. Why is nobody talking about that? Yes he had some good years but he has never been great as a passer. His primary value is his running ability which is awesome. So what has happened? Teams were afraid to blitz him for fear of giving up giant runs. But now they have figured out how to blitz him in a way that keeps him from scrambling. Right now Lamar is really confused and can't figure out how to handle it. If he figures it out look out but if he doesn't he is going to continue to struggle leaving the ravens quite vulnerable.